Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,544
GM WARRANTY FOR TRACK USE?

So maybe I missed it somewhere on a previous post, but what is going to be the warranty status if you put your ZL1 on track/strip?


I haven't been able to find any official GM warranty guide to cover for track use, for a car that has been designed by GM for the track!

So someone chime in on that please!
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team
 
Buffnshine's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 2,601
good question spy, since that is waht they are marketing the car for
__________________
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
HEMI DAVE
 
HEMI DAVE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06, 2015 Hellcat Challenger,
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LONG ISLAND,NEW YORK
Posts: 655
I would think you would be red flaged

That goes for Ford and Chrysler also.........



......but I am just guessing
__________________
HEMI DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
I'm guessing it will be taken on a case by case basis. Professional race = NO. Weekend warrior sometimes and you stayed within driving guidelines = YES. There is a paragraph in the manual that says not to change the PTM system while moving or it will result in damage that is not covered under warranty. It is a warning to use properly.

I believe that based on their marketing and the manual they have an implied warranty for racing. It does not EXPLICITY prohibit racing from what I have seen. Fords does so.

Now if you have NON stock tires and rip out a rear end, I would figure its your dime. You put on a CAI, or anything non stock mechanically, its your dime.

If you put on decals/wraps it surely would hurt your paint warranty!

Just my opinion at this time. So, don't get po'd at my interpretations.
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I

I believe that based on their marketing and the manual they have an implied warranty for racing. It does not EXPLICITY prohibit racing from what I have seen.
With all the various GM brass on this website, I would like to see an official reply.

My clarification, keeping the ZL1 completely stock as delivered and say participating in the LSX Challenge Race Class "Nitto Tire 5th Gen Camaro Challenge "
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
mickey123456
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ZL1
Posts: 98
Read the owners manual. It covers racing and teaches you how to properly prep the car, and what mode to have it in. The owner's manual basically tells you to race it. The warranty does cover racing and drag strip sessions just as long as you do what is outlined in the owners manual.
mickey123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem
 
slick rick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 5,488
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200828

The ZL1 manual says

Quote:
Racing or Other Competitive Driving Racing or competitive driving may affect the vehicle warranty. See the warranty book before using the vehicle for racing or other competitive driving.
Where can we find a copy of the 2012 warranty book?
__________________
slick rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
With all the various GM brass on this website, I would like to see an official reply.

My clarification, keeping the ZL1 completely stock as delivered and say participating in the LSX Challenge Race Class "Nitto Tire 5th Gen Camaro Challenge "

Would that mean using Nitto tires instead of stock tires?
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Wondering
 
Wondering's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I'm guessing it will be taken on a case by case basis. Professional race = NO. Weekend warrior sometimes and you stayed within driving guidelines = YES. There is a paragraph in the manual that says not to change the PTM system while moving or it will result in damage that is not covered under warranty. It is a warning to use properly.

I believe that based on their marketing and the manual they have an implied warranty for racing. It does not EXPLICITY prohibit racing from what I have seen. Fords does so.

Now if you have NON stock tires and rip out a rear end, I would figure its your dime. You put on a CAI, or anything non stock mechanically, its your dime.

If you put on decals/wraps it surely would hurt your paint warranty!

Just my opinion at this time. So, don't get po'd at my interpretations.
Corvette owners have been saying this since 2002 when the C5 Z06 was introduced. The car even came with a video detailing how to put negative camber in when tracking the car. Along with a few other pointers.

But owners found out quick that if anything broke at the track,it was on their dime,not GM's. Over the past 10 years there have been countless threads over at Corvette Forum where a bone stock car was denied warranty coverage(powertrain).

The simple answer is to read the exclusions section in your warranty booklet.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
OK...... I found this on the ZL1 website.... Its on page 10

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/en/p...hev_lim_wm.pdf

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover damage caused as the result of any of the following:
. Collision, fire, theft, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion,
or objects striking the vehicle.
. Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing, or other competition. Proper vehicle use is discussed in the owner manual.

Edit: Now, since it says proper use is discussed in the owner manual, and the owner manual describes how to race it, there is a conflict that needs to be resolved!!
They both can't be correct???

PS: It's HALFTIME at the PLANT and the SECOND HALF IS GETTING READY TO START!!!!
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Would that mean using Nitto tires instead of stock tires?
NITTO just sponsors the event, you can run stock 100%
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
. Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing, or other competition. Proper vehicle use is discussed in the owner manual.

Edit: Now, since it says proper use is discussed in the owner manual, and the owner manual describes how to race it, there is a conflict that needs to be resolved!!
They both can't be correct???

PS: It's HALFTIME at the PLANT and the SECOND HALF IS GETTING READY TO START!!!!
Exactly my point!!

I would like Al Oppenheiser or some other CamaroTeam member to clarifiy this without all the ambiguity.
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,978
Am I the only person that does not have a problem with just lying? If I broke my car at the dragstrip I would drop at at the dealer and just say it broke under normal conditions.

The same way they try to lie and tell me things are normal to get out of fixing things.
__________________
2017 zl1 or GT350 hmmmm
2015 Hellcat-sold
2013 ZL1 -sold
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...
 
BowtieBelle's Avatar
 
Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 13,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
Am I the only person that does not have a problem with just lying? If I broke my car at the dragstrip I would drop at at the dealer and just say it broke under normal conditions.

The same way they try to lie and tell me things are normal to get out of fixing things.
This. Have it towed off the track. Simple.
__________________
"Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff." -CamaroSpike

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A99 Custom "Stealth" Tune - need help with shifts slickmetal Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission 34 09-01-2011 07:11 PM
Extended Warranty???? Good or Bad Deal 1FAST SS 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 72 07-18-2011 08:20 PM
Warranty Officially Voided themossman 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 227 04-16-2011 09:50 PM
Undetectable Tunes - What You Should Know kelley@vectormotorsports V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 159 09-18-2009 02:18 PM
GM Adds Used-Car Powertrain Warranty KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 02-06-2007 07:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.