Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
lincoln361
 
lincoln361's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: corpus christi tx
Posts: 735
Smile Vararam Intake worth it?

I am thinking about getting the vararam intake for my 2011 camaro ss L99. I was wondering if anybody has had this intake installed, and if so, we the results worth the price of it. Also if anybody has heard anything negative about it as well. Thanks in advance.
lincoln361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Ricky11SS
 
Ricky11SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hidalgo Tx
Posts: 249
every cent worth it man
Ricky11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
CooG
Never ******
 
CooG's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Camaro SS/RS Convertible - RED
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 952
Better be! I have spent every afternoon this week sanding, priming, painting, and clear coating mine!
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Parag

 
Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,338
Comparable to the other intakes, alot of people have it
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
camarossrs2150
gfx installed
 
camarossrs2150's Avatar
 
Drives: abm2ssrs
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: still out of my mind
Posts: 2,060
as long as they got all the kinks out, its one of the best . when i was looking not so good . who is to really say if its the best unless you try them all yourself .
__________________
[SIGPIC]
camarossrs2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
nebchevy
 
nebchevy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Blair Nebraska
Posts: 597
I have been trying to firgure out if I want that or a CAI
nebchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,810
I think it is worth it. Here is my cai history in order of fist to current.

CAI
Vararam
Halltech Yellowjacket
Hybrid that dyno'd really well (Halltech tube and filter, Roto-Fab box, ADM scoop)
Vararam

All of the intakes are nice and all company owner/reps great to deal with. There is something about the throttle response I feel when making any positive throttle changes with the Vararam that hooked me.

If I had to give it a negative, it would be that the filter takes a bit more time to remove than others. And the filter gets dirtier faaster because of it's location. But the location is what makes it what it is.
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
nebchevy
 
nebchevy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Blair Nebraska
Posts: 597
Whos got a good price on a Vararam from the forums... Anyone or are they always 399
nebchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
JWMotoring
 
JWMotoring's Avatar
 
Drives: SS Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,411
Send a message via Yahoo to JWMotoring
Yes they are worth it. I run one in my personal vehicle and love it (C5 Vette). We've carried them for 3 years now with nothing but positive results. They perform!
JWMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebchevy View Post
Whos got a good price on a Vararam from the forums... Anyone or are they always 399
Nearly everyone has them for 383.75 shipped. Pretty sure the VR minimum retail sale price is fixed. Vendors can do things like free shipping, free tune, free t-shirt etc, to sweaten the pot.

This has become common practice over the past few years.
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Better be! I have spent every afternoon this week sanding, priming, painting, and clear coating mine!

LMOA, That's exactly what I did last night and today! A lot more work than I imagine! Post pictures when your done. I should have mine completed tomorrow and will post pictures
Nathan Moreno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
lincoln361
 
lincoln361's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: corpus christi tx
Posts: 735
So far, nothing but positive results on here. Thanks guys for yalls opinions
lincoln361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
Soundplus
 
Drives: 2012 Silver Ice SS2 RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebchevy View Post
Whos got a good price on a Vararam from the forums... Anyone or are they always 399

I have been doing some research on this item for my new 2012 2SS/RS. I am 99% sure I will be purchasing this intake. I have sent an E-mail to Vararam to get some answers on WHICH model to buy. the tune version or non-tune version. but I am going to go with the VR-SS model.

After a lot of internet time what I have read is that the model that originally came out to fit the 2010+ model camaro's had some issues with rough low end idle. Vararam went back into the shop and worked out the kinks and came out with a model they call (VR-SS) model. This model has supposedly fixed that issue and the reviews for it our top notch. Vararam also found in there shop time that some camaro's came with what they called a weak airflow sensor. so be sure to check your car's sensor to make sure it is not a weak one. There is a page out there that shows you how to check it and what to look for. Sorry I don't have the link for it.

how this was helpful.


HURRY UP VARARAM.. I want my damn answers..
Soundplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
sschevybear11
 
sschevybear11's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: moline,il
Posts: 504
Had quality issues and slower track times. Mileage may differ.
__________________
2011 Black 1SS M6 12.75@110.91 bone stock
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea
 
KEEP RT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Posts: 1,777
I like mine.
__________________
KEEP RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
ssmike
Missing Big Red
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 6,218
I went to a Vararam, thanks to IndeedSS1 loaning me one to try, after trying 3 others and I have to say for throttle response and best driveability I'm pleased with the VR! Fitment and overall quality leave a little to be desired but not bad overall!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundplus View Post
I have been doing some research on this item for my new 2012 2SS/RS. I am 99% sure I will be purchasing this intake. I have sent an E-mail to Vararam to get some answers on WHICH model to buy. the tune version or non-tune version. but I am going to go with the VR-SS model.

After a lot of internet time what I have read is that the model that originally came out to fit the 2010+ model camaro's had some issues with rough low end idle. Vararam went back into the shop and worked out the kinks and came out with a model they call (VR-SS) model. This model has supposedly fixed that issue and the reviews for it our top notch. Vararam also found in there shop time that some camaro's came with what they called a weak airflow sensor. so be sure to check your car's sensor to make sure it is not a weak one. There is a page out there that shows you how to check it and what to look for. Sorry I don't have the link for it.

how this was helpful.


HURRY UP VARARAM.. I want my damn answers..
Call them. The guys are friendly and really helpful.
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
Soundplus
 
Drives: 2012 Silver Ice SS2 RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 152
I never seem to get home in time to catch any one. I always get the answering machine. My questions stem from their dividing line of which to get. 430 rwhp and under no tune.. 430 and up.. tune.. but because I will be right on the cusp and getting a tune anyways. I am unsure. and not enough of a gear head to know. so I will ask the people that do.

here is what I sent them, My car specs 2012 2ss/rs camaro ls3 M6 with my intended mods. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and custom tune. and my questions.

Here are my questions.

First. Which of the versions should I get? the no tune or tune?

Second. if I get the no tune version do I have it installed before I get the headers and tune installed, at the time the headers and tune are installed, or do I wait until after those are done and then install the no tune version.
The second part of my second question is, If I install the intake before the headers and tune, do I still need to drive it 100 miles like the instructions say then take it to the pro shop[? and does the pro shop need anything to be able to set up and tune the car correctly?
Part three., If I have the intake installed at the same time as the headers and tune, will the car still need to be driven 100 miles as the instructions say? and does the pro shop need anything to be able to set up and tune the car correctly?
part four, if I wait utill after the headers and tune are installed then install the intake. is there anything the pro shop needs to correctly setup and tune the car? Will I still have to drive it 100 miles as the instructions say AND will this adversely effect the tune the pro shop just completed?

Third. If I get the tune version, should this be installed at the same time as the headers and tune? or do I wait till after they are done and then install this and get it re-tuned? Common sense here says it should all be done at the same time. That being said. is there anything the pro shop needs to correctly setup and tune the car with the tune version?

I would love to talk to a tech. got a good number for me to call?
and anyone of you that have info for me that would be greatly appreciated as well
Soundplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
sneakypete
OOH..Sneaky, Sneaky!!
 
sneakypete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia / Fredericksburg
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Better be! I have spent every afternoon this week sanding, priming, painting, and clear coating mine!

Lets see some pics!
sneakypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I went to a Vararam, thanks to IndeedSS1 loaning me one to try, after trying 3 others and I have to say for throttle response and best driveability I'm pleased with the VR! Fitment and overall quality leave a little to be desired but not bad overall!
You are welcome. It's something a person really has to compare against others to appreciate.
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
IndeedSS1


 
IndeedSS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern MO
Posts: 3,810
The tune version will give you a little more HP, once tuned, than the no tune. However you can still have the no tuned tuned for some additional HP.

Since you are going to tune just get the tune version and have it all done at the same time. Tuning negates the need for the 100 miles drive cycle.
__________________


She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundplus View Post
I never seem to get home in time to catch any one. I always get the answering machine. My questions stem from their dividing line of which to get. 430 rwhp and under no tune.. 430 and up.. tune.. but because I will be right on the cusp and getting a tune anyways. I am unsure. and not enough of a gear head to know. so I will ask the people that do.

here is what I sent them, My car specs 2012 2ss/rs camaro ls3 M6 with my intended mods. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and custom tune. and my questions.

Here are my questions.

First. Which of the versions should I get? the no tune or tune?

Second. if I get the no tune version do I have it installed before I get the headers and tune installed, at the time the headers and tune are installed, or do I wait until after those are done and then install the no tune version.
The second part of my second question is, If I install the intake before the headers and tune, do I still need to drive it 100 miles like the instructions say then take it to the pro shop[? and does the pro shop need anything to be able to set up and tune the car correctly?
Part three., If I have the intake installed at the same time as the headers and tune, will the car still need to be driven 100 miles as the instructions say? and does the pro shop need anything to be able to set up and tune the car correctly?
part four, if I wait utill after the headers and tune are installed then install the intake. is there anything the pro shop needs to correctly setup and tune the car? Will I still have to drive it 100 miles as the instructions say AND will this adversely effect the tune the pro shop just completed?

Third. If I get the tune version, should this be installed at the same time as the headers and tune? or do I wait till after they are done and then install this and get it re-tuned? Common sense here says it should all be done at the same time. That being said. is there anything the pro shop needs to correctly setup and tune the car with the tune version?

I would love to talk to a tech. got a good number for me to call?
and anyone of you that have info for me that would be greatly appreciated as well
Best advice I can give you...

1. Get the tune model if you are going to mod and tune anyway. Just wait to install it until you are ready to get it tuned. If you won't be tuning right away, then hold off on getting the intake. No point in buying the no-tune model if you are going to mod and tune anyhow - might as well get the added gains with the tune model.

2. Try to call them between 10am-3pm M-F (Central time zone). Best chance of catching someone near the phone.

3. Double check with them on the fitment for a 2012 Camaro. I seem to remember them mentioning something last time I was there that the radiator cap moved slightly in the 2012's and they needed to make an adjustment in the design/castings to accommodate it.
__________________

#1: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red M6 - July 2009-Oct 2011 (SOLD). #2: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy Green A6 - Oct 2011.....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
redbee03
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newport News, Va.
Posts: 26
I just installed and dyno'ed my Vararam intake on my LS3. It replaced the K&N Typhoon. It made 6 rwhp and 10 ft lb over the K&N. The biggest gain and reason for buying it was to keep the IAT cool, and WOW, it only got 3 degrees over ambient air temp at it's hottest! Love this intake!
__________________
redbee03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?
 
SSGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Some where in So Cal
Posts: 4,167
Any dyno #'s for an L99 with the non tune and with tune. Im debating between this and CAI.
__________________
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #25
Soundplus
 
Drives: 2012 Silver Ice SS2 RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 152
Well I just got the skinny from VaraRam..

Their Answer to my questions were as follows.
Doesn't fit the 2012 - working on a unit now!
To which I had to make a follow up call. the tech line mail box was full so I left a message on the sales line. I did get a call back and here is what I found out.

Rolnslo is correct, because GM moved the Radiator cap. the VR-SS model does not fit. They are currently working on a version that does. they expect it to be complete in 4 to 6 weeks.
As for my list of questions. he could give me no real answers because they do not know if the new version will react the same way to the 2012 as the old version does to the 2011. He will not speculate but insures me that they will make sure the product works properly before they put it out for sale.
SO being the pain in the ass I am I asked him these questions using the 2010-11 camaro's and the VR-SS.
here is what I got
You can use either version (tune or no tune) Any descent pro shop should be able to set the car up correctly to get the best performance from the intake and any other mods they are putting on. AND he added that if I install the intake after the mods are done .. ANY reputable shop should "touch up" the tune for a small fee if not free. AND that I should ASK the shop about touch ups before I let them work on my car.

I hope this helps someone out there. me.. I guess I am waiting a few weeks
Soundplus is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just had my Vararam Intake Installed HeavyChevy Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 20 02-18-2012 04:44 PM
Muscle Division V8 INTAKE AND PROGRAMMER MEGA SALE & POWER PACKAGES ImportImage V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 12 11-06-2011 07:28 PM
**K&N TYPHOON and AIRCHARGER Intake kits ~ 18+ HP! ~ Lowest Prices!** Circuit Motorsports V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 81 05-24-2010 04:21 PM
Front Horn Mounts for Vararam intake Jayhawk500 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 9 04-19-2010 10:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.