Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Camaro Fest Discussions > 2012 Camaro5 Fest (III)

Old 06-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #766
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman 12 View Post
That's probably true, BUT some of us() need new rubber so there won't be much left over for a new helmet.
A SA2010 $149.00 helmet is not the cheapest available

A long time ago I was at the track. An older gentleman walked over and told me he I was looking good out there. Then he asked if he could see my helmet. It was a cheap motorcycle helmet. He looked it over and said something along the lines of -- Son, God gave you one brain so you should take better care of it than this.

It is all I could afford after getting my car ready.

You'll own a lot of cars in your lifetime. You'll spend a lot of money if you plan to track them. The driver is what makes a car go fast. Take good care of the driver. Buy the best helmet you can afford.

That is why we'll have a handful of SA2010 loaner helmets on hand. We plan to take good care of our drivers. If you plan to use a loaner helmet, please bring your own balaclava / helmet sock.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #767
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
We're going to have a ball folks!

Is Mrs. Synergy still running? I think I have her in the Autox thread.....
Yes
Old 06-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #768
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
Yes
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #769
Rickey
IOM4EVR

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT1/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I have never met a racer that was happy to know they had purchased the cheapest helmet available as they went spinning into a wall.
I was of the thought that there were cones set up, not walls. I have no desire to take any chance of running my baby into any wall.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #770
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey View Post
I was of the thought that there were cones set up, not walls. I have no desire to take any chance of running my baby into any wall.
Figure of speech brother. Come into a corner to fast, strut fails, or any number of things; X factor $hit, ya know?

I firmly believe you are 1000% safer on a track than the highway or in town any day of the week. However, there will always be risk when speed, gravity and weight are all in the equation. Bottom line is you could end up where you shouldn't be. When/If (I side on "if") you end up there you want the best protection available. We understand that not everyone can afford or desire to put a couple hundred bucks toward a helmet and use it two or three times in it's lifespan. Therefore there will be loaners at the track for your use. Just need to have a liner.

I don't want to remove anyone from the list and want more people to sign up. Just consider what's available for your use. If you decide ultimately not to run... , but I'll bet you'll grin ear to ear if you do!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #771
SparkyDL75
Brian Sparks

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/Grey
I bought an HJC CL-16 helmet. It is rated Snell M2010. It was $120 bucks at a local motorcycle shop.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/prds_cl16.htm
Suspension Pedders Pace Car Pkg w/ZL1 Upgrade; Pedders Upper & Lower Control Arm, Steering, & Differential Mount Bushings; Pedders SS Brake Lines; Pedders Dual Bearing Camber Plates; ZL1 Toe Link; Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads
Drivetrain Maggie2300(8psi-3.4pulley); CompCam; 85lb injectors; ZL1 fuel pump; ZR1 MAP; Centerforce DYAD Twin Disc clutch; Stainless Works LT headers; QTP Cutouts; Rotofab intake; RX catch can; Mike Norris tune 643rwhp 598 rwtq

SparkyDL75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #772
Rickey
IOM4EVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyDL75 View Post
I bought an HJC CL-16 helmet. It is rated Snell M2010. It was $120 bucks at a local motorcycle shop.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/prds_cl16.htm
You cannot use it for AC
Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #773
garcmol

Snell M2010 helmets are allowed. That's a change that took place about 2 months ago.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #774
Rickey
IOM4EVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Snell M2010 helmets are allowed. That's a change that took place about 2 months ago.
My bad, this whole helmet thing has me totally confused.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #775
JusticePete

Allow me to clarify. The group made a decision to allow Snell (motorcycle) helmets while I wasn't looking

Motorcycle helmets are tested differently than SA (motorsport) helmets. The type of impacts are different. Motorcycle helmets do not have flame retardant liners.

Almost every track allows drag racers to wear M helmets. That has to be one of the dumbest decisions I have seen. Your cage must meet strict standards complete with inspection yet your helmet does not need to be designed for contact with cage? You must have a fire extinguisher, external disconnect... but your helmet doesn't need a flame retardant liner The SCCA allows M helmets for autocross because they are $25 cheaper than a SA2010 Snell?

It makes absolutely no sense to me. Autocross and Drag Racing are MOTORSPORTS. You should wear a motorsport helmet. Period. End of story. See how flexible I am Camaro5 and Pedders are two entities that believe in doing things right. I was prepared to take a hard line on this to coax our drivers into the right decision about a new helmet. The group felt we should be more flexible, we are and I support the decision with a little kicking and screaming along the way

While we will allow M helmets, we will also have a handful of loaner SA2010 helmets. If you would like to use a loaner helmet please bring a head sock / balaclava. These keep the helmet fresh for the next person. They are dirt cheap http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch on the other hand they are not made of a fire retardant material. Those are a bit more expensive. http://pitstopusa.com/i-5080754-crow...head-sock.html

SNELL TESTING

SA Testing E4.3 Test Impacts

Test impact sites shall be on or above the test line. Rivets, vents and any other helmet feature within this region shall be valid test sites. Each impact site will be subjected to a group of one or two impacts according to the anvil selected for that site.

The impact site for the first impact within in a group is the target for the successive impacts in the same group. However, if an impact group is sited closer than 120 mm to any previous impact group, that later impact shall be declared invalid.

There is no restriction regarding test anvil selection. The impact velocities for each test impact depend on the type of test and on the head form designation. Second impacts do not apply to helmets in tests against the edge anvil.

The technician may select either the largest or smallest appropriate head form for any particular group of impacts. In all cases the technician may impact any site on the helmet surface on or within the test lines as drawn for any of the head forms considered appropriate for that helmet.

a. Each site tested against the flat anvil shall be tested in two impacts according to the values in the impact velocity table adjusted for the mass of the head form assembly. No site shall be subject to the third impact for this anvil.

b. Each site tested against the hemispherical anvil shall be tested in two impacts according to the values in the impact velocity table adjusted for the mass of the head form assembly. No site shall be subject to the third impact for this anvil.

c. Each site tested against the edge anvil shall be tested in a single impact according to the values in the impact velocity table adjusted for the mass of the head form assembly. No site shall be subjected to the second or third impact for this anvil.

d. Each site tested against the roll bar anvil shall be tested in three impacts impact according to the values in the impact velocity table adjusted for the mass of the head form assembly.

e. If the impact velocity for any test impact exceeds the specified mass adjusted velocity by more than 1.5%, that impact shall be declared invalid.

Please Note: The impacts described above are based on specific velocities and not prescribed drop heights. To attain the proper velocity for an impact, it is likely that the drop height will need to be adjusted to compensate for frictions inherent in most mechanical helmet testing systems. Height adjustments for these frictions should not account for more than 10% of the total drop height. Also, the 1.5% margin allowed for impact velocity reflects the uncertainties expected even for well maintained drop equipment. It is expected that drop heights will always be selected to produce, as closely as possible, the precise impact velocity as called out in the standards and adjusted for head form assembly drop mass..

M2010 E4.3 Test Impacts

Test impact sites shall be on or above the test line. Rivets, vents and any other helmet feature within this region shall be valid test sites. Each impact site will be subjected to a group of one or two impacts according to the anvil selected for that site.

The impact site for the first impact within in a group is the target for the successive impacts in the same group. However, if an impact group is sited closer than 120 mm to any previous impact group, that later impact shall be declared invalid.

There is no restriction regarding test anvil selection. The impact velocities for each test impact depend on the type of test and on the head form designation. Second impacts do not apply to helmets in tests against the edge anvil.

The technician may select either the largest or smallest appropriate head form for any particular group of impacts. In all cases the technician may impact any site on the helmet surface on or within the test lines as drawn for any of the head forms considered appropriate for that helmet.

a. Each site tested against the flat anvil shall be tested according to the values in the impact velocity table adjusted for the mass of the head form assembly.

b. Each site tested against the hemispherical anvil shall be tested according to the values in the impact velocity table adjusted for the mass of the head form assembly.

c. Each site tested against the edge anvil shall be tested according to the values in the impact velocity table adjusted for the mass of the head form assembly. No helmet shall be subjected to the second impact for this anvil.

d. If the impact velocity for any test impact exceeds the specified mass adjusted velocity by more than 1.5%, that impact shall be declared invalid.

Please Note: The impacts described above are based on specific velocities and not prescribed drop heights. To attain the proper velocity for an impact, it is likely that the drop height will need to be adjusted to compensate for frictions inherent in most mechanical helmet testing systems. Height adjustments for these frictions should not account for more than 10% of the total drop height. Also, the 1.5% margin allowed for impact velocity reflects the uncertainties expected even for well maintained drop equipment. It is expected that drop heights will always be selected to produce, as closely as possible, the precise impact velocity as called out in the standards and adjusted for head form assembly drop mass..

There are other differences of significance between the helmets and you can read about them in detail here http://www.smf.org/stds For those that don't know me I am a driven and particular person. Ask some of my friends here on Camaro5 about the lectures they get over things like brake fluid and helmets They must really love me to put up with me

In the end, it isn't a helmet. It is a special container protecting everything that you are or ever will be and all that your friends and family love about you.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #776
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I've gotten the lecture first hand....lol. And believe me, I can totally understand and appreciate the reasons behind having a good helmet. The thought of an interior fire catching the inner liner of a helmet on fire never occurred to me.

Yep. I have a MC helmet... And it makes perfect sense that MC riders are thrown from bikes....thus, no fire....thus, no need for fire retardant materials.

Like I was sayin'.... time to invest in something a bit nicer that I'll use for years to come. Now...what to do with that MC helmet...?
Quote:
I have never met a racer that was happy to know they had purchased the cheapest helmet available as they went spinning into a wall.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #777
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey View Post
My bad, this whole helmet thing has me totally confused.
No worries! I was told the M rated helmets were going to be allowed and that conversation went something like this, "Are you sure? Are you really really sure? Pete's going to have my head if I post that! Are you sure? Surely you sure about this, for sure?"
Old 07-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #778
JusticePete

So both M and SA helmets are acceptable.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #779
driser

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I should be listed in the modified division.

Thanks,
driser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #780
JusticePete

Camaro5FEST III Super Sale Starts Now!!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #781
chevyluv7
chevyluv7

Drives: 95 Tahoe, 10 2SS/RS Camaro
If you still need volunteers I'd like to volunteer Friday AM. You can also list me under modified with cai and catback exhaust. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #782
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Wow!

I have no idea which package would be right for me.............where do I start?

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote