Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > California Meets and Events

Old 02-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Falundir

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition SS
Exclamation Bay Area -Planning Thread(March)- Mt Hamilton/Mines Rd Canyon Crawl & Brewery/Winery

This is a planning thread for us to hammer out details and discuss ideas related to the above topic. Once all details are finalized I will create a new thread to avoid confusion.

Goal
To lock in a date, and determine which interests the group more, reserving an entire winery (if we have the numbers), or hitting up a local brewpub in Livermore.

Dates
For Brewpub option - any weekend in March starting the 17th
For Winery option - any weekend in March starting the 17th and ending the 25th.

There is a major event the 31st in Livermore where all wineries get together and do barrel tasting. Over 35 wineries in a single location. This is a VERY busy weekend, and should be avoided unless we end up with only a few people. Details are here. I will be attending this, but I'll list as a separate item as it gets closer.

Food
First Street Alehouse is my primary suggestion since it is NOT a chain, and they do their own brews.

If we go the winery route, many of them have the capability to make food, however we would probably have to make a commitment to an exact number of people (potentially even prepay, I would need to research further if there is enough interest).

Route
The route will start on the San Jose side of Mt Hamilton in Murillo (?). We will need to locate a large enough parking lot (which should be easy to do) to use as a staging ground. We need to be as close to the starting line as possible (reasoning below).

We will end in Livermore at a parking lot TBD to gather up and head to our final destination as a group.

Running Style
Let's be honest here, the number one complaint I hear is how many different driving styles we have and how each prefers to go their own pace and not be forced to keep up or get lost.

We need to add into this that casually this is a moderate skill road, with the skill required increasing the more aggressive you drive. Plus there are a ton of bikes (motor and ped) who will be enjoying this road just as we are, so we need to be aware of them!

I'm open to suggestion, however for now this is how we will operate.

1. Prior to the event, via pm, I will get an aggression rating from each driver (scale 1-100). This rating will determine your order, allowing everyone to drive at their own pace. I will reserve the right to make last minute changes if I think someone's 80 is actually a 30... Also if you list yourself as a 95 with no suspension work compared to other aggressive drivers with heavy suspension, you will be placed behind them.

Shutterbugs should reduce their rating by 50 as you will want to pull over a few times for shots.

2. We will meet up at the gathering point and re-review choke points and 1 lane roads.

3. The pecking order will be announced and I will be directing the cars out of the lot in this order. Keep in mind that this means I'm last and will be behind PacificKing (grandma) when I'd put myself at a 75... So if anyone doesn't drive safe I'll bring you back from the dead and kill you myself~

4. DRIVE SAFE, MIND ROAD HAZARDS, ONE LANE ROADS, OTHER RIDERS/DRIVERS ON THE ROAD!!!!

5. We will gather up at the lot in Livermore. My lovely wife gets carsick easy so she won't join me on this, however she will join at this point and I'll stuff a cooler of drinks and some snacks in her trunk for those who get to the lot and are hanging out waiting on the rest.

6. Once the last driver is in we will fire em up and roll out to our final destination that we decide on below.

7. Have a great time.

8. Drive safe going home.

Other Notes
I'm doing my best to attempt to fix the top complaints I hear about our other events so PLEASE post here or pm if there is anything else you can think of that we should address. I don't mind dropping the hammer to get it done so everyone can enjoy things at their own pace.

This is a beautiful and very enjoyable drive that everyone should experience at least once in their life. Driving casually it is very safe, but like any canyon carve, respect the road.

Let's do this~ :5thgenvert:

Some inspiration for you...

On Mountain Hamilton by flopper, on Flickr

Mount Hamilton Sunset by Images by John 'K', on Flickr

Mount Hamilton Sunset Panorama by Images by John 'K', on Flickr

End of Day by atenpo, on Flickr
Attached Images

Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
In as long as it isn't March 24 or 25th. March 17 would work best for me. Never driven Mines rd from the Mt hamilton side to livermore so this should be a good drive!

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I'm/We're in for this so long as my job doesn't turn me into a walking dead in the next few weeks. Very well thought out plan Chris. If you need any help, let me know. =)
Old 02-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
cyberLS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey LS
We might be in. How long of a drive is it?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Falundir

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberLS View Post
We might be in. How long of a drive is it?
Took me a little over 2 hours driving very casual and stopping for pictures.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Chris, just wanted to add that some lowered cars might want to be careful on 130 up Mt Hamilton from San Jose as the road is SH*T and I know of a couple people who have bottomed out. FYI.......

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
Old 02-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
cyberLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
Chris, just wanted to add that some lowered cars might want to be careful on 130 up Mt Hamilton from San Jose as the road is SH*T and I know of a couple people who have bottomed out. FYI.......
I remember reading that. I migh be taking my car then but might ride along with cedes.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Just don't fly everywhere and we should be fine. =)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
wally_bear
RUMBLR1

Drives: 2011 SGM SS
Send a message via Skype™ to wally_bear
Right now any weekend in March from the 17th onwards works for me. The sooner we can lock it in the better - so the wife does not book me instead .

BTW - can I say - awesome write up to frame the discussion on the next cruise .
wally_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS 6 Speed
Quote:
In as long as it isn't March 24 or 25th. March 17 would work best for me. Never driven Mines rd from the Mt hamilton side to livermore so this should be a good drive!
Josh, are you going to the Good Guys show those two days? They are running the auto-x for that show.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
Josh, are you going to the Good Guys show those two days? They are running the auto-x for that show.
I'll probably go the other day that weekend but def no auto-x for me after what happened to the carbon camaro last time!

Old 02-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Falundir

zList:

Falundir+1
Food Vote: Brewpub
Date Vote: 17th, 18th

pyr0b0y
Food Vote: ?
Date Vote: 17th

CyberLS +1
Date Vote: ?

Mindz

wally_bear
Date Vote: Open
Old 02-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
Falundir

Quote:
I looked into this and from what I learned as long as you aren't lowered more than 1.25" with you in the car you should be fine. There is a few mile stretch San Jose side that isn't very enjoyable, but the rest of it more than makes up for those few slow miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_bear View Post
Right now any weekend in March from the 17th onwards works for me. The sooner we can lock it in the better - so the wife does not book me instead .

BTW - can I say - awesome write up to frame the discussion on the next cruise .
Thanks.

I will lock things down on the 25th based on people's preferences and can move forward with reservations etc.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
cyberLS

cedes said she cant do the 17th. she has to work. i might still come if it is that day but i am open to anything but just need to know in advance to request off. i am barely lowered around an inch so i might drive it. but i request to be in the back as always
Old 02-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
PacificKing

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS CGM with White Rally St
Chris, I think you know I'm down, and the pecking order is fine for me, no big. I will be out of town in Napa and Anaheim from the 15th to the 22nd, so the 25th would be best for me. I'm totally up for supporting local places, brew houses, etc, especially if they do their own root beer, so your idea seems good for me.

Count me in for the event on the 31st as well.
PacificKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

What time were you thinking about starting?

If I can make it, the 17th won't work for me. I have a major convention in Sacramento to attend. I don't know if I can even make it down near san jose in time for the start of the cruise. Please don't base any decisions on my input though. I would love to make it, but have no idea of my schedule until at least next week.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
I'd love to take this drive again without racing through the hills. Unfortunately, I'll be in Boston the time frame you're planning.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #18
TCorzett
Fish out of Water

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Ah, the drive down from Mt. Hamilton into the Valley is one of my favorites in the Bay Area (and the Country).

You guys mind if a Zeta Platform cousin tags along?

-Todd...
TCorzett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
The Shadoww
Black on Black on Black

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LS
Send a message via Skype™ to The Shadoww
I'm in. I have no vote for anything because i just like to drive, i don't care where we go or where we eat lol. Mt. Hamilton is a great drive. It's fun to sprint up but you for sure have to be aware that it is heavily traveled by bikers and motorcyclist, also the road is dirty some times. Any who, it's a blast.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
Falundir

zList:

Falundir+1

pyr0b0y

CyberLS +1
Date Vote: Any - However preferred to not be the 17th so Mercedes can attend.

Mindz
Date Vote: NOT the 17th.

wally_bear

TCorzett

The Shadoww
Food Vote: No Pref
Date Vote: No Pref

PacificKing
Date Vote: 25th
Old 02-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
Falundir

All additional information has been added to the list in the post above this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
What time were you thinking about starting?

If I can make it, the 17th won't work for me. I have a major convention in Sacramento to attend. I don't know if I can even make it down near san jose in time for the start of the cruise. Please don't base any decisions on my input though. I would love to make it, but have no idea of my schedule until at least next week.
Time is TBA, however I cannot see us crossing the start line after 2pm. You will want light for this run, and finishing near sunset is quite a sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCorzett View Post
Ah, the drive down from Mt. Hamilton into the Valley is one of my favorites in the Bay Area (and the Country).

You guys mind if a Zeta Platform cousin tags along?

-Todd...
All are welcome Todd. It's about the love of the road and having a great time.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #22
Falundir

While this is very early (I'm closing the voting on 2/25) it appears that 3/24 - 3/25 is the current favorite.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #23
TCorzett
Fish out of Water

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
All are welcome Todd. It's about the love of the road and having a great time.
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
TCorzett
First Street Alehouse is a great place to eat/drink/hang... and there is a bunch of parking in the back lot (unless they went and built a building there in the last year).

The 24th I'll be at Goodguys... and the 31st will be flying back from Miller Motorsports Park. Any of the other days in March will work for me.

-Todd...
TCorzett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #24
Falundir

zList:

Falundir+1

pyr0b0y

CyberLS +1
Date Vote: Any - However preferred to not be the 17th so Mercedes can attend.

Mindz
Date Vote: NOT the 17th.

wally_bear

TCorzett
Date Vote: 17th, 18th, 25th

The Shadoww
Food Vote: No Pref
Date Vote: No Pref

PacificKing
Date Vote: 25th
Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #25
wally_bear
RUMBLR1

Drives: 2011 SGM SS
Send a message via Skype™ to wally_bear
I have no preference for food and I'm marked the 24th / 25th March as the possible weekend dates in my calendar .
wally_bear is offline   Reply With Quote