Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Black1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS 6 Speed
Pros and cons

Hey guys,
I wanted to get the pros and cons on running LT headers with and without high flow cats. I live in SC were we dont have to get inspected so we dont have to pass emissions.
I wanted to get the opinions of the masses on what the differances would be with or without the high flows. I have a 10 LS3 Camaro 6 speed manual. I also want the gains in power and torque but I dont want the car to be over powering when it comes to the exhaust sound. I want a little louder than stock when idling and WOT.
Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Start laying out the differances guys.
Thanks
Black1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Cpanthers85

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
From what I've been told, the high flow cats are so advanced today that the only difference between running cats and not running cats is the exhaust smell.

I opted for no smell and healthier lungs.

Mods: Kooks Long Tube Headers, RotoFaB EForce CAI, American Thunder Catback Exhaust, PFADT Stage 1 Drag Kit + Front Sway Bar, GM Strut Tower Bar. ZL1 Fuel Pump. Nitto NT05R. RX Catch Can.LS9 Cam and Springs.LS3 Conversion.JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade.Edelbrock Eforce.60# Eforce Injectors.Extreme Racing Tune. 523/495

MY BUILD THREAD
Cpanthers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Black1SS

I guess the next question is for the extra money for the high flows then, is it really worth it to just have the smell reduced a little. Either way, there is going to be a smell. Just less with the high flows
Old 01-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Big Daddy Kane

Drives: Red 1SS
I just went from high flows to no cats. You do get more smell, but basically it's like smelling the exhaust from a 60's muscle car. It was a tad louder. Not much at all. As for power difference. I drove the car a mile down the road and back, so I haven't really driven it since the switch over.

Kooks LT Headers/catback exhaust, E-force supercharger, JRE fuel line upgrade, JRE differential, 3.91 LPE gears, Roto-fab intake, JRE tune, DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft, MGW shifter, Hotchkis chassis braces
Big Daddy Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
we don't have inspections here either.all my friends are deleting the cats on their cars,as will i,when i get my LTs.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Sounds better without cats in my opion. I don't run them, but if you want to keep it kinda quite then just run a quite muffler. My car is pretty friken loud!
Bring on the Bolton 5.0s please!
Bad70supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
If you have thoughts of adding a SC, you should save your $$ on the HFC's. Many of the SC guys are destroying their HFC's with the added exhaust volume and heat. Haven't heard of any NA guys having any problems though. Just something else to consider.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Yeah just run without them. If you not have emissions dont worry about it.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
If you have thoughts of adding a SC, you should save your $$ on the HFC's. Many of the SC guys are destroying their HFC's with the added exhaust volume and heat. Haven't heard of any NA guys having any problems though. Just something else to consider.

What did you just say? HFCs, NA, SC
Old 01-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
Black1SS

It doesn't make very much differance in the sound with or without them, correct. I guess since I don't have emissions here and the smell will not be that much worse, I will go without the cats to save some money for other mods. Any other advice is welcomed. Thanks for helping everyone
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpanthers85 View Post
From what I've been told, the high flow cats are so advanced today that the only difference between running cats and not running cats is the exhaust smell.

I opted for no smell and healthier lungs.
I'm thinking your lungs will be ok.

It's really not that big a difference.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
sschevybear11

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
I deleted cats with the LT's and with no tune yet I have noticed no fuel smell.
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
Black1SS

So I guess the view on the forum is that if your state does not require a smog test for inspection then run LT's with no cats at all.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
PQ

No. The view of some in this thread to this point.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #15
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
My state doesn't require emissions and I run cats.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Honestly if you think your car doesn't smell like a$$ after deleteing your cats, have someone else drive it and you follow it for a few miles, it stinks... a lot. Of course you can't smell it that much if you're driving the car. If you have the money just put cats on your car as a favor to every one you share the road with. There really is little or no power difference.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Go with the cats -On my previous car, C5 Z06 I got a deal on long tubes with no cats and had them installed as such. The sound was way too raspy for my taste (a tinny, weird sound at WOT) and I honestly felt a decrease in torque down low. I bought high flows and boom - no more smell, no rasp and boosted my low end torque again. In CA I have no choice, but if I did the smell alone with be enough reason. Good luck!

Somewhatdamaged

Last edited by somewhatdamaged; 01-13-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling grammar
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #18
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquirrel View Post
Honestly if you think your car doesn't smell like a$$ after deleteing your cats, have someone else drive it and you follow it for a few miles, it stinks... a lot. Of course you can't smell it that much if you're driving the car. If you have the money just put cats on your car as a favor to every one you share the road with. There really is little or no power difference.
You're wrong about that. I've stood behind my car. And while there is a difference it's not like you apparently think. Tuned right it's not like you describe at all.

I know what you are talking about having followed really really richly tuned cars or trucks with that smell. But even cats can do that if the car isn't tuned right. You don't know wether or not they had cats. Unless you knew the car. And most don't leave them off for performance, it saves money AND it sound better on most systems.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I kept my HF cats with LT's. Car is still loud as hell and makes great power. If you are going to add a super charger, you should check them once in a while. They seem to like to come apart.

PQ,

The new pic in your sig is killing me!