Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 02-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
MIZ-ARO

Drives: 2012 Z71 Colorado
Those of you with the "2nd Gear Grind"

Anyone had any true resolution to this?

I am at 5500 miles on my car and ~ 2000 miles on the new transmission and it is grinding really bad again trying to go into 2nd about every other day now. I have talked to my dealer again and again about this and the Service Manager says they want to make it right, but then they say that it is a known issue with no fix.

It doesn't matter if I shift slow or quick, but it only happens when the car is cold (outside temp ~45 or below). It does seem that it takes a little more force to put it into any gear on the days it grinds, so that is my indication that I should get ready for that godawful and embarrassing sound. Not to mention the damage that is being done to the transmission when it grinds.

Please share your thoughts and experiences with getting this resolved...
**GM Buyback** 2012 2SS/RS Convertible Hurst M6 Black/IOM/Orange Stripes #838
MIZ-ARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
+1. Please do share, I'm having the same issue - not as much grinding, but it's there.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
DRG BSTN SQUIRREL

Drives: 2011 camaro 2 SS
Reveiw the threads I have put up, most say something with TR6060.
DRG BSTN SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Have you tried switching to AMSOL synthetic fluids? I read somewhere that this helps.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
bn1651

Drives: 2SS/RS ,6sp
The easy way to think of it is as a synchro clutching issue. The transmission has rings in it that act as clutch plates which synchronize your gear before you shift. The issue is the rings that support the 1 -2 shift as slightly to small as they come from the factory. This means when the transmission is cold the rings don't grip enough and therefore your next next gear is not up to speed, thus the grind. Once your transmission warms up, the rings expand, allowing them to grip properly/synchronize your shift and therefore no grind. The solution that GM has come up with is replacement rings, I believe they switch to brass rings with carbon pads which are larger to reduce the possibility of slippage. If your dealer looks in there parts computer they will notice the rings have a different part number now. Your other option is to send your tranny to an outside company that will fix the rings and improve the overall performance. RPM and TICK are two companies that do just that.
bn1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

bn1651, thanks for the very helpful info. It won't be until it comes out of hibernation in a couple of months - perhaps there will be a TSB by then, but I doubt it. The different part numbers may help get my point across.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
IDEALG
"Chevy" rumbles best

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Honestly i think we need to realize that these trannys have a major design flaw and no one wants to assume responsibility. Rpm transmissions claim they have the cure and that their trannies shift like butter. I would love to put their trans to the test but i cant afford their high price $$$$$ and i do believe its their stage 6 trans with all the goodies that is the butter shifter. Im totally discussed with this tr6060 never had any problems like this with any other trans ever.
IDEALG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
Run and Gun

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS , 1966 GTO
I got 6k miles on mine and it grinds when cold out also unless I shift real slooooowwww. Once the trans warms up it fine.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #9
MIZ-ARO

My feeling, and I don't think I am being unreasonable, is that I spent $43K on a car that has a flaw in the transmission and it needs to be fixed. I honestly have no desire or extra cash to upgrade a brand new transmission on a daily driver so it will work the way it should in the first place.

bn1651: Great info. But wouldn't a new transmission manufactured late 2011 have these updated rings? Just spit balling here...
Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Carbon Blocking Rings

My 2011 was built 02-01-2011 and had a carbon blocking ring for 2nd gear so I feel sure your 2012 also does. I just picked my trans (3500 miles) up yesterday from Rick at T&T Performance after having it upgraded for the 2nd gear grind issue. It seems the problem is a little more complicated than replacing just the blocking rings. This is why some cars still grind that have carbon blocking rings from the factory, upgraded by the dealer or even in a new trans from the dealer. I am told the combination of the non-carbon blocking ring, the design of the 2nd gear synchronizer and the tolerances and preloads used during the assembly of the trans may all be contributing to the grinding. The problem is that you can't directly observe what's causing the grind inside the trans. The best anyone can do is make an educated guess based on experience and indirect evidence such as damaged gears and synchros, then make changes or replace parts one at a time until the problem goes away. Through my own research I have found a GM document 10_TR6060_MM6_MZ6_MH3_MG9_M10_n.doc that mentions a newly designed 2nd gear synchronizer. This would explain why an earlier Corvette synchro mentioned on the second page of this thread along with the rest of the upgrades resolve the problem. As far as the tolerances and preloads mentioned above are concerned, TR6060s are manufactured in Mexico to save money and it has been my experience that you get what you pay for.

It doesn't seem Tremec is going to be of any help as evidenced by their response to TR6060 problems on their own forum. You can read about it here about half way down the page if you haven't already. I was glad to hear your dealer replaced your trans and at least tried to fix it. At this point my dealer and I have what you might call a love/hate relationship: I would love to punch someone every time I talk to them, but I would hate to go to jail. One last suggestion. Tell your dealer if they can't fix it and like your service manager said: "they want to make it right" to refund $2000 to you so you can have Rick fix it. Hope this info helps.

Way too many mods and way too much money. Wouldn't have it any other way.
toml_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
MIZ-ARO

Thanks for the info. I have read through those other threads and I must say, it is quite concerning.

I think my next step is going to be to write a formal letter to GM stating my issue and the lack of resolution. One more trip to the dealer for this will satisfy the requirements for Lemon Law in Missouri...
Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6
I have heard people had luck with number below.

GM Customer Service - 1-800-222-1020. Ask (insist if you have to) to be transferred to a call center in the USA. Have your VIN handy.

Way too many mods and way too much money. Wouldn't have it any other way.
toml_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
MIZ-ARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml_pa View Post
I have heard people had luck with number below.

GM Customer Service - 1-800-222-1020. Ask (insist if you have to) to be transferred to a call center in the USA. Have your VIN handy.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they are willing to do. Can't seem to get the dealer to get back to me for some reason. Hmmm
Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
MIZ-ARO

A Funny Thing Just Happened...

Got a call from the Service Manager and they want my car on Monday again to try and troubleshoot. He did say that he called the GM Techs again today about it and they said they are working on a fix, but nothing definite as of yet. We will see what comes of it. I'll keep you all apprised of the result. Trying to stay optimistic at this point...
Old 02-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Thanks, MIZ-ARO. Should have mentioned that I can shift my car without grinding, it's just that I want it to feel better - like it should.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
kaylew78

Drives: 2011 rs/ss ls3
what do you guys think about tick performances claim that the gm clutch master cylinder is the culprit of the 2nd gear grind? search the forums and read the whole thread and chime in when you can. if what they say is true i believe the first step for a fix would be an aftermarket adjustable master cylinder.
kaylew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
MIZ-ARO

Somewhat of an update...

Just got my car back from the dealer after being there all week. They brought in the GM Tech Rep and he drove it. Luckily it ground going into 2nd for him too. He knows all about this issue and they are going to give it one more shot after a rebuild and a new transmission.

The new course of action is to rebuild it with "aftermarket performance transmission parts" that they will order on Monday as the shop is closed today. Don't know the company or parts list right now, but I will get that when I drop her off again next week. I guess the Rep has had luck correcting this issue with these parts. Fingers are crossed...

I must say that as irritating as this is, my dealer really has gone above and beyond trying to get this issue resolved. I would recommend them to anyone!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZ-ARO View Post
I must say that as irritating as this is, my dealer really has gone above and beyond trying to get this issue resolved. I would recommend them to anyone!
This is one thing all bad dealers fail to realize. If you go above and beyond in customer service you'll have a customer for life and probably a lot more coming your way.
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
Nessal

Drives: Lotus Exige
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZ-ARO View Post
Just got my car back from the dealer after being there all week. They brought in the GM Tech Rep and he drove it. Luckily it ground going into 2nd for him too. He knows all about this issue and they are going to give it one more shot after a rebuild and a new transmission.

The new course of action is to rebuild it with "aftermarket performance transmission parts" that they will order on Monday as the shop is closed today. Don't know the company or parts list right now, but I will get that when I drop her off again next week. I guess the Rep has had luck correcting this issue with these parts. Fingers are crossed...

I'm actually really surprised that they are willing to install aftermarket parts to fit it.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
MIZ-ARO

As am I. I remain cautiously optimistic that this will be the end fix.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #22
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
I've had my 2012 2SS/RS M6 for almost two months now and have never had a grind, nothing but positive shifts.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #23
Nessal

Drives: Lotus Exige
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesserayjames View Post
I've had my 2012 2SS/RS M6 for almost two months now and have never had a grind, nothing but positive shifts.

Mine was good too.....until it starts grinding....
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #24
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toml_pa View Post
My 2011 was built 02-01-2011 and had a carbon blocking ring for 2nd gear so I feel sure your 2012 also does. I just picked my trans (3500 miles) up yesterday from Rick at T&T Performance after having it upgraded for the 2nd gear grind issue. It seems the problem is a little more complicated than replacing just the blocking rings. This is why some cars still grind that have carbon blocking rings from the factory, upgraded by the dealer or even in a new trans from the dealer. I am told the combination of the non-carbon blocking ring, the design of the 2nd gear synchronizer and the tolerances and preloads used during the assembly of the trans may all be contributing to the grinding. The problem is that you can't directly observe what's causing the grind inside the trans. The best anyone can do is make an educated guess based on experience and indirect evidence such as damaged gears and synchros, then make changes or replace parts one at a time until the problem goes away. Through my own research I have found a GM document Attachment 330789 that mentions a newly designed 2nd gear synchronizer. This would explain why an earlier Corvette synchro mentioned on the second page of this thread along with the rest of the upgrades resolve the problem. As far as the tolerances and preloads mentioned above are concerned, TR6060s are manufactured in Mexico to save money and it has been my experience that you get what you pay for.

It doesn't seem Tremec is going to be of any help as evidenced by their response to TR6060 problems on their own forum. You can read about it here about half way down the page if you haven't already. I was glad to hear your dealer replaced your trans and at least tried to fix it. At this point my dealer and I have what you might call a love/hate relationship: I would love to punch someone every time I talk to them, but I would hate to go to jail. One last suggestion. Tell your dealer if they can't fix it and like your service manager said: "they want to make it right" to refund $2000 to you so you can have Rick fix it. Hope this info helps.
which would you rather have? a tremec made in mexico,OR an aysin made in japan?.he! he! he! either way,i think i smell "bean counters" at work!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #25
clayton006

Drives: 2011 2SS Black M6
Just took my Camaro in today after they rebuilt the second gear pack completely with new carbon rings and so forth. Only 2100 miles on it, hopefully they fix it right, but not expecting much. Curious how this turns out with yours.
clayton006 is offline   Reply With Quote