Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 01-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Lil'BlueCoupe
No!..... It's Not a HEMI!

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Question Nitrogen filled Tires Are they worth it?

Hey folks, I have a little issue here, I have the nitrogen filled tires on my LT and I live out on a dirt road, obviously I have lots of tire issues such as punctures and small leaks and this has happened on all my cars since I have lived here. I have always had my air compressor at the ready and have managed to maintain my tires just fine with it.
The main question here is- is it really much of a difference having nitrogen in a tire vs a tire filled with regular air? does it really do anything different having nitrogen?
I ask this because for one I obviously dont have a nitrogen system at my house to maintain my tires and I don't even know where I can go and get them filled with nitrogen other then a chevy dealership. Should I just go to using regular air? I have gone this far in life using regular air in them.
I have had my car for a month now and my passenger rear tire is 5 PSI lower than the others, tomorrow I am having my heritage grill installed and so I will be having them look at the tire and refilling it.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Nitrogen filled Tires Are they worth it?
No, end of story!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Nope, air is almost 80% nitrogen anyways
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Supercharged SS
I think nitrogen is a huge ripoff. Like bottled water
Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Shadow Camaro

Drives: Rally Yellow 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
oxygen is made up of a little over 70% of nitrogen, Nitrogen has bigger particles so it leaks through the tire rubber at a slower rate. The rest of the particles leak faster. So if you think about it, every time you put air in your tires, you increase the percentage of nitrogen in them. You will never be at 100% but definately close after many fill ups lol.

Thats just how i look at it. my .02

Rotofab CAI, SW LT Headers and High Flow Cats, SW Cat-Back, Eibach Pro rear wheel spacers, SS Grill Insert, Street Scene Front Splitter, Blacked out rear emblem, blacked out bezels, plasti-dipped lower bumper, plasti-dipped rims with yellow pinstriping, dyed interior stitching yellow, 2x Kicker CVR 12's w/ 1200 watt kicker amp. MORE TO COME!
Shadow Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
GEN-IV
HEMI Hunter

Drives: 06 GTO / 79 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Camaro View Post
oxygen is made up of a little over 70% of nitrogen, Nitrogen has bigger particles so it leaks through the tire rubber at a slower rate. The rest of the particles leak faster. So if you think about it, every time you put air in your tires, you increase the percentage of nitrogen in them. You will never be at 100% but definately close after many fill ups lol.

You meant air, right? Otherwise you summed it up perfectly!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Lil'BlueCoupe

Thanks folks I appreciate all the advice, a buddy of mine said that nitrogen was the way to go but he had no real viable reason as to why.
It's easier for me to access regular air with my compressor and it is more convenient when it comes to filling my tires.
The car had nitrogen filled tires at the dealership and so I had no choice but to get it that way, unless I was just going to stand there while they let the nitrogen out of them all and then just pump them up with regular air lol.
The longer I have this car and think about the tires, the more I am just thinking of filling up the tires like I am used to doing, and I am also thinking of filling them up a little firmerabout another five pounds. This is the practice I have always been doing on my cars and have never had any issues when it came to tire wear, and I actually got better gas mileage when I did that. For example when I had my Avalanche I had new tires put on and they filled them to around 35 PSI (the reccomended pressure written on the door) and I drove it twenty miles home and noticed that the vehicle was getting really crappy mileage, I then filled the tires up to around 42~44 PSI and I got way better mileage, the tires even lasted a long time as well after that.
I even fill the tires up on my 04 Monte Carlo supercharged up to 42 PSI and it too gets better gas mileage than it used to with the old "reccomended" pressures.
I have a good friend that used to work in tire shops and he even turned me on to that little trick. Hmmmmm I think I need to call him and talk to him about the nitrogen filled tires.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
NOPE......AIR IS FREE! if you have to pay for something to presurize your tires....BUY A COMPRESSOR.....
Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'BlueCoupe View Post
Thanks folks I appreciate all the advice, a buddy of mine said that nitrogen was the way to go but he had no real viable reason as to why.
It's easier for me to access regular air with my compressor and it is more convenient when it comes to filling my tires.
The car had nitrogen filled tires at the dealership and so I had no choice but to get it that way, unless I was just going to stand there while they let the nitrogen out of them all and then just pump them up with regular air lol.
The longer I have this car and think about the tires, the more I am just thinking of filling up the tires like I am used to doing, and I am also thinking of filling them up a little firmerabout another five pounds. This is the practice I have always been doing on my cars and have never had any issues when it came to tire wear, and I actually got better gas mileage when I did that. For example when I had my Avalanche I had new tires put on and they filled them to around 35 PSI (the reccomended pressure written on the door) and I drove it twenty miles home and noticed that the vehicle was getting really crappy mileage, I then filled the tires up to around 42~44 PSI and I got way better mileage, the tires even lasted a long time as well after that.
I even fill the tires up on my 04 Monte Carlo supercharged up to 42 PSI and it too gets better gas mileage than it used to with the old "reccomended" pressures.
I have a good friend that used to work in tire shops and he even turned me on to that little trick. Hmmmmm I think I need to call him and talk to him about the nitrogen filled tires.
Just fill as need with regular air, no need to empty the nitrogen. Home Depot had a nice Husky 2 gallon air compressor on sale recently for $49 (I picked one up), you may want to look into that for home fill up's.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
nancygrl
155 mil na godzinę

Drives: Sapphire Moon Whisper 2013 2LT
imo, unless you're into serious racing then stay with nitrogen, otherwise there's nothing wrong with regular air.

Gone but not forgotten....2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 6M.......Traded 8/2013
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Lil'BlueCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Just fill as need with regular air, no need to empty the nitrogen. home Depot had a nice husky 2 gallon air compressor on sale recently for $49 (I picked one up), you may want to look into that for home fill up's.
Like I said before, I have an air compressor at the ready all the time because I am always having to repair them/ fill them. However it is about time to get a new one, I have a DeVilbas 20 gallon compressor that I have had for about twenty years now and it is really starting to show it's age although i have rebuilt it twice, rebuilding air compressors is easy, I haven't found a broken down compressor yet that I cannot fix, that is how I get some really nice compressors for DIRT cheap because folks think they are non repairable.
I actually like the large capacity compressors because living out on this dirt road I use them for blowing all the dust out of my cars almost on a daily basis.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Its not worth it for daily driving. As everyone mentioned atmospheric air on earth is mostly nitrogen.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
I had the $5US/tire nitrogen fill and they vary between 36 and 34 80F to 20F.

What more do you want?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
I think nitrogen is a huge ripoff. Like bottled water
Brother, I couldn't agree more! Nitrogen IS air.
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
There is a slight difference in heat build up between Nitrogen fill and normal air but not enough for any but the most hard core of racing to notice. It certainly isnt worth paying to get more nitrogen in your tires.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
FL1CK
MOVE!

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I haven't paid to get my tire pressure regulated once with Nitrogen, it's been free every time... sorry for your $5 rip-off
Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
Pain505

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
The only benefit of nitrogen, is the tires will maintain the air pressure for longer periods of time. But if your always on dirt roads then there is no point

Sent From My Droid
Old 01-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
Atlas
Would you kindly...

Drives: Destitute
I guess about the only benefit I could think of when pumping pure N2 gas into your tires is that nitrogen is less prone to pressure deviation upon temperature changes, leading to consistent inflation. The difference between 'air' and nitrogen is about 20%.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #19
JWood
RJT 2LT is a blast

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2004 Tahoe
Nitrogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
I had the $5US/tire nitrogen fill and they vary between 36 and 34 80F to 20F.

What more do you want?
I think you are exaggerating as both air and nitrogen will change 1.9% per 10 degrees. The amount of moisture has a bigger effect so keep your air dry.
TPW (11-09-09)
3300 Order Scheduled for Production (10-27-09)
3400 Order Broadcast (11-03-09)
3800 Order Produced (11-06-09)
VIN 2G1FG1EV1A9165197
Avialable to ship (11-09-09)
Shipped (11-12-09) Rail car ETTX 852949
Delivered (11-25-09)
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: RED DEMON!
When i lived in North Pole Alaska all our cars had Nitrogen in the tires, just this morning it was -51 degrees below zero, up there it helps with driving on square tires till they heat up plus tire pressure stays more constant with the constant varying of the temperatures!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #21
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood View Post
I think you are exaggerating as both air and nitrogen will change 1.9% per 10 degrees. The amount of moisture has a bigger effect so keep your air dry.
Well that is what we see.

Just from our experience.

Cheap and effective.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #22
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: EB Expedition, 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Camaro View Post

Yep, totally agree. Except I know you meant air not oxygen. Explained it the same way to my co-worker awhile back. He looked puzzled, jaw dropped and then got it. We hammered him about for about a month. Pretty funny, situational.
Nitrous Outlet Plate (progressive, fuel hose upgrade, remote opener, heater, filter, console switches), LNC2000, ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers, Jet Hot Coated LTs, JRE SCT Tune, CAI, Rx Catch Can, Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res, Metco loop, Momentum Tunnel Brace, Autometer wideband, Fesler Pillar Pod, LED strips (interior), Lloyds floor & trunk mats, LED DRL/front turn & license plate, DRL harness, VLEDs tail lights, Plasticoat Bowties, vinyl Bowtie center caps. No holes drilled. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov. 19, 2009 13.17 @ 112.6 Bone stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #23
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farthestnorth View Post
When i lived in North Pole Alaska all our cars had Nitrogen in the tires, just this morning it was -51 degrees below zero, up there it helps with driving on square tires till they heat up plus tire pressure stays more constant with the constant varying of the temperatures!
You Eskimo's and your oneupmanship on temp variations.

-51 is too fricken cold for me. Is it a dry or wet cold?
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #24
gotroost

Drives: IOM 2SS RS
If done correctly (big if depending on dealer), I think its a big plus. I live in SE Arizona with big (40 degree or more) temp swings and the tire pressures are way more stable. Plus they do not bleed off "air" as quickly. I've only had to add air 4 times in 2 years and part of that was lowering them down at a high temp location.

All being said, compressor and regular checking can't be beat. Mine was part of the deal and dealer fills for free.

Can't really vouch for track experience. Too busy trying not to loose it

Mods: JRE 470 cam kit, Dynatech long tubes/hi-flo cats, SLP underdrive pulley, CAI intake/ADM scoop, Pfadt Stage 2 suspension, Hotchkiss strut tower brace, Proven Wicked tow hook and end links, DBA rotors, some bloody knuckles, still in progress...
gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #25
pastohio

Drives: Indy Pace Car
Nitrogen is the way to go, it keeps the rubber inside the tires to "live" longer, less moisture dryout, keeps the pressure more stable, larger molecules so IF you get a screw or nail in the tire, the air leaks out less ....especially if the car sits for periods of time, air pressure is more stable, I have an aviation background and only used in jets tires as well...I put it in all my collector, and even in my car trailers, trailers have a big swing in tire pressure when towing...also with less tire pressure swing, less heat which is a big problem with rubber tires....my $.02
pastohio is offline   Reply With Quote