Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > California Meets and Events

View Poll Results: Will you be joining us for this run?
Yes, and I plan on racing at K1 Speed! 3 50.00%
Yes, but I'll leave the K1 track to the hardcore racers. 1 16.67%
Maybe. I'll have to check my schedule or get approval from my better half. 2 33.33%
No. Schedule conflict, I only do car shows, or the crazy guys in Corvettes scare me! 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
boltvette

Drives: 1963 Corvette, 2001 Corvette
SD Camaros and Corvettes Run to K1 Speed 2/19

The Corvette Owners Club of San Diego hosts a monthly run every 3rd Sunday, and this month (Feb. 19) we're heading to K1 Speed in Carlsbad.

We will be taking a backroads route, with minimal freeway miles and maximum twists and turns. Bring your Angel Pads, if you have them! The exact route is TBD, but it will likely include Highland Valley Rd., Bandy Canyon Rd. and Del Dios Hwy. We will get to K1 Speed just as it opens at 11, or perhaps a bit sooner. Most of us will do two "arrive and drive" sessions and then head to lunch nearby. If you have never been to K1, it's a blast. But you don't need to race to be a part of the run. The cost is $20 per session, plus $6 for an annual license. There is no charge to come in and watch. They use electric karts, so no worries about fumes. Check their website at www.k1speed.com.

All Camaro and Corvette owners are welcome! I challenge anyone to beat the 28.0 lap time I set at K1 last week!

Meet spot is the parking lot near the Starbucks at 2245 Fenton Parkway in Mission Valley (by the IKEA) by 8:30 am. We'll head out around 8:45 - 9.
2-seater "Camaro" w/JMS Racing LS3; C5 Z06 trans; C6 ZR1 exhaust; Dynatech catback; Ron Davis radiator; trans, diff & engine oil coolers; Pfadt JOC Stage 1 bars & shocks; C6 Z51 brakes; Angelwings C5 Track Day Bar; Angel Pads!
boltvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2012 Panamera
I got so much going on that weekend. Get back from a month long "business" trip the 17th. SoCal Mayhem detail day the 18th. This would be nice to attend since it's not too far away. Maybe I'll make it.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
oTToBoT87
Robot in Disguise

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Transformers Edition M6
Send a message via Yahoo to oTToBoT87
sounds fun. i might go

K&N Typhoon CAI, Moroso Catch Can, ZL1 Grill w/ Emblem Pro's Cybertronian SS Badgeing, Autobot Fuel Door, Blue LED Dome Light, AAC Concept Side Markers, License Plate LED, Window Tint
oTToBoT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Bump! This Sunday folks. Corvette Owners Club is a great group and has supported multiple Camaro cruises. If you can make it, come on out and enjoy the drive. Sunshine and mid to high 60's in the forecast. Camaros, Corvettes, and some twisties followed by karting at K1. Will make for a great Sunday followed by a federal holiday Monday.

The Workhorse: 2006 Silverado CCSB, EFI Live, MBRP/Diamond Eye 4" turbo back, Edge Insight CTS
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
I would like to attend! Never been to a meet or cruise yet. I always happen to miss them :(. Any other Camaro 5 memebers attending? I live in the LA area (Harbor Area) would like to meet up with someone and then shoot overthere to join everyone!!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
theflash
Flash

Drives: 2011 maro AKA Silver Bullet
Would love to come out and support but iv already mad planes for that weekend plus the event on the 18 for socal mayhem I will be there
Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
I would like to attend! Never been to a meet or cruise yet. I always happen to miss them :(. Any other Camaro 5 memebers attending? I live in the LA area (Harbor Area) would like to meet up with someone and then shoot overthere to join everyone!!
I'm coming from San Diego but there are three meet spots before everyone comes together so pick whatever works best for you. See you out there.

Travis

Sent from Droid

The Workhorse: 2006 Silverado CCSB, EFI Live, MBRP/Diamond Eye 4" turbo back, Edge Insight CTS
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
arod55
AROD55

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS/55 Chevy Bel Aire
Can't make it going to Vegas for some R&R.
arod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #9
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Sounds awesome. Not sure if I can make it yet but I'll try!
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
boltvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
I have our tentative route worked out - 78 miles and about 2 hours. I'm not quite sure where we will be stopping - if we make a stop. The bad news for you is that it is all east of Carlsbad. You're welcome to join us at the starting point in Mission Valley, if you are willing to get out of LA very early. We will be leaving the Starbucks no later than 9 to get to K1 by 11. Or you can just meet us at K1.
2-seater "Camaro" w/JMS Racing LS3; C5 Z06 trans; C6 ZR1 exhaust; Dynatech catback; Ron Davis radiator; trans, diff & engine oil coolers; Pfadt JOC Stage 1 bars & shocks; C6 Z51 brakes; Angelwings C5 Track Day Bar; Angel Pads!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltvette View Post
I have our tentative route worked out - 78 miles and about 2 hours. I'm not quite sure where we will be stopping - if we make a stop. The bad news for you is that it is all east of Carlsbad. You're welcome to join us at the starting point in Mission Valley, if you are willing to get out of LA very early. We will be leaving the Starbucks no later than 9 to get to K1 by 11. Or you can just meet us at K1.
Looking forward to it! I am sure the route will be a good one. Can you comment on the pace? I think it is good for folks to know that COCSD brings all types and that particpants will be able to travel within their comfort zone. With that being...

Bump for the SoCal folks! Anyone else interested in coming out?

Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
boltvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
Looking forward to it! I am sure the route will be a good one. Can you comment on the pace? I think it is good for folks to know that COCSD brings all types and that particpants will be able to travel within their comfort zone. With that being...

Bump for the SoCal folks! Anyone else interested in coming out?
The pace for this run will be fairly casual - maybe 5 to 10 over on the freeway stretches, but not crazy. That being said, in preparation for next weekend's track day, I will have my racing tires and brake pads on my Corvette, assuming that the front pads arrive today or tomorrow. And there are a few spots on 78 and Highland Valley that scream for a slightly faster pace. But should I be leading the pack, I will be slowing on the straight sections and letting everyone catch back up. No one will be asked to drive faster than they would like and no one will be left behind. We'll keep the real racing to the kart track and/or Chuckwalla.

I believe I've attached the tentative route. If it's not there, contact me at craig@angelwingstech.com and I'll email it to you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Starbucks to K1 Speed - long route.pdf (365.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
GunnyG
Da WHALE

How long are y'all gonna be there? I might get out in about 45 mins. It's local for me, so I might as well support.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
boltvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
How long are y'all gonna be there? I might get out in about 45 mins. It's local for me, so I might as well support.
You must have just missed us! We were there from 11 to about 12:30 before heading up Palomar Airport Rd. to Islands for lunch.

Travis did the Family proud by running a 27.968 in the first session, the fastest in our run group. Absolutely amazing for the first time at K1 Speed. Because he beat my previous best of 28.041, he won a set of G-Force mechanic/driver gloves. He ran an almost identical 27.971 best lap in the second session, but I re-established Corvette Owners Club supremacy with an all-time best 27.596. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do at Chuckwalla on Saturday.

Thanks to Travis and son, Rob and Tom for joining us for the run. You're always welcome! That goes for you too, Gunny and all Camaro 5 members. I'll let you know when we do it again.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
tadams72
When is enough ever...

It Was AWESOME!

Had a blast and as usual, the COCSD folks were very welcoming. Route was fun though I did end up with a crack in the windshield somehow. So if anyone has a good recommendation for glass replacement in San Diego I would appreciate the info. Don't want some shady shop messing it up.

Now on to Chuckwalla next weekend to see how the Camaro handles. something tells me the K1 carts stick a little better.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Quote:
You must have just missed us! We were there from 11 to about 12:30 before heading up Palomar Airport Rd. to Islands for lunch.

Travis did the Family proud by running a 27.968 in the first session, the fastest in our run group. Absolutely amazing for the first time at K1 Speed. Because he beat my previous best of 28.041, he won a set of G-Force mechanic/driver gloves. He ran an almost identical 27.971 best lap in the second session, but I re-established Corvette Owners Club supremacy with an all-time best 27.596. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do at Chuckwalla on Saturday.

Thanks to Travis and son, Rob and Tom for joining us for the run. You're always welcome! That goes for you too, Gunny and all Camaro 5 members. I'll let you know when we do it again.
Man, I was washing the wife's car. I'll definitely catch y'all the next time. Glad to be home though.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
DET MSCL
Camaro Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via MSN to DET MSCL Send a message via Yahoo to DET MSCL Send a message via Skype™ to DET MSCL
Quote:

Way to go Travis!

Did you get either of your track runs on the Hero2? If so, I bet the wind drag slowed you down by at least 0.4 seconds!

2010 Victory Red 2SS ~ Black Leather ~ Cyber Grey Rally Stripes ~ Auto ~ SunRoof ~ Polished 20s, VIN: 102432

Ordered: 10/16/2008, Built: 4/3/2009, On The Rail: 5/21/2009, Departed Michigan: 6/1/2009, Delivered: 6/11/2009
DET MSCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET MSCL View Post
Way to go Travis!

Did you get either of your track runs on the Hero2? If so, I bet the wind drag slowed you down by at least 0.4 seconds!
No. I thought about it but wasn't sure how everything there worked so I left it in the car. Next time.

Travis

Sent from Droid

Old 02-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #19
Gonzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
It Was AWESOME!

Had a blast and as usual, the COCSD folks were very welcoming. Route was fun though I did end up with a crack in the windshield somehow. So if anyone has a good recommendation for glass replacement in San Diego I would appreciate the info. Don't want some shady shop messing it up.

Now on to Chuckwalla next weekend to see how the Camaro handles. something tells me the K1 carts stick a little better.
Try Safelite Glass (www.safelite.com 1-855-286-5819). Go online and get an online quote first, then call them, tell them you are in the military and you are not going through your insurance company. Ask if they can cut you a discount or some type of savings. They are one of the preferred vendors for USAA. They replaced the windshield on my TSX, then a year later, it cracked (on the inside, not a rock hit) and they replaced it for free. Lifetime guarantee - except for external damage.

Good Luck!

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS 6M IBM
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Try Safelite Glass (www.safelite.com 1-855-286-5819). Go online and get an online quote first, then call them, tell them you are in the military and you are not going through your insurance company. Ask if they can cut you a discount or some type of savings. They are one of the preferred vendors for USAA. They replaced the windshield on my TSX, then a year later, it cracked (on the inside, not a rock hit) and they replaced it for free. Lifetime guarantee - except for external damage.

Good Luck!
They are coming to try and fix it today. If not then we'll be stuck replacing it.