Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #76
TFord
Camaro Fanatic
 
TFord's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,812
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
hey Im curious, all you experienced manual guys and gals can you give me some pros and cons for choosing a manual over an automatic?
__________________
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #77
CaptianSam
Car Garage
 
CaptianSam's Avatar
 
Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: north west
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
hey Im curious, all you experienced manual guys and gals can you give me some pros and cons for choosing a manual over an automatic?
pros
better gas milage, cost less to fix, more control of car, faster accelleration,
wont be called a noob lol, feels better and more fun to drive

cons
long time to be perfect shifter (about a year), annoying in traffic(although i love traffic with manual you never have to brake), harder to drive in the snow, just the use of your right arm and left foot... cant change the radio every 3 seconds...
__________________
2012 2SS RS Ordered
Black on Black 6 speed Coupe Artic Lid Stripes
Yes I Supercharge Everything

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #78
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,298
Pros: quicker shifts (at least IMO - I know some will say it's proven that it's quicker w/ auto), better gas mileage is right, better control in everyday driving and in racing, more "connected" feel to the car, admiration of all your friends who wished the would have gotten a stick but ended up w/ an auto!! Not all car theives know how to drive stick.

Cons: Clutch problems (lots of stories that say they go out at or around 60K, scratching the gears can lead to fatal tranny problems, stick makes it pretty difficult to drive if you have a hurt leg or arm (clutch and shifter), driving in stop and go traffic for 2 hours in Austin SUCKS.

In my experience (and this is me ONLY), I'd say that manuals don't last as long as autos. I've already had two manuals rebuilt...and no autos in my 3 Camaros.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #79
CaptianSam
Car Garage
 
CaptianSam's Avatar
 
Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: north west
Posts: 832
really??? maybe its a japanese thing... my 350z is on original clutch at 220000 km... no problems ... and i drive that hard.... the new 302 68 is stock everything at 120000...lol but tire smoking = less clutch life
but yea i guess autos last longer... any newer-ish car should never have auto tranny problems
__________________
2012 2SS RS Ordered
Black on Black 6 speed Coupe Artic Lid Stripes
Yes I Supercharge Everything

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #80
MTron
 
Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 334
I really want a manual tranny, i have my aunts 97 Tiburon to learn on!, my only concern/reservation is stop and go traffic on a steep hill, and take-offs.

The hill starts i could see as just a matter of skill of the right amt of gas when u switch from brake/clutch to gas/clutch

As for the take-offs, im not sure how well ittl work, in my auto i can get a good rolling start and just giver, or i can just hold the brake and rev the engine to 2000 rpm, let go of the brake and i take-off like a mofo....how would i go about getting such good take-off in a manual??
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #81
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
It goes from 1st to 4th to save gas at under 15 mph. But, a skip shift eliminator at $15.00 takes care of that problem.

This one could have it, but someone will quickly sell the sse.
15 bucks tag? i coulda done it for you for 50 cents...lol all it is is a resistor


Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Pros: quicker shifts (at least IMO - I know some will say it's proven that it's quicker w/ auto), better gas mileage is right, better control in everyday driving and in racing, more "connected" feel to the car, admiration of all your friends who wished the would have gotten a stick but ended up w/ an auto!! Not all car theives know how to drive stick.

Cons: Clutch problems (lots of stories that say they go out at or around 60K, scratching the gears can lead to fatal tranny problems, stick makes it pretty difficult to drive if you have a hurt leg or arm (clutch and shifter), driving in stop and go traffic for 2 hours in Austin SUCKS.

In my experience (and this is me ONLY), I'd say that manuals don't last as long as autos. I've already had two manuals rebuilt...and no autos in my 3 Camaros.
good pros and cons list tag. and I will tell you that a built auto will shift faster than a manual. however stock to stock, the driver can shift manual over a stock auto anyday. but if you wanna go equally... say you get a centerforce clutch...ill get a shift kit. ill guarantee you ill shift faster... or hell, i could go with a manual valve body (which is in the works...lol) and shift a whole hell of a lot faster. basically instead of having to push the clutch in, then put it in gear then dump the clutch i just pop it into the next gear.

now as far as rebuilding them, an auto works thru fluid dynamics whereas a manual goes thru direct engagement. this allows the auto not to be pushed past its breaking point cus the fluid can give a lil (which is why they also show as having less hp on the dyno) tho the manual, when you redline clutch dump... isht is going to break. simply put. granted you can do that in an auto by putting it in neutral, running it up in the rpms then popping it into drive. but thats a good way to blow a torque converter or a driveshaft (in either tranny setup)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTron View Post
I really want a manual tranny, i have my aunts 97 Tiburon to learn on!, my only concern/reservation is stop and go traffic on a steep hill, and take-offs.

The hill starts i could see as just a matter of skill of the right amt of gas when u switch from brake/clutch to gas/clutch

As for the take-offs, im not sure how well ittl work, in my auto i can get a good rolling start and just giver, or i can just hold the brake and rev the engine to 2000 rpm, let go of the brake and i take-off like a mofo....how would i go about getting such good take-off in a manual??
rev to 2300k then dump the clutch while continuing to hit the gas.

for hills and whatnot, you could set the parking brake then as you start to take off, release it, but thats more for when you learn how to hold a manual car on a hill. you could also let the clutch out slightly so its partially engaging to keep yourself on the hill, but be forwarned, repeated use of that technique can lead to premature clutch failure.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.

Last edited by CamaroSpike23; 02-29-2008 at 07:33 PM.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #82
bouncertime
Miller High Life
 
bouncertime's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Silverado and 2007 Cobalt SS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianne View Post
Teach her!
She doesn't want to learn, plus if I buy a stick, I won't have to worry about her stealing my car.
__________________
Jimmy
bouncertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #83
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper
 
Kyle2k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 3,250
I don't know if anyone has brought this point up, but if you are even remotely serious about drag racing you would get an auto...PROFESSIONALS use automatic trannies in their cars...plus it is consistent...You will know what your going to run and what you are capable of...you wont run a 13.5, then a 12.98...and then a 14 or 15 because u missed a gear, etc, etc, excuses, excuses....
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #84
Emu the Foo
 
Emu the Foo's Avatar
 
Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 328
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
pros use the same type of clutch/ tranny as in a weed whacker. uses weights and springs. nessasarily an auto but yeah. excuse me if i misspelled anything
__________________
I JUST WANT MY 400+ HORSES
Emu the Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #85
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper
 
Kyle2k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 3,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
pros use the same type of clutch/ tranny as in a weed whacker. uses weights and springs. nessasarily an auto but yeah. excuse me if i misspelled anything
Haha, your spelling looks good but a little grammar would be appreciated.
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:30 AM   #86
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
I don't know if anyone has brought this point up, but if you are even remotely serious about drag racing you would get an auto...PROFESSIONALS use automatic trannies in their cars...plus it is consistent...You will know what your going to run and what you are capable of...you wont run a 13.5, then a 12.98...and then a 14 or 15 because u missed a gear, etc, etc, excuses, excuses....
True. But when one can consistently run almost EXACT times in a manual....THAT'S impressive! My ET's aren't that far off. It's usually 12.90 to 12.93.

But, the time I got my best ET was at Super Chevy Show. Very first race....BIG bummer...dialed in at 12.90 thinking I wouldn't break it . For some reason (think it was the weather...and maybe a lil good driving), I completely broke out...12.74. Sure, I was pissed at getting bumped out right off the bat, but that was the best time I ever got. I couldn't believe it!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #87
blindingillusion
 
blindingillusion's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Morgantown WV
Posts: 196
Manual for sure. I love driving stick, even just for short trips and basic things when most people would love a auto. Especially in my town. New jersey guido punks beside you in their ricers... it is going to be so nice to grab a gear and leave them in my tire smoke....

I will admit that I am going to have to borrow my brothers saturn to start practicing up on double clutching and heal-toe. Never was any good a those.. but I have a feeling I am giong to want to learn em better.
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #88
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
True. But when one can consistently run almost EXACT times in a manual....THAT'S impressive! My ET's aren't that far off. It's usually 12.90 to 12.93.

But, the time I got my best ET was at Super Chevy Show. Very first race....BIG bummer...dialed in at 12.90 thinking I wouldn't break it . For some reason (think it was the weather...and maybe a lil good driving), I completely broke out...12.74. Sure, I was pissed at getting bumped out right off the bat, but that was the best time I ever got. I couldn't believe it!


tag, you need to be in the 11's with that car... have you ran it with slicks?
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:34 AM   #89
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,298
^That would be a negative. That 12.74 was w/ my old Z28. The best I've gone in the SS was 12.88, but I've only taken it to the track once. I'm sure I could beat that w/ a few more attempts and cooperative weather.

I would like to try slicks. I KNOW that 60ft time will drop significantly w/ them. On top of that, I'd need to drop some weight...take out my spare tire, jack, passenger and rear seats, etc. Yeah...I could easily drop it. But, I also don't want to rag it out as the SS is my daily driver. I'd HATE to break something, ya know!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #90
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
^That would be a negative. That 12.74 was w/ my old Z28. The best I've gone in the SS was 12.88, but I've only taken it to the track once. I'm sure I could beat that w/ a few more attempts and cooperative weather.

I would like to try slicks. I KNOW that 60ft time will drop significantly w/ them. On top of that, I'd need to drop some weight...take out my spare tire, jack, passenger and rear seats, etc. Yeah...I could easily drop it. But, I also don't want to rag it out as the SS is my daily driver. I'd HATE to break something, ya know!

What kinda rear do you have? 10 bolt? what kinda gears?
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #91
WillInThe04Ranger
 
WillInThe04Ranger's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Posts: 684
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
It's not about going faster for me either, but what the heck...

As long as the auto has paddle shifters, I'm happy.
haha AMEN BROTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It's Nowhere near the same thing...
the auto-paddle shift transmission that GM has in the Vette, is still an automatic transmission at heart. You can just control it now.

The Ferrari, on the other hand, uses a DCT (dual clutch transmission). Where it's core is a manual-style transmission, but it's automated when you want it to be. howstuffworks.com has a real great intro on it. There's just too much to it for my poor little fingers to type out here
I think the paddles would be awesome, especially for me if I wanted to shift instead of it auto shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
It goes from 1st to 4th to save gas at under 15 mph. But, a skip shift eliminator at $15.00 takes care of that problem.

This one could have it, but someone will quickly sell the sse.
^^^^^^^ Truth
__________________
America's Manififest Destiny, Rollin On Radials
WillInThe04Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #92
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
What kinda rear do you have? 10 bolt? what kinda gears?
Stock rear end...don't know the gear ratio. I don't think the first owner opted for 4.10's or anything.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #93
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
IMHO -

Auto: "better" at the 1320 (if you want consistancy, auto is the way to go) with a big stall {I've gone a 1.6X 60' and 12.6 @ 108 with only intake, catback, and tune with the stall at 3900 lbs. race weight (and that's with banging into the rev' limiter a few times at the top of second gear easier to drive in traffic; more messy to service; tranny cooler needed; not as fun as a manual - period

Manual: More fun drive; clutch can be a PITA to change; PITA in traffic; powershifting is just plain rad; not everyone can drive one

Those are just a few I can think of. My LT1 was an M6 and I loved it. My LS1 is stalled and I love it at the track. I think I could've knocked a couple more tenths off my 12.6 with the manifolds. I'm gunning for low-12s with my LTs though; maybe a high-11 with weight reduction
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #94
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember
 
The_Beast_'s Avatar
 
Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 1,168
Im getting the Auto cause I live in LA so traffic is a real bitch but i plan on following my brothers footsteps.

my dad got him a 07 mustang V6 w/ th epony packages and a little more under the hood than base, from my uncle, basicaly new and its auto. he usesit every day in LA traffic so its good. But when he gets to age 21 in
2010, he plans on trading it in for the new 2010 mustang GT, STICK.

The same year he gets his GT, when im finishing up my second semester of senior year at high school, I plan on doing the same except im going with the camaro. Getting the V6 auto then when im on my own two feet im going with the SS or the king of the crop camaro stick.


PS i think is would be easier to give advise if we knew what area you lived in.
I live in Glendale CA and im 5 min away from Downtown LA. only thing is the traffic is worse!


!!!BTW IM 15 w/ my license only 5 months away and ive actually been driving for i think since i was 13. I guess its cuz im Armenian...
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #95
blindingillusion
 
blindingillusion's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Morgantown WV
Posts: 196
... Not to be mean, but damn I hate kids whose parents buy them their first car. You will ever learn to respect a car until you put your own blood, sweat, and tears into one.
__________________
Ordered:
2010 Black 2SS/RS
-CGM Ralley Stripes
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels



Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #96
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper
 
Kyle2k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 3,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindingillusion View Post
... Not to be mean, but damn I hate kids whose parents buy them their first car. You will ever learn to respect a car until you put your own blood, sweat, and tears into one.

To each their own, are you sure its not the fact that you didn't get the car bought for you? I didn't work in high school, so that means I don't know how to work and I'll grow up lazy? No, I am the one getting the grades in college, going for med school, the rest are alcoholic business majors, barely passing classes (nothing agaisnt business, its just the way it is here it seems). And now I am working, guess I didn't grow up that bad after all, pfft.
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #97
blindingillusion
 
blindingillusion's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Morgantown WV
Posts: 196
Graduating with Honors in May with a degree in Software Engineer. Working for Lockheed Martin already as a Software Engineer.

I am not jealous because my cars aren't bought for me. It just makes me angry that parents blow money on a great car for a kid to ruin in three years before it is even paid off. I have seen this way to many times.
__________________
Ordered:
2010 Black 2SS/RS
-CGM Ralley Stripes
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels



Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #98
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper
 
Kyle2k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 3,250
I agree with you there, I believe that they should respect the cars. Which some don't. But crashing it or getting in a wreck is more of a 1st car thing rather than disrespect or not appreciating what they have. Which I really honestly can say, up here, I never see.
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #99
EllwynX


 
EllwynX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindingillusion View Post
... Not to be mean, but damn I hate kids whose parents buy them their first car. You will ever learn to respect a car until you put your own blood, sweat, and tears into one.
I think you should say you hate when their parents buy them a new or high priced car. (From what you say in your next post.)

My parents bought my first car. 1982 Camaro Berlinetta for $2468. I respected the car due to the fact I KNEW I couldn't afford to buy myself another one if I wrecked it. It's all in how the kid(s) were raised...
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #100
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,817
I gotta say, I hate it when parents buy their kids insanely expensive cars too. Half the students at my college are settling for the C class Mercs, low level Porsches, 3 series, and Priuses that their parents bought for them instead of the E classes, 911s, M3s, and hybrid LSs that they "deserve". I gotta say though, I can't wait to see how they cope when mommy and daddy aren't there to spoon feed them caviar anymore.

My parents put the down payment on my first car so that I could drive it to a job to get the money for the monthly payments. They were even nice enough to chip in a little to take a couple bucks off the gas and insurance bills. I don't see it as a matter of learning to take care of a car. I see it as a matter of learning about money. in a day and age when the average American has more debt than they could ever pay off, I have one car paid off, another nearly right side up on its loan (after just over a year) zero credit card debt, a small amount of student loans (because my parents were kind enough to pay for most of my tuition) and I live 100% within my means, all while going to college full time and getting married in 2 months (OK, my parents are chipping in to help pay for the rehearsal dinner and flowers too). I'm not saying you can't do that if your parents bought everything for you, but it has taught me a lot about how to afford things and how to recognize to budget so I can afford to live within my own means.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pricing Speculation of the 5th gen - (not actual) CamaroSpike23 Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 281 01-17-2009 06:22 PM
Manuals are faster? AirGoya Off-topic Discussions 42 03-05-2008 06:19 AM
Transmissions...? Kenz Camaro 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 129 11-04-2007 01:08 AM
Camaro Manual Transmission LSxcellent 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 17 08-01-2007 05:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.