Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #51
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Janet, since we seek a "hot"-engined naturally aspirated version, Ram Air would be helpful in making horsepower. Heat extraction would be helpful in maintaining horsepower.

To my knowledge, NO ONE has amalgamated these two well-received Camaro hood designs into ONE appropriate-for-this-version hood.

Yes, please!

In fact, the Leno-look facia (with ZL1-style splitter) and rear 1/4 scoops would be greatly (and gratefully!) accepted, as well...
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #52
Lydon

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
The only 2 things I would change (bc I have already) would be the exhaust (louder stock please) and those stupid summer Pirelli tires (mine is a DD and they are awful in the cold weather).

I LOVE everything else about my 2SS.

OH . . . and thanks for asking us.

Last edited by Lydon; 02-22-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: add'l comment
Lydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #53
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Janet, since we seek a "hot"-engined naturally aspirated version, Ram Air would be helpful in making horsepower. Heat extraction would be helpful in maintaining horsepower.

To my knowledge, NO ONE has amalgamated these two well-received Camaro hood designs into ONE appropriate-for-this-version hood.

Yes, please!

In fact, the Leno-look facia (with ZL1-style splitter) and rear 1/4 scoops would be greatly (and gratefully!) accepted, as well...
You've got my vote!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #54
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
carbon fiber hood/trunk/roof(painted or not painted, don't care)
magnesium wheels

body should look different in a couple ways, at least, from the other models

ls7 with some upgrades= more than 505hp, maybe 530hp
Closer ratio shifting trans for m6
lower gearing=4.10 in m6 or 3.73 for a6
Track/street friendly aerodynamic bodyparts( or make them optional)

ZL1 Exhaust

MR optional or manual adjustable shocks(both optional)

no backseat or make it removeable

less is more option= wide open

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #55
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:

Yes, please!

...well, you may be onto something. Vent trapped hot engine compartment air in addition to the ram-air induction. I intially posted for a ZL2 hood design for the high pressure air that builds at the base of the windshield, but maybe a ram air design, ducted to a forward-facing inlet in the front bumper, grill, or upper vallence facia might be the best? There is an optimal ground heigth for ram air, I think it's somewhere between 16-24 inches?. Some tinkering around in a new location for the optimal airflow would be needed. Maybe take out the foglight/DRL and place it there?
This was taken from an author off the 'net....
"With the right ducting, a proper ram-air tube can be up to 25 percent more efficient than a cowl induction hood and may actually generate as much as 2 to 3 psi of boost at very high speed"

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 02-22-2012 at 05:17 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #56
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...well, you may be onto something. Vent trapped hot engine compartment air in addition to the ram-air induction. I intially posted for a ZL2 hood design for the high pressure air that builds at the base of the windshield, but maybe a ram air design, ducted to a forward-facing inlet in the front bumper, grill, or upper vallence facia might be the best? There is an optimal ground heigth for ram air, I think it's somewhere between 16-24 inches?. Some tinkering around in a new location for the optimal airflow would be needed. Maybe take out the foglight/DRL and place it there?
This was taken from an author off the 'net....
"With the right ducting, a proper ram-air tube can be up to 25 percent more efficient than a cowl induction hood and may actually generate as much as 2 to 3 psi of boost at very high speed"
I had Ram Air on my '68 442, there were two scoops at the bottom of the front bumper, I think they also ran a slightly better cam with those ram air packages.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #57
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

...with TF3-type broad stripes, eminating from the Leno-look hood vents...think of them as wide-set ZEE stripes...ZEE-specific...

I'm sure the GM Design folks can finish up this thought...right over the trunk, too... Model-specific, seen from miles away... "Here comes/rrrrrumble/there goes a ZEE!"
Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #58
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:

Yes, please!

The Bee Hood on the yellow pick is my FAVE of all time.

Janet.. I don't think anyone has said it yet, but I would WANT it to remain a V8 and NOT a V6 TT.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #59
xtreme2s

Drives: Livernois 2010 2SS/RS
Everyone, don't hammer me since talking power and such on this thread. But after some long trips, looking for extra human comfort

Hi Janet

-unless this was 2010 year only, I apologize ....but a simple interior feature that many I'm sure take for granted, small lights within the garage door buttons? (the sunroof buttons have them)

-when shifting, hit the cans/cups when in the cup holders, consider deeper, probably will need to have usual size in lower section, but wider at top to access, possible for driver cup holder in door.

-seats with a/c feature

-seen another car (the F brand) with neat flush with-in glass outside mirrors with wide angle-convex mirror
xtreme2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #60
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
...with TF3-type broad stripes, eminating from the Leno-look hood vents...think of them as wide-set ZEE stripes...ZEE-specific...

I'm sure the GM Design folks can finish up this thought...right over the trunk, too... Model-specific, seen from miles away... "Here comes/rrrrrumble/there goes a ZEE!"
Stripes up and OVER the rear spoiler!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #61
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Sorry, folks, for being so wishy-washy. I guess I should spend a lil more time carefully studying the possibilities and implications and feasibility of a gen-oo-ine ZEE...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #62
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
I am really liking the thought of continuing with MRC technology. However, in a Z-28 application, one should consider the amount of PTM/TC setting levels to be more mission specific. The ZL1, a marvel by any comparrison, provides a few too many settings on the PTM for a Z-28 IMHO. Use a more dedicated set of spring rates and valving ratios for road racing. This of course will make the car a bit more harsh in ride comfort. But, comfort, even by todays standards and expectations, is a tradeoff for performance. We are talking Z-28 here. Z-28, it's The Face of the Camaro, the moniker of a Legend. We should consider trading off some creature comforts and the one size fits all consumer design policies. Tailor it in a dedicated fashion that revisits it's roots of the Trans Am road race series in 1969 when it was driven by Mark Donahue. Camshaft specs on intake and exhaust lift/duration and associated valvetrain components should be increased to wind up the motor RPM to the limitations of the stock L92 heads. They have 330 CC intake runners which appear to be able to breath at a much higher level than they are currently operating at. Design the cam profile to within a few hundreths PPM of what the EPA will allow on the HC and CO2 levels. The bottom end is already balanced, the cylinders are deck honed, so that is no issue to be able to spin the reciprocating mass at a much higher level for road racing purposes. Engine noise, piston rock and "slap", lumpy idle/engine rock due to valve overlap or other ergonomic driver comfort considerations should not be taken into account. Exhaust should be free flowing and unrestricted as much as Federal decibel levels go. GM IMHO should make a concerted effort to tailor the exhaust manifolds, cats, exhaust pipes and mufflers in a balanced, tuned complete system. Dyno the motor with a set of GM designed headers that meet Federal regs to work with the cat's to maximize the horsepower gains through the new camshaft and valvetrain. The thoughts I proposed on the engine here in this post I would carry over to the LSA as well. That motor, a handsome, well crafted power plant, clearly IMHO was designed to be very gentle and tame for the Cadillac until you stand on it and get to about 3,000 RPMs. Smooth idle, little overlap, duration, and less than ambitious intake/exhaust lift specs. No engine noise....quiet and unassuming. Same L92 cylinder heads at the LS3 and LS9 (LS9 are CNC'd, and have more aggressive vavletrain)...LSA needs to be cammed and woken up.

That's shooting for the Moon...but we are not reinventing the wheel either....a guy can wish can't he???

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 02-25-2012 at 11:34 AM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #63
Fraxum

Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Starting at 40-42K range without the leather seats and electronic goodies.

Low 40s$$ please so start with the 1SS. If we can have the 1LE for that perfect. Give us a few options if that is possible, but just all the good hardware if we do not. After reading about the perfomance on the race track of the ZL1 from more than one source the I have changed my mind on the MRC. I now want it. So much engineering went into the ZL1 and we get no understeer, and not sure, but I think no wheelhop. Yes?

I do not think it makes any sense to design yet another suspension.

Also I want the beefy rear and transmission. The ZL1 brakes are keepers too.

I am not sold on the LS7. Just not worth the extra $$. With just a few bolt-ons the LS3 can make LS7 power. The LS3 is fine with me. I can dial in the power I want with $$ or not. The ZL1 chassis setup can accept much more power if I go that way.

And think about this, in the one test I have seen so far of the ZL1 versus the dreaded Boss, the comment was: The ZL1 carried more speed in the corners than the Boss and the brakes were better.

Why engineer another suspension? What more does anyone want? I want that.

To me the 1LE/Z28 is all about balance not HP. It sounds to me like a LS3 1LE will be able to run with a Boss at the track with curves if you learn how to drive. It will lose at the drags to a good driver with the Boss but who cares.

If you can give us the ZL1 goodies and a 427 sized engine for low 40s $$ great! But if the car creeps up to $50K I would rather have a ZL1. It will hold its value better and I will not have to touch it to have fun. And it will probably be faster than the 1LE/Z28 at the track and at the drags.

One more thing, spiff up the interior with some flash please! Give us a better countoured seat to hold us in place around the curves. Cover it with a high quality cloth with a colored insert like the IOM interior.

Also do something flashy with the shiny side panels and the shiny strip around the dash. I have a black interiored 2ss and boring is the word that makes me think of that interior. When I get into whatever it is called I want the interior to ramp up the excitement.

So in summary, give us the best sport Camaro you can at the low 40s price point. And don't forget to look at more sporty (cloth) seats.

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #64
Janet

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 06 Z06, 06 Silverado,
Thanks, got this group of ideas. Waiting for more.
Janet
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #65
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
One more, move the back up lights from the rear fascia down lower to the rear difusser or next to the license plate area.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #66
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
One more, move the back up lights from the rear fascia down lower to the rear difusser or next to the license plate area.
Have you seen the Euro rearend for the Camaro? IMO much nicer and cleaner! I'd love to see this starting on the 2013's.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #67
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I love the looks of the Leno car and would like to see the Z28 with the LS7 or high reving modified LS3. I prefer the mag suspension over coilovers because it offers a great balance between street and track. I'm sure I'll have to lower it regarless but I like the idea of changing the settings with the push of a button. Some people argue that MR isn't race legal but those who need to worry about that are probably swapping out the stock Z28 coilovers for something like pedders supercar coilovers and thick monster sway bars. I also like everything that will reduce weight such as 2-piece rotors, racing seats, carbon fiber, etc.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #68
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Have you seen the Euro rearend for the Camaro? IMO much nicer and cleaner! I'd love to see this starting on the 2013's.
I am not a fan of the 80's sunglasses tail lights.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #69
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I love the looks of the Leno car and would like to see the Z28 with the LS7 or high reving modified LS3. I prefer the mag suspension over coilovers because it offers a great balance between street and track. I'm sure I'll have to lower it regarless but I like the idea of changing the settings with the push of a button. Some people argue that MR isn't race legal but those who need to worry about that are probably swapping out the stock Z28 coilovers for something like pedders supercar coilovers and thick monster sway bars. I also like everything that will reduce weight such as 2-piece rotors, racing seats, carbon fiber, etc.
Most of us who don't want MRC, would like pedders coilovers from the factory.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #70
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
Most of us who don't want MRC, would like pedders coilovers from the factory.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #71
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I wouldn't say most.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #72
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
What would truly be nice would be any of the engine combo's mentioned above but packaged in a "low maintenance" method avoiding the expense of MRC, or tons of PTM.

Strong, simple, and course worthy at a low budget. VERY STRONG. Not ultra technologically advanced (let that remain the ZL1 domain)... And if the ZL1 rides off into the sunset and is no longer with us, then allow the Z28 to come in two packages. One budget, One OverKill.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #73
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Janet, I believe everyone is in unison when I say that the Z28 has to be a very unique vehicle. It can certainly draw parts and information from ZL1 and Corvette but it needs to be its own car that can be marked as the best Z28 of all time.

The LS7 quite simply has to be the heart and soul of the Z28. Anything else will dilute the marque.

Use the performance parts that were developed for the ZL1:
Front spitter, Lower front bumper with brake cooling ducts, Shock tower cross brace, 6 Piston front/4 Piston rear Brembos with the 2 pc. rotors, beefed up suspension components BUT NOT the MR system, upgraded transmissions both TR6060 and Automatic, Short-Shift Shifter, Dual mode exhaust, Beefed up ZL1 rear end.

This car HAS to have better seats. The Recaros used in the Boss 302 are the best for a reason. Use them! Because the Magnetic Shocks are not race accepted, pull the Pedders coil overs off of the GMPP shelf and put them on the Z28.

Use the 19" wheels from the CTS-V and put 285 tires on all four corners. Put a heat extractor hood on the car, either a variant of the ZL1 or Jay Leno hood. Use the upgraded HUD from the ZL1. Change the gauge faces to red like the ones used on the Camaro Black edition, see below.

The hard part will be keeping the car in the $42,000 to $45,000 range with the above parts. But whatever you do, DO NOT dilute the name Z28 just to make a car. If the decision is made to build a Z28, then make it right and make it worthy of the name Z28.
Attached Images

Last edited by OldJedi; 02-27-2012 at 09:15 AM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #74
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Janet, I believe everyone is in unison when I say that the Z28 has to be a very unique vehicle. It can certainly draw parts and information from ZL1 and Corvette but it needs to be its own car that can be marked as the best Z28 of all time.

The LS7 quite simply has to be the heart and soul of the Z28. Anything else will dilute the marque.

Use the performance parts that were developed for the ZL1:
Front spitter, Lower front bumper with brake cooling ducts, Shock tower cross brace, 6 Piston front/4 Piston rear Brembos with the 2 pc. rotors, beefed up suspension components BUT NOT the MR system, upgraded transmissions both TR60606 and Automatic, Short-Shift Shifter, Dual mode exhaust, Beefed up ZL1 rear end.

This car HAS to have better seats. The Recaros used in the Boss 302 are the best for the reason. Use them! Because the Magnetic Shocks are not race accepted, pull the Pedders coil overs off of the GMPP shelf and put them on the Z28.

Use the 19" wheels from the CTS-V and put 285 tires on all four corners. Put a heat extractor hood on the car, either a variant of the ZL1 or Jay Leno hood. Use the upgraded HUD from the ZL1. Change the gauge faces to red like the ones used to Camaro Black edition.

The hard part will be keeping the car in the $42,000 to $45,000 range with the above parts. But whatever you do, DO NOT dilute the name Z28 just to make a car. If the decision is made to build a Z28, then make it right and make it worthy of the name Z28.
Oh you are good!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #75
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Oh you are good!
Thank you Sir. My ZL1 will be a car that I will keep forever but my heart will always want a Z28. Please GM, take the time and parts to build it right.

Tags
where's our z/28?