Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
Oil cap breather?

Getting a cam swap and wondering if this rx catch can and oil cap breather will give the tuner problems? I thought I read somewhere that this breather is okay but I want to find out for sure
Old 01-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Essentially, you'll be letting unmetered air into the engine through the crankcase system that hasn't been measured by the MAF...I wouldn't do it.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
Essentially, you'll be letting unmetered air into the engine through the crankcase system that hasn't been measured by the MAF...I wouldn't do it.
Please research before posting on a topic.

The RX oil breather has a check valve to only allow air out of the crankcase, not in. This helps with positive crankcase ventilation and decreases oil blow by.

If you got an oil breather off of eBay per say, that didn't have a check valve. Then yes you would be letting unmetered air into the crankcase.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
Thank you Stieger
Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
MikeOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

The RX oil breather has a check valve to only allow air out of the crankcase, not in. This helps with positive crankcase ventilation and decreases oil blow by.

If you got an oil breather off of eBay per say, that didn't have a check valve. Then yes you would be letting unmetered air into the crankcase.
My mistake, complete missed where he listed a specific brand.

If the check valve is reliable, then yeah, shouldn't affect the tune at all.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
ducq

Okay I don't have to go digging for that tube and stock oil cap. I'll let my tuner know what stieger posted and see what he says.

"The RX oil breather has a check valve to only allow air out of the crankcase, not in. This helps with positive crankcase ventilation and decreases oil blow by. "

Thanks !
Old 01-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
The Stig

Quote:
My mistake, complete missed where he listed a specific brand.

If the check valve is reliable, then yeah, shouldn't affect the tune at all.
No worries. Didn't mean to jump down your throat about it btw, it's just been a rough day.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Even if it diid suck air in, how would that affect the tune? It's not like it's going into the combustion chamber. Unmetered air is only bad for the tune if it's using up fuel.

To the OP:
Be sure to check with guys that have it to see if they are getting excessive oily residue all over their engine. I had one for a short while on my old turbo Talon and it would blow oily residue all over everything.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
The Stig

It will throw off the A/F ratio thus causing you to pull timing.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
yotaman96

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quoted from SC2150 himself.

"These breathers have a integrated one way checkvalve that helps prevent any mist escaping from the breather into your engine compartment as well as controls the correct amount of flow into the crankcase unlike a "open" breather."
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 4x4
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:

You really do need to follow your own advice!
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
You really do need to follow your own advice!
Haha fair enough. That's my bad for getting it backwards. But either or, the RX oil breather does have a check valve
Old 01-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
jlauber588

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Even if it diid suck air in, how would that affect the tune? It's not like it's going into the combustion chamber. Unmetered air is only bad for the tune if it's using up fuel.

To the OP:
Be sure to check with guys that have it to see if they are getting excessive oily residue all over their engine. I had one for a short while on my old turbo Talon and it would blow oily residue all over everything.
Had mine for 600 miles now and no oil anywhere. Now even on the breather filter.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
jlauber588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Since you are going to have it tuned, any potential changes to fueling can be adusted. fwiw. I put a breather on my Impala and it threw the fuel trims way off. Someone was supposed to send me the RX breather to test on my Camaro (it's not custom tuned) so I could see if it affected fuel trims, but I've not seen it yet.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
jpizzle007

Drives: '10 LS3, '11 328i, '78 El Camino
if you use one and have a cold air intake, you need to cap off a line and that avoids some issues. Unless that has changed
Custom stainless steel catch-can, Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI, T-304 MBRP 3" CB, Solo HiFlow Cats, TSW Interlagos Matte Black, Nitto Invos 275/315, SkipShift Eliminator, MGW ShortThrow Shifter, Flux Capacitor - fully tweeked
jpizzle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #16
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle007 View Post
if you use one and have a cold air intake, you need to cap off a line and that avoids some issues. Unless that has changed
No you are correct. You need to cap off the vacuum line going to the fuel rail. Otherwise you'll pull timing.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
MikeOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaman96 View Post
Quoted from SC2150 himself.

"These breathers have a integrated one way checkvalve that helps prevent any mist escaping from the breather into your engine compartment as well as controls the correct amount of flow into the crankcase unlike a "open" breather."
Alright...well now I go back to my original statement.

A PCV system is intended to allow engine vacuum to pull air through the crank case, and that air comes from the air intake, between the MAF sensor and the throttle plate...this means the air is metered (and filtered).

By allowing it to pull that air from the oil fill cap location instead, it WILL cause a situation where the MAF sensor is not seeing all the air the engine is breathing...the O2 sensors will correct for it, but it can cause problems, and it can cause an incorrect air mass calculation, which can result in incorrect spark advance.

Controlled leak or uncontrolled leak...it's still unmetered air...I don't care what anyone says, that IS a tuning issue. Different altitudes will cause it to let in different amounts of air..so will difference humidity levels and everything else. It's not a MAJOR tuning issue...but I wouldn't allow it on my own car. I'm sure some vendors will disagree with me, but I've been messing with PCM tuning for over a decade now, the E38 running these cars is a big advancement over older GM PCM technology...but it's still relying on the same principles...it's a MAF car, so you really want ALL the air entering the engine, be it the air that's flowing through the crankcase or not, to pass the MAF element too...if it was a speed density car, it wouldn't really matter at all. You can run them in speed density, but more than 99% of these cars will always have a MAF sensor on them.

If you really want to run a catch can, you should still make the fresh air source come from the air intake, between the MAF and the throttle plate.

Mods please understand, I'm not trying to call a supporting vendors product a bad thing, I'm just trying to make sure people know as much as they can before they decide to run it or not. I hope I haven't upset anyone. I know this forum isn't really the same as a few others I'm on (including one I moderate...specifically the PCM tuning section of it)...if you don't want me to speak my mind I won't.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
where is a good place to buy the rx catch can and breather?
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
The Stig

Quote:
Alright...well now I go back to my original statement.

A PCV system is intended to allow engine vacuum to pull air through the crank case, and that air comes from the air intake, between the MAF sensor and the throttle plate...this means the air is metered (and filtered).

By allowing it to pull that air from the oil fill cap location instead, it WILL cause a situation where the MAF sensor is not seeing all the air the engine is breathing...the O2 sensors will correct for it, but it can cause problems, and it can cause an incorrect air mass calculation, which can result in incorrect spark advance.

Controlled leak or uncontrolled leak...it's still unmetered air...I don't care what anyone says, that IS a tuning issue. Different altitudes will cause it to let in different amounts of air..so will difference humidity levels and everything else. It's not a MAJOR tuning issue...but I wouldn't allow it on my own car. I'm sure some vendors will disagree with me, but I've been messing with PCM tuning for over a decade now, the E38 running these cars is a big advancement over older GM PCM technology...but it's still relying on the same principles...it's a MAF car, so you really want ALL the air entering the engine, be it the air that's flowing through the crankcase or not, to pass the MAF element too...if it was a speed density car, it wouldn't really matter at all. You can run them in speed density, but more than 99% of these cars will always have a MAF sensor on them.

If you really want to run a catch can, you should still make the fresh air source come from the air intake, between the MAF and the throttle plate.

Mods please understand, I'm not trying to call a supporting vendors product a bad thing, I'm just trying to make sure people know as much as they can before they decide to run it or not. I hope I haven't upset anyone. I know this forum isn't really the same as a few others I'm on (including one I moderate...specifically the PCM tuning section of it)...if you don't want me to speak my mind I won't.
Of course you can speak your mind, the point of a forum is to get input from everyone. I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything on this subject. My knowledge is limited to what I've learned from Tracy (SC2150) - so I could be completely off base with what I said.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
where is a good place to buy the rx catch can and breather?
send a PM to SC2150
Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #21
ducq

Okay I'm confused all over again :(
Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #22
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
It will throw off the A/F ratio thus causing you to pull timing.
How will this throw off the A/F ratio? I'm well aware that you want to decrease crankcase pressure for various reasons but how will air in the crankcase affect the amount of air in the cylinder?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #23
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #24
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
How will this throw off the A/F ratio? I'm well aware that you want to decrease crankcase pressure for various reasons but how will air in the crankcase affect the amount of air in the cylinder?
If you leave the vacuum line on the air intake? Because that's what I was referring to. I don't know how to explain it because I'm just repeating what I've read/been told.

Where are you SC2150. They're asking questions I don't know the answer to.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #25
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68744

the intake has a vacuum, there for it will pull air from the open hose connecting to crankcase air chamber, correct?
on stock setup the little hose coming from the passenger side valve cover to the side of the intake is where the setup pulls air into the crankcase chamber. that air is monitored from the maf.
the air going into the breather hose is the exact same as the amount going into intake, physics. it doesnt matter where the movement is monitored, same movement throughout system. so if the new air is pulled from a breather, it pulls new air into the crankcase chamber, and the vacuum pulls it into the intake. this functions as a VACUUM LEAK. therefor at low rpms you will run lean. on high rpms the vacuum is significantly lower. when you release the throttle from WOT the vacuum is outrageous and will pull a significant amount of air, causing a massively lean down rev. back fires and knocks and very bad things.
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote