Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Upgrading from Pfadt lowering springs to Pfadt coil overs?

Hello all,

Was wondering what is the difference in feel between Pfadt lowering springs on stock struts vs Pfadt coil overs?

I will be upgrading this summer but wondering if I can expect the ride quality to be better on coil overs? The ride quality on the lowering springs isn't that bad, but it is still somewhat harsh going over bumps. Do the coilovers "feel" the same roughly?
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
With the coil overs not only will you be able to adjust ride height but you can also adjust the ride to how you want it. Going to the Pfadt coil overs will be a BIG step up.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
With the coil overs not only will you be able to adjust ride height but you can also adjust the ride to how you want it. Going to the Pfadt coil overs will be a BIG step up.

This! Though I personally feel the spring rates are too soft in the rear but that has been somewhat easily fixed with new springs!
Old 01-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
jover

Drives: Victory Red SS
When u are ready to sell your lowering springs i will take them off your hands.
jover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
This! Though I personally feel the spring rates are too soft in the rear but that has been somewhat easily fixed with new springs!
The ability to do exactly that with the Pfadt coil overs is one of the things that sets them apart. While most other coil overs on the market use custom wound springs, which limits you to their spring rate, the Pfadt system uses standard sized race springs allowing hundreds of spring rates possibilities in 25 lb/in increments. The standard spring rate combination (275 lbs/in front and 500 lbs/in rear) works great for most people, but the flexibility is there for those that need it.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The ability to do exactly that with the Pfadt coil overs is one of the things that sets them apart. While most other coil overs on the market use custom wound springs, which limits you to their spring rate, the Pfadt system uses standard sized race springs allowing hundreds of spring rates possibilities in 25 lb/in increments. The standard spring rate combination (275 lbs/in front and 500 lbs/in rear) works great for most people, but the flexibility is there for those that need it.

Hmmm, interesting. There must have been a change made. Probably "inspired" by me!

Mine came with 275 front and 450 rear. I had to "convince" Aaron when he was replacing the fronts (to correct the "coil bind" problem us early adopters had and is no longer an issue) to give me 500 rears. And I found the 500's to be too soft for my taste (even with the adjusters cranked full) and have gone to 600's...but yes, it is as simple as buying new springs and swapping them out. Tho the process is not for the faint of heart. The rears are a bit of work!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Hello all,

Was wondering what is the difference in feel between Pfadt lowering springs on stock struts vs Pfadt coil overs?

I will be upgrading this summer but wondering if I can expect the ride quality to be better on coil overs? The ride quality on the lowering springs isn't that bad, but it is still somewhat harsh going over bumps. Do the coilovers "feel" the same roughly?
The coilovers can feel as stiff or as soft as you need them to be. At full soft, the ride is really comfy, but floats a bit and you have to be careful if you are lowered too much or you might bottom out on (say) speed bumps.

At full stiff, it's a stiff ride, but your car will handle like it should (especially with Pfadt sway bars).

Plus the ride height adjustment is awesome. Whether you install yourself or get it done, I'd play with it a bit to see what you like. I found the car handles and brakes muchbetter with some rake (front lower than rear). Make sure to measure before so you know how much to lower at each corner.

Good Luck!
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
The great thing about coilovers is by replacing the factory strut with one of our own design we aren't limited by the capabilities of the factory struts. Like Avalnch touched on there is a wide range of adjustability that's available with the coilovers, so you will be able to tailor the ride quality to what ever it is you're doing.

If you're just daily driving the car you can expect the ride quality to actually increase over a drop spring package, depending on where you have your dampers set. Of course your track and aggressive street handling settings can be quickly changed so when you really want the car to perform it's an easy swap.

Most users will likely never swap springs with our coilovers, we selected spring rates that would be great for most users looking to improve handling and ride quality. For those folks who prefer a more aggressive ride or heavily tracking their cars we do have spring rates available that will get your Camaro performing the way you want it too.

If anyone has questions about our coilover products let us know! They're definitely my favorite product in our Camaro lineup.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
I went from Pfadt drop springs to their coil overs. All I can say is that it was one of the best mods I've done next to the Whipple. I autoX and drive in the canyons and they make the car feel so much better. Well worth it.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
I sent a client of mine this thread ( Darth Emma ), she in fact did just what you are doing. I will have her give you a good testimonial!

Best Regards
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Brandon is right. I did exactly that last spring. I switched from Pfadt spring to Pfadt coilovers.

I thought the Pfadt springs were a great upgrade from the stock springs. They lowered the center of gravity of the car and made it corner much better with much less body lean (I also had Pfadt sway bars and end links installed with the springs). I drove on the Pfadt springs for about a year.

This past April (2011), I decided that I wanted to try coilovers because I wanted the adjustability that comes with them. There are setting for street driving, drag racing, and road racing. There are also various setting for ride height.

You can set the "stiffness" (dampening) of the coilovers by turning a small ring on them. There are 20 clicks of dampening adjustment, so you can set how hard or soft the car rides. The dampening adjustment is very easy to make and you can adjust the ride depending on where/how you drive. Most of the time, I like the "sporty street" setting (which is right in the middle at a setting of 10). Look at the last page of this document to see how the dampening is adjusted: http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...stallation.pdf

You can also adjust the ride height. I have my car just a tad lower than it was with the springs. I really like the low stance. Adjusting ride height can also be done pretty easily, but you will need to have the car realigned if you change the ride height.

Here is a picture of my car on the coilovers.

So, it sounds like the coilovers will give you what you are looking for because you can set them for softer ride by going to lower dampening values. The down-side is that coilovers cost significantly more than springs. But, they are worth it to me.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
silverfox

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I will vouch for the greatness of the Pfadt coilovers. The adjustability is easy to use even without ramps. Add their swaybars and motormounts for a great package!
LS2 Darton sleeved 427 stroker.Callies dragonslayer crankshaft. Callies I beam rods. Wiseco blower pistons. Mast cnc 12 degree big bore ls3 heads-2.2 intake &1.6 ex. 6 bolt 270cc-.750 deck. Lunati link bar lifters.T&D roller rockers.COMP-VA. Speed special cam 605 lift, 238dur. Procharger F1R @15psi. ARH headers with custom 3'' exhaust all the way.Magnaflow mufflers. QTP cutouts.Rossler built 6l80e trans. DSS 1400hp axles.
Pfadt suspension.-Coilovers, sway bars,motor mounts,trailing arms. Aeromotive eliminater pump.
907rwhp.
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Brandon is right. I did exactly that last spring. I switched from Pfadt spring to Pfadt coilovers.

I thought the Pfadt springs were a great upgrade from the stock springs. They lowered the center of gravity of the car and made it corner much better with much less body lean (I also had Pfadt sway bars and end links installed with the springs). I drove on the Pfadt springs for about a year.

This past April (2011), I decided that I wanted to try coilovers because I wanted the adjustability that comes with them. There are setting for street driving, drag racing, and road racing. There are also various setting for ride height.

You can set the "stiffness" (dampening) of the coilovers by turning a small ring on them. There are 20 clicks of dampening adjustment, so you can set how hard or soft the car rides. The dampening adjustment is very easy to make and you can adjust the ride depending on where/how you drive. Most of the time, I like the "sporty street" setting (which is right in the middle at a setting of 10). Look at the last page of this document to see how the dampening is adjusted: http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...stallation.pdf

You can also adjust the ride height. I have my car just a tad lower than it was with the springs. I really like the low stance. Adjusting ride height can also be done pretty easily, but you will need to have the car realigned if you change the ride height.

Here is a picture of my car on the coilovers.

So, it sounds like the coilovers will give you what you are looking for because you can set them for softer ride by going to lower dampening values. The down-side is that coilovers cost significantly more than springs. But, they are worth it to me.
You're car is going to be a monster by the time Brandon and IPS finish up with it. Thanks for the review, glad you're still liking your coilovers. That stance is sweet!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
They work great and look like they mean business!