Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,564
Headlight Retrofit. Non-RS. PIC HEAVY

Heres a little background on my headlights. When I first got my car I ordered green and white dual color halos to go in my Non-RS headlight. They looked alright and everyone loved them. Then I tinted my headlights because I really do not like the look of the cheap reflective halogen headlight. So, the headlights looked good and no one could really tell they were non-rs. But, I wanted to add colorshift halos, so I decided to do a projector retrofit at the same time because I would be opening up the housings anyways.

So, I ordered the projectors from and shrouds from the http://www.TheRetrofitSource.com/ They were the: Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 4.1 and Mini Graphite shrouds and cost $126 with shipping.

Then I ordered colorshift 2.0 halos with remote from AAC http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...olorshift.aspx and that cost $250 with a discount I found online

Then I ordered a 35watt 5000k Hid kit from http://www.TheRetrofitSource.com/ for $105.

Then I bought a $5 can of krylon matte black paint from lowes and thatsall it took.

So for $486 you could have this same exact setup, or $236 you could have this setup minus the halos.

PS the hids will be here in a few days, so I cant reseal the headlights just yet because I need to make sure the projector cutoff is aligned properly first, but I tested the colorshift halos and they are amazing. Feel free to ask any questions as this is a considerably cheaper way of getting RS headlight look alikes.



















__________________

Last edited by austinjames; 07-24-2012 at 11:44 AM.
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,847
What do you think of ddm tuning? I had just did this to mine and am now seeing where to get my hid kit. I only need the ballasts and bulbs and was going to buy them from the retrofit source for 150 but if ddm tuning sells the kit for less I might just buy that. I'm just concerned with the quality, this is my dd and I don't want things going out on me.
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
What do you think of ddm tuning? I had just did this to mine and am now seeing where to get my hid kit. I only need the ballasts and bulbs and was going to buy them from the retrofit source for 150 but if ddm tuning sells the kit for less I might just buy that. I'm just concerned with the quality, this is my dd and I don't want things going out on me.
Well I've had a ddm hid on my car since September. With no problems What so ever. Not one flicker or anything. But I ordered the harness as well. And one of my buddies bought 2 different eBay kits and they all flickered so I told him to use ddm and that solved his problem. My car is my daily driver too and I completely trust ddm hids.
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,847
I'll probably order the whole kit from them depending on the price. Do they offer some sort of warranty?
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Southwestspeed.net

 
Ivan @ Southwest Speed's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 11,645
Looks good brother!

Welcome to the 5050 Club!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I'll probably order the whole kit from them depending on the price. Do they offer some sort of warranty?
im sure they have some kind of warranty
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,564
just uploaded some vids
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
SlowSS


 
SlowSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Commerce, GA
Posts: 3,817
You Sir deserve it.... you did a killer job!
__________________
SlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSS View Post
You Sir deserve it.... you did a killer job!
thanks man, not a bad way to spend 7 hours
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
erk5000

 
erk5000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 1,036
Send a message via Yahoo to erk5000
Looks good!
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/SIM/L99
erk5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
9.8m/s/s
 
9.8m/s/s's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Synergy LS
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA!!
Posts: 184
Wow thats a lot of work. wish i had the balls to cut open my headlight, too worried about moisture. How much trouble is wiring or do they just plug back in?
__________________
9.8m/s/s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9.8m/s/s View Post
Wow thats a lot of work. wish i had the balls to cut open my headlight, too worried about moisture. How much trouble is wiring or do they just plug back in?
Yes the wiring just plugs in to the controller after u extend and run the wires thru your car of course. And re-sealing the headlights is very easy I've done it 4 or 5 times for people . You just use 100% silicone. And you can go way overboard on it and no one will ever see. So no moisture at all.

And I'd there is any moisture just put more silicone around it. Very easy
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,568
Bitchin job man!! It looks amazing. I am in the process of buying everything needed to get this done as well. How hard is the wiring (I'd love to see a picture), and does the remote control work well enough when the control box is stored on the center console? I was thinking of putting my control box either in the engine bay (I'm scared about that the engine heat may destroy it though), or in the center consol.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Bitchin job man!! It looks amazing. I am in the process of buying everything needed to get this done as well. How hard is the wiring (I'd love to see a picture), and does the remote control work well enough when the control box is stored on the center console? I was thinking of putting my control box either in the engine bay (I'm scared about that the engine heat may destroy it though), or in the center consol.
Thank you very much. Wiring was a breeze. the control box takes 6 wires.

1. 12v source
2. ground
3. Red
4. Green
5. Blue
6. Black

And the halos have the Red, Green, Blue, and Black wires on them. I did all the wiring in about 20 min, no problem at all. And, the remote is very weak. I tested the halos and controller box and remote outside of the car before i installed anything and you have to be like 3 feet from the box for the remote to do anything. Im going to call and see if theres anything i can do to extend the range of the remote. Other than that I love it. looks amazing
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Saint Alban

 
Saint Alban's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Queens, New York (NY5thGen.com)
Posts: 974
That's a great job. Do those projectors just fit in there like a bulb would? I thought there was some sort of epoxy and sanding involved. And DDM is pretty reliable. I have a kit in my Yamaha R1 and a few friends have them in their cars and bikes as well.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
Saint Alban

 
Saint Alban's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Queens, New York (NY5thGen.com)
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjames View Post
Thank you very much. Wiring was a breeze. the control box takes 6 wires.

1. 12v source
2. ground
3. Red
4. Green
5. Blue
6. Black

And the halos have the Red, Green, Blue, and Black wires on them. I did all the wiring in about 20 min, no problem at all. And, the remote is very weak. I tested the halos and controller box and remote outside of the car before i installed anything and you have to be like 3 feet from the box for the remote to do anything. Im going to call and see if theres anything i can do to extend the range of the remote. Other than that I love it. looks amazing
I had that problem with one of their controllers I have. It turned out to be the remotes battery. I got a new battery and the remote was a lot more responsive.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #17
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
That's a great job. Do those projectors just fit in there like a bulb would? I thought there was some sort of epoxy and sanding involved. And DDM is pretty reliable. I have a kit in my Yamaha R1 and a few friends have them in their cars and bikes as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
I had that problem with one of their controllers I have. It turned out to be the remotes battery. I got a new battery and the remote was a lot more responsive.
The mini morimoto projectors Like I got go in very easy. Kind of like a bulb yes, you just have to take out the reflector part, put the backside of the projector through and 3 pieces on the back sandwich and lock it to the reflector, and then just pop the reflector back in. Very simple. Some Projectors you do have to sand, align and all that crap, but not the one i got.

R1 nice man, thats a sick bike. Very quick.

So you think if I just go buy a new battery that will do it? that would be awesome. Thanks for the info man.
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
Saint Alban

 
Saint Alban's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Queens, New York (NY5thGen.com)
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjames View Post
The mini morimoto projectors Like I got go in very easy. Kind of like a bulb yes, you just have to take out the reflector part, put the backside of the projector through and 3 pieces on the back sandwich and lock it to the reflector, and then just pop the reflector back in. Very simple. Some Projectors you do have to sand, align and all that crap, but not the one i got.

R1 nice man, thats a sick bike. Very quick.

So you think if I just go buy a new battery that will do it? that would be awesome. Thanks for the info man.
Well, hopefully it's the battery. I don't have the same controller as you. Yours actually looks more high tech than mine so I don't see why it should be weak. I have an RGB controller also from eBay for like $25 and it's got like 100 ft range.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,564
ya if the battery doesnt work which i hope it does, its no biggie really. Ill just program the mods I like onto the control box, and just switch them there.
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,564
ill try picking up a new battery tomorrow or the next day
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #21
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,527
Very nice! Thanks for posting pics and where you ordered (and prices!). Much appreciated.
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #22
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Very nice! Thanks for posting pics and where you ordered (and prices!). Much appreciated.
No problem at all.
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #23
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,063
Nice!

It's nice to see members starting to see that the Retrofit is the way to go. It is a little work but not that bad.

Wait until you get everything finished up. You'll love the output and cut-off of the Morimoto projectors.

BTW: I was talking to the guys over at TRS a few weeks ago and they mentioned they are working on some Halos as well. They are supposed to be out soon and he said they'll be alot less expensive than what's on the market now.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #24
blackknight
Camaro Lover
 
Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Posts: 710
Thats pretty Impressive. Always love to see a good retrofit. Ever been on hidplanet forums? good stuff over there.
__________________
No Camaro right now. But I'll be back in one in a few years.
blackknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #25
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjames View Post
Thank you very much. Wiring was a breeze. the control box takes 6 wires.

1. 12v source
2. ground
3. Red
4. Green
5. Blue
6. Black

And the halos have the Red, Green, Blue, and Black wires on them. I did all the wiring in about 20 min, no problem at all. And, the remote is very weak. I tested the halos and controller box and remote outside of the car before i installed anything and you have to be like 3 feet from the box for the remote to do anything. Im going to call and see if theres anything i can do to extend the range of the remote. Other than that I love it. looks amazing
Thanks! It's good to know the wiring is easy because I'm not that experienced with automotive wiring yet. I'm curious to see if I have to extend any wires by soldering extensions on the end just to get them to reach. Also, hopefully it's just the battery in the remote that's low.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM Reveals 2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 47 12-26-2011 05:03 PM
Pic Request: Victory Red 2LT - No RS - l008com Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 14 11-24-2009 08:10 PM
Pic Request: Stock 1LT's (No RS etc) l008com Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 5 11-08-2009 08:48 AM
2010 Camaro, first round of mods RS (old school) style headlight covers... 6LITEREATER Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 13 08-08-2009 06:34 PM
RS Package Headlight Rings kevinmask Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 3 07-16-2009 02:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.