Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Soundplus

Drives: 2012 Silver Ice SS2 RS
Mods and Launch control.

My 12 SS2 has launch control. but I am wondering when I start putting on the mods to the car will the launch control continue to work or will the mods over power it's settings and no longer work properly?

any intel on this yet
Soundplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
BTW...all 5th Gen M6 Camaros come with launch control.

IMO.....don't use it. When I go drag racing I turn off all the nanny controls.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
I wouldnt use the launch control anyway...... i cant pull myself to dump the clutch at 4k rpm and then have the ABS fight the wheel spin. Just my opinion tho.

**Agree with Caverman..... never use it, @ track... all nannies off
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
there is a video floating around here that gm made and did tests with there test driver and without launch control he ran a 3.5 0-60 in the z06 which is pretty good considering it shows it does 0-60 in 3.7 but the kicker was then he used launch control and ran a 3.6. And as gm put it makes it where a no brainer everyday driver can run almost the same 0-60 time as a pro. Just put it to the floor and let the car do the work. That was gm's statement and y they put it in the car. But yes i was wondering the samething on the mods side. I have a cam now and other things. When the track opens im going try both ways and see which is faster.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Unless you would like to see your clutch pedal stick to the floor, DON'T USE LAUNCH CONTROL! Been there done that.

I agree with Caverman about turning off the nannies while drag racing with ONE exception, leave the stability control on. In the event the car gets squirlly it will save you from hitting the wall. It is much faster than you will ever be.

Drag lanes are quite narrow and those walls are quite close at high speeds so for peace of mind I turn off the traction but leave the stability on as a "just in case". As long as you stay pointed in your intended direction, straight, it will not intervene. By the time you say, "Oh Chit", it's too late but the computer would have saved you and you would not have even known it.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS used to OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
you can use launch control with extra power. I'm making 550 at the wheels and I've used it with one HUGE disclaimer... DO NOT rev to 4K like GM claims and DO NOT side step the clutch...

all you need is about 2k on the RPM and a quick release (not side step) of the clutch. once the clutch is all the way out Mash the gas to the floor and it should hold.

I have blown through the launch control at higher RPMs launch control will stop working at higher RPMs so, depending on how much power you have, you might still toast the tires in 1st and 2nd.

it just takes a little playing with to figure out how to make it work for you.

But as others have said, if you are serious about learning to launch the car well, you would be better off learning without the computer at all.

FWIW
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
dshep214

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
you can use launch control with extra power. I'm making 550 at the wheels and I've used it with one HUGE disclaimer... DO NOT rev to 4K like GM claims and DO NOT side step the clutch...

all you need is about 2k on the RPM and a quick release (not side step) of the clutch. once the clutch is all the way out Mash the gas to the floor and it should hold.

I have blown through the launch control at higher RPMs launch control will stop working at higher RPMs so, depending on how much power you have, you might still toast the tires in 1st and 2nd.

it just takes a little playing with to figure out how to make it work for you.

But as others have said, if you are serious about learning to launch the car well, you would be better off learning without the computer at all.

FWIW
You must have done something wrong for your clutch to stick? I have done this on a vette and a camaro and had no problems. I was just worried about my improved hp and how it would work.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshep214 View Post
You must have done something wrong for your clutch to stick? I have done this on a vette and a camaro and had no problems. I was just worried about my improved hp and how it would work.
my clutch never stuck. are you sure you meant to quote me?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
dshep214

Lol ur quote popped up right as I hit quote I guess lol. My bad no I ment the quote above u. Dang iPhone
Old 01-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

LOL
Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
I've never had success with the launch control...on my stickier drag radials, the car hooks really well at the track (I was surprised for 20" rims). I tried with launch control just to see...the car left the line really well, then the launch control made it buck as it modulated the throttle for no particular reason...the tires weren't spinning...

My best 60' on the Nitto's (275/40/20 NT555r's) is a 1.70, without launch control...I don't think it would even be below 1.9 with launch control.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #12
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshep214 View Post
Ha ha, yea... I used it. Never again. I use drag radials and pull decent 60ft times now with my launches. It's late and off the top of my head I wanna say it's a 1.80ish. I am listed in the 1/4 mile list, somewhere.

I have used it in the past and I would say 1 out of every 3 tries my clutch would stick to the floor so I don't bother anymore. I am faster than it now anyway.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS used to OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is online now   Reply With Quote