Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
Chrispy
11.91 ET Bone stock

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Walked around and sat in a sixth gen today

I took my SRX in for service today and they had a nice black 2SS six speed with red seats and a base 2L Turbo also black

Here are my thoughts:
  • Car looks way better in person than in pictures. The thing I find most odd is the door sill sweep...it flares to the front of the car and not the back. It would look meaner/better flared to the back imo
  • The car feels 3/4's size compared to my ZL1. Back seats are useless even for young kids
  • Interior materials are very nice, design looks interesting and the HVAC controls are great. Seats are not as nice as the Recaros but definitely nice for a factory base seat. Very soft on the bottom of the seat though
  • Driving position, height of arm rest on the door, storage compartment is all perfect. Will be a great car for lapping
  • The trunk opening is very small, as in tiny...It's deep though
  • The 2SS didn't have a sunroof. There was a lot of headroom. (I'm almost six foot one)
Overall the car is very nice but I would not even remotely consider getting rid of my ZL1 for one. If I had a standard SS I would seriously consider trading up though.

One final note (I'm in Canada) The loaded 2SS listed for over 56K! That's a lot of coin...

Cheers,
Chris
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
jayno20
ZL1

Drives: '14 Red Hot ZL1 #1503
I have looked at only one 16 2SS and I was underwhelmed. I like the direction GM is going with better materials for the interior, but the car just doesn't feel right to me...

First, it doesn't seem any smaller to me than my ZL1. I can tell from looking from the outside it isn't as wide, but it doesn't feel any smaller inside, or look any smaller (other than width) outside. The seats are nice for NON recaro's but the recaro seats have really spoiled me. The car looks like it sits wayyy too high off the ground, it would definitely need some lowering springs to look a little more aggressive.

Overall, coming from a ZL1 I wouldn't even consider a 2SS. I am anxious to see what the higher end models bring though.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:46 PM   #3
teddywetts

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro, 2015 Silverado 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
I have looked at only one 16 2SS and I was underwhelmed. I like the direction GM is going with better materials for the interior, but the car just doesn't feel right to me...

First, it doesn't seem any smaller to me than my ZL1. I can tell from looking from the outside it isn't as wide, but it doesn't feel any smaller inside, or look any smaller (other than width) outside. The seats are nice for NON recaro's but the recaro seats have really spoiled me. The car looks like it sits wayyy too high off the ground, it would definitely need some lowering springs to look a little more aggressive.

Overall, coming from a ZL1 I wouldn't even consider a 2SS. I am anxious to see what the higher end models bring though.
I liked your point about how high it sits. I noticed that from across the parking lot. I did, however, think it looked much smaller. I was impressed with my test drive, but its nothing compared to a ZL1. I don't care what you tell me the 0-60 time is. In the power department we are miles apart. Im pissed that they took away the halo rings, I miss the gills on the side, and I haven't seen a cool set of rims yet. Im expecting Chevy to pull out some cooler models as the generation progresses. I don't really expect to see a 650+ hp model from this car. It just seems to small to have/need it. I could be wrong though, and if they do make a monster 6th gen version I would love to see how they plan to put the power to the wheels. We shall see.
teddywetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:00 AM   #4
jayno20
ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddywetts View Post
I liked your point about how high it sits. I noticed that from across the parking lot. I did, however, think it looked much smaller. I was impressed with my test drive, but its nothing compared to a ZL1. I don't care what you tell me the 0-60 time is. In the power department we are miles apart. Im pissed that they took away the halo rings, I miss the gills on the side, and I haven't seen a cool set of rims yet. Im expecting Chevy to pull out some cooler models as the generation progresses. I don't really expect to see a 650+ hp model from this car. It just seems to small to have/need it. I could be wrong though, and if they do make a monster 6th gen version I would love to see how they plan to put the power to the wheels. We shall see.

I don't understand how anyone could think it looks "much smaller" the actual dimensions are LITERALLY 2 inches apart. The car is 2 inches smaller... that is BARELY noticeable.

The 16 SS is 188.3 in and the 15 ZL1 is 190.6 in. I just can't see a difference when looking at them.

The best thing they did with the new Camaro is made it lighter. The size difference was completely unnoticeable for me.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
I don't understand how anyone could think it looks "much smaller" the actual dimensions are LITERALLY 2 inches apart. The car is 2 inches smaller... that is BARELY noticeable.

The 16 SS is 188.3 in and the 15 ZL1 is 190.6 in. I just can't see a difference when looking at them.

The best thing they did with the new Camaro is made it lighter. The size difference was completely unnoticeable for me.
I can tell it's smaller just by looking at the ext and int....

Had a chance to walk around one yesterday. The rear seats are ridiculous...

They sit much higher than our 5th Gens and the headroom in the back in non-existent. The 2SS sound ok but the engine sounds like it's at a higher RPM and higher exhaust note than our ZL1's run at. Just my first impressions...
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Reservoir kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 5% overdrive Pulley, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Dash-Logic controller, 3m Clear Bra, ZL1 Mirror inserts, GM Interior Ambient lighting, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, Carbon Fiber Bow ties front & rear, ZL1 DRL lighting harness.

Last edited by KaBoom1701; 02-01-2016 at 10:22 AM.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
I think it looks much smaller because of the "euro" curve design. Ours are big, bold and in your face and the new '16 is all about curves and being sleek. As far as, "will the new ZL1 have 650-700 hp?" I coorolate this to the days of the cold war... The soviet union built a ship with 10,000 guns on the deck to look like the ultimate death machine then you'd see an American warship displaying 1 maybe 2 guns... It's called technology... Our ships would smoke theirs instantly... That's the route I think GM's sticking with and I think some people just want "bragging numbers"... IMO

Last edited by nvydvr; 01-30-2016 at 11:40 AM.
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '14 Camaro ZL1 automatic
Yes the 6th. gen Camaro SS looks smaller outside and inside, the rear looks boring, sides OK, front looks OK, the plastic vents on hood in person look cheap. It went toward the direction of a Japanese sport car and lost the muscle car look, rear seat is useless (then a Stingray would be a much better option).
In other hand is very light, great suspension and shares the Stingray powertrain (reliability:?, compared with the trusted present ZL1 )
Would I replace my ZL1 for one? NO.
Would I replace one day my ZL1 for a Stingray? YES, it will be my next car.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #8
Chrispy
11.91 ET Bone stock

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
I can tell it's smaller just by looking at the ext and int....

Had a chance to walk around one yesterday. The rear seats are ridiculous...

The sit much higher than our 5th Gens and the headroom in the back in non-existent. The 2SS sound ok but the engine sounds like it's at a higher RPM and higher exhaust note than our ZL1's run at. Just my first impressions...
Yup and the difference inside is even more significant.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
jayno20
ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Yup and the difference inside is even more significant.
I don't really see a difference inside either as far as size go. This seems odd to me..
Old 01-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #10
Fraxum

Drives: 2003 Jetta. At least it's red.
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I will find out about the comparison as GM is buying back my ZL1. I will miss my ZL1 and the SC whine, but looking forward to a newer generation that is lighter. The ZL1, even though it handles like the track car it is, feels big. A very bad a@@ car on the whole.

The CA6 interior is a bit weird, but the materials are a nice step forward. The ZL1 interior has much better styling to me, but looks a little cheap.

I just wish Chevy would have built a car that is easier to see out of. You can get used to riding in a tank, but to me driving would be more enjoyable with better visibility. So that part of the comparison is a wash.

The new SS is about as fast as a ZL1 but I think will not have as much presence. Looking forward to the new car and missing the old one at the same time.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Sat in one at Barrett Jackson last week, seems kind of small. Like the size of the C5 better. Just my .02 worth, beautiful car.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #12
bpc

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1
I purchased my new ZL1 Just this past Dec 20th 2015 out of Calgary I live in Ontario Canada for less than a fully loaded 2016 2SS, GM had a 20% off special and took advantage.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #13
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
I don't really see a difference inside either as far as size go. This seems odd to me..
I sat in a 2016 at a local auto show this weekend, and thought that the new interior is not as small as others have reported.
1996 Chevrolet Impala SS - LT4 396, T56, bagged
E. Bryant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #14
jayno20
ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Bryant View Post
I sat in a 2016 at a local auto show this weekend, and thought that the new interior is not as small as others have reported.
I guess it's just me and you then lol. I really didn't feel a huge difference. If anything a tiny bit smaller but damn near unnoticeable.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #15
White_Camaro

Drives: Summit White SS camaro
I like the interior because its updated and all but the cabin is noticeably smaller. I think people coming from a 5th gen will notice it more. If i had the choice and the money i would rather go for the 5th gen ZL1 than a new 6th gen. The looks and feel of the 5th gen appeals to me more.
White_Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #16
split

Drives: 14 ZLONE
i compare the 2 this way. The 5th gen looks like a modern muscle car evolution of the 60's original. The 6th gen looks like it could be a stand alone car to me. Like a new camaro with no ties to the evolution of the original car eg the 5th gen. Heck a couple changes to the front and they could call it a malibu, impala or something.

Don't get me wrong its a nice looking car, i just like the evolutionary look to the 5th gen.
split is offline   Reply With Quote