Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
njdad61
 
njdad61's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 45th Ann. 2SS Coupe, '79 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dixon, Missouri
Posts: 576
BMR Split Drop front passenger side 3/4" too high

Installed the BMR Split Drop Springs today. I measured from the ground to the fender and the passenger front is higher than it should be. The driver front is just over 28" and the passenger front is 28 3/4". Both of the rears are 29". It might be the bushing index, but I timed the bushings by loosening the required bolts and bouncing it with my full weight a few times. Should I have driven around the block with the bolts loose or something? I expect it to settle a little more but if both sides settle equally it'll still be off. I haven't gotten an alignment yet but even if it's horribly screwed up could it cause that much of a difference? Is there anything I should double check that might cause this?

Has anyone else measured their cars with either the 1.4" or 1" BMR Drop Springs? Thanks!
__________________
2012 45th Anniversary Edition 2SS LS3
CFM Painted Heritage Grille, JRE Custom Tune, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT Headers w/ Catless Midpipes, Borla S-Type Catback, RotoFab CAI, ADM Race Scoop, ADM W/W Reservoir Relocation Kit, MGW Short Throw Shifter, BMR Split Drop Springs(1/4" front/1" rear), BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, 6000k HID Bulbs, AAC P13W Plasma LED DRLs, AAC ABL Interior Lighting Kit (Dome/Footwells/Trunk), RPI Designs Charcoal Sidemarker Covers
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
nebchevy
 
nebchevy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Blair Nebraska
Posts: 597
Maybe the ground/driveway is uneven??
nebchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
njdad61
 
njdad61's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 45th Ann. 2SS Coupe, '79 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dixon, Missouri
Posts: 576
It seems pretty flat but I wouldn't think it would make 3/4" of difference, especially since the rears are the same...
__________________
2012 45th Anniversary Edition 2SS LS3
CFM Painted Heritage Grille, JRE Custom Tune, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT Headers w/ Catless Midpipes, Borla S-Type Catback, RotoFab CAI, ADM Race Scoop, ADM W/W Reservoir Relocation Kit, MGW Short Throw Shifter, BMR Split Drop Springs(1/4" front/1" rear), BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, 6000k HID Bulbs, AAC P13W Plasma LED DRLs, AAC ABL Interior Lighting Kit (Dome/Footwells/Trunk), RPI Designs Charcoal Sidemarker Covers
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: overseas
Posts: 3,486
Is it clocked and seated properly in the mount?
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
nebchevy
 
nebchevy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Blair Nebraska
Posts: 597
I would double check the spring on that side to see if its seated like the dude above me said. Then check ur indexin again??
nebchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
njdad61
 
njdad61's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 45th Ann. 2SS Coupe, '79 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dixon, Missouri
Posts: 576
Well, I checked the TMPS on the Onstar App on my phone and my tire pressure is pretty low. The driver side is 27 and the others are 30/31, so that's probably part of why the driver side is measuring is measuring 1" lower than the rear instead of .4" like it should be with the split drop. I measured from the bottom of the rim to the fender and it's 3/8" lower than the passenger side instead of 3/4". Cut out half the tire measurement and the difference cut in half. Makes sense! About to go air the tires up then measure again. TMPS SUCKS! The driver side was at 30, the rest at 32, so I aired them all up to 36. Negligible change in ride height...

Also, I have exactly 1/4" of bolt sticking out of the nut above the strut tower cap under the hood. Same on each side so that's not the problem... The only things I can think of other than air pressure are:

1. The bushings need to be re-indexed, even though I loosened them alot and bounced the s*** out of the car.

2. I received one 1.4" spring and one 1" spring. I'll have to jack it up so be able to check out the model #s on the springs so I'll check that tomorrow. (Should have done it today... )

3. The alignment is just that screwed up.

4. The spring isn't seated correctly, although it was perfect when I put the wheel back on. I was able to shine the light at the right angle through the wheels and both springs are seated perfectly.
__________________
2012 45th Anniversary Edition 2SS LS3
CFM Painted Heritage Grille, JRE Custom Tune, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT Headers w/ Catless Midpipes, Borla S-Type Catback, RotoFab CAI, ADM Race Scoop, ADM W/W Reservoir Relocation Kit, MGW Short Throw Shifter, BMR Split Drop Springs(1/4" front/1" rear), BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, 6000k HID Bulbs, AAC P13W Plasma LED DRLs, AAC ABL Interior Lighting Kit (Dome/Footwells/Trunk), RPI Designs Charcoal Sidemarker Covers

Last edited by njdad61; 02-18-2012 at 11:25 PM.
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
nebchevy
 
nebchevy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Blair Nebraska
Posts: 597
Dude i feel u.. i am getting ready to buy my 1"bmr so we will see how it goes
nebchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
njdad61
 
njdad61's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 45th Ann. 2SS Coupe, '79 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dixon, Missouri
Posts: 576
Edited post #6 with results.
__________________
2012 45th Anniversary Edition 2SS LS3
CFM Painted Heritage Grille, JRE Custom Tune, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT Headers w/ Catless Midpipes, Borla S-Type Catback, RotoFab CAI, ADM Race Scoop, ADM W/W Reservoir Relocation Kit, MGW Short Throw Shifter, BMR Split Drop Springs(1/4" front/1" rear), BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, 6000k HID Bulbs, AAC P13W Plasma LED DRLs, AAC ABL Interior Lighting Kit (Dome/Footwells/Trunk), RPI Designs Charcoal Sidemarker Covers
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
njdad61
 
njdad61's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 45th Ann. 2SS Coupe, '79 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dixon, Missouri
Posts: 576
Here's some pics of the difference:

Driver Front


Passenger Front


Driver Rear


Passenger Rear
__________________
2012 45th Anniversary Edition 2SS LS3
CFM Painted Heritage Grille, JRE Custom Tune, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT Headers w/ Catless Midpipes, Borla S-Type Catback, RotoFab CAI, ADM Race Scoop, ADM W/W Reservoir Relocation Kit, MGW Short Throw Shifter, BMR Split Drop Springs(1/4" front/1" rear), BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, 6000k HID Bulbs, AAC P13W Plasma LED DRLs, AAC ABL Interior Lighting Kit (Dome/Footwells/Trunk), RPI Designs Charcoal Sidemarker Covers
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,816
Have you driven it yet? If you just lowered your car and haven't driven it yet you may have one side more loaded than the other. If you have driven it and just parked it, make sure you were driving straight when you park. If I come into my garage while the wheels are turned, then stop and straighten the wheels the car will be leaning to one side because of the way I drove it into the garage.

Even if they did send you two different size front springs the difference would probably be 1/4". Did you measure the ride height before the spring swap? Maybe that side was higher before you even started.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
njdad61
 
njdad61's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 45th Ann. 2SS Coupe, '79 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dixon, Missouri
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Have you driven it yet? If you just lowered your car and haven't driven it yet you may have one side more loaded than the other. If you have driven it and just parked it, make sure you were driving straight when you park. If I come into my garage while the wheels are turned, then stop and straighten the wheels the car will be leaning to one side because of the way I drove it into the garage.

Even if they did send you two different size front springs the difference would probably be 1/4". Did you measure the ride height before the spring swap? Maybe that side was higher before you even started.
I didn't measure but looking at photos I took before the install they were the same height. I've driven just a few miles since I don't have an alignment yet. I do turn left to park then straighten the wheels and pull forward a few feet but I don't see how it could make 3/4" of difference. I keep running the install back through my head but can't think of anything that would change ride height. The spindles were marked when taking out the 2 bolts and they still match up on both sides. Under the hood there is approx. 1/4" of thread sticking out when the little plastic cap is removed, same on both sides. Everything was done to the letter with BMR's instructions. I'm just going to go to the shop tomorrow and reindex the front bushings by loosening them more than I did today, then pull off the lift and drive around the gravel parking lot a few times. I'm really thinking that's the problem. Either that or BMR sent me 2 different front springs, but I doubt it.

EDIT: After looking at every photo I could find of Camaros with drop springs, the passenger front is definitely the one that is out of place. There should be no where near that much room between the tire and wheel well. I only loosened the front bushings that require indexing a little when it's recommended that they should be almost fully removed so that's where my money's at. Doing it tomorrow then I'll post the results.
__________________
2012 45th Anniversary Edition 2SS LS3
CFM Painted Heritage Grille, JRE Custom Tune, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT Headers w/ Catless Midpipes, Borla S-Type Catback, RotoFab CAI, ADM Race Scoop, ADM W/W Reservoir Relocation Kit, MGW Short Throw Shifter, BMR Split Drop Springs(1/4" front/1" rear), BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, 6000k HID Bulbs, AAC P13W Plasma LED DRLs, AAC ABL Interior Lighting Kit (Dome/Footwells/Trunk), RPI Designs Charcoal Sidemarker Covers

Last edited by njdad61; 02-19-2012 at 12:46 AM.
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdad61 View Post
I didn't measure but looking at photos I took before the install they were the same height. I've driven just a few miles since I don't have an alignment yet. I do turn left to park then straighten the wheels and pull forward a few feet but I don't see how it could make 3/4" of difference. I keep running the install back through my head but can't think of anything that would change ride height. The spindles were marked when taking out the 2 bolts and they still match up on both sides. Under the hood there is approx. 1/4" of thread sticking out when the little plastic cap is removed, same on both sides. Everything was done to the letter with BMR's instructions. I'm just going to go to the shop tomorrow and reindex the front bushings by loosening them more than I did today, then pull off the lift and drive around the gravel parking lot a few times. I'm really thinking that's the problem. Either that or BMR sent me 2 different front springs, but I doubt it.

EDIT: After looking at every photo I could find of Camaros with drop springs, the passenger front is definitely the one that is out of place. There should be no where near that much room between the tire and wheel well. I only loosened the front bushings that require indexing a little when it's recommended that they should be almost fully removed so that's where my money's at. Doing it tomorrow then I'll post the results.
did you make sure you put the isolator back in the driver front strut. That will definitely make it sit 3/4" lower like you have. And no this will have no affect on how much threaded rod sticks out at the top of the strut.

Here is the isolator I'm talking about.




Here is what it should loo like assembled.




SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
njdad61
 
njdad61's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 45th Ann. 2SS Coupe, '79 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dixon, Missouri
Posts: 576
Just got back from the shop. Everything is seated correctly and the springs are the same model. I timed the bushings then measured on the drive-on lift and got 29" for the rears and 28 1/2" for both of the fronts. Perfect! So I drive home and park just like I did last night. 28 3/4" passenger front and 28 1/4" driver front... I measured the rears and the passenger side was about 1/4" higher than the driver side so it must be where I park that's loading the driver side suspension since everything was perfect on a level lift. So I guess I was freaking out over nothing.

That being said, I LOVE the way this looks with the Split Drop! I'll get some pics as soon as I have time to give her a bath. Alignment tomorrow then I'll be set. Thanks for the help!
__________________
2012 45th Anniversary Edition 2SS LS3
CFM Painted Heritage Grille, JRE Custom Tune, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT Headers w/ Catless Midpipes, Borla S-Type Catback, RotoFab CAI, ADM Race Scoop, ADM W/W Reservoir Relocation Kit, MGW Short Throw Shifter, BMR Split Drop Springs(1/4" front/1" rear), BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, 6000k HID Bulbs, AAC P13W Plasma LED DRLs, AAC ABL Interior Lighting Kit (Dome/Footwells/Trunk), RPI Designs Charcoal Sidemarker Covers
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,816
Looks like I called it.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
njdad61
 
njdad61's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 45th Ann. 2SS Coupe, '79 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dixon, Missouri
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Looks like I called it.
Hahaha. Yeah, you sure did! I never really noticed how much my street slopes downward toward my driver's side. The combination of the loaded driver side and unloaded passenger side is what made such a huge difference.

So for anyone else that has this problem and sees this, make sure you are on FLAT, LEVEL GROUND before measuring. It doesn't take much to load the suspension, it seems...
__________________
2012 45th Anniversary Edition 2SS LS3
CFM Painted Heritage Grille, JRE Custom Tune, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT Headers w/ Catless Midpipes, Borla S-Type Catback, RotoFab CAI, ADM Race Scoop, ADM W/W Reservoir Relocation Kit, MGW Short Throw Shifter, BMR Split Drop Springs(1/4" front/1" rear), BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, 6000k HID Bulbs, AAC P13W Plasma LED DRLs, AAC ABL Interior Lighting Kit (Dome/Footwells/Trunk), RPI Designs Charcoal Sidemarker Covers
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat
 
PoleCat2SSRS2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SSRS for weekends mostly
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdad61 View Post
Hahaha. Yeah, you sure did! I never really noticed how much my street slopes downward toward my driver's side. The combination of the loaded driver side and unloaded passenger side is what made such a huge difference.

So for anyone else that has this problem and sees this, make sure you are on FLAT, LEVEL GROUND before measuring. It doesn't take much to load the suspension, it seems...
Absolutely!!! I also learned the hard way. My garage floor drove me crazy while trying to get good measurements.

It is essential to measure off of a smooth and level surface to get consistent and accurate measurements.
PoleCat2SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
BMR guy


 
BMR guy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,097
Sorry I am so late to the party! Glad to hear you got it figured out. As I was reading the thread I was beginning to wonder if you got one 1" front spring on accident. We do all of our measurements on our lift. Even if the ground seems level, it doesn't take much to screw up your measurements (as you discovered). Another thing that effects it is if the wheels are not absolutely straight. With roughly 6.5 degrees of caster stock, any turning of the wheel will effect ride height side-to-side.
Make sure you post some pics of the car, I love the split drop stance.

Thanks SUX2BU for helping out!
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #18
BMR Sales



 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdad61 View Post
Just got back from the shop. Everything is seated correctly and the springs are the same model. I timed the bushings then measured on the drive-on lift and got 29" for the rears and 28 1/2" for both of the fronts. Perfect! So I drive home and park just like I did last night. 28 3/4" passenger front and 28 1/4" driver front... I measured the rears and the passenger side was about 1/4" higher than the driver side so it must be where I park that's loading the driver side suspension since everything was perfect on a level lift. So I guess I was freaking out over nothing.

That being said, I LOVE the way this looks with the Split Drop! I'll get some pics as soon as I have time to give her a bath. Alignment tomorrow then I'll be set. Thanks for the help!
Hey it happens to us all. We are just glad you are happy with the springs and got everything figured out. If there is ever anything else we can do for you let us know.
__________________
Keith Kanyuh
5th Gen Camaro Suspension Specialist
keith@bmrsuspension.com
www.bmrsuspension.com
Like us on Facebook!
BMR Sales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
BuddhaSS
 
BuddhaSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 189
just ordered my set
BuddhaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
BMR Sales



 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaSS View Post
just ordered my set
Awesome!! When you get the springs installed post some pictures up of the car so we can check the new stance it is going to have.
__________________
Keith Kanyuh
5th Gen Camaro Suspension Specialist
keith@bmrsuspension.com
www.bmrsuspension.com
Like us on Facebook!
BMR Sales is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMR SPLIT DROP 160 shipped! JLE58 Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 12 01-26-2012 03:15 PM
CAMARO ZL1 FAQ and INFORMATION radz28 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 280 11-04-2011 01:33 PM
front smoked/clear bumper side markers for sale bowtie628 Exterior Parts & Accessories 8 09-02-2011 12:20 PM
BMR Split Drop Springs BMR guy Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 41 03-25-2011 01:50 PM
ROTORA BIG BRAKE KITS 4-12 PISTONS/ 15" & 16" ROTORS SPECIAL ADKINS PERFORMANCE Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 0 08-03-2010 12:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.