Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > California Meets and Events

Old 01-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
boltvette

Drives: 1963 Corvette, 2001 Corvette
Angelwings Tech Extreme Speed Pony Car Track Day Series

Angelwings Tech is the title sponsor for an 8-event track day series for Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers. The series will take place on four tracks in SoCal and Spring Mountain Motor Resort in Nevada. All participants will get a discount on the registration fees for the events and there will be other perks.

There will be both stock and modified divisions, each with a series championship based upon each participant's five best finishes.

Join in on the fun and defend the Bowtie badge! For more info, check out the Blog at www.angelwingstech.com.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Wow, this sounds like a blast!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
boltvette

Mindz, impressive mods! It looks like your Camaro is ready for the track. You will definitely go into the modified division, but with a little seat time, I'm sure you will be competitive. If you have never done a track day, I guarantee that you'll have fun. If you have, you know just how addictive it can be!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Falundir

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition SS
I'm picking up malicious javascript on your website. Please repost all detailed information here in this thread until you resolve the issue.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
I'm picking up malicious javascript on your website. Please repost all detailed information here in this thread until you resolve the issue.
ha got the same message....so i checked it on my work computer

nice to see everything is on the weekends! I'll try and make it out to at least the ones in CA.

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
boltvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. Our site was hacked once already. I'll have to get my IT guy on it ASAP. DAMN HACKERS!!!

I've attached the tentative schedule, division definitions and perks.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ponysched.pdf (22.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: pdf ponydivisions.pdf (25.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf ponyperks.pdf (22.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltvette View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. Our site was hacked once already. I'll have to get my IT guy on it ASAP. DAMN HACKERS!!!

Is there a deadline to signup for each event? I'm thinking i can make the 2/25 one for sure.

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
boltvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
Is there a deadline to signup for each event? I'm thinking i can make the 2/25 one for sure.
The registration deadline will be set by each event organizer. It's usually a couple of weeks before the event. I'm waiting to hear back from Star Car Sports, the organizer for the first event at Chuckwalla next month. I'll post the info as soon as I get it.

In most (if not all) cases, you will register directly with the organizer, but I will provide you with a discount code, so that you'll get the discount and I'll know who is going to be running the the Series event.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Damn, I'd have to run modified class. I wouldn't stand a chance. Looks like it would be a blast though.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Falundir

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition SS
Quote:

Awesome, thank you!
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
boltvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Damn, I'd have to run modified class. I wouldn't stand a chance. Looks like it would be a blast though.
The division definitions are not yet final. The definitions as attached are my first shot at it, but I would like to get input from as many of you as possible as to what constitutes a "stock" Camaro. You will notice that I've listed only shock and sway bay replacements allowed under the stock division. Should I allow replacement springs (not coilovers) too? The goal is to have as level a playing field for everyone as possible. I would like to have some owners of factory stock Camaros participate, but I don't want to have to throw everyone who has put a few bucks into their car into "modified" either. I know I won't make everyone happy, but I'll do my best.

I hope everyone entering will have the attitude that they are there to have fun first. There are other "challenge" series out there, but they seem to be for guys who are very hardcore. Yes, they have fun and are good guys, but I'm looking to fill this series more with people who are a bit more relaxed, including first-timers.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
Gonzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM 6M
From the division definition for Stock:

"Modifications to increase handling and cornering ability are limited to tires, sway bars, shock absorbers, bushings and ride height and alignment adjustments.

All other modifications, such as replacement springs, coilovers, control arms, etc. are not allowed in the stock division."

So my question is how do you adjust ride height without replacing springs or using coilovers?

What about replacement bushings?

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS 6M IBM
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post

"Modifications to increase handling and cornering ability are limited to tires, sway bars, shock absorbers, bushings and ride height and alignment adjustments.

All other modifications, such as replacement springs, coilovers, control arms, etc. are not allowed in the stock division."

So my question is how do you adjust ride height without replacing springs or using coilovers?

Cut your stock coil to lower the ride height though I can't think of anyone that would do that as cheap as lowering springs are now days.

The Workhorse: 2006 Silverado CCSB, EFI Live, MBRP/Diamond Eye 4" turbo back, Edge Insight CTS
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Bump for Craig!

Folks this is going to be a great time and Craig (BOLTVETTE) has been tracking for a long time so I expect it will be a first rate "fun" series. I know it is hard to look past the stock vs modified class when some folks are coming to the table with forced injection, coilovers, etc but Craig will be the first to tell you and show you that experience can be a great equalizer on the track. He routinely outruns Z06's with his stock C5. Also, like he said, this is about having fun. None of us are professional drivers so that should not be a factor.

The Workhorse: 2006 Silverado CCSB, EFI Live, MBRP/Diamond Eye 4" turbo back, Edge Insight CTS
Old 01-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
boltvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post

IMO replacement bushings should be fine, and that's why I included them in the list of allowed mods. Lowering the ride height on Corvettes is a fairly simple operation, but I'm not familiar with Camaros. I haven't owned one since we sold my wife's '90 Z-28. If you can accomplish it without replacing the springs, I see no problem.

My question is whether replacement springs (not coilovers) should be allowed in the stock class. What do you think? Will it give someone too big an edge over a factory stock car? Has someone changed the sway bars and not the springs? Or are they typically done as a package? You guys know Camaros much better than I do. I defer to your expertise. We just need to get the definitions finalized.

Thanks for your input. And thanks for your "bump" Travis. One reason why I'm restricting ALL participants to street legal tires is to keep the series more on the "fun" side of the equation.

BTW - Our IT guy has assured me that the malware has been removed from our website and the "leak" repaired. So you should have no problem going there. I do recommend that you be sure that your antivirus software is up to date. Please let me know if you get any warnings. Thanks for your patience!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #16
boltvette

The first event of the Angelwings Tech Extreme Speed Pony Car Track Day Series is set for Sat. February 25th at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway in Desert Center, CA.

For $180, you will get a full day of track time plus a transponder (a $20 savings). If there are 9 participants, the registration drops to $165. With 10 or more, it's only $150. So tell your friends! We will need your registration fee no later than Feb. 10th to get the discount.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
The first event of the Angelwings Tech Extreme Speed Pony Car Track Day Series is set for Sat. February 25th at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway in Desert Center, CA.

For $180, you will get a full day of track time plus a transponder (a $20 savings). If there are 9 participants, the registration drops to $165. With 10 or more, it's only $150. So tell your friends! We will need your registration fee no later than Feb. 10th to get the discount.
Awesome! Hoping to make this if it fits with kids competition schedule.

Travis
Sent from Droid Charge

Old 01-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Bump for the Pny Car Series and Angel Wings Tech. Guaranteed good time. Who's going to come out for these? First one is end of FEB at Desert Center, CA. If anyone is interested in cruising out together, post up.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #19
boltvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
Bump for the Pny Car Series and Angel Wings Tech. Guaranteed good time. Who's going to come out for these? First one is end of FEB at Desert Center, CA. If anyone is interested in cruising out together, post up.
Thanks for the "bump" Travis. At least two of us are driving up on Fri. eve. and staying at the Royal Plaza Inn in Indio. $75 AAA rate ($84 incl. tax).

Did I mention that I may have a major announcement regarding a big-name Series sponsor?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
So no Autocross in this challange to mix it up a little....only road courses??.....

And I think there should be a Super Mod..Class for thouse with Coilovers and Blowers and Hair dryers...

At Camaro Fest there was ..."Stock".....Modified....And Super Modified..........The Modified class will have no chance against a Blower car with coilovers...My $02.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
boltvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
So no Autocross in this challange to mix it up a little....only road courses??.....

And I think there should be a Super Mod..Class for thouse with Coilovers and Blowers and Hair dryers...

At Camaro Fest there was ..."Stock".....Modified....And Super Modified..........The Modified class will have no chance against a Blower car with coilovers...My $02.
Sorry, Don no autocrosses. This is a big-boy (and big-girl) Track Day Series. But it's a good thought - maybe next year.

I'm not opposed to having a Super Modified division for supercharged cars. What do the rest of you think? I don't want to create a bunch of divisions and have just one or two competing in each. Travis is the only one I've heard make a commitment to participating in more than a couple of events. If creating the SM divison will result in more pony car owners signing up, I'm all for it.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #22
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Been on Big Willow and Street before but Im going to be out of commission for 3-4 months so I will miss most of it ...Next year I should have a real track set of Wheel and tires and give this a try......

P.S. What kind of times do you get around Big Willow?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #23
boltvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
Been on Big Willow and Street before but Im going to be out of commission for 3-4 months so I will miss most of it ...Next year I should have a real track set of Wheel and tires and give this a try......

P.S. What kind of times do you get around Big Willow?
We all hope that your surgery goes very, very well and you make a "speedy" recovery. Even though you will miss several of the events, you're always welcome to join us for one or two after you're new and improved! You might not be in the running for the championship, but you'll still get the discounts, etc.

I'll look forward to having you join us next year. And I will seriously consider your suggestion to throw an autocross or two into the Series for next year.

I've never run at Big Willow. I'm looking forward to getting on the track. Next month will be my first time at Chuckwalla as well. I was at Streets for the first time last month and had a best lap time of 1:31.7. Plenty of room for improvement.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #24
boltvette

If you are planning on joining us for the first event at Chuckwalla on 2/25, you need to be contacting me ASAP! It looks like the Mustangs will be outnumbering the Camaros. That's just wrong!

We're still waiting to hear from a big-name manufacturer about the possible sponsorship of the Series, but even without them there are great perks to be a part of the events.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #25
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Bump for the So Cal peeps. I believe we need three more to get the discounted rate. Should he no problem to get 3 more Camaros on the list. Hell we can even split rooms if necessary to save a few bucks. The track looks awesome! Check out chuckwallavalleyraceway.com for more info and some good videos of laps. Not to mention the perks and bragging rights. Also, no guard rails, no cops, nobody to accidently hurt by driving stupid on the streets.

Travis

Sent from Droid