Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Tower Decals
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
crabapple

 
crabapple's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Summit White ZL1 (1 OF 45)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SP TN
Posts: 787
Apex 1.25" Lowering springs

Just got the springs installed late today. Love the look......



crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
ZL1Naboz
ZL1Naboz
 
ZL1Naboz's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Stingray, '13 ZL1,'11 BMW 335IS
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 144
Love the look how's it drive?
ZL1Naboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
jayno20
 
jayno20's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Red Hot ZL1 #1503
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 222
I have been thinking about going with these same springs. How is the ride? Can you get closer pictures to the tires/fender front and rear? Any guess on how much gap is between the tire/fender?


Sorry for the 20 questions, but there isn't a ton of info on these that I could find...
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
crabapple

 
crabapple's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Summit White ZL1 (1 OF 45)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SP TN
Posts: 787
Ride is what I would call a little stiffer than stock. Nothing that can't be tolerated by any means....

In my opinion they are more than well worth the cost for the look and ride.

I will get some measurements in the morning and post. Really closed the tire/fender gap to where it should be....
crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
jayno20
 
jayno20's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Red Hot ZL1 #1503
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Ride is what I would call a little stiffer than stock. Nothing that can't be tolerated by any means....

In my opinion they are more than well worth the cost for the look and ride.

I will get some measurements in the morning and post. Really closed the tire/fender gap to where it should be....
That's what it looks like. I like the look!
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,190
Looks great! Glad you are enjoying them.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
Mikes12ZL1
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Victory Red
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 38
Did you install them yourself?
__________________
ZL1 # 158
605 RWHP
624 RWTQ
Mikes12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #8
jon6.0
Going for Plaid
 
jon6.0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 C6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 714
How do these springs handle when pushing the car to its limit? I drive hard on the twisty backroads of Arizona and don't want to compromise the handling. They look great though.
__________________
2014 ZL1, manual trans, carbon hood insert, Rotofab, 1" BMR springs, JBA mid-pipes.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
crabapple

 
crabapple's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Summit White ZL1 (1 OF 45)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SP TN
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes12ZL1 View Post
Did you install them yourself?

No Sir. I let my local tire dealer install them but I was there watching and talking with the tech the entire time. While everything was off, they let me clean everything.

The install was pretty straight forward,The only problem we had was getting the wires for the magnetic ride through the strut plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
How do these springs handle when pushing the car to its limit? I drive hard on the twisty backroads of Arizona and don't want to compromise the handling. They look great though.
I just took my car on its first road trip since having the springs installed and I'm extremely pleased in a couple of areas.

First, the ride quality is amazing for lowering springs. A little stiffer but no more than to be expected with taking some of the dampening out by using lowering springs.

Second, I also live where there are some twisty backroads and on my return trip took my car down one of these roads. With the ride control set on Level 4, the car performed flawlessly....nice and tight in the corners and a true pleasure to drive.

To sum it up....I would highly recommend these Pfadt springs for the look and performance. They take our already performance driven cars to a better level..this is only my opinion and I'm certainly not an expert but have owned a few of the "Late Model" performance cars and these springs are worth every penny.....
crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
jon6.0
Going for Plaid
 
jon6.0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 C6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
I just took my car on its first road trip since having the springs installed and I'm extremely pleased in a couple of areas.

First, the ride quality is amazing for lowering springs. A little stiffer but no more than to be expected with taking some of the dampening out by using lowering springs.

Second, I also live where there are some twisty backroads and on my return trip took my car down one of these roads. With the ride control set on Level 4, the car performed flawlessly....nice and tight in the corners and a true pleasure to drive.

To sum it up....I would highly recommend these Pfadt springs for the look and performance. They take our already performance driven cars to a better level..this is only my opinion and I'm certainly not an expert but have owned a few of the "Late Model" performance cars and these springs are worth every penny.....
Awesome! I just got rid of my C6 and I had Pfadt Johnny O'Connell shocks and sways on it. It's a bummer Pfadt went under. I loved their stuff. I was making over 750rwhp with their 1 3/4" Tri-Y headers on my supercharged LS3.
__________________
2014 ZL1, manual trans, carbon hood insert, Rotofab, 1" BMR springs, JBA mid-pipes.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
Shakeandbake
 
Shakeandbake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Black ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los angeles, CA
Posts: 87
Have you bottomed out at all? does it put more strain on the magride shocks?

Theoretically I would want to do this but I have a driveway of doom to think about
Shakeandbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeandbake View Post
Have you bottomed out at all? does it put more strain on the magride shocks?

Theoretically I would want to do this but I have a driveway of doom to think about
I have a friend here locally that installed these springs about 2 years ago on his ZL1. He and his wife use the car as a grand tourer and take the car all over the eastern US plus he does HPDE several times a year. Recently they have taken a 2000 mile round trip to Florida, a 1000 mile round trip to The Dragon, he just did a track day at Putnam Park and has another scheduled this October at the new NCM track in Bowling Green. He has not had any issues with the springs or MagRide whatsoever.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #13
jon6.0
Going for Plaid
 
jon6.0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 C6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 714
Even better news! I'm taking the month of September off from work and doing a road trip from Phoenix to Pittsburgh. Going to stick to old US highways and hit twisty roads on my way. The Dragon is one of my stops.

How many hours does the install take?
__________________
2014 ZL1, manual trans, carbon hood insert, Rotofab, 1" BMR springs, JBA mid-pipes.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
Even better news! I'm taking the month of September off from work and doing a road trip from Phoenix to Pittsburgh. Going to stick to old US highways and hit twisty roads on my way. The Dragon is one of my stops.

How many hours does the install take?
That will be a lot of fun! On a ZL1 it is about a 3 hour job.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #15
crabapple

 
crabapple's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Summit White ZL1 (1 OF 45)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SP TN
Posts: 787
I purposely took my car after install through several parking lots with speed bumps and then up in the mountains where I live on some steep driveways and inclines, no bottoming out and the MagRide has performed flawlessly to this point.

As for install time, like I previously said, we had a little trouble getting the wires out of the wire clip and if not for that I would say 4-6 hours DIY (with beer breaks...lol) or maybe 2-3 hours at a shop.
crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
crabapple

 
crabapple's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Summit White ZL1 (1 OF 45)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SP TN
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
Even better news! I'm taking the month of September off from work and doing a road trip from Phoenix to Pittsburgh. Going to stick to old US highways and hit twisty roads on my way. The Dragon is one of my stops.

How many hours does the install take?

Give Chase a call at Apex and he will get you setup. Outstanding customer service and extremely fast shipping....
crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #17
2011Black2SS
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 149
As Chase said, I have had these on my car since about the 2000 or 3000 mile marker and it just rolled over 12000 today. I haven't had a single issue from HPDE driving events, to back roads here in Kentucky, to the Tail of the Dragon, to back roads all the way to Tampa and interstates back home. Ground clearance hasn't been much of an issue, but I try not to take the car off roading all that much. Speed bumps I usually hit at an angle just from habit, but most of them don't even come close to scraping.

I usually drive around on mode 5 just because I like it better than the rest, but if it isn't on mode 5 it is on sport mode.
__________________
2013 Black/Black ZL1 M6 #3937
1996 Red Z28 383 M6 - 10.741 @ 130.51 MPH

2011 Black/Black 2SS/RS LS3 M6 - Sold 3/2/2013
2002 White Silverado Z71 - Sold
2011Black2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #18
mgue67
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 46
I’m considering changing out my springs as well. Actually talked to my local dealer this morning about installing them for me and if there would be in warranty issues. They indicated they would install them and it would not void any warranty.
Question – what size tires are you running? Does anyone have 315’s on lowered car, any issues with clearance?
mgue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #19
2011Black2SS
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgue67 View Post
I’m considering changing out my springs as well. Actually talked to my local dealer this morning about installing them for me and if there would be in warranty issues. They indicated they would install them and it would not void any warranty.
Question – what size tires are you running? Does anyone have 315’s on lowered car, any issues with clearance?
I still have the stock tires that are going to be replaced in the next month or so and going with 315 MP Super Sports on the back. I don't see any reason why it would cause an issue.
__________________
2013 Black/Black ZL1 M6 #3937
1996 Red Z28 383 M6 - 10.741 @ 130.51 MPH

2011 Black/Black 2SS/RS LS3 M6 - Sold 3/2/2013
2002 White Silverado Z71 - Sold
2011Black2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #20
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Black2SS View Post
As Chase said, I have had these on my car since about the 2000 or 3000 mile marker and it just rolled over 12000 today. I haven't had a single issue from HPDE driving events, to back roads here in Kentucky, to the Tail of the Dragon, to back roads all the way to Tampa and interstates back home. Ground clearance hasn't been much of an issue, but I try not to take the car off roading all that much. Speed bumps I usually hit at an angle just from habit, but most of them don't even come close to scraping.

I usually drive around on mode 5 just because I like it better than the rest, but if it isn't on mode 5 it is on sport mode.
There he is.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
jon6.0
Going for Plaid
 
jon6.0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 C6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 714
What are the spring rates on them?
__________________
2014 ZL1, manual trans, carbon hood insert, Rotofab, 1" BMR springs, JBA mid-pipes.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #22
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
What are the spring rates on them?
Front springs are 210 and the rears are 395.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #23
jon6.0
Going for Plaid
 
jon6.0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 C6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Front springs are 210 and the rears are 395.
Thanks for the quick response!

Hmm. The BMR's are 220/460. I'm thinking I will like how the Apex springs ride a little better. I do live down a dirt road though and only a 1" drop appeals to me. Decisions, decisions.
__________________
2014 ZL1, manual trans, carbon hood insert, Rotofab, 1" BMR springs, JBA mid-pipes.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #24
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
Thanks for the quick response!

Hmm. The BMR's are 220/460. I'm thinking I will like how the Apex springs ride a little better. I do live down a dirt road though and only a 1" drop appeals to me. Decisions, decisions.
No problem. Let me know if you have any other questions.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.