Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

LSR Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
nebchevy

Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
Help Please!!

Ok so heres the deal... I need to have thoughts on what I should do. They reason I ask is cause more ideas the better it gets!

1) 2.5in Magnaflow or 3.0in Magnaflow..

2) Should I install headers, and can you do it without a tune??

3) Is it ok to just use clamps on exhaust or should I get it welded on?

4) If I use clamps, do I just cut the old pipes with a hack saw?

Last edited by nebchevy; 01-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.
nebchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
well, to start off...

1) 3" if you want more power later on.
2) Long Tube Headers require a tune but shorties do not (a tune will always maximize your gains from any bolt ons)
3) Welded is best but large band clamps work just as well. Most after market exhaust uses band clamps (ideal for adjustments)
4) yes a hack saw will work fine.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
nebchevy

So whats the diff between long and short headers and can you run longs without a tune till my warrenty is up?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
nebchevy

any help
Old 01-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Ject
aka Patrick

Long tube headers will yield more HP & torque and also be a little louder.
You'll throw CEL code on the dash thus requiring a Tune.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
2 1/2" exhaust is fine for 90% of people. And long tube headers for power shorty's just for sound. Yes u can do it without a tune but won't get as good of gains and u will get a cel. U can us exhaust clamps and the factory exhaust is held on by clamps so u shouldnt need to saw anything. Hope this helps
Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
nebchevy

So will the CEL cause like poor performance or just a code? Why do the long hearders need tuned but not short? Also what would a short headers with high flow cats and muffler dels sound like?? Would it be way to crazy loud?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
dshep214

I have long tube headers no cats into my full exhaust and I he compliments daily. And with my j pipes the sound inside the car is almost non exhistant. I wouldn't waste money on shorties the stock manifolds breath fine. Long tune headers or nothing. And high flow cars on a magnaflow exhaust will sound good.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
nebchevy

Ok so since I am worried about my warrenty... you think I should just do a 2.5in magnaflow exhaust with hight flow cats? Also how much diff does high flow cats make and do they just hook right up so they wont need to be tuned? Also I will be adding a super charger when warrenty is up if that makes a diff
Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
Ject
aka Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebchevy View Post
So will the CEL cause like poor performance or just a code? Why do the long hearders need tuned but not short? Also what would a short headers with high flow cats and muffler dels sound like?? Would it be way to crazy loud?
Long Tube Headers need tuned because you have effectively moved the O2 Sensor further back and LT Headers can also cause a car to go Lean.

About the CEL....In technical terms, the tune would put a delay on the O2 feedback so that you don't get a code complaining about slow to respond.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Ok so since I am worried about my warrenty... you think I should just do a 2.5in magnaflow exhaust with hight flow cats? Also how much diff does high flow cats make and do they just hook right up so they wont need to be tuned? Also I will be adding a super charger when warrenty is up if that makes a diff
Yes....if you're worried about your warranty, stick with HF cats and a cat-back. 2.5" will be fine but 3" will give you a little deeper tone. You wan't really see a performance difference between the two.

The HF cats will hook right up to your stock headers and a cat-back. Should be no issues there. Look at either SOLO or JBA HF cats.

Once you go to a super charger you'll want to go to LT headers.

BTW: Look around at prices on the Magnaflow cat-back. Then call JDP Motorsports (call don't go by the website prices) and you'll see they'll have some of the best prices. They are a vendor on here and have great customer service.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
Ject
aka Patrick

On a side note....when / If you go Super Charger you'll want to remove the Cats and go with a mid pipe (straight pipe). F.I will typically eat Cats for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #13
nebchevy

So would I be better off to just del my CATS now? Also if I were to del them now and just go straight pipes... is there anything that will void warrenty or need to be tuned or any error codes since you wont have any cats?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #14
dshep214

My suggestion for u since u seem very worried about voiding your warranty is to just get a cat back exhaust. Plus u said u are going to supercharge it after your warranty? So u plan on supercharging a car after 5 years and 100k miles? Boost is not good on a motor with those kind of miles. These motors don't hold boost that well anyways
Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra Denali
Get ready for a good workout with that hack saw. I'd rent a portaband if I was cutting exhaust.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #16
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
So would I be better off to just del my CATS now? Also if I were to del them now and just go straight pipes... is there anything that will void warrenty or need to be tuned or any error codes since you wont have any cats?
If you delete your cats you'll get a CEL. If you can live with the light on then that's up to you.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
nebchevy

So... i shouldnt put a supercharger on my camaro cause the engine wont handel it?? Also i will not have many miles on my car as its only my toy and i dont drive much. Soooo...
Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #18
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
My suggestion:

1.short tube headers (good for atleast 10hp)

2. Cat back exhaust and high flo cats!

3.throttle body from vmax

4.Cold air intake!!

None of these should throw codes or require a tune...they will make it sound better and give you much better throttle response. In a few years you can throw some lond tube headers and cut the cats off do strait pipes, tune ect...

I didnt have my exhaust welded on. I may down the road but it's fine with the clamps.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
MileMAN402
RIP JoePa

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2001 Audi S4
Quote:
So... i shouldnt put a supercharger on my camaro cause the engine wont handel it?? Also i will not have many miles on my car as its only my toy and i dont drive much. Soooo...
It will handle a supercharger perfectly fine unless you want 750+rwhp and plan on beating the hell out of it. Camaro21 (member here) drove his supercharged for over 70k miles with plenty of track time
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Quote:
Ok so heres the deal... I need to have thoughts on what I should do. They reason I ask is cause more ideas the better it gets!

1) 2.5in Magnaflow or 3.0in Magnaflow..

2) Should I install headers, and can you do it without a tune??

3) Is it ok to just use clamps on exhaust or should I get it welded on?

4) If I use clamps, do I just cut the old pipes with a hack saw?
A) Personally, I like the 16483 Magnaflow 3" Competition Series exhaust. It sounds excellent, and is not overly loud. The Magnaflow 2.5" also sounds great, and really you'd be fine with either. If going supercharged like you mentioned, I'd go with the 3".

B) If you plan on going supercharged, you will want long tube headers then, so anything you do other than that now will be a waste of money. I'd go with long tubes now and be done with it for that day.
If you don't have to worry about emissions, you don't have to get a tune. The check engine light will eventually come on with long tubes because it moves the catalytic converters farther back, resulting in them taking longer to get to operating temperature, resulting in the computer thinking they are failing. Some people go minutes without a light, some go months. The bulk of people will get the light on within 100 miles, especially if you drive on the freeway a lot.
The check engine light really doesn't effect anything but an annoying light, beeping, and the remote start not working (if you have it). But there is more power available with a good tune, and will run better.

C) I personally would not weld it on. Clamps will hold it on just fine, just go through and tighten them every once in a while. Welding holds it nice and tight, but thats not always a good thing, as the exhaust heats, it expands and contracts, and most aftermarket exhausts are designed to allow this using the clamps. I've seen one exhaust that was completely welded, welded to the long tube headers and all the way to the tips and it actually tore itself apart; and it could not be warrantied after the welding. Clamps will do just fine.

D) You can drop the entire stock exhaust out of the car if you have it high enough, just have to undo the front sleeve clamps, and pull it out. Otherwise yes, you can cut it up in pieces. Sawzalls work great!

If done and tuned right, you should have no problem with higher mileage and a supercharger, unless you want huge power.
For now, like JoshBobGuptaMarley mentioned, a Magnaflow exhaust, cold air intake (I'd recommend an Airaid), and a VMAX throttle body will give you good power, great sound, retain your warranty, and will all work well with the supercharger down the road (depending on which supercharger you go with). Feel free to call, email or PM us anytime, we have some crazy deals on this setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
BTW: Look around at prices on the Magnaflow cat-back. Then call JDP Motorsports (call don't go by the website prices) and you'll see they'll have some of the best prices. They are a vendor on here and have great customer service.
Thanks!

- Jeremy
Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
dshep214

Well u said u didn't want to supercharge it until the warranty is up so u made it sound like it was your daily driver and u were gonna rack a bunch of miles up on it before adding a supercharger. My statement was a engine that is getting wore down with a bunch of miles that adding boost isn't good for it. On the other note if it isn't your everyday driver just supercharge it now bc if I wait til after your warranty u will have still have to fix repairs yourself. So if ur gonna have to fix ur repairs anyways y wait? I added cam long tube headers and others at 700 miles.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
If you are worried about your warranty, do not change to headers and delete your cats. Just do a cat back exhaust or axle back exhaust.

If you say to hell with the warranty the do long tubes with high flow cats leave the stock resonator and do either cat back or axle back with a tune. It will sound tough I promise you.
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #23
evilbeef54
tail lights for u

Drives: Bumble Bee 2010 2SS/RS
I just installed my kooks long tube headers, and high flow cats, very easy job, no cuttingor welding needed, everything lined up perfect and with the design of everything it all seals up very nice with out welding. It also came with the lower o2 extenders and i have not gotten a check engine light, it seems that with the extenders you will not get the CEL, I have not tuned yet, still trying to decide if i am going to go the SCT and remote tune option from jannety or just for over the $$$ for HP Tuners as i used to do a bit a tuning on my 94 and wouldnt mind getting back into that. The car drives fine with the stock tune, i know i am leaving some power on the table until i get the tune done, but it drives fine and no CEL with LTs High flow cats and a stock tune, and if i needed to get warranty work done i would simply take the 2 hours to swap back to the stock exhaust system and take it in
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RY M6- LOVIN' it
Kooks LT's & HFC's, Flowmaster Single chamber mufflers, C.A.I. Intake, ADM Scoop, Rotofab w/w relocate

Semper Paratus

You have to go out You don't have to come back!!!
evilbeef54 is offline   Reply With Quote