Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Need help urgently

Today I noticed when I'm going over a speedbump my right side suspension is emitting a pop and I can actually feel it in the car. It happens (or I notice it) at low speeds and it's very unnerving.

I looked under the car to see if I could see anything and the right rear bracket that holds the endlink is sheared through like PQs was. The endlink is still in there, but it's definitely torn.

However, I'm not sure if I think think is the sole problem because it happens when both the front and back right tires go over.

I need this fixed ASAP, and the dealer will charge me $100/hr just to look because they know my suspension is modified. Do you guys have any ideas of things I could visully check with the car on the ground? Endlinks look fine, control arms look fine. All I could see was that bracket, but I'm no expert.

Is it dangerous to drive the car with that torn bracket? Unfortunately I work all weekend and kind of need a car. Where's the best place to get an upgraded bracket?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
what suspension mods do you have? Do you have aftermarket bushings? If so, did they time the bushings when they installed them?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The first thing you have to do is remove the endlink that has broken loose. If you don't remove it it can foul with other parts and make things worse.

Once the loose endlink is removed, you'll do no further damage driving around. With one link loose the sway bar is doing nothing.

The arms are not that expensive. Rear Lower Control Arms #20942237 Chevrolet MSRP $53 Each.

Get the endlink off tonight or in the AM. Rake pictures and post them here. We may be able to sort this out online so you won't have to ay for diagnostics.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
what suspension mods do you have? Do you have aftermarket bushings? If so, did they time the bushings when they installed them?
Just lowering springs and swaybars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The first thing you have to do is remove the endlink that has broken loose. If you don't remove it it can foul with other parts and make things worse.

Once the loose endlink is removed, you'll do no further damage driving around. With one link loose the sway bar is doing nothing.

The arms are not that expensive. Rear Lower Control Arms #20942237 Chevrolet MSRP $53 Each.

Get the endlink off tonight or in the AM. Rake pictures and post them here. We may be able to sort this out online so you won't have to ay for diagnostics.
Sent you a pm for more detailed instructions
Old 02-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs, 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 GTO
Bring it by the shop. I'll go over everything with a fine tooth comb. No charge.
Whiteside Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside Customs View Post
Bring it by the shop. I'll go over everything with a fine tooth comb. No charge.
Awesome. Can't pass that up. Nice Whiteside Customs.
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Jesus what a pain... Thanks Pete for giving me your cell # at 11pm and walking me through this. I never could get the bottom nut off. It just kept spinning and spinning. Finally just got pissed and was able to wrench it up through the sheared bracket.

Name:  IMG_20120202_233401.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  98.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20120202_234049.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  175.7 KB

So now what? I guess I need a new control arm? Then I should probably go ahead and get some of those clips that beef up the endlink bracket..and I'll need new endlinks... this is going to be expensive.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside Customs View Post
I appreciate that a lot. I just sent you a pm

Edit:

Wow, we're truly lucky to have people like Pete and Whiteside customs here. They both really stepped up to get me out of a pinch. Whiteside is going to get me all taken care of on Monday.

Last edited by CamaroDreams07; 02-03-2012 at 12:21 AM.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
CamaroDreams07

That was it. Quiet as a mouse today.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Jesus what a pain... Thanks Pete for giving me your cell # at 11pm and walking me through this. I never could get the bottom nut off. It just kept spinning and spinning. Finally just got pissed and was able to wrench it up through the sheared bracket.

So now what? I guess I need a new control arm? Then I should probably go ahead and get some of those clips that beef up the endlink bracket..and I'll need new endlinks... this is going to be expensive.
Looks like it's probably time for a new control arm. It wouldn't be a bad time to get some reinforcement plates either. The endlink doesn't look too chewed up, but it's probably not a bad idea to replace it while you're in there either. Be sure to check out the other side as well for signs of cracking or tearing. I wouldn't expect this to be too awfully expensive, if you only replaced the rear control arm you're probably only going to be into this about 60 bucks in parts... things could definitely be worse!

I'm sure Whiteside will get you taken care of, but thankfully the rear lower control arms are pretty cheap from GM!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote