Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
GM WARRANTY FOR TRACK USE?

So maybe I missed it somewhere on a previous post, but what is going to be the warranty status if you put your ZL1 on track/strip?

I haven't been able to find any official GM warranty guide to cover for track use, for a car that has been designed by GM for the track!

So someone chime in on that please!
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
good question spy, since that is waht they are marketing the car for
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
HEMI DAVE

Drives: GWE 392/Super Bee SRT8/Turbo 350Z
I would think you would be red flaged

That goes for Ford and Chrysler also.........

......but I am just guessing
Old 02-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I'm guessing it will be taken on a case by case basis. Professional race = NO. Weekend warrior sometimes and you stayed within driving guidelines = YES. There is a paragraph in the manual that says not to change the PTM system while moving or it will result in damage that is not covered under warranty. It is a warning to use properly.

I believe that based on their marketing and the manual they have an implied warranty for racing. It does not EXPLICITY prohibit racing from what I have seen. Fords does so.

Now if you have NON stock tires and rip out a rear end, I would figure its your dime. You put on a CAI, or anything non stock mechanically, its your dime.

If you put on decals/wraps it surely would hurt your paint warranty!

Just my opinion at this time. So, don't get po'd at my interpretations.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
thespymaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I

I believe that based on their marketing and the manual they have an implied warranty for racing. It does not EXPLICITY prohibit racing from what I have seen.
With all the various GM brass on this website, I would like to see an official reply.

My clarification, keeping the ZL1 completely stock as delivered and say participating in the LSX Challenge Race Class "Nitto Tire 5th Gen Camaro Challenge "
Old 02-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
mickey123456

Read the owners manual. It covers racing and teaches you how to properly prep the car, and what mode to have it in. The owner's manual basically tells you to race it. The warranty does cover racing and drag strip sessions just as long as you do what is outlined in the owners manual.
mickey123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200828

The ZL1 manual says

Quote:
Racing or Other Competitive Driving Racing or competitive driving may affect the vehicle warranty. See the warranty book before using the vehicle for racing or other competitive driving.
Where can we find a copy of the 2012 warranty book?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
htron50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
With all the various GM brass on this website, I would like to see an official reply.

My clarification, keeping the ZL1 completely stock as delivered and say participating in the LSX Challenge Race Class "Nitto Tire 5th Gen Camaro Challenge "

Would that mean using Nitto tires instead of stock tires?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
I'm guessing it will be taken on a case by case basis. Professional race = NO. Weekend warrior sometimes and you stayed within driving guidelines = YES. There is a paragraph in the manual that says not to change the PTM system while moving or it will result in damage that is not covered under warranty. It is a warning to use properly.

I believe that based on their marketing and the manual they have an implied warranty for racing. It does not EXPLICITY prohibit racing from what I have seen. Fords does so.

Now if you have NON stock tires and rip out a rear end, I would figure its your dime. You put on a CAI, or anything non stock mechanically, its your dime.

If you put on decals/wraps it surely would hurt your paint warranty!

Just my opinion at this time. So, don't get po'd at my interpretations.
Corvette owners have been saying this since 2002 when the C5 Z06 was introduced. The car even came with a video detailing how to put negative camber in when tracking the car. Along with a few other pointers.

But owners found out quick that if anything broke at the track,it was on their dime,not GM's. Over the past 10 years there have been countless threads over at Corvette Forum where a bone stock car was denied warranty coverage(powertrain).

The simple answer is to read the exclusions section in your warranty booklet.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
htron50

OK...... I found this on the ZL1 website.... Its on page 10

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/en/p...hev_lim_wm.pdf

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover damage caused as the result of any of the following:
. Collision, fire, theft, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion,
or objects striking the vehicle.
. Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing, or other competition. Proper vehicle use is discussed in the owner manual.

Edit: Now, since it says proper use is discussed in the owner manual, and the owner manual describes how to race it, there is a conflict that needs to be resolved!!
They both can't be correct???

PS: It's HALFTIME at the PLANT and the SECOND HALF IS GETTING READY TO START!!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
thespymaster

Quote:
Would that mean using Nitto tires instead of stock tires?
NITTO just sponsors the event, you can run stock 100%
Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
thespymaster

Quote:
. Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing, or other competition. Proper vehicle use is discussed in the owner manual.

Edit: Now, since it says proper use is discussed in the owner manual, and the owner manual describes how to race it, there is a conflict that needs to be resolved!!
They both can't be correct???

PS: It's HALFTIME at the PLANT and the SECOND HALF IS GETTING READY TO START!!!!
Exactly my point!!

I would like Al Oppenheiser or some other CamaroTeam member to clarifiy this without all the ambiguity.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Am I the only person that does not have a problem with just lying? If I broke my car at the dragstrip I would drop at at the dealer and just say it broke under normal conditions.

The same way they try to lie and tell me things are normal to get out of fixing things.
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
Am I the only person that does not have a problem with just lying? If I broke my car at the dragstrip I would drop at at the dealer and just say it broke under normal conditions.

The same way they try to lie and tell me things are normal to get out of fixing things.
This. Have it towed off the track. Simple.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
thespymaster

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
This. Have it towed off the track. Simple.
Not that simple..

You can bet, when the various modes are selected, it's going to log it!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #16
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Exactly my point!!

I would like Al Oppenheiser or some other CamaroTeam member to clarifiy this without all the ambiguity.
I would think that for legal reasons, you'll never see any GM rep make ANY statements about warranties.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
556hp

Drives: 10 CTS-V
Quote:

Yeah...sorry...I have issues with that statement. Nothing against you, but why would you damage your car racing and then expect the factory to foot the repair bill? True racing enthusiast would feel that damage and repairs to race cars is just part of the sport.

BTW....on the CTS-V...over speed is logged in the VCM and if you have On-Star...expect a call.
556hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
vehicle racing is not a poor mans sport, i think everyone relizes that. I am sure there is a definition some where that states how a car is to opperate per release to general public and what the warranty should cover at the definition of normal use of the vehicle. When you take it to the track all bets are off.

Sure you can lie or have a buddy hook you up. After all its the american way ....... get them as good as they get you right. I say take your chances, never know till you try and most dealerships aren't exactly saints. Ide bet for every substantial claim a service department has rejected a shady claim got covered.
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
LoL... Just have it towed and when they read the Data Logs from the ECM and it reads a 6,200 RPM run and they find out a racing or sanctioned event was nearby, good luck... They ain't stupid, they obviously are gonna know that alot of folks that buy this car are gonna run it hard...
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
I think people are confusing two items here racing vs High Performance Driving. HPD is done in a controlled sistuation, no timing, no side by side racing and passing only when the car in front allows you to. HPD is to allow a driver to learn their vehicle, when you are on the track you have very strict rules to follow; failing to follow the rules gets you kicked off the track. I have found HPD to be safer than driving on the freeway.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #21
chain777

Drives: Slow
I think fbodfather needs to respond to this. He kept pointing out that Ford denied warranty coverage on the GT500 in a track setting, but implied that the ZL1 was good to go. I don't remember him specifically saying it was covered, but he didn't deny it either. He just used it as an example of an advantage the ZL1 had over the GT500, in addition to the coolers that were standard equipment on the ZL1, and optional on the GT500.

Pretty sure that's where this rumor of track warranty started, I could be wrong...
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #22
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I'll bet a large chunk of money that if you track your car, and something breaks while at the track GM will not cover it.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
First, yes I have a big problem with lying about anything. It just ain't right, no matter the reason. But that's just me.

Second, I don't think you will ever get an "official answer".
Because of the way warranty work is setup and different dealerships views and your personal relationship with your dealers service department may vary, you may or may not have an issue with warranty repairs.

I have a great relationship with my dealer. He knows I go to track days. He also knows I am more meticulous with maintenance and general care of my car that his average customer and I wouldn't purposely abuse my car to the point of failure. With that in mind, I have NEVER had any issue with warranty even with numerous moderations to the vehicle.

I would never expect them to cover something that I did that was abusive. They know I would NEVER lie to them and that relationship keeps it friendly and easy to resolve any issues.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
LoL.....Yeah, let's see the dealership cover any type of "questionable" Damage when they look at the car.. Read the warranty...
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #25
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Not that simple..

You can bet, when the various modes are selected, it's going to log it!
it is exactly that simple. I have done it before. they don't know when or where you car breaks down. I smoked second gear syncro's on my 08 corvette new tranny under waranty. granted I drove it to the dealer but how they do say what happened. drove in said the car was grinding into second.

yeah I am not sure that it has a running log every time you switch traction mode. It does not state in the manual that using setting 5 voids the waranty. So that alone even if it did would not void you waranty unless they edit the manual/information.
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote