Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
perfxn

Drives: 2SS RS
Why are ford engines cheaper and easier to add HP?

Back befor i got my GT i was looking at a z28 for some reason the deal didnt work out but i talked to mechanic at the time and he was like its easier to add power on your mustang any way? And so far from what ive read on here it sounds the same. Im not gona buy a mustang, i love my 2SS RS and i havnt even met her yet, i just want a better understanding, thats all. thanks
perfxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
You have one opinion there. There are billions more.

There are a lot of different engines so just an open statement like that is silly.

Did he tell you that in 1965 or today?

It's a long story you might want to start reading up. Each engine has specific issues, plus and minus. Has nothing to do with Ford or Chevy or any brand. Every single engine should stand on it's own.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
You get what you pay for...
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfxn View Post
Back befor i got my GT i was looking at a z28 for some reason the deal didnt work out but i talked to mechanic at the time and he was like its easier to add power on your mustang any way? And so far from what ive read on here it sounds the same. Im not gona buy a mustang, i love my 2SS RS and i havnt even met her yet, i just want a better understanding, thats all. thanks
I would not agree if he was talking N/A to N/A .. however if he was talking about 03/04 cobra or GT500 then I would agree as you can get more HP Cheaper with those engines than on an N/A motor ..

Crowley
Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Isshinryu

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS yellow/black
Quote:
Because there's not a lot of it to begin with?
Isshinryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I would not agree if he was talking N/A to N/A .. however if he was talking about 03/04 cobra or GT500 then I would agree as you can get more HP Cheaper with those engines than on an N/A motor ..

Crowley
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
perfxn

first of all i didnt say it was my opinion and this isnt a statement its a question.

I was thinking mayeb its the way the engine is made or something? some way said something about modular, i have no idea what that means..?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
first of all i didnt say it was my opinion and this isnt a statement its a question.

I was thinking mayeb its the way the engine is made or something? some way said something about modular, i have no idea what that means..?
I think he is flat out incorrect. Read post #4 he gave you a great answer. Aslo keep in mind it depends on what type of mustang. If it is a stang that came with a blower from the factory then he is correct (i.e. 03 SVT cobra and GT-500) if not (I.E. All other mustangs) then he if flat out wrong. N.A. to N.A. the camro makes waaaaay more horspower than the mustang and more potiental too. Hell I have seen 4th gen Camaros makeing well over 500hp with a heads and cam swap.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Tal

Drives: Old
Your mechanic meant he was more familiar with Ford engines. The costs of parts do vary but generally they both make engines that end up being relatively affordable to modify unlike many imports.

Some Mustang engines are easier to add power to because they come with a supercharger already and you can adjust them for more boost without a ton of work, but not a Mustang GT. If you are going for crazy high horsepower a heavier iron block like Ford uses is sturdy but that matters for maybe 1 in 10,000 cars and you can get more horsepower than you can really use on the street from the LS block, I'm not even sure how much of an issue this is since I don't pay close attention to the hardcore dragster builds.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
perfxn

ok i see thanks, any one know what modular means as far as engines go?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
I think he is flat out incorrect. Read post #4 he gave you a great answer. Aslo keep in mind it depends on what type of mustang. If it is a stang that came with a blower from the factory then he is correct (i.e. 03 SVT cobra and GT-500) if not (I.E. All other mustangs) then he if flat out wrong. N.A. to N.A. the camro makes waaaaay more horspower than the mustang and more potiental too. Hell I have seen 4th gen Camaros makeing well over 500hp with a heads and cam swap.
its not only that it comes with a blower from factory, but a built engine. thats the key. i sound like a broken record but the built engine is what allows for the massive HP in those engines, not the blower. you can put a twin screw on a GT and the stock block is good to about 550 crank. on the built engines its 800+ crank.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
ok i see thanks, any one know what modular means as far as engines go?
The ford mod engines refers to the modular plant layout. Tooling can be quickly swapped to build different engines of the same family. It does not refer to the interchangeability of parts between the engines.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #13
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
For an SN95 era mod motor? No. Just hands down no.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:49 AM   #14
Rock

Drives: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
its not only that it comes with a blower from factory, but a built engine. thats the key. i sound like a broken record but the built engine is what allows for the massive HP in those engines, not the blower. you can put a twin screw on a GT and the stock block is good to about 550 crank. on the built engines its 800+ crank.
+1
Those engines were designed for boost, and power is far easier to acquire out of a boosted application than it is out of a N/A application not counting giggle gas, and is cheaper as well. I also think they have an advantage boost to boost as well considering the 4.6 is a 32V DOHC.
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:24 AM   #15
Camaro_Psycho

Drives: 1981 Chevy Celebrity
Quote:
Im not gona buy a mustang, i love my 2SS RS and i havnt even met her yet, i just want a better understanding, thats all. thanks
Spoken like a true poet.
Camaro_Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #16
Jonmalibuss

Drives: 2005 Silverado VHO
Send a message via AIM to Jonmalibuss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isshinryu View Post
Because there's not a lot of it to begin with?

2005 Silverado VHO: Outlaw intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Belltech drop, 4.11 gears with Eaton LSD, Baer brakes 15" up front with 6 piston calipers, drum to disk 14" conversion for the rear, IForged 22"x10" 2 piece wheels, probably many more mods which I have missed...
Soon to be 2010-2011 Camaro SS/RS This is if the truck is worth trading in or I get it paid off!
Jonmalibuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #17
SubSolar

Drives: 2009 Corvette, 1987 Buick GN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Crowley
+1. I don't think the NA mod motors are that great to modify compared to LS engines. Not enough cubes to work with.
SubSolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #18
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
The Modular design was to use the same layout on a V6, V8 and the V10. The pistons, rods and valvetrain components were the same between the engines. The tooling could be used for all the engine configurations.

Also the engines are small displacement. They have small bores and long strokes. They felt that this would give them a wider smoother torque band.

Because the ports are small they respond very well to power adders. In NA form they are not very impressive. I feel that the blowers on the Cobra's and Shelbys are a band aid. That is my opinion hehe.

Ford was smart to use the parts they did in the Cobra engine in 03 and 04. They can make a bunch of power.

Now the LS engines are more like a racer would design. Big ports, short stroke and a very light valvetrain. Hell a 5.3 against a 5.4 Modular with the same mods is a rock solid deal and would kick its butt.

Now you take a LS3 that is RATED at 426. On the dyno that I use it made 480 at the crank. Now remember that is without a supercharger.

Your going to have some mod motor guys try an talk about new technology with the overhead cam deal. Well boys that all goes out the window when you look at the long stroke and small bore.

I LOVE theses LS engines

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #19
rayhawk

Drives: Trailblazer SS
Long stroke, small bore equates to a higher thermal efficiency, generally speaking. Performance suffers due to less space for valves though. This, in my opinion, is the primary achilles heal of the mod motor for performance applications. There are plenty of opinions when it comes to engine design, Ford is not stupid and neither are their engineers so they did a lot of homework to pick this design. I believe that the tradeoffs and the limitations imposed by the design as well as the higher cost make the mod motors very limited in a performance aspect, especially where modifications are concerned.

On the other hand, they have sold a lot of these and made a lot of money, so that goal was certainly achieved. And never underestimate the uneducated consumer's opinion (and magazine writers) influence on what makes it to production. Look at the writeups out there. They often mention the great technology in the LLT V6, and then say oh the LS3 is ok too, but after throwing a stupid jab about the old technology. We all know the LS3 is a beast and it is barely trying, but that does'nt matter because it is not an OHC motor. People love to say how many cams or valves their motor has, even if 99% of them think their DOHC V6 has 2 camshafts.

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
72 VW Beetle, 2275cc, Dual 44 IDF's
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #20
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
Because there are 10X more Mustangs in the world than camaros.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #21
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
depending on which motors you are comparing, mustang motors are normally lower cr than that of the f-bodys. add to that the OHC part and yes. it can be EASIER to add power to the mustang due to the build of the motor. swapping a cam on an OHC motor can be easier than an OHV motor.

but lower compression is one of the leading factors.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #22
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
Hell a 5.3 against a 5.4 Modular with the same mods is a rock solid deal and would kick its butt.
Are you comparing a 5.4 DOHC or SOHC?
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote