Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Garage / Tools Discussions Discussions about garage setups and general tools discussions.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
nebchevy

Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
getting up in the air

I was wondering if anyone had a idea on the best way to get my camaro up to put on new exhaust and do lowering springs??
nebchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
bowtie98607

Drives: 12 SS2RS, 73 RS/TypeLT, 68 Vette
Um? Buy a lift.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
jack stands did my exhaust and headers on them. use a couple jacks and then put a 2 by 6 under all 4 jackstands .... works great.
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
nebchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie98607 View Post
Um? Buy a lift.
Wish I had a garage that would support a lift trust me..

So did you jack up the front a bit and put jack stands in and do the back some and back and forth? The reason I ask is, if you use 2 jacks couldnt you run the risk of tippin car over
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebchevy View Post
Wish I had a garage that would support a lift trust me..

So did you jack up the front a bit and put jack stands in and do the back some and back and forth? The reason I ask is, if you use 2 jacks couldnt you run the risk of tippin car over
I'm guessing you have never worked on a car before.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
nebchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I'm guessing you have never worked on a car before.
WOW.... just assume things huh thats cool... I have worked on plenty of cars just not trying to get the whole f'in thing in the air on a low sitting car.. Thanks for all your help
Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
WOW.... just assume things huh thats cool... I have worked on plenty of cars just not trying to get the whole f'in thing in the air on a low sitting car.. Thanks for all your help
Didn't mean it as an insult, geez. I was googling Youtube videos to post a good one on how to get a car on jackstands for you.
FYI you have to get the whole car in the air to install lowering springs, unless you only have two jack stands then you have to do either the fronts or rears first then the others.
If you think the car sits low now, wait till you lower it. LOL
Old 01-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
nebchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Didn't mean it as an insult, geez. I was googling Youtube videos to post a good one on how to get a car on jackstands for you.
FYI you have to get the whole car in the air to install lowering springs, unless you only have two jack stands then you have to do either the fronts or rears first then the others.
If you think the car sits low now, wait till you lower it. LOL

Yo, it aint you... people being kinda dics. I am goin to go buy 4 new jack stands and yes I know its gonna sit way lower once I drop it and thats why I am just wondering what all I need to be ready for lol... I dont want to drop it back down and not be able to get the jack out from under it... my luck that would happen
Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Yo, it aint you... people being kinda dics. I am goin to go buy 4 new jack stands and yes I know its gonna sit way lower once I drop it and thats why I am just wondering what all I need to be ready for lol... I dont want to drop it back down and not be able to get the jack out from under it... my luck that would happen
Go to Dome Depot and get some 2x6 cut into 1 foot sections (if you don't have some spare wood laying around). When you remove the jackstands and drop the car put the wood under the tires and just roll off of them when done.

My car is about 2.5" lower than stock and that's what I do.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Tigg
Irreverent Schmoe

Drives: Black 2010 2SS
Nebchevy I don't want to tell you what to do but if it were me I would do the rear first using jackstands and the floorjack as a safety stop that way you can do the springs and exhaust at once then move on to the front...Here is a thread with good places to put the floorjack... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ro+jack+points
Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
nebchevy

Tigg! That makes perfect sense, can you get to the exhaust good with just the a$$ end up?

SUX2BU, I never thought about the wood idea! See this is why I ask these questions cause you get good input!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Search is your friend nebchevy. This forum has a thread on just about any question you can come up with. A lot of us have been around here and working on our cars so long we forget what it was like in the beginning, don't take it personally. We also tend to give each other a rash of *hit about everything, kind of a buddy thing.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
Tigg
Irreverent Schmoe

Drives: Black 2010 2SS
Quote:
Tigg! That makes perfect sense, can you get to the exhaust good with just the a$$ end up?

SUX2BU, I never thought about the wood idea! See this is why I ask these questions cause you get good input!
I guess it depends on how much exhaust you are putting on ..you should be able to do a cat back exchange just fine but a complete swap may require the whole car up.. I just don't like putting the whole car up because of the fear of it falling.. It would seem to me to be much more stable with two tires on the ground if possible instead of 4 jack stands.. If you do have to raise it all the way up I would keep the floor jack up against the frame and work from the side it is on. That way if there is a mishap you are on the side with the extra support..

I like the blocks of wood idea too for after youe suspension is done..
Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
n116ebo
n116

Drives: 2010 2SS YELLOW TRANSFORMER AUTO
Laying under a car is no fun any more. I had a muffler shop install my Borla's.
n116ebo is offline   Reply With Quote