Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
I will solve the Vert top rubbing issue

So I've been on here for a while now with the same issue as so many others. I had rub spots on both sides although more-so on my passenger side. I recently got the "retrofit" top installed by an upholstery shop. This top has extra cables on the underside which pull the fabric inwards in a way that I guess GM thought would fix the issue.

I can tell you that it does not. The issue is entirely mechanical (the mechanism). The alignment of the mechanism will vary from car to car and in my case the passenger side rubs a lot more.

So... now that the replacment top did not work, I got a Mechanical Engineer here at work to have a good look at it as I folded the top back. What we saw is very hard to put down into words so I will take photos. I think I read some other member finding things to grind down and perhaps I'm just going to re-iterate the same but this will be the fix for sure. I am firstly inquiring with my dealership if the top mechanism has the ability to be ajusted for alignment. This may give enough clearance in the area of issue and I will pursue that before grinding.

The good news is that I am 100% confident as to what is rubbing and where. If I can document it well, I hope everyone with this problem can do the same and finally put this issue to bed. Sometimes we have to solve our own problems. What's funny is that it's so easy to see what's happening. The spot where GM put that "tape" as an early "fix" is the appropriate area but it will only work if your top is perfectly aligned. Any mis-alignment and it will not work.

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Jasper

I just want to add that in minor cases (slight mechanism mis-align) the result is a rubbing and that is why GM put the 3M tape there. In a more severe mis-align which isn't even that severe really, the result is a hard compression of the fabric between two ridgid surfaces which causes an impression and rub. I can feel the indentation once I put my top back up. I am determined to solve this and am pretty sure it's do-able after looking closely at what's occuring. I did review the really long thread on the top issues and there was mention there about the "corner bracket". That is the one part which looks like it will need grinding. In my case, that bracket lands on the rail where they put the 3M tape which then compresses the fabric between. On my drivers side, the corner bracket does not land on the rail with 3m tape and goes beside it as it should. I am unsure whether a perfect mechanism alignment will be enough to give the clearance required on both sides and perhaps some surface grinding is still required.

Pictures to come soon in order to illustrate the above. Then I will attempt to remedy it. My new top was perfect when I got it last week. Then I saw the impression marks whic would go away after a few hours with the top up. Now, the mark is still visible after a whole day. So the sooner I get it fixed the better and i'll try to keep the top up or use the tonneau cover to prevent up and down bouncing whic will only make things worse.

Last edited by Jasper; 05-27-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
I just want to add that in minor cases (slight mechanism mis-align) the result is a rubbing and that is why GM put the 3M tape there. In a more severe mis-align which isn't even that severe really, the result is a hard compression of the fabric between two ridgid surfaces which causes an impression and rub. I can feel the indentation once I put my top back up.
Did you get the new frame or just the top material?
BTW I had my top and frame replaced a Year and a half ago and after a few minor adjustments it has been fine.

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
Jasper

The dealer did not do the mechanism. He just told me that they do not do any adjustments either and aren't authorized to do so. Who adjusted yours? When he looked up the part numbers they appeared to be the same and he has no knowledge of there being a change to the mechanism (not to say there isn't).
Perhaps your new mechanism is more centrally aligned which solved it. Do you see any physical difference with the corner bracket?

I'm going to figure it out myself. A bit of grinding should do it.

J

Last edited by Jasper; 05-27-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
The dealer did not do the mechanism. He just told me that they do not do any adjustments either and aren't authorized to do so. Who adjusted yours? When he looked up the part numbers they appeared to be the same and he has no knowledge of there being a change to the mechanism (not to say there isn't).

J
It is well known that the frame was changed mid 2012 model year. Mine had the origional frame as it was an early 2012 build. The dealer did some of the adjusting and I adjusted the top stops because it was stopping too soon on the passenger side when fully up and not latched making it crooked and hard to latch. When I adjusted the stop then it was even and easier to latch the top.
Looks like your dealer just does not want to work on it. Contact customer service on here and tell them you want it fixed correctly. It can be done.

The Bird is the word!
Old 05-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
Jasper

Do you know what adjustments there are? What controls are there? The issue I see is if you're standing at the trunk of the car looking forward at the nose, mine is slightly shifted to the right by a small amount (1/8"). The down position appears to be equal side to side though and is sufficiently down. When up however, it doesn't latch as easily and I have to pull it downwards since getting the new fabric. I thought it would loosen/stretch but hasn't yet after a week.

If there are no adjustments that will affect the side to side position, I am forced to do the grinding I spoke of or push for a new mechanism.

J
Old 05-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
I fixed my 2011 and no rubbing since. New 5th bow also I did myself. Top looks new still today.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Do you know what adjustments there are? What controls are there? The issue I see is if you're standing at the trunk of the car looking forward at the nose, mine is slightly shifted to the right by a small amount (1/8"). The down position appears to be equal side to side though and is sufficiently down. When up however, it doesn't latch as easily and I have to pull it downwards since getting the new fabric. I thought it would loosen/stretch but hasn't yet after a week.

If there are no adjustments that will affect the side to side position, I am forced to do the grinding I spoke of or push for a new mechanism.

J
I would leave it in the up position for a couple more weeks, heating and cooling cycles will help it to stretch. That could be why it is hard to latch but it also could be the up stops. Does your top touch the windshield header on its own or is it a inch or two above it when the top stops moving going up? If it stops too soon it will be hard to latch, also if one side comes down farther than the other, both are signs the up stops need adjusting. A 10mm box end wrench will loosen the lock nut then you can adjust the stops as needed.

I think if you look down the side where the top attached to the car body there is a little adjustment there, you have to loosen the mounting bolts to the body if you can get a wrench on them loosen them up a little and try sliding the frame forward or backward as needed.. They are very hard to get to so I left it up to the dealer to handle.

The Bird is the word!
Old 05-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #9
Jasper

The top is stopping an inch or so before the header. I have to pull down firmly to engage the latch. It looks like it's equal spacing all along.

I think I will try grinding the problem areas first to see if I can open up room where the top is being pinched. If that fails, I will then seek to adjust the left to right position if I can figure out where that is. Is the adjustment accessible?

J
Old 05-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #10
ssfox

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
Keep us posted Jasper!
I too have a new top and I'm trying my hardest to keep the passenger side from rubbing in a new mark but I can see that it wants to.
I put a cloth between the folds on that side when I can while putting the top down and that seems to help but its not always convenient as you could imagine.
Good luck and post pics!
ssfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
Jasper

Last night removed the corner bracket where I believed the rubbing was coming from. I left my top down all night which has typically been enough to leave the "impression" mark. Today, there is no mark at all. I will leave it off for the weekend and if it's still fine, my dealer is going to order a new one so I can compare and see if a change was made to this portion of the mechanism. I did some grinding of the bracket but there is still a protion which extends out and since it's holding the fabric, I can't grind it there. I am not sure if it can be modified until I get a closer look. With it off, the inside fabric is not pulled tight in the corner where it meets the windshield. But if this is truly the culprit, there has to be a solution.

I'll take photos this weekend of the bracket and what's happening.

J
Old 05-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #12
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Here's the deal. The old mechanism can easily get out of alignment. When it does it bends the bows. Once that happens the only real solution is to replace the bows and the mechanism.

A bent 5th bow can also cause some of the issues with the water bag.

The new mechanism is more robust as are the new bows.

Search for my post on top/mechanism replacement. I did it almost a year ago. The top has been flawless since.

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #13
Jasper

My dealer has told me that they don't have a complete mechanism offered now. That it is all in separate pieces that have to come and be assembled I guess. My 5th bow looks perfect when the top is up. When the top was nearly closed, I was able to shift it to the one side to equalize the spacing between the corner bracket and the place it rubs (with the 3m tape) and I still don't think there is enough clearance. So perhaps they also changed something about the corner bracket.

If you have any part number info for the new mechanism it would be helpful because it's not the first time my dealer told me one thing and it was another. They are willing to make sure it gets fixed even if it requires a new mechanism which is good.
But i've also seen posts here from people with a post 2013 Vert with rubbing issues. Presumably they have the new mechanism which shoots holes in your theory though.

J
Old 05-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
My dealer has told me that they don't have a complete mechanism offered now. That it is all in separate pieces that have to come and be assembled I guess. My 5th bow looks perfect when the top is up. When the top was nearly closed, I was able to shift it to the one side to equalize the spacing between the corner bracket and the place it rubs (with the 3m tape) and I still don't think there is enough clearance. So perhaps they also changed something about the corner bracket.

If you have any part number info for the new mechanism it would be helpful because it's not the first time my dealer told me one thing and it was another. They are willing to make sure it gets fixed even if it requires a new mechanism which is good.
But i've also seen posts here from people with a post 2013 Vert with rubbing issues. Presumably they have the new mechanism which shoots holes in your theory though.

J
That is correct,it is only available as individual parts, not as an assembly. That was verified by Rodgers Chevrolet service manager for me.

The Bird is the word!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #15
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Do you have an 11 or 13?

Parts can go bad or be out of tolerance for any model year. People have also been known to sit on retracted tops. The point is if for whatever reason the mechanism gets out of alignment the bows will bend. Once that happens the bows have to be replaced.

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote