Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Why flat black stripes?

I ordered a victory red with black rally stripe 2ss in Feb. I made my decision after seeing a 1970 chevelle in the same color combo, it looks classic. However, the pics of the black stripes have slowly been popping up and the stripes are matte! Why did GM decide to go this route when all the other stripe packages are glossy? It looks ok, but nowhere near as good as it could have. I'm really disappointed about this. I wanted to have mine painted originally but wasnt sure that the painter could get the radius on the outside edges so I ordered the decals. I heard these can be cleared over. Would this give me the gloss black look I am after or would it just give me a slightly less matte look? I'm really bumming, not happy at all.
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk1 View Post
I ordered a victory red with black rally stripe 2ss in Feb. I made my decision after seeing a 1970 chevelle in the same color combo, it looks classic. However, the pics of the black stripes have slowly been popping up and the stripes are matte! Why did GM decide to go this route when all the other stripe packages are glossy? It looks ok, but nowhere near as good as it could have. I'm really disappointed about this. I wanted to have mine painted originally but wasnt sure that the painter could get the radius on the outside edges so I ordered the decals. I heard these can be cleared over. Would this give me the gloss black look I am after or would it just give me a slightly less matte look? I'm really bumming, not happy at all.
Don't let them put the stripes on when you take delivery. You can get them painted on to be glossy like SOOCH's. I really like the look of mine, but I can understand how you'd prefer it to be glossy.

As to why GM did it, I can only suppose it is because of cost.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
Don't let them put the stripes on when you take delivery. You can get them painted on to be glossy like SOOCH's. I really like the look of mine, but I can understand how you'd prefer it to be glossy.

As to why GM did it, I can only suppose it is because of cost.
I would like to get them painted, but with no availability to stencils I am not very confident that the painter could get the outside radius of the stripe correct, and identical from side to side. I do like the look of your car, it is sharp, so I hope I didn't offend you or anything, I'm just more a fan of the glossy look.

Last edited by ctk1; 04-28-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Tanner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I was back and forth on this at first. Then my family members did a secret vote and every one of them voted for the matte black. One of the comments that was made was that you loose the stripes in the VR if the stripes are glossy black. The matte black stripes stood out. They also said stuff like it has a mean or tough look with the matte black. I think yellow and IOM would look better with glossy stripes and the darker colors would look better with matte black. Just my 2 cents. I'm sticking with the matte black.

Sands - Surprise
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
Any painter can paint the stripes on and get the radius right. You dont have to have a stencil for it and if the painter you are using sais he does need a stencil then you dont want to use him anyway. Plus you could mix up your own color and add metallic or what ever if you wanted a truly custom look instead of stock looking stripes. I have an Inferno orange car on the way with the matte hockey and hood stripes. I think they make the car look mean. In about a year I will have the car completly custom painted but for now I am going to....well....youll see. Its definetly going to be sweet!
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk1 View Post
I would like to get them painted, but with no availability to stencils I am not very confident that the painter could get the outside radius of the stripe correct, and identical from side to side. I do like the look of your car, it is sharp, so I hope I didn't offend you or anything, I'm just more a fan of the glossy look.

Any custom painter worth a dime will be able to get the stripes right. If you're really worried about it, tell him you want to see it all taped off before he actually sprays the paint.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Any idea what the reasoning could have been to make ONLY the black stripes matte?
Old 04-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
At first I thought the matte was really lame, but then I saw it on the cars in pics and videos and realised it's actually bada$$! So going with the vinyl matte black stripes on my Rally Yellow
Old 04-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Good discussion. I am planing on the classic stripes as well. Am leaning toward painted gloss black or dark charcoal on hood and rear deck/spoiler on my silver car plus the rear top bumper and between taillights as well. OR do it all in matt black. I do want it to be consistant.
GM 3.91 Rear Gears
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
I just sent off a request for a quote today. Told them I want the exact look but with glossy black paint instead of matte. Should hear from them tomorrow with the quote.
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
ctk1
Camarofanatic

I just got off the phone with 2 Chevy Dealer bodyshops. Great news. $400-$600!!! That price is based on them removing the hood and trunklid. scuffing them. Taping and painting the stripes, includeing over the back of the spoiler. Clearing the hood and trunk and wetsanding/buffing. Basically the same price as the stickers but I can get my Gloss Black stripes, and they will be permanent! My mind is made up. Calling to cancel my decals at lunchtime.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:50 AM   #12
ELM2010

Drives: SS RS Victory Red Black Stripes
Oh crud... I'm glad I saw this though... better make up my mind about black vs glossy... Hey... what about waxing the car? If theyre matte, do I have to avoid getting wax on it??
ELM2010 is offline   Reply With Quote