Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #26
427camaro

Drives: 2011 HTR-454SS Camaro, 87 Buick GN
Hi Janet,
I know the LS7 has been mentioned, but I want to chime in here so that you realize it's not just a few people that seek the LS7 in a camaro. There are many, and it would make the Z28 a very special car. I can afford a new SS now, but am holding out for an LS7 Z28. I've been looking at the tuner cars that offer an LS7 conversion (And have driven several), and they are most likely a bit out of my reach right now money wise. An LS7 built camaro from GM would fit many more buyers budgets.

If the LS can not be included in a standard configuration camaro, (IE All Z28's get an LS7), then make it an option I can order with a check box on the order form for a new camaro. GM has many great performance parts available for the camaro, Going with the "check Box" option would allow buyers to build their dream car as they want it. IE --
Check box to add the LS7
Check Box to add ZL1 Drivetrain & Coolers.
Check Box to add Pedders Supercar Coilover Suspension
You get the idea... The more options we can choose from the better.
I'm sure others will post the ideal car we seek in a Z28, but those 3 above are often key options mentioned in the past.

Many here, including me, seek a 5th Gen Z28, but it must be worthy of the Z28 name, not just an SS/LS3 with a few extra bolt on's & Z28 badges, but a real street/track performer.

Thanks
John
427camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #27
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
To me the 1LE as is is pretty close to being worthy of Z28. That's assuming the trans, clutch and rear end are upgraded. I think an LS3 would be fine and if there is a way to mildly bump horsepower I'm all for it. I would love a Camaro with an LS7 but I personally believe it would be hard to build without approaching ZL1 cost. I love the SS but would like something a little more. What I don't want is another supercar Camaro for me to read about and admire without being able to purchase.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #28
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
To me the 1LE as is is pretty close to being worthy of Z28. That's assuming the trans, clutch and rear end are upgraded. I think an LS3 would be fine and if there is a way to mildly bump horsepower I'm all for it. I would love a Camaro with an LS7 but I personally believe it would be hard to build without approaching ZL1 cost. I love the SS but would like something a little more. What I don't want is another supercar Camaro for me to read about and admire without being able to purchase.
The LS3 1LE is not going to do 1320 ft any faster than our SS cars and if we wanted to track our cars, we could Pedderize an SS for cheaper then the LS3 1LE would be priced at. Need the LS7 with the Z/28 badge......

One thing that concerns me is that if a Z/28 does not come out for the 2013 model year and the 1LE does then I have to ask if they are going to bother at all to build a Z/28 for the 5th gen. Assuming that the 6th gen comes out in 2015 as a 2016 model, we are running out of time.

Even if they did, how would a Z/28 differ from a 1LE or a ZL1? The Corvette guys pretty much let it slip that the LS7 won't be around for the C7 Corvette (next year) so if ever there was a time to pursuade the engineering powers that be to hold on to the LS7 until the end of the 5thgen, now is the time to put that engine into a camaro.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Be careful not to let the thread fall off-topic, guys.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #30
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
I would say no MRC on the Z28, it saves us money not to have it since it is not race legal.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #31
Rangore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
What's the price point people are thinking here? The ZL1 is already far beyond the reach of many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Current Mods: EGA on left and right windows - Solo CAT Back - Black CAI - Black Carbon Fiber Bow-tie Vinyl - Switchback LED Turn Signal bulbs - HOD Headlight bulbs - Aqua interior LED bulb - Phoenix Gold iAMP-GM1 sub box w/amp, Lorenzo WL27 wheels
No longer owned: 1993 Camaro Z-28
Rangore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #32
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
What's the price point people are thinking here? The ZL1 is already far beyond the reach of many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Starting at 40-42K range without the leather seats and electronic goodies.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #33
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
This one is easy:

1. Put the car on a serious diet.
2. Build a Z28 using the LS7.
3. Give the ZL1 forged engine internals.
4. Please lose the 20" wheels on any Z28.
5. Include the ZL1 trans/rear end in any Z28.
6. Please listen the the guys who are racing these cars.....don't forget the people who put Camaro on the map.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #34
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
This one is easy:

1. Put the car on a serious diet.
2. Build a Z28 using the LS7.
3. Give the ZL1 forged engine internals.
4. Please lose the 20" wheels on any Z28.
5. Include the ZL1 trans/rear end in any Z28.
6. Please listen the the guys who are racing these cars.....don't forget the people who put Camaro on the map.
As to #1 this cant happen till the 6th gen.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:27 AM   #35
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Light

Stripped down

Small displacement high revving twin turbo V8
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #36
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
but dump the fake mail slot on the Z. Use the V6 or ZL1 front fascia.
Cold air intake slot hood ala 1967 427 Vette..... with hood pins for that "race" feel. Z/28 should have it own unique hood.

Oversize rear axles and tighter suspension, but MR not required. Pedderized OK!

Ditto what Justice Pete said too: square setup on wheels. 19".
Spare from factory OPTION.

Oh yea...... A8 speed tuned hd automatic (option). No flack please (for those who aren't diehard racers and want to avoid GG tax if possible). It will nominally stay in 3 gears around the track and stay in torque zone for those who choose to go off road.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #37
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
NA Engine, hopefully in the 500HP area, suspension from ZL1 would be nice.

Also how well dressed out the car should be options. Many of us would like to have a Z28 with 2SS stuff in it. Not just a stripped down car. Let the customer option out how they want it.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #38
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps69Z View Post
In a 5th gen. please!

+1
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #39
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Janet -- ask the team to give these guys their Z28!!

+1
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #40
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
The "Hot Wheels" hood must be produced!

That is the coolest factory hood I've seen since the muscle car era of the 60's.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #41
CruznSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Camaro ABM - Silver Ralleys
A - Z28, PLEASE.......
1 that us normal people can afford. Race trim suspension, Dovetail spoiler, Deep loud exhaust. Basically, look at what members have had to do to get the camaro where they have thru basic mods to run the tracks. 1/4 mile or road courses & ovals.
But whatever you do, don't change the body. The style of the 5th gen is spot on.

CRUZN-SS VIA tapatalk
Old 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #42
Janet

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 15 Z06, 06 Silverado,
Got them all down, will pass it on. Be back to get more, keep them coming.
Janet
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #43
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Lightweight manual seats, maybe even no console, just a shifter out of the floor and a center mounted tach.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #44
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended

Drives: Daily
At this point, Janet et al, there is little for me to add. The ZEE-folks are genuine, serious intenders. And, to wear that most iconic badge, an LS7 is highly desired...and a most fitting fairwell to this Gen...

We truly appreciate this opportunity to contribute...and our input for Gen-6, when appropriate, would be appreciated, too. By ALL concerned, I believe...

Thanks...one and ALL.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #45
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
At this point, Janet et al, there is little for me to add. The ZEE-folks are genuine, serious intenders. And, to wear that most iconic badge, an LS7 is highly desired...and a most fitting fairwell to this Gen...

We truly appreciate this opportunity to contribute...and our input for Gen-6, when appropriate, would be appreciated, too. By ALL concerned, I believe...

Thanks...one and ALL.
Anything less than LS7 at this point will be a diluted attempt in the eyes of the most loyal. I believe the faithful might just look at a 1LE (LS3)as betrayal if it wore the badge. (Talking 5th Gen Z/28 here). Would be better to save the Z/28 name for 6th Gen rather than assign it to 426/430 hp edition. Thanks for oppty to input.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #46
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Janet -- ask the team to give these guys their Z28!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
A Z28 built off a 1ss with an LS7. Or just use this link to show what we mean. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Where is Lowdown when we need him.......

We also decided on a beefed up drive train.... For me personally I would rather see Pedders suspension bit's thrown in from the factory. I'm sure JP would like to see that as well.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps69Z View Post
In a 5th gen. please!
Quote:
but dump the fake mail slot on the Z. Use the V6 or ZL1 front fascia.
Quote:
Whatever you are going to be shown had better not be an "instead of" the Z/28. We do not want a poor man's ZL1, we want a Z/28.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Wow!!! Been busy today and missed this.

I can make it real simple. Fbodfather asked if we would like the 1LE as shown. The answer is YES (we assume it has the ZL1 drivetrain)! it would compete well with the boss (that means it beats it). That being said quite a number of faithfuls to this section of the forum (self definately included) want a 5th Gen Z28, "Real" bad. Take the 1LE and transplant the LS7 in it and you have a boss LS competitor (killer). What a way to end the 5th Gen. If possible we would like to have a dealer installed Pedders Supercars system optional to the MRC. (did I say that right Pete?)

Thank you for your support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
"(we assume it has the ZL1 drivetrain)!"- just to clarify, that would be ZL1 drivetrain minus the LSA engine.
Clyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Hello Janet,

We have spent countless hours discussing the 5th Gen Z/28 with our friends here on Camaro5. The wheel and tire package should be square -- the same size front and rear. While many would really like to see our 305/30/19 package or something close to it would be good.

Please let all the disciples know how much we appreciate their work on the 5th Gen and look forward to the results of you hard work on the 6th Gen.
Quote:
The LS3 1LE is not going to do 1320 ft any faster than our SS cars and if we wanted to track our cars, we could Pedderize an SS for cheaper then the LS3 1LE would be priced at. Need the LS7 with the Z/28 badge......

One thing that concerns me is that if a Z/28 does not come out for the 2013 model year and the 1LE does then I have to ask if they are going to bother at all to build a Z/28 for the 5th gen. Assuming that the 6th gen comes out in 2015 as a 2016 model, we are running out of time.

Even if they did, how would a Z/28 differ from a 1LE or a ZL1? The Corvette guys pretty much let it slip that the LS7 won't be around for the C7 Corvette (next year) so if ever there was a time to pursuade the engineering powers that be to hold on to the LS7 until the end of the 5thgen, now is the time to put that engine into a camaro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Cold air intake slot hood ala 1967 427 Vette..... with hood pins for that "race" feel. Z/28 should have it own unique hood.

Oversize rear axles and tighter suspension, but MR not required. Pedderized OK!

Ditto what Justice Pete said too: square setup on wheels. 19".
Spare from factory OPTION.

Oh yea...... A8 speed tuned hd automatic (option). No flack please (for those who aren't diehard racers and want to avoid GG tax if possible). It will nominally stay in 3 gears around the track and stay in torque zone for those who choose to go off road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post

Thanks...one and ALL.
Instead of repeating what was posted, and what we have previously discussed, I hope you guys, and Janet, do not mind me just highlighting what my comrades said. Oh, and ground effects similar to the ZL1 or a Z28 specific ground effects package would be sweet as well.....with just a few badges...and no embroidered frills or decals etc... , thank you Janet and The Disciple Team!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #47
awh3r

Drives: truck
Wish List

Z/28
RAM air hood intake
Dark Gold stripe package
awh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #48
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
GM Performance Parts upgrade package for ZL1--new pulley and tune with 2 yr/24,000 or 3 yr 36,000 powertrain warranty...
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #49
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
I'd like to see the following in a Camaro (put whatever badging you want SS, Z/28, et al).

1. Forged engine internals (LS3, LS7 or LSA).
2. Heavy duty clutch, and better master slave cylinder and associated hydraulic hardware, separate the reservoir from the brakes.
3. TR6060 that doesn't have gearing issues (fix syncros, stronger internal components).
4. Stronger driveshaft.
5. Stronger axles.
6. Stronger differential (whatever gearing you choose I don't care).
7. Better cooling tranny / diff.
8. Better suspension parts (sways, end-links, springs, et al).
9. Touch screen audio in the vehicle with GPS (at over $400 p/yr. for OnStar improving the audio system to support visual GPS, I'm sure most people would easily pay a little extra for the vehicle).

I know a lot of people will say that's a ZL1, however, I would have expected the Camaro SS+ would be built this way as the baseline car, and the difference between an SS, Z/28 and ZL1 would be engine options (LS3, LS7, LSA), upgraded suspension (MRC, and / or coilovers), different wheels and tire packages, supercharger (on ZL1).

Considering each vehicle (SS, ZL1 and / or future Z/28) are the higher performance versions they should all come standard track ready, and the difference between them should simply be focused on purpose building (with street, drag and road course tunes). ie - All are good for daily use, drag, and road course, but one may be better for drag, another may be better balanced for drag and road course, another may be better balanced for road course.

Seems like working backwards, SS (good car but needs tons of work), ZL1 (has all the work done that the SS should have started with), now Z/28 (totally different than a SS or ZL1).

One vehicle should build on the other, not be a 90% degree change. Just my .02 cents.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #50
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Janet, are you asking for input on the 5th gen or you really looking for cues on a 6th gen?

Shorter wheelbase
Lighter
No fake scoops
Delete quarter windows
More rear axle gear ratio options
Better placement of cup holders

Tags
where's our z/28?