Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 09-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
GenF-GTS

Drives: none
Nitrous ZL1

I've been looking around but can't seem to find anyone on here running nitrous.

So who is running it, how much?
Why aren't more people running it?

Res100 the most powerful Testosterone Booster
GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I had a nitrous system on my car. I haven't got it swapped over to the new Heartbeat blower and I haven't decided for sure or not if I will need it.

I had the Lingenfelter controller and a 2 stage dry system with one nozzle behind the throttle body and a spray bar in the supercharger lid. 100 shot in the first stage and 250 shot in the second stage. Made 837whp on the motor and 1203 on the bottle.

I think most people that own a ZL1 don't think they really need it and it can be a little dangerous when you spray a lot of it.
ADM - 434 ERL superdeck block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 3.23 rear diff. LPE pulley upgrades, IDE1200's. ADM 2000hp fuel system, ADM trunk mount intercooler reservoir, Ron Davis heat ex, and radiator, LPE oil cooler, rear subframe bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock kit, braided brake and clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. New dyno numbers pending after turbo install.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
GenF-GTS

Is the risk that when the supercharger compresses air if you have a throttle body set up that it can compress the nitrous/fuel mix inside the SC and ignite if running a wet set up?

Old 09-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
Is the risk that when the supercharger compresses air if you have a throttle body set up that it can compress the nitrous/fuel mix inside the SC and ignite if running a wet set up?
No, after all of the stuff I have seen run through a blower at the texas mile I wouldn't worry about that. It is dangerous because the combustion temps are so crazy high and if the air fuel mixture is not perfect it can destroy your motor. I was not careful and burned a piston. Careful is seldom a word that people use to describe me though. If you test the limits you can find them... I needed to buy new pistons and overhaul the motor because of nitrous.
ADM - 434 ERL superdeck block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 3.23 rear diff. LPE pulley upgrades, IDE1200's. ADM 2000hp fuel system, ADM trunk mount intercooler reservoir, Ron Davis heat ex, and radiator, LPE oil cooler, rear subframe bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock kit, braided brake and clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. New dyno numbers pending after turbo install.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
GenF-GTS

So a wet shot would have been much safer Jess?
And a 150 shot is also playing safe?

To me it sounds like a great mod it's not a 150 peak hp gain it's all of the rpm range

Old 09-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
So a wet shot would have been much safer Jess?
And a 150 shot is also playing safe?

To me it sounds like a great mod it's not a 150 peak hp gain it's all of the rpm range
I don't think the wet shot is any safer than a good dry system. The Lingenfelter controller is very good and it does not spray any nitrous without ramping up the stock injectors accordingly. It has a ton of functions and monitors bottle temps and everything so it can automatically keep everything balanced. I never had any problem with AFR's using the Lingenfelter controller, it always ran a little rich on nitrous just exactly how we programed it. If you go to the Lingenfelter web site you can download the manual for their controller and it is crazy what it can do. Really, if you are only giving it a 150 shot, I don't think you will ever have a problem. Wet systems are less expensive and simpler.

I suspect the problem I experienced was related to the engine rpm I triggered at. I armed my system to get the bottle warmers going and accidently got enough throttle position to trigger it in 6th gear at about 2300 rpm. The faster your engine is spinning when you trigger, the faster the combustion gasses are expelled. If you trigger in low gears the engine revs like in neutral so no problem. Triggering in 6th gear at low rpm just had too much hot combustion gas in contact with the piston too long and one piston burned. Lesson learned.... you have to be very cautious with almost a 400 shot of nitrous...it can be dangerous. I will tell you though, there is no difficulty feeling the extra 370 horses getting unleashed....if you are a speed junky like me it is a hell of a rush.

I really think that sooner or later (probably sooner) I will have the nitrous nozzles put back in the new supercharger lid and snout. Everything else is still in place in the car. With the Lingenfelter system I can tell it exactly when to trigger and how much, and I will be more conservative. At least until I feel that my car is not fast enough....

The nitrous has a nice cooling effect on IAT2 as a byproduct. It is injected as a liquid and the boiling point of liquid nitrous is -127F. When datalogging at the mile IAT2 would be climbing like crazy and the nitrous would come on and show an instant 10 degree temp drop, then the IAT2 would continue to climb but much more slowly than when I was not spraying nitrous. IAT2 would start around 70 with ice in my intercooler reservoir and while spraying nitrous at 1200whp max IAT2 was around 110 in the mile. It really helps to cool the intake charge.
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #7
slowbra1

Drives: 2012 GT500
Brutal power

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I had a nitrous system on my car. I haven't got it swapped over to the new Heartbeat blower and I haven't decided for sure or not if I will need it.

I had the Lingenfelter controller and a 2 stage dry system with one nozzle behind the throttle body and a spray bar in the supercharger lid. 100 shot in the first stage and 250 shot in the second stage. Made 837whp on the motor and 1203 on the bottle.

I think most people that own a ZL1 don't think they really need it and it can be a little dangerous when you spray a lot of it.
That is wicked power.