Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 11-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
Disable DRL's for HID Headlights

My new HID's in my 2012 1LS flicker with the DRL's on. Supposedly the DRL is sending a lower voltage to the headlights.

The only way I can prevent this now is to turn on the pakring lights before starting the engine.

I have read many posts, one saying that you can simply cut a DRL wire to disable them but it did not identify the wire.

I have already tried cutting the switch spring to disable automatic lights but the lights would still go into automatic mode sometimes and there were some other complications. I have since replaced the swicth assembly with a new one.

can I just cut a signal DRL wire or a tab off a relay somewhere so I dont have to worry about forgetting to turn the DRL's off manually and destroying my HID ballast??

Note: When I had the DRL's on and my HID's were flickering I also got am engine code and a reduced engine power mesage, plus all the traction control lights came on. As soon as I stopped using the DRL's all the codes went away. Why the hect are they making cars so complex where the headlights affect the engine & traction control.

thankyou so much
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

okay, I've gathered some intelligence on this from older posts

first I read this

"Hey non-RS folks, maybe I can offer some (hopefully useful) data: According to the service manuals, the non-RS headlamps have 3 pins for a reason. Pin "1" is the DRL/Lo-Beam input, Pin "3" is the Hi-Beam input, and Pin "2" is Ground.

The DRL/Lo-Beam input is driven by the BCM with PWM power. I *suspect* that when the light-sensor tells the BCM it is day, the PWM has a low duty cycle (less average power) to make the Lo-Beams dimmer. Nighttime the PWM would approach 100% duty cycle to maximize the power and light output. I *could* be all wet on this assumption, though.

There is a a relay (KR48), and 2 fuses (F55U, 56U) for the Hi-Beams. But, there is no direct fusing or relays for the DRLs/Lo-Beams. Maybe this will provide some fodder to the modding minds... ""

then I thought, "so how do we fool the BCM into thinking that it's always dark outside so the low voltage never occurs""

I kept reading and read this

"and unless I can figure out a way to disable those blasted DRLs, I'll have to keep that tape i put over the daylight sensor on the dashboard to prevent it from sending lower voltage to the lamps, making the BCM thinking it's always nighttime"

Genuis!!

so Far this is the best idea I've found and I'll probably end up going with it.

It would be great to solve this with a little tape and about 30 seconds of time!!.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

okay, so I tried the tape thing, 2 problems

1. now the dash lights including the radio are always dimmed, still readable but just lame.

2. the HID's still flicker breifly when you turn off the engine and it switches to exit lighting mode.

so this is not going to work,

I wonder if I cut the automatic mode wire behind the swicth, could that disable all this automatic crap and have no consequences? Ofcourse I dont have wire diagrams so I have no idea which of the 6 wires is the right one, i'd have to take my old switch back apart again and trace the circuits on the circuit board.

Why cant we get service manuals for these cars yet?? this is stupid.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 11-17-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

I guess I'm just going to have to turn the parking lights on every time before starting the engine, even at night, the HID's still flicker when I start the engine, so it will all have ot be done manually.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
What type of HID's are you using? I put GM RS headlights in my 2010 2SS non-RS car, using OttoBody adapter harness's. I've never noticed my lights flickering, but I'm always behind the wheel, so I'm not sure I would notice. Ofer(2SSRS) has an adapter harness on his website(http://gen5diy.com/) for GM lights that disables the DRL's and I think it moves them to the fogs like a factory RS car. If you're interested, send him a msg. I'm sure he can explain exactly how his harness works. If you do get an explaination from him, either forward it to me or post it on here, because I'd like to know also.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights w/Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, Gen5DIY LED Fog lamp Bulbs, Heritage Grille w/Retro SS Emblem, NLP Spoiler, Custom Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblem, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

well, i probably should have bought a relay type harness that connects directly to the battery and has it's own controller instead of the direct plug harness that I got. But who even knows if the relay harness controller would act funny with the half voltage for the DRL's as well.

I'll have to call TRS and find out and see if I can just order the relay harenss by itself.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
+1 for Ofer, if he doesn't have what you need he will make it.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
sjmautoprod

Drives: '10 1LT
We've also been playing around with a non-RS harness that moves the DRL function from the headlights to the DRL's.

sjmap.usinfo@sjmap.usGoogle+FacebookIRC Chat
Online ordering now available!
sjmautoprod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
You cant remove the PWM power signal out of the DRL, you have to cut the power in auto mod and to do that you need adapter harness and relays, then you need the relays to power up the headlights at night, i can help if you want a harness i can make you one.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

TRS said I can just buy the relay type harness and it will eliminate the flicker
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

alright, great news, I Got the correct type harness from TRS, The BiXenon Relay type harness that connects to the battery and has a ground for each light is the correct harness to use, I installed it and the headlights now work perfectly in DRL mode and there is no flicker.

It took me 2 months, hours and hours of research and installing, and about $120 straight down the drain on junk products and mis-speced purchases to finally get a good HID system working on this car.

So Hopefully this thread wil help people because I could not find 1 good thread on this topic on mutiple boards which caused me to go through all this BS.

Now on to the next project, hardwiring my new radar detector, this one should be easy.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 12-02-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
SILVER1
Camaro>

Drives: 2010 Silver Ice 1LT
CyberPunk could I see your setup? I also want to know what harness you got from TRS
Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #13
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER1 View Post
CyberPunk could I see your setup? I also want to know what harness you got from TRS
this is the only harness that will work correctly, it's called a Bi-xenon Relay Harness.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pdf...on_Harness.pdf

it's a direct fit, you can put it in with no modifications to your car or the harness.

BTW, I have these lights on my car since December and have had zero problems. and the car gets driven nearly everyday.

this is what you want to buy

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=12825

as far as I'm concerned, this is the best value out there

stay away from ebay, it's all junk.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
saxvyray

Drives: Woooh
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
You cant remove the PWM power signal out of the DRL, you have to cut the power in auto mod and to do that you need adapter harness and relays, then you need the relays to power up the headlights at night, i can help if you want a harness i can make you one.
I would like to have a harness like this for my LS, Can you PM me? Thank you
saxvyray is offline   Reply With Quote