Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-19-2008, 12:30 AM   #151
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
thats why you have paddle shifting. keep it in the gear you want without needing to spend the extra second to pop the clutch and downshift.

ive removed the abs from my computers programing for just that same reason, when i know im going to slide, i am preparing to handle the car for a slide when my brakes lock, but when my abs is kickin on and off, it throws me off. and pisses me off
I drove a BMW 7 series and the paddle shifters on that car were useless - slow to react - unintuitive.

But if they get it quick - and I know Camaro will have a display showing what gear you're in - I'm gonna think about an automatic.

I know what you mean about ABS. It does not feel natural and can be downright startling in an emergency braking situation. It lowers braking performance in snow.

But, I have had it save my entire family's life. In a panic situation, you don't modulate - you apply full braking -most people do. If you skid you can't turn well, and I was able to steer out of a wreck with maximum braking applied.

You probably knew this. Maybe a car with less obtrusive ABS would help. They differ greatly.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:49 AM   #152
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
In normal driving, ABS helps a TON in emergency situations. However, they do seem to be a little iffy when you're intentionally pushing the car. There's a great cloverleaf getting onto the freeway going home from work, and if there isn't a line of cars I'll push it a bit (just to make sure the Nittos are still stickier than the stock tires, right?), but if the metering light is on at the bottom and I brake before I'm all straightened out, the electronic nannies are very not happy. I mean I know you always want to brake in straight line when you're pushing it, but you'd think I was attempting to J-turn it or something the way they nag. And with the peddle pulsing and getting a bit of a slow-surge-slow-surge pattern, it does feel disconnected and unnatural.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #153
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
I must be a real oddball...

I'm very happy with the 4L60E automatic in my GMC. I can give it a decent amount of gas and enjoy the engine's low-end torque without having to wind it out to 5,000 rpm, or I can drop the hammer and have it downshift WAY faster than I can shift a manual transmission. There's no need to shift ahead of time, though if I wanted to I certainly could; the column shifter gets it in gear quickly enough, faster than the tranny in some cars equipped with paddle shifters, and certainly fast enough when we're talking about shifting ahead of time.

I'm also very happy with ABS in general. When there's an emergency bad enough that I would need to pump the brakes, my foot is too busy trying to stop the car ASAP to pump the pedal. My only complaint is the occasional false alarm after going over a bump under heavy braking (which can be remedied by a single release and re-application of the brake) and sometimes I'd rather have a total skid for slightly better stopping power in semi-slippery conditions. I suppose I could rig up a button to press during those maneuvers that would cut off power to the ABS...
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #154
ChrisB

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Its Automatic or nothing for me
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #155
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I must be a real oddball...

I'm very happy with the 4L60E automatic in my GMC. I can give it a decent amount of gas and enjoy the engine's low-end torque without having to wind it out to 5,000 rpm, or I can drop the hammer and have it downshift WAY faster than I can shift a manual transmission. There's no need to shift ahead of time, though if I wanted to I certainly could; the column shifter gets it in gear quickly enough, faster than the tranny in some cars equipped with paddle shifters, and certainly fast enough when we're talking about shifting ahead of time.
I agree the 4L60E is a great automatic trans....and its great to modify. the auto in my old camaro would give you whiplash the shifts were so quick and tight.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #156
z28collection
waiting for 5th gen

Drives: 99 z28 6 speed, 81 z28 auto
mt or at

im new to the forum but real sports cars have manual trannys its the way to go.i own one auto car its my 81 z28 and the only reason i got it is because it was a steal.
z28collection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #157
Shadowsong

Drives: 2005 Mustang
Well...actually, 'real' sports cars are moving towards Twin clutch semi-automatic transmissions. You can shift with paddles if you feel the need, no clutch petal, but you can let the computer shift for you if you don't feel like pulling the paddle on the steering wheel.

The GT-R has it, Ferrari has had it for years, the Evo X MR has it, did I mention F1 Cars have been using this for years as well?
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #158
z28collection
waiting for 5th gen

Drives: 99 z28 6 speed, 81 z28 auto
mt or at

im not saying autos are bad for sports cars, there is just something about being a little bit more connected to the car. i love being able to drive the car, my wifes 05 4 runner i hate because it does to much for you and you dont really feel like your driving the car, the computer is. but maybe thats what the masses want.
z28collection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #159
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28collection View Post
im not saying autos are bad for sports cars, there is just something about being a little bit more connected to the car. i love being able to drive the car, my wifes 05 4 runner i hate because it does to much for you and you dont really feel like your driving the car, the computer is. but maybe thats what the masses want.
Definitely agree with that one. Nothing like a perfect rev-match or shift. Although you used to also be able to make the argument that you can shift and accelerate faster rowing your own gears but nowadays with the crazy shifting speed of dual clutch tranny's it's hard to make that side of the argument.
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 AM   #160
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
Well...actually, 'real' sports cars are moving towards Twin clutch semi-automatic transmissions. You can shift with paddles if you feel the need, no clutch petal, but you can let the computer shift for you if you don't feel like pulling the paddle on the steering wheel.

The GT-R has it, Ferrari has had it for years, the Evo X MR has it, did I mention F1 Cars have been using this for years as well?
MR edition is a cosmetics package. The Evo X has it.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #161
Shadowsong

Drives: 2005 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
MR edition is a cosmetics package. The Evo X has it.
Nope, the GSR has a manual transmission, the MR has the Twin clutch, better suspension etc., Trust me on this one I've been watching the Evo carefully.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #162
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I thought this was a Camaro forum...
j/k
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote