Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
IDEALG
"Chevy" rumbles best

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Add these to your second gear grind

OK Nate (from Tremec) please explain that
IDEALG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
MIZ-ARO

Drives: 2012 Z71 Colorado
Exactly what mine is doing except I try not to force it through the grind, I just go to 3rd. Good find!
**GM Buyback** 2012 2SS/RS Convertible Hurst M6 Black/IOM/Orange Stripes #838
MIZ-ARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
IDEALG
"Chevy" rumbles best

yeah mine isnt as bad as those but mine does it around 4000 rpm and higher.
disappointing.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
MIZ-ARO

Drives: 2012 Z71 Colorado

And another... I shift between 2500 and 3000 and it still does it. That sound makes me cringe!
**GM Buyback** 2012 2SS/RS Convertible Hurst M6 Black/IOM/Orange Stripes #838
MIZ-ARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
IDEALG
"Chevy" rumbles best

yup the old mighty grind. :(
Old 02-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEALG View Post
http://youtu.be/6HGin3Asbl4

http://youtu.be/kRAyvtl3To0

OK Nate (from Tremec) please explain that
Nate needs to be renamed "Honey Badger".... cause he don't care:

"And if you own a TR-6060 factory equipped vehicle, you are not our customer"

End Quote

If you do hear from Tremec Nate, he'll blame it on the driver. .5% defect rate and he'll bet you $100 on that.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
IDEALG
"Chevy" rumbles best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Nate needs to be renamed "Honey Badger".... cause he don't care:

"And if you own a TR-6060 factory equipped vehicle, you are not our customer"

End Quote

If you do hear from Tremec Nate, he'll blame it on the driver. .5% defect rate and he'll bet you $100 on that.
you got that right!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
az'rail

Drives: the wife crazy
See the thing is this. Tremec is in this business to make money. Let's look at it this way. Let's say I go to good old Wally mart. I buy myself a nice pretty bike. Im out riding around having a good time and all of a sudden the right peddle snaps off. I'm faced with two options, either go to the store buy a new peddle and fix it myself or I take the bike back to Wally mart and get a new one. Most of us will take it back. I have my new bike and once again the right peddle snaps off again. As I'm walking (pissed at this point) back to Wally mart i notice snapped peddles scattered on the street. This is were the bike company makes money. For every one bike that is returned for a faulty peddle Wally mart has to buy a new one, and is stuck either with a bunch of broken bikes or sells them refurbished at a discount by buying the peddle that only that bike company makes. Either way the bike company (tremec) gets paid for every hunk of junk that goes out their door. So for some tremec lacky to post on a forum that we are not their customers is completely right...but we are the end users and we're the ones having to do all the leg work to get our cars fixed. I'm getting off my soap box now.
az'rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
...ummm OK? Ahhh huuhhh huhhh ahhhuuuhh
Attached Images

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
kaylew78

Drives: 2011 rs/ss ls3
The cause of the problem: the stock clutch master cylinder simply doesn't flow enough fluid to push the clutch slave cylinder far enough to fully disengage the clutch. This produces extreme heat inside the bellhousing, boiling the fluid inside the hydraulic system (thus introducing air) and causing a faded (or totally dead) clutch pedal. Other side effects include difficulty shifting at high RPMs, difficulty engaging 1st and Reverse while stopped, shortened clutch life and shortened transmission life. We've been seeing this exact issue for years in many applications.via joey at tick performance..search the forum and give feedback.
kaylew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Really strange....
Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Nessal

Drives: Lotus Exige
Quote:
Originally Posted by az'rail View Post
See the thing is this. Tremec is in this business to make money. Let's look at it this way. Let's say I go to good old Wally mart. I buy myself a nice pretty bike. Im out riding around having a good time and all of a sudden the right peddle snaps off. I'm faced with two options, either go to the store buy a new peddle and fix it myself or I take the bike back to Wally mart and get a new one. Most of us will take it back. I have my new bike and once again the right peddle snaps off again. As I'm walking (pissed at this point) back to Wally mart i notice snapped peddles scattered on the street. This is were the bike company makes money. For every one bike that is returned for a faulty peddle Wally mart has to buy a new one, and is stuck either with a bunch of broken bikes or sells them refurbished at a discount by buying the peddle that only that bike company makes. Either way the bike company (tremec) gets paid for every hunk of junk that goes out their door. So for some tremec lacky to post on a forum that we are not their customers is completely right...but we are the end users and we're the ones having to do all the leg work to get our cars fixed. I'm getting off my soap box now.

Except that Walmart has an agreement with their suppliers to get back 100% of any returns.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
az'rail

Drives: the wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Except that Walmart has an agreement with their suppliers to get back 100% of any returns.
Tremec will loose too much money if they adopted that type of agreement.
Not to mention that tremec will rather blame every one else instead of helping root the cause of the failures. What bugs me is if the transmission isn't the problem, then why is it that the problem spans other makes of cars? I have an M6 and I'm one of lucky ones that doesn't have a problem(shifts at any temp and any RPM). So why am I the lucky one? What makes my car so different from the other cars that have problems?

Last edited by az'rail; 02-03-2012 at 11:38 AM.
az'rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylew78 View Post
The cause of the problem: the stock clutch master cylinder simply doesn't flow enough fluid to push the clutch slave cylinder far enough to fully disengage the clutch. This produces extreme heat inside the bellhousing, boiling the fluid inside the hydraulic system (thus introducing air) and causing a faded (or totally dead) clutch pedal. Other side effects include difficulty shifting at high RPMs, difficulty engaging 1st and Reverse while stopped, shortened clutch life and shortened transmission life. We've been seeing this exact issue for years in many applications.via joey at tick performance..search the forum and give feedback.
This may very well be true but many of us have not experienced grinding with the Tremec 6spd in the SS cars. Is it possible there are some "weak" stock clutch master cylinders AND real 2nd gear syncro issues ??? In my own case I never had a problem either all stock OR since installing a remote clutch reservoir, installing a quality DOT4 fluid in the brakes and clutch system, properly bleeding the clutch hydraulic system and swapping the trans fluid to Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers & rotors, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, full rear cradle & diff bushings, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, ZL1 Brembo Brake pads, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp Cam valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR 5 timing chain, LS2 damper, CAI Cold Air Induction, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 wheels w/Vredestein 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, '11 Convertible spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
IDEALG
"Chevy" rumbles best

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
This may very well be true but many of us have not experienced grinding with the Tremec 6spd in the SS cars. Is it possible there are some "weak" stock clutch master cylinders AND real 2nd gear syncro issues ??? In my own case I never had a problem either all stock OR since installing a remote clutch reservoir, installing a quality DOT4 fluid in the brakes and clutch system, properly bleeding the clutch hydraulic system and swapping the trans fluid to Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

Ed M.

Glad to hear your not having any trouble, wish i could say the same.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #16
leisure

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylew78 View Post
The cause of the problem: the stock clutch master cylinder simply doesn't flow enough fluid to push the clutch slave cylinder far enough to fully disengage the clutch. This produces extreme heat inside the bellhousing, boiling the fluid inside the hydraulic system (thus introducing air) and causing a faded (or totally dead) clutch pedal. Other side effects include difficulty shifting at high RPMs, difficulty engaging 1st and Reverse w stopped, shortened clutch life and shortened transmission life. We've been seeing this exact issue for years in many applications.via joey at tick performance..search the forum and give feedback.
Thank you, Kaylew. I'm not a message board guru or mechanic...... this is exactly the type of info that i was looking for when i came online.

Ordered a 12 camaro. Less than 1500 miles. At the dealership at 1000 with the clutch grinding into 2nd - if it goes there. and i don't force it, but it always feels like its gonna go until the grind, as though i don't have the clutch engaged.

Where does your diagnostic come from (do you have a source, or simply experience)?

Thanks again, sir!
leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #17
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
In all of the videos posted I noticed all the engines were cold (oil temp not over 150 degrees) and the trans temps were also cold. I'm not excusing the bad 2nd gear synchros, but warming up first might reduce the grinding. The third video was grinding even at low RPM's, so I bet even fully warmed it would still grind.

On the positive side, these are the first videos I've seen of the 2nd gear grind, and I can happily say my M6 does not grind like this. My shifter just feels notchy, but doesn't make a noise even close to these, and actually shift better at high RPM.

But I still see a rebuilt TR6060 down the road...
Mods: Ridetech coilovers, prothane bushings, braided brake lines, Pfadt ZL1 style sways, Hawk ceramic pads, Spohn trailing arms, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, HF cats, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, MBRP rec tips, Cold Air Inductions black CAI, MGW short-throw shifter w/retro shift ball, Showstopper Engine Bling, Forgeline MD3P's 9.5 & 11", Conti DWS 275's & 315's. JDP harness and DRL's. Seibon carbon fiber GFX, Anvil carbon fiber rear spoiler. Oracle ghosted LED side marker lights.

Proud previous owner of: 1968 327 Camaro, 1972 Camaro SS 350, 1978 Z28, 1979 Z28. 2010 SS is My 5th Camaro
My 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
IDEALG
"Chevy" rumbles best

Well i had my trans replaced by the dealer i ground second once since it was replaced. so i decided to make my own cat back exhaust which is the $410 cat back exahust in the performance mods section anyway before doing that i took the trans back out and put my katech twin disc clutch kit back in and new white shift knob and also replaced the trans fluid with royal purple syncromax. then i made my exhaust system and took it out for a blast only letting the car run for about 5 minutes before going for a quick cruise and i wound out first gear and shifted into second with no issues at all. i did it several times and im pleased to say this thing shifts fine now. i love it. so did the royal purple help ? who knows but thats the only thing thats different then the last two trannys i had .
Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Is this 2nd gear grind only in the SS/Tremec manual trans?
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
No they don't.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote