Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '11 1LT RS /'00 Z28 (RIP) :-(
Anyone have a barton industries shifter?

i am looking to get one this spring. They are cheaper than Hurst . Any thoughts?

http://www.bartonindustries.com/BUY-...ter---Acc.html
United_727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I've heard good things about them, but I've heard better about MGW. I personally haven't experienced either though
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
http://www.apex-speed.com/hurst-bill...2-shifter.html

Hurst is cheaper.

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I have heard a lot of negatives about the hurst though like rattling and all sorts of one off problems.
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
I've been going back and forth about the Barton and the MGW. MGW is more expensive but it replaces the entire assembly. It seems like if I'm going to be having to crawl under the car anyway to replace the shifter, might as well replace the whole thing with the MGW.

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
My Barton rattles like a sob. Thinking about going back to stock. A little rattle OK but when you have crank the radio to cover it sucks.
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
rdaggett

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS
I love my Barton STS ... no rattle at all but I also packed everything really well with synthetic grease when installing.

He said he liked my car and let me off with a warning. Next Day I got a ticket ....
rdaggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Barton Industries

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
My Barton rattles like a sob. Thinking about going back to stock. A little rattle OK but when you have crank the radio to cover it sucks.
You should not be getting a rattle. Some people may get a light buzz at high rpms, but it shouldn't be rattling all the time and If the noise is excessive then something is wrong. The biggest culprit is the dust boot on the bottom of the car, double check that. If the boot is not all the way on or is slightly twisted it can cause a lot of noise. Did you install the "D" to the drivers side? Also, make sure the rubber dust boot on the inside of the car is pulled up onto the round part of the upper stick.

A trick to cut down on some vibration is to put some teflon tape on the threads that the ball screws on to. This will help break up the metal to metal contact.
Thanks,
Dave

United_727- If your close to Sylvan Beach and not in a hurry for the shifter, there is a group of us that meet up there on Thursday nights, of course we have to wait on the weather to break, but thats not to far away. I always have my cars up there so your more than welcome to try it out.
Barton Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
bajamoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barton Industries View Post
You should not be getting a rattle. Some people may get a light buzz at high rpms, but it shouldn't be rattling all the time and If the noise is excessive then something is wrong. The biggest culprit is the dust boot on the bottom of the car, double check that. If the boot is not all the way on or is slightly twisted it can cause a lot of noise. Did you install the "D" to the drivers side? Also, make sure the rubber dust boot on the inside of the car is pulled up onto the round part of the upper stick.

A trick to cut down on some vibration is to put some teflon tape on the threads that the ball screws on to. This will help break up the metal to metal contact.
Thanks,
Dave

United_727- If your close to Sylvan Beach and not in a hurry for the shifter, there is a group of us that meet up there on Thursday nights, of course we have to wait on the weather to break, but thats not to far away. I always have my cars up there so your more than welcome to try it out.
Thanks Dave, I used teflon tape on the threads, the "D" is on the driver side and the boot is correct. I do get the light buzz while cruising on the freeway. The boot inside is correct as well. I don't know, I'll look at the boot on the bottom side again.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
skar

Drives: 2010 2SSRS headers/CAI/tune/corsa,
MGW ???? Barton ??? GM option a Hurst ?
I don't want any rattle.
And I do want to keep it dependable .
Out of the three one has to be better.
JL Audio XD400/4 amp
Pfadt trailing arms & tie rods sway bars.
pedders street 1 package
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
Barton Industries

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skar View Post
MGW ???? Barton ??? GM option a Hurst ?
I don't want any rattle.
And I do want to keep it dependable .
Out of the three one has to be better.
It would depend who you ask. Not everyone is going to like the same thing. There are guys that have switched from all the companies you mentioned and put our shifter in and liked it better. And there are guys that had our shifter in and ended up going with another companies shifter in the end. The vast majority of people will like whatever they end up using, but everyone has different tastes. Which is why we let you install it for 30 days and if you don't like it you can send it back for a full refund. We got our start on Camaro5 and making shifters because, like you, I wanted a shifter, so I bought one and put it in my car only to be out $350 for a shifter I didn't like. So long story short, I made my own and it has blown up into what it is now. That's why we offer the money back guarantee, we don't feel anybody should be out money if the don't like our products.
Barton Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #12

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barton Industries View Post
It would depend who you ask. Not everyone is going to like the same thing. There are guys that have switched from all the companies you mentioned and put our shifter in and liked it better. And there are guys that had our shifter in and ended up going with another companies shifter in the end. The vast majority of people will like whatever they end up using, but everyone has different tastes. Which is why we let you install it for 30 days and if you don't like it you can send it back for a full refund. We got our start on Camaro5 and making shifters because, like you, I wanted a shifter, so I bought one and put it in my car only to be out $350 for a shifter I didn't like. So long story short, I made my own and it has blown up into what it is now. That's why we offer the money back guarantee, we don't feel anybody should be out money if the don't like our products.
I've had experience putting in a few shifters myself...and in defense of the manufacturers, without getting into all the technical jargon, to get the short throw and performance type feel, the nature of the beast is that it may vibrate/rattle depending on a lot of factors. Long before the new camaros, all the shifters and their linkage set-ups were never all that quiet. And for the most part if they were installed incorrectly, they would not even shift or you would soon have some sort of breakage.

I know we all want our cars and installs to be perfect, and suppliers will do their best to make you happy...but I for one can live with the feel of a nice short throw shifter, and not get that upset over a slight noise in a muscle car!
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
subzero05

Drives: 2010 tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_727 View Post
i am looking to get one this spring. They are cheaper than Hurst . Any thoughts?

http://www.bartonindustries.com/BUY-...ter---Acc.html
they are not cheaper than Hurst. the Hurst unit is $199 now at most places.get that one!
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
I have an MGW and think it's the best. I have driven the hurst and barton. The MGW had the best overall feel and is quiet as the stocker.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #15
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
+1 for Barton. Dave's customer service is second to none. He even made me a brushed aluminum knob simply because I asked! Super cool guy, and great product. I've had mine for about 6000 miles now. Zero issues. I mean NONE, zilch, no problems whatsoever. No annoying vibration. Not a Barton fanboy here, just a happy customer.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I have the Barton. I do get a little noise/vibration mostly in 2nd gear, but its a great shifter and I'd buy it again. I have both the short polished shaft and the longer (Hurst style) flat shaft, plus 4-5 Barton and aftermarket knobs, and change them from time to time.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
Nessal

Drives: Lotus Exige
I originally was going with Barton until I found out that they no longer offer the standard stick style and only offer the flat stick now. So I just bought a Hurst Plus shifter since it's cheaper and looks the same as the Barton. Only reason I considered Barton was because of that style specifically. But now they are all the same.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Before I bought my Barton I checked out the feel of both the Hurst and Barton back to back at a local show. It's nice to be able to compare mods so easily like that. I really liked how much crisper the shifts felt on the Barton compared to the Hurst and was surprised at the difference. I haven't tried the MGW, but have heard good things. I am really happy with my Barton though.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
bajamoon

I agree with the feel of the Barton. I love it and Dave is a great guy, wish all companies had his customer service. Mine happens to rattle and is loud when on the gas hard So He is sending the stick attachment for the OEM knob to see if that helps.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
Zman12

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I have the Barton with the pistol grip and like it. It was already installed in the car when I purchased. I have also used Mgw in my last Cobra and liked it to. I would say you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #21
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
A couple pics of mine:

Old 02-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #22
RkS

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 2LT RS
One more Barton fan, have had no issues, no rattles or noise of any kind. These are super people to deal with, customer service is 2nd to none.
Attached Images

RkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #23
victoryred1ss

Drives: 2010 SS M6
I have had a Barton shifter for almost 2 years in mine. I love it, no rattles and smooth short shift!
Tune done by JRE
victoryred1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
skar

Drives: 2010 2SSRS headers/CAI/tune/corsa,
Will Barton ever have a sale. Car is in storage until spring so no hurry.
or group buy. I see Hurst lowered there price $199.99
JL Audio XD400/4 amp
Pfadt trailing arms & tie rods sway bars.
pedders street 1 package
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #25
Stay Marine
Finally home!!

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS; in transformation
very happy with my Barton...lowest setting is the bomb....and very crisp...love it.