Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
"Great Mind" Paper in school

So, in our writing class, we must 'nominate', and write a persuasive essay for a person we deem to be a great mind. We need to persuade the reader why the person is a great mind. What he did to earn himself that title.

I want to write it on someone I can actually talk about...not someone like Karl Marx ....

So, I'm thinking I want to do it on either Nicolai Tesla (basically the inventor of AC electricity, and our entire way of life) or........Bob Lutz (pretty much the smartest car company guy in the world - he did save both Chrysler and GM at one point). So who do you think I should write about? (any outside sugestions for people, would be welcome too)

Thanks guys!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
I wrote a paper like that once, and actually used the subject of electricity. I chose Michael Faraday instead. He had a very interesting life, kind of a rags to riches kind of thing. Definitely worth looking up.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
I think in terms of research material and finding scholar articles it will be much easier to find it with electricity and Nicolai Tesla versus Bob Lutz. I might be wrong, but thats just my guess.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Zora Duntov or Bill Mitchell or Harley Earl or Louis Chevrolet.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
For this, it would be better to have somone who isn't all that obvious. Perhaps Alexander Issigonis, the inventor of the Mini. Like it or not, most cars now follow his layout for cars

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
You need to write it on Uncle Bob!! Either way I would like to read it so make sure to post it.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham

I'll be sure to post it. Just have to see who I can grab more info on...
the trouble is, it can't be a "research paper"...but there's nobody I know well enough that qualifies as a 'great mind'...except maybe me
Old 11-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
Pencil.Fight

Well, if you want an A, you know what you have to do, right?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Yeah! Bribe the teacher!....I mean. Do a good...job.

but, wow...check this out, it doesn't give me enough info to write a good paper...and I think I'll have better luck having my nomination chosen if it's a 'historical' figure anyways...but:
"Maximum Bob's Biography"
Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Pencil.Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Yeah! Bribe the teacher!
Well, I was going to say "Nominate the teacher". What teacher wouldn't love being considered a "great mind" by one of their students?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

This guy....trust me....
Old 11-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #12
Pencil.Fight

His mind's not too great? Sorry to hear that, I've had my share of teachers like that, it sure doesn't make the class too much fun.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Try and picture a guy about in his early 60's....who used to be a cool, funny teacher...but dried up in that dept.

I feel bad for the guy, really...but, no - his minds not too great at all, and he wouldn't understand why I did my paper on him, anyways...lol

I asked him if he was teaching a certain class next sem. and he told me yeah, but go to another teacher, it'll be better for you...
Old 11-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
Pencil.Fight

Yeah, our educational system seems to do that to all the good teachers. It stifles their freedom and creativity to the point where they're just mindless teaching robots afraid to make a joke or do something different for fear of getting sued or fired.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham

hee, hee. Watch me!

I'm gonna be that really cool teacher...the one that nobody wants to have class end with.
In my auto classes, if they're good, I'm gonna drive in with a special "vehicle"...and wake up the teachers down the hall, if you know what I mean.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

But you are going to have to keep that special vehicle a surprise, which means no blabing on about it

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #17
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Bob lutz is a great mind but it's a lot easier to do the report on someone who STARTED a new concept. Tesla did just that, Baambatta did the same with hip hop. I'm not 100% sure but Houdini started the escapist acts. It's easier to tell what something was before and then how it changed after the introduction of the new idea. You have more information to use so you can beef it up and produce a better paper.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Greg Norris. nuff said
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #19
Mr. Wyndham

Okay, so I settled on Tesla. Sorry Mr. Lutz.
Anyways, this is the first, just-finished, hot-off-my-fingers, haven't-even-read-it-over-myself-yet version.

So please read (if you want to), and let me know what you think!

Quote:
The Brightest Mind: Nicola Tesla

Great minds don’t come about all that often, and especially lately. So much has already been invented or discovered that great minds have become the everyday people who maintain our complex ways of life. However, Nicola Tesla was a King among insects. It can be argued that he lit the world. That’s right, Thomas Edison, has nothing on this man. Nicola Tesla is the inventor of Alternating Current, most notably. This type of power allowed for electricity to be distributed farther from one power plant, than Edison could have ever imagined. Because of Nicola Tesla’s unmatched achievements in the electrical field, I believe he is an excellent nominee to become a Great Mind that Shaped our Intellectual World.

Nicola Tesla’s greatest work took place between 1881, and 1915. He was born on July 10th, 1856, in what was at the time the Austo-Hungarian Empire. At first Tesla wanted to major in Mathematics, and physics. But the wonders of electricity won his heart, and he began to study that, instead. The start of his career was with a phone company in Budapest, where he worked as an electrical engineer. Eventually, he came to the United States in 1884, when he realized that people in Europe didn’t have much interest in his work. He also wanted to release the electrical power of Niagara Falls. His coming to the US was due, in part, to being hired by the Continental Edison Company in New York. They showed interest in his induction motor prototype.

Unfortunately, Tesla and Edison did not get along very well. They had vastly different opinions on how electrical current should be sent to people. This resulted in a battle of electricity. Edison stood solidly behind his original Direct Current, or DC method. This was wildly inefficient, but Edison already had an “empire” in place, ready to operate. Tesla theorized Alternating current, or AC current. This is what is currently powers all electrically-supplied homes around the World, due to its efficiency, and ability to travel over more than 2 miles. Both of which Direct Current couldn’t do well. After 2 miles, DC power lost much of its original strength after 2 miles, because it could not step-up to higher voltages for long-distance transmission. Direct Current, on the other hand, is sent first one way down a power line, then the other – switching direction every 60 seconds or so. This minimizes power loss, and allows the energy to be amplified to very high voltages. Ultimately, Tesla and George Westinghouse (who bought the patents on Tesla’s technology) won, which is why we all have Alternating current in our homes.

Tesla also invented many other electrically based things. The fluorescent light, the laser beam, and X-rays are just a few of his many achievements. He succeeded in his attempts to harness Niagara Falls. In 1895, the first hydroelectric power plant was designed for the Falls. Why don’t we hear much about Tesla? Tesla is widely unknown because Thomas Edison’s name came first. He started the company that is credited with the invention of hundreds of items, most notably the light bulb.

Nicola Tesla’s name is starting to be recognized, though. A major upcoming electric car manufacturer is named after him. Tesla Motors, is responsibly for the widely acclaimed Tesla Roadster. A purely electric sports car with credentials to rival the Ferrari’s of the world. 0 to 60 mph comes in less than 4 seconds and the battery pack hold over 250 miles in one charge. When people think electric car, this is the last sort of thing that pops in their mind. Soon enough, this hopeful American company will begin producing more electric vehicles, including a family car; soon enough, Nicola Tesla’s name will be on every one of those cars.

Tesla’s most important achievement of Nicola Tesla, perhaps, was the concept of Wireless transmission of electricity. This was tried, and proven by only Tesla himself. At his research facility in Colorado Springs, he managed to light 200 lamps without any wires at all. This is really amazing, because that sort of transmission would eliminate all extension cords, expensive wiring of houses, and ugly electric poles on the side of the street. He constructed a tower, at the Colorado Springs Location which would be meant to send wireless power anywhere on the planet.

Why isn’t this technology available today, you might ask? Well, first of all, Tesla’s funding was cut for the project. J.P. Morgan funded him, but when Morgan and Tesla disagreed on the use of the Tower, Morgan pulled out, saying, “If anyone can draw on the power, where do we put the meter?" So the tower was destroyed, (and it is said that Tesla worked on all of this in his head alone; that he never wrote anything down, because he feared his ideas would be stolen) and when Tesla died, so did all the knowledge he owned about this technology. However, Scientists are working on this again. In fact, researchers at MIT successfully managed to mimic Tesla’s idea on a much smaller scale. They were able to wirelessly light a 60-watt bulb from almost 7 feet away.

There is no contending that Nicola Tesla’s inventions have had a tremendous impact on our life, as we know it. His AC electricity is now the standard power for homes, and businesses around the world. Without AC, a person would have to live within 2 miles of an electric power plant to access the Direct Current from the plant. Coupled with his other inventions, our world would be dramatically different if it wasn’t for Tesla. Also, his theories, and experiments with wireless transmission of electricity has interested, and inspired countless scientists and inventors to mimic Tesla’s lost Legend. Due to all of these inventions, and their impact on our world, Nicola Tesla is a perfect nominee to be included in the Great Minds that shaped our Intellectual World list.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #20
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Its nice, you in college? & if so what grade? I'm a senior in high school but my English course is a Duel Credit class so I get a credit for high school and college. We have to write SAT papers daily but rarely a persuasive writing. Can't wait for next year, most likely I'm going to UT (GO LONGHORNS).

If I could take a guess by your paper.. I would say your a senior in high school or a college freshman? ;O

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham

Freshman in college....why, was it that bad?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #22
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
no no, its great. I guessed right. ;p I have high standards when it comes to writing reports and essays. Its very good :]

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:59 PM   #23
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
For this, it would be better to have somone who isn't all that obvious. Perhaps Alexander Issigonis, the inventor of the Mini. Like it or not, most cars now follow his layout for cars
yep, the mini was the first production car to successfully use the fwd back in 1953. My dad is a mini freak (owns a 1975). Whatever you do don't associate it with today's BMW mini. The original was a different car in a different world for a different population.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:04 PM   #24
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Freshman in college....why, was it that bad?
I remember those days...keep up the good work! I finished my undergrad last year and now I'm doing my masters in criminology. I wonder how many of us are students on this forum.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 PM   #25
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Overall pretty good. the details are accurate, to the best of my knowledge. One thing to change is to get rid of a bunch of those commas. Also a proof reading tip that I've heard of is to read each paragraph individually, starting with the last one and working up to the first. Odds are a bunch of things won't make sense

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum