Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #76
CommandoSS

Drives: 05 Chevy Avalanche, 67 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxsX24 View Post
that battery was the original battery in a 1991 gmc syclone, so it was produced in 1990-1991
Probably different times for AC Delco from a quality perspective. I'm talking based on new batteries acquired between 2002 and 2005.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #77
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
wow a camaro in Hanford, to bad my first time seeing it was in the shop, however I had the opportunity to meet Bumleb and her family, awesome people.

I will post some pictures as soon as Bumleb sees this post and gives me permission to do so.

Nonetheless it seams the wires where touching the started got burnt and thus caused the car to shut down.

for example in this pic.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #78
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
I would love to see pics of the "damage".... something does seem a little strange. Gotta be damaged during install.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #79
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
Well hopefully its not a routing problem and starts showing up on a bunch of them.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #80
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Goodness sakes. I am sitting here shaking my head that people are obsessing over 24 miles on a car at delivery.

Good Lord, that is unblievable. If my dealer puts 50 miles on my car and everything works right when I take delivery, it is not an issue for me. Maybe I am not as out there as some. But this seems a bit over the top.

But then again, I put over 30k miles on my Grand Prix every year.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #81
hotdon

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2012 Durango
I'm glad to hear your baby will be ok. I'm sure you put alot of minds at ease since it wasn't anything major. Thanks for sharing your experience
hotdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #82
69er

Drives: 69 Z/28 , 83 Z/28 (L69), 10 2SS CGM
I believe like shnomac77 said, the cable was damaged during installation, or there was actual melting of the insulation.

For the cable to simply wear in this short amount of time, it would have had to been in a major pinching situation. I don't see how even excessive vibration could have done the damage in such a short amount of time.

Also, what about the key not being able to be removed without power? What's the purpose of that design?
69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #83
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-er View Post
I believe like shnomac77 said, the cable was damaged during installation, or there was actual melting of the insulation.

For the cable to simply wear in this short amount of time, it would have had to been in a major pinching situation. I don't see how even excessive vibration could have done the damage in such a short amount of time.

Also, what about the key not being able to be removed without power? What's the purpose of that design?
loss of power is not the reason for not being able to remove the key but a result of loss of power to the interlock after the car has been started. My HHR had the interlock switch on the transmission to go out and I could not remove the key as a result. the same thing occures if you were to remove the battery cable after the key was turned to the run position, when you turn you cannot remove it... In an Automatic transmission car The interlock prevents Key removal until the car is in the Park position and the ignition is off..
Instead of doing it Mechanically like in the old days with Column Shift, it is done with solinoids and relays now...

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #84
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbody ss View Post
Easy fix and glad it wasnt nothing major, probaly a lazy factory worker.
Likely a harried assembler, with 8 pairs of management eyes boring a hole through his/her skull, as they were trying to route a 14 foot long battery cable through spaces offering near-zero clearance.

"Lazy". What a dumb-ass comment.
You have no idea how dumb.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #85
cyberbro

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Likely a harried assembler, with 8 pairs of management eyes boring a hole through his/her skull, as they were trying to route a 14 foot long battery cable through spaces offering near-zero clearance.

"Lazy". What a dumb-ass comment.
You have no idea how dumb.
"Lazy" I thought that was a little extreme as well.

As far as the 8 pairs of eyes, that is why I believe middle management should always have as much work to do as the people under them.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #86
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbro View Post
"Lazy" I thought that was a little extreme as well.

As far as the 8 pairs of eyes, that is why I believe middle management should always have as much work to do as the people under them.
I've seen a symbiosis struck at various times.
The freedom to do your job, and cost-effectively too, within your skill level can be very gratifying. Of course it is also one's duty to diligently perform the task at hand in exchange for their pay.
I'm afraid that with GMS, even as standardization is applied, some intangible aspect of craftsmanship is lost. The job elements are sometimes compressed to the point of unnaturalness. Fluidity can be scarce within the footprint of the job.

Every second of your time on-the-line, including the interval between heartbeats, is accounted for now.

This statement of mine, a mixture of observation and opinion, applies to those souls directly involved in bringing the vehicle to 'life' as it were.

[edit] I'm glad yours is almost there for you.

Last edited by Nostromo; 04-28-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: submit addendum
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #87
Stevo

Drives: Camaro 2010 SIM
I can see a long black wire coming from the back of the car that disappears behind the starter but then reappears beside the starter in what seems like a very small passage between the starter and the engine block. This would seem a logical site since routing it on the other side of the starter would put it closer to the exhaust. It will be interesting to see where the dealer places the new cable (presumably if in the same place then it can be assumed that it was the cable at fault and not an improper location). It would be nice to get a pic of the damaged cable to see if the damage was compatible with an inherent cable/insulation defect or an external pinch or crush that corresponds to the tight spot. A car that unexpectedly stops suddenly is very dangerous...wonder if the V6 cable would be routed similarly...
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #88
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
Nonetheless it seams the wires where touching the started got burnt and thus caused the car to shut down.
Wires touching a starter will not get burnt, there's no current flow through the wire's insulation. Wore through the insulation because of touching? No, at the length of that run, it should be a minimum of 4 gauge cable, and that heavy insulation would not wear through that quickly, even considering the train/truck ride. This was an already damaged cable, a pinched cable, or heat damage. Hopefully we find out.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #89
Bumleb

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Rally Yellow
Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
wow a camaro in Hanford, to bad my first time seeing it was in the shop, however I had the opportunity to meet Bumleb and her family, awesome people.

I will post some pictures as soon as Bumleb sees this post and gives me permission to do so.

for example in this pic.

Caliman, please post. The pic's I have are all fuzzy. But the example you put it exactly it....
Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #90
Bumleb

Shielding got hot and melted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I can see a long black wire coming from the back of the car that disappears behind the starter but then reappears beside the starter in what seems like a very small passage between the starter and the engine block. This would seem a logical site since routing it on the other side of the starter would put it closer to the exhaust. It will be interesting to see where the dealer places the new cable (presumably if in the same place then it can be assumed that it was the cable at fault and not an improper location). It would be nice to get a pic of the damaged cable to see if the damage was compatible with an inherent cable/insulation defect or an external pinch or crush that corresponds to the tight spot. A car that unexpectedly stops suddenly is very dangerous...wonder if the V6 cable would be routed similarly...

They repaired the cable for vehicle moving purposes, of course waiting for a new cable, but yes, that cable. The friction between the cable shielding and the starter, mixed with heat, did it.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #91
Stevo

Drives: Camaro 2010 SIM
Thanks Bumleb for informing us about all this.
When your new cable is installed I hope it has a better fate. Take care.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #92
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumleb View Post
Caliman, please post. The pic's I have are all fuzzy. But the example you put it exactly it....
OK some of the pictures are kinda blurry nonetheless one can tell that the wires where taped so there must have been some damage to them.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #93
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSS View Post
Probably different times for AC Delco from a quality perspective. I'm talking based on new batteries acquired between 2002 and 2005.
i had a customer come in today, with a 02 maliboo boo, bad battery, delco also
FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #94
MRSBMCS

Drives: 06 H3, 07 Chev truck, 10 2SSRS
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if the wire was taped before the damamage, is it possible someone spliced the wire then taped it? I've done simular on our 77 CJ5. But that's a hunting Jeep!
MRSBMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #95
Bumleb

Here is a pic I have

Last edited by Bumleb; 04-28-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Bumleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #96
Bumleb

Repaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSBMCS View Post
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if the wire was taped before the damamage, is it possible someone spliced the wire then taped it? I've done simular on our 77 CJ5. But that's a hunting Jeep!
The material is over the burnt part. The service dept repaired it so that they could move the vehicle. A new cable is on order and I hope for reinforcement even after the cable is replaced.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #97
Bumleb

Bumleb's backend

Not a view I hope to see very ofter. But sure is pretty.....!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #98
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumleb View Post
Not a view I hope to see very ofter. But sure is pretty.....!

You got that right. I tell ya though. I was under mine today checking it out and those mufflers almost look like dual gas tanks. They are huge.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #99
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
sure is clean under there, especially compared to the mustangs i see rolling out (really rusted)
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #100
kmn5

Drives: Lexus SC300
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
Did not know that. Interstate better not screw up a good thing. Optima batteries are about a bullet proof as they get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2LowChevy View Post
To the ones saying that Optima batteries are the way to go, I disagree. Ive went through 2 new red tops and a new yellow top in the past 4 months. I now use Kenetik Batteries. Check them out. Optimas are good but if your going to spend the money, I PROMISE these are way better. I have two on my dually and my little girl watches movies in it all the time at car shows with the stereo up with 3 12"s, 2 amps, mids and highs, and at the end of the day I can get in and start it right up no problem.
just my 2cents
I had an Optima fail after ~12 months (edit: just double checked, it was around 12 months)
When I looked under the hood, the battery case was partially warped, like it was baked in an oven.
I took it back to the Napa store I bought it form, owner said I had to take it up with optima.
I called optima and they said to take it back to the store, after 2 more B.S. run arounds, I said f##k it and bought a new Duralaat battery from Autozone. it's been 4 years now, and that battery is still good!

ps I never shop at napa ever again, even if it is closer to me, I rather drive further to the Autozone
screw nappa and screw optima

Last edited by kmn5; 04-28-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: updated
kmn5 is offline   Reply With Quote