Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
SSSylentZL1
Aggressive ZL1 Driver

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Does the Zl1 have cold air intake?

If not I'm thinking about adding it plus other mods to gain HP and milage
2012 ZL1 #984
Current Mods: Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake, 20%tint all around, 35% windshield, Tinted side markers, Dipped Taillight bezels,emblems, Red interior light

----------------------------------------------------
Future mods:
ARH Headers w/o cats, 3" connection pipes, VMAXX Ported TB, Apex Catch Can
Technostaglia Taillights, Night Owl/ Oracle Halo headlights, Fog light Halos
SSSylentZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Gain mileage? Who buys a $60,000, 580hp muscle car and cares about mileage.

To answer your question, no it does not come equipped with a cold air intake system. It's a box like an ss has. An aftermarket unit my yield a few hp.

Sent from the delivery room!!!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
ZL1 has an improved dual-inlet air box and a resonator-less inlet tube. I don't know that I would consider it cold-air, though, I believe at least one inlet is not in the hot engine compartment. There are no pictures, as of yet, detailing the new system. Traditionally - I believe when someone sees CAI, they think and open-element filter outside of the engine compartment, or one that is in the engine compartment, but sealed to an outside source. ZL1 doesn't have this because of the carbon trap (if I'm not mistaken).

Now... wether-or-not a true CAI would be beneficial remains to be seen. As long as the OEM inlets start from outside of the engine compartment, and so long as the inlet size supports the volume LSA requires for maxium efficiency, I can really see no benefit. Many CAIs aren't tested to the standards GM, and the other OEMs test their systems for water, among other things; noise is the other. I'd be careful of any open-element CAI or otherwise-system.

Where I think there might be a benefit is in the inlet elbow. So long as the airbox and filter volume are sufficient, I'd monitor that tube and make sure it won't suck closed under throttle. There are reports of CTS-Vs that have sucked closed, and I'm sure many ZL1s are going to get pulleys, among other mods', increasing the volume into the motor. I'm going to consider a rigid elbow so I can eliminate this possibility. This is really the biggest concern of the entire intake system I have at this time. Once we get more pictures and details, and ultimately comparisons, I can develop a better opinion.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
cold air intake

I would love a CAI on the ZL1. I couldn't find anyone that makes it yet. I had a K&N on a previous car and it's worth all the money. It improves power, torque and makes the exhaust/intake louder/racier sounding. I was hoping the K&N CAI for the SS will work (+18HP at the wheel) but it doesn't (I spoke with K&N directly). If you look carefully, the box looks the same but the inlet is at an angle on the ZL1 engine, vs. straight out on the SS. Henessey makes a kit but it comes with other changes that I don't want to make. http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/camaro-zl1.html. I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible.

I really hope K&N comes out with one soon. Let us know if you know of any other ones please. Maybe Hennessey will sell just the CAI soon. They do it for the CTS-V.
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
I would love a CAI on the ZL1. I couldn't find anyone that makes it yet. I had a K&N on a previous car and it's worth all the money. It improves power, torque and makes the exhaust/intake louder/racier sounding. I was hoping the K&N CAI for the SS will work (+18HP at the wheel) but it doesn't (I spoke with K&N directly). If you look carefully, the box looks the same but the inlet is at an angle on the ZL1 engine, vs. straight out on the SS. Henessey makes a kit but it comes with other changes that I don't want to make. http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/camaro-zl1.html. I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible.

I really hope K&N comes out with one soon. Let us know if you know of any other ones please. Maybe Hennessey will sell just the CAI soon. They do it for the CTS-V.
We have plenty in stock for the new ZL1.We also have The New ADM Race scoop that pulls air from outside to the filter......We do not get our air from under the hood.

You must call to place your orders.

Google - ADM ZL1

Here is a link when I google ADM ZL1 under images -

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&g...OKa02gXv0pT-Bw
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Excuse me, please, Andy, but I don't recall if you guys went with a 2300 or 1900... I ask, because in one of the images, it looks like the snout off a 2300. Why that's relavent, is because I believe the angle of the dangle for the TB is different for the 1900. I gotta' have another look at that build
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #138
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Excuse me, please, Andy, but I don't recall if you guys went with a 2300 or 1900... I ask, because in one of the images, it looks like the snout off a 2300. Why that's relavent, is because I believe the angle of the dangle for the TB is different for the 1900. I gotta' have another look at that build
1900 from the ZL1
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote