Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 02-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
scott&keyla

Drives: 2010 ss(scott) 2011 rs(keyla)
Question differential seal leak

Just installed 1400 hp axles on my 2010 SS and now both seals are leaking. we tried installing them twice and still leaking. be very careful when installing any axles!!! the seals will leak if you hit them the wrong way. ITS NOT THE AXLE!!! get new seals $9.00 before install.

Last edited by scott&keyla; 03-14-2012 at 04:01 PM.
scott&keyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
This is a common problem when installing new axles. The seals can easily be damage if you arent very careful when inserting them into diff. You will need new diff seals more than likely.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
This is a common problem when installing new axles. The seals can easily be damage if you arent very careful when inserting them into diff. You will need new diff seals more than likely.

THIS
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
shines

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott&keyla View Post
Just installed 1400 hp axles on my 2010 SS and now both seals are leaking. we tried installing them twice and still leaking. the second time the seal leak got worse. somebody out there had this problem? what should i try next?
If your car is lowered it could be that the axles are not penetrating the differential housing far enough to seal.
shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Just installed 1400 hp axles on my 2010 SS and now both seals are leaking. we tried installing them twice and still leaking. the second time the seal leak got worse. somebody out there had this problem? what should i try next?
The very first thing I would do is contact the DSS, and see what they have to say...I agree with the others on this thread, but before doing anything, I would contact the vendor and let them help/guide you....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
its more then likely the seals, be careful this is known problem with any axles being installed
If you want to see some of our latest Hi-Tech stuff click the picture below....
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Zman12

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
its more then likely the seals, be careful this is known problem with any axles being installed
What's best way to avoid this? I will be taking out factory axles to to take diff out to install bushings. Just want to know the best technique if the seals or so fragile.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
as the Splined area leaves the diff just be very careful not to catch the splines or the groove for the snap ring, the seal for some reason is very fragile and will rip or dislodge the spring easy. just be careful
If you want to see some of our latest Hi-Tech stuff click the picture below....
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
crap like this happens, not a dss thing , it just happens , frank is def good at getting you fixed up...
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
2L82RUN

Drives: ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
crap like this happens, not a dss thing , it just happens , frank is def good at getting you fixed up...
+1
Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
lionssfan
drive it like U stold it

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
they do have seal protectors that slid on over the seal and helps keep from nicking the seal. but I never use them if your very carful. the key is not to touch the seal with the end of the spline or snap ring. once the splines catch and starts going in your good from that point from damaging the seal. little grease won't hurt on the seal or mating surface on the axle shaft. the key is having full control as you come up on the seal with the axle end.
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Zman12

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Thanks!! gonna try new seals. will let you know if they work. two weeks with out my car sucks!!
How did you turn out?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
scott&keyla

Update!!! just left rpm after installing new seals. so far so good with the leaking!! no leak!!

Last edited by scott&keyla; 03-14-2012 at 03:55 PM.
scott&keyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
scott&keyla

Well just got around to flushing the diff fluid and sure enough soon as it started draining out there went two small springs from my old seals!!! So now no leak and new seals. Ready to hit the track and run it.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 AM   #15
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Can it be daily driven with these axles? I don't mind it being stiff, cause I expect this from aftermarket suspension parts. I plan on getting these axles along with PFADT tie rods, trailing arms, and solid subframe bushings.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #16
Frid

Thanks scott. I plan on getting the trailing arms, etc. first and then later in the year order the axles and some drag radials. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have my new diff too and be done with suspension issues

Would you suggest I go for my new diff/gears first or will axles and everything else from PFADT I'm ordering be good enough to handle radials?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #17
scott&keyla

I hear unless you have more than 750 rwhp axles are all you will need. the trailing arms ect will do just fine until you get your axles.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #18
Frid

Good to know axles will be the mandatory part for launching with radials without anything in the back breaking. Or am I wrong? I just don't want to add radials if the diff/gears risk breaking on hard launches. Sorry for sounding so dumb but new to the performance line and learning a little bit every day.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #19
Frid

I also heard they DSS sells a slighty less expensive set of axles that handle around 600HP for about $350 less. But I think I'll pay the extra to have the better and stronger axle.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
bhall82
Account Suspended

Quote:
Ok now i getting a real bad vibration at high rpm and a loud popping sound when i go to first or reverse. i posted a video on youtube-dss axles popping and moving up and down. seems like its only the passenger side that's doing it. this will be my forth time messing with these axles. I spent a whole lot of loot on suspension parts and these axles. been to rpm 3 times to work on these axles. only bad thing is that dss will not send me a new set with out paying for a new set first. i don't have much extra money left after all these problems and travel 50 miles back and forth to rpm 3 times. please frank help me out!!!! i have dragging rights and camaro for heros coming up. Help!!!!!!!

This may help

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207748
Old 03-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
Quote:
Ok now i getting a real bad vibration at high rpm and a loud popping sound when i go to first or reverse. i posted a video on youtube-dss axles popping and moving up and down. seems like its only the passenger side that's doing it. this will be my forth time messing with these axles. I spent a whole lot of loot on suspension parts and these axles. been to rpm 3 times to work on these axles. only bad thing is that dss will not send me a new set with out paying for a new set first. i don't have much extra money left after all these problems and travel 50 miles back and forth to rpm 3 times. please frank help me out!!!! i have dragging rights and camaro for heros coming up. Help!!!!!!!
DSS is number 1 in my book, but I feel your pain. Thank god I had my stock axles still to get around. I shipped my axles back to DSS 03/01/12 for the same thing. It looks like I am going to miss the LSX shootout this weekend at Bradenton and maybe the SuperChevy race at West Palm Beach next week. I rather wait for Frank to finish testing the parts, so I won't have this problem again. It can get pricey, since most shops will charge $150. to $200. each time X 2 for labor plus $40. shipping

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
scott&keyla

Just to let everyone know!!! it wasn't the axles. called frank at dss and he helped out alot . most deff i would buy dss axles and new seals. if you have any problems with dss axles give them a call. great people there.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #23
bhall82
Account Suspended

Quote:
Just to let everyone know!!! it wasn't the axles. called frank at dss and he helped out alot . most deff i would buy dss axles and new seals. if you have any problems with dss axles give them a call. great people there.

That's what Manny and myself were telling you . Glad you squared away
Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #24
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Quote:
Hope I was helpful Scott. Did you figure out the problem?
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #25
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
Quote:
Glad you got it resolved. DSS is an amazing company to deal with and they have an excellent customer service.

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote