Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
SS springs in a V6

Morning All,

I have an opportunity to get a set of stock SS springs that I'd like to install on my V6 and have a couple of questions, # 1 being my priority.

1- Will this drop my car at all, not looking for a major drop, just a bit.
2- Will I feel any handling or comfort changes?
3- Any reason not to do this?
4- Any other benifit to doing this
Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Curious of the answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
You should see a small change in ride height, but the spring rates are likely extremely similar. The difference in handling between the FE2 (V6) and FE3 (V8) packages make paying for used V8 parts pretty tricky. You will see a much larger performance increase with aftermarket components than moving from V6 to V8 parts.

That being said, if you get the parts for free or extremely cheap there is a tangable performance increase by moving from V6 to V8 springs and shocks. The real bang for your buck is definitely in the aftermarket though.

Take a look at the small difference between the FE2 and FE3 sway bar packages compared to the large difference with our sway bars. Spring rates and ride height changes should be similar small changes.

FRONT

REAR
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
You should see a small change in ride height, but the spring rates are likely extremely similar. The difference in handling between the FE2 (V6) and FE3 (V8) packages make paying for used V8 parts pretty tricky. You will see a much larger performance increase with aftermarket components than moving from V6 to V8 parts.

That being said, if you get the parts for free or extremely cheap there is a tangable performance increase by moving from V6 to V8 springs and shocks. The real bang for your buck is definitely in the aftermarket though.

Take a look at the small difference between the FE2 and FE3 sway bar packages compared to the large difference with our sway bars. Spring rates and ride height changes should be similar small changes.

FRONT

REAR
What he's sayin is:
Don't be cheap about it, do it right the first time, and not only will you be happier, but in the long run you will be saving money.

Please feel free to give us a call with any questions you may have.

Thanks
Mike Haddad
310-412-8032
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaddadMotorsports View Post
What he's sayin is:
Don't be cheap about it, do it right the first time, and not only will you be happier, but in the long run you will be saving money.
This.

If you end up with V8 parts for free theres no harm in swapping over, although you will end up needing an alignment afterwards which increases your costs. If given a choice between paying a little for OEM V8 parts or for Aftermarket pieces, I would absolutely choose aftermarket in a heartbeat.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Pfadt.. I put on pfadt front and rear bars on my V6 and eh..

But after I swapped to a FE3 suspension then I noticed a much bigger difference.

Nyrfan..

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199080
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Out4it
Banned

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Pfadt.. I put on pfadt front and rear bars on my V6 and eh..

But after I swapped to a FE3 suspension then I noticed a much bigger difference.

Nyrfan..

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199080
Is the ride any worse than stock with the FE3? Also,got a pic of how much it lowered it?
Out4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Morning All,

I have an opportunity to get a set of stock SS springs that I'd like to install on my V6 and have a couple of questions, # 1 being my priority.

1- Will this drop my car at all, not looking for a major drop, just a bit.
2- Will I feel any handling or comfort changes?
3- Any reason not to do this?
4- Any other benifit to doing this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out4it View Post
Is the ride any worse than stock with the FE3? Also,got a pic of how much it lowered it?
It will lower it approx. 1/2 inch. Its only really worth it if you get them dirt cheap like i did as it only handles somewhat better than it used to. Its not a night and day difference.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out4it View Post

Find a picture of a stock SS. That's how it looks. The ride is a little stiffer but no a big deal at all. You gain more with the handling.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Follow your heart, Rangers Fan!

Go with SS springs and struts/shocks though. Not sure if the damping in V6 shocks is up to the task. Check E-baymotors-SLP for like new take-offs. Shipping is steep, but they could drop'em out of a plane without damage the way SLP wraps'em up!

If you can do it yourself, its still a bargain, and you'd be doing an alignment with aftermarket parts too.

SS stuff is firmer, but not jarring. Rear springs are 1.25" shorter than V6's, but don't compress as readily. The back of my V6 sat down 3/4". Front just 1/8th inch. Now she rides level- not butt in the air.

Your sway bars do need some attention too. You can check my list of mods for my solution and I'm very pleased with the results!

Have fun!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Thanks guys for the advice! My spring are in route (thanks Stieger), now on the hunt for shocks/struts on ebay!!