Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

G5 Carbon
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 01-15-2015, 01:14 AM   #1
erke0034

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1 M6
When do you say tires are warm enough for maximum grip

Hello everyone. What is your reference point for sticky tires. When do you say tires are warm enough for maximum grip.
after xx psi increase in tire pressure while driving? xx minutes of spirited driving? burnout?
erke0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:02 AM   #2
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
I'm interested in the answer also.
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:11 AM   #3
1KillerSS
Too Much is never enough!

Drives: Almost an AGP TT SS
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Old 01-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
just bake em up. I don't seriously think anyone has every taken a temperature of them. weather/road conditions are going to always constantly change so there is no set numbers. bake em up and drive accordingly.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
370zyzfr1

Drives: 2014 Camaro Zl1 Tripple Black!
I think I read 40 degrees and up. The problem isn't just with traction it's with cracking as well. I know someone here in town who drove his in cold weather and blew out tire on his zl1. He had just checked air that morning.
370zyzfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Blue E39 Touring
I have a laser thermometer for track days. I learned to take inside shoulder, center, and outside shoulder temps to dial in camber to the specific track.

The answer of when you get the best grip requires you to do a good, grippy lap and then pull off and measure. The answer differs from tire-to-tire, though (different compounds require more/less heat for absolute best grip), so your question lacks some information. In my opinion. Which is only that.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
This is a loaded question and I assume you are specificaly talking about the stock goodyear tires. I think if you could graph the grip vs. rubber temperature you would find that it is more like a peak than a plateau. The grip continues to increase right up to the point the rubber gets molten and sloughs off. It is much easier to keep the tires on the performance edge on a 90 degree day than a 60 degree day. I have found it impossible on a 40 degree day... even drifting every corner the fronts don't get hot enough to prevent oversteer.
ADM - 434 ERL block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. LPE pulley upgrades, 1400 injectors. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. 1436 rwhp.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
About 140-150
Old 01-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
erke0034

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
This is a loaded question and I assume you are specificaly talking about the stock goodyear tires. I think if you could graph the grip vs. rubber temperature you would find that it is more like a peak than a plateau. The grip continues to increase right up to the point the rubber gets molten and sloughs off. It is much easier to keep the tires on the performance edge on a 90 degree day than a 60 degree day. I have found it impossible on a 40 degree day... even drifting every corner the fronts don't get hot enough to prevent oversteer.
Yes, I am talking about stock GY's. My car is my DD, I've attended only 4 track days last summer. At the track I was at beginner class, I was not driving at the limits. As a DD car, I am assuming that 2-3 psi increase in tire pressure is enough for a good grip. Until that point I drive easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370zyzfr1 View Post
I think I read 40 degrees and up. The problem isn't just with traction it's with cracking as well. I know someone here in town who drove his in cold weather and blew out tire on his zl1. He had just checked air that morning..
I think cracking is a different story. I am not driving if it is below 40.
erke0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
JamesZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 1996 C4 Corvette
I never found that the Stock GY's were any good, maybe I was over driving the tires..
Roto-Fab CAI, Texas Speed Headers, Texas Speed X-Pipe, Texas Speed LS3-B Blower Cam, Metco 9.55" Crank Pulley, Metco 2.5 Upper Pulley, ID 850 Injectors, Kenne Bell BAP ???HP / ??? Torque (Needing new Dyno run)
JamesZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote