Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
High Flow Cats? Y/N?

Alright, once I thought I new exactly what I was going to do I realized I had no clue. I want that deep throaty exhaust sound which has made me look at either Borla Atak or the Solo Performance Mach XL with J Pipes. So my question is when I decide to install one of these two systems is it worth my time and money to replace the stock cats with some high flow cats? Whats the advantages or disadvantages? From what I have gathered is that High Flows just make your system sound a little louder and doesn't restrict the air flow as much as the stocks? Is their any real reason why I should replace these while puting in a cat back system?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, RX CC, GFX, Subs.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
Either get hi flow cats or offroad. Stock cats suck.

But the difference between hi flow and offroad is minimal. Ted tested it out and found nearly no difference. It's purely to meet regulation standards. If your state doesn't care or you live out of country go ahead and get some offroads.

If you plan on forced induction, get offroads also.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
2012REDSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
What he said. I live in NC so I have to have cats. I put on the Solo hi flows and it's a huge difference.
2012REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2011 Equinox
+1

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Not with forced induction!
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Nitto 555R@25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
MIKnam67
MIC

Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012REDSS View Post
What he said. I live in NC so I have to have cats. I put on the Solo hi flows and it's a huge difference.
Gut them

I live in NC also
MIKnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Leave the stock exhaust and install Solo Hi Flow cats. The sound will change dramatically and may be exactly what you are looking for PLUS you'll pick up some power. Then if you have to have it louder you can install an aftermarket exhaust which will show no or minimal gains in power behind a stock engine.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers & rotors, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, full rear cradle & diff bushings, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, ZL1 Brembo Brake pads, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp Cam valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR 5 timing chain, LS2 damper, CAI Cold Air Induction, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 wheels w/Vredestein 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, '11 Convertible spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by camslambam View Post
But the difference between hi flow and offroad is minimal. Ted tested it out and found nearly no difference. It's purely to meet regulation standards. If your state doesn't care or you live out of country go ahead and get some offroads.
This is correct but might be slightly confusing. The difference between HF cats and offroad is minimal but the difference between OEM cats and HF cats (or offroad) is significant. Some have shown 15-20 rwhp gains over just chaning the OEM cats to HF cats.

Changing to HF cats will also change the sound of your car as well. So, a Borla ATAK might sound good to you with OEM cats but then with HF cats it might be too loud.

If you're planning on doing LT headers eventually, I would tell you to just save your money. I wouldn't even do a cat-back until then either....again, because the sound will change with LTs. If you're looking for some temporary sound look into doing a muffler delete. That is cheap but will sound much better than the factory mufflers. Save your money and do LTs/Cat-back/Tune all at the same time.

There are alot more inexpensive LT options out there now. Stainless Works has some, OBX, XS Power, TX Speed. IMO you'll be better off happier with something like that than just HF cats.

I think XS Power had their complete system (LTs and Cat-back) for like $650 during the Holidays. Normally I think you can get it for about $750. You'll spend probably half of that on just the HF cats.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
Leave the stock exhaust and install Solo Hi Flow cats. The sound will change dramatically and may be exactly what you are looking for PLUS you'll pick up some power. Then if you have to have it louder you can install an aftermarket exhaust which will show no or minimal gains in power behind a stock engine.
Ed M.
I also recommend this approach until you get your headers if that's the goal. Don't waste $1000 on exhaust when $400 on high-flows will give you a larger performance boost and change the exhaust volume significantly. Once you get headers, you'll have to have the cats cut and possibly welded, but compared to the header install and tune price, that should be a minimal cost.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
Ed M.
I made the assumption and perhaps incorrectly the OP was keeping his stock exhaust manifolds. With stock manifolds or shorty headers the high flow cats are the way to go. If the long term goal is long tube headers, save you $$ and do LT's and the appropriate HF cats or cat delete at the same time and I would still use the stock cat back exhaust UNLESS heavy duty, major internal engine modifications are planned for the future. See my sig, mild engine mods, LT's, HF cats, stock cat back pipes ( with OEM resonators intact ) and a GMPP touring axle back. The GMPP axle back does nothing but improve the sound quality ( made it deeper ), shed weight and looks better. I don't believe the GMPP or Borla equivalent and probably others flow any better than the OEM "potato sack" mufflers, they just weigh less, look better and change the "tone". My set up has a great sound ( deeper and louder than stock BUT not overly so ), doesn't drone and does not tire me on a 400+ mile trip. Even my wife ( who drives a dead quiet Caddy ) thinks it sounds good and isn't too loud in the cabin. Full throttle application is a different story though .
It all boils down to what you want from the car and what you are willing to put up with and or spend to get there.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers & rotors, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, full rear cradle & diff bushings, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, ZL1 Brembo Brake pads, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp Cam valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR 5 timing chain, LS2 damper, CAI Cold Air Induction, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 wheels w/Vredestein 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, '11 Convertible spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
Since I am a little more privy to your goals, I would wait and get the HF cats later with your headers. If you do it now, yes you would experience power gain, but would be limited mainly to the Solo brand and one other-else a CEL. If you wait till the headers, then you will have more manufacturer options and maybe any easier piping setup. The power gained from the HF cats have been shown to be more than those from the cat back exhaust changeout. If you ever go S chrgr, then there are some lower quality cats you should avoid.
I'd agree, if you ever plan on going with long tube headers, wait till then to get cats, for the price its not worth doing it twice.

Feel free to call, email, or PM us anytime!
- Jeremy
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: 11 2SS/RS, Black/Inferno, L99 A6
My JBA High-Flow Cats showed significant horsepower gains at the track.

I plan on using them and the JBA Shorties with my ProCharger D1 build that begins today. I expect my JBA high-flows to hold up fine with a supercharger, though other brands have failed.

But for your goals, you'll love high-flow cats.

Padre

The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Solo cats have been one of the best mods yet.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
My JBA mids made my exhaust sound amazing and you can make over 400rwhp pretty easy with them.
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Black1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS 6 Speed
Very interesting. I am debating HF cats right now as well. I can't decide whether or not to get them with my LT
Black1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
2012REDSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Just with a CAI, Solo hi flows and muffler delete I put down 394 rwhp and 399 ft lbs. I was hoping for more but 22" rims killed me.
2012REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
scottw

Drives: 2011 SGM Camaro 2SS/RS

Here are my mods. Solo Hi flow cats and a borla atak cat back.