Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #1
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Vert/G7C
My Ragtop Has Started Collecting Lint...

So I'm a fairly new owner of a Hot Red 2014 ZL1 vert w/black top... I've washed it three times now and recently started noticing remnants of white lint on and stuck into the fabric of the top... I took a lint roller to it, but those pesky lint's are pretty imbedded.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I supposed to be using a certain cleaner other that soapy water?

Thanks in advance!

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
Skyset

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I would recommend getting a good ragtop cleaner and doing it atleast twice a year

SW Headers, SW High Flow Cats, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Dyno tuned
Skyset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
I've got a '14 vert with black top. I get no lint, are you drying it with a wash towel perhaps? The dealer recommended that I occasionally give it a scrub with a fairly stiff brush to take out any marks from it being folded. Other than that, I just wash it and let it dry, never any lint/debris in my top.

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
RADR1SS

Drives: 2014 SIM SS Vert
I agree with Skyset, I use Raggtopp cleaner & protectant kit when I wash my SIM vert.
RADR1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
I've got a '14 vert with black top. I get no lint, are you drying it with a wash towel perhaps? The dealer recommended that I occasionally give it a scrub with a fairly stiff brush to take out any marks from it being folded. Other than that, I just wash it and let it dry, never any lint/debris in my top.
DO NOT USE A STIFF BRUSH!!! A soft as silk horse hair brush is the only brush that should touch our tops. A stiff brush will do nothing but tear up the cloth fibers. I use a horse hair brush when it does get dirty, a lint roller and sometimes a vacuum for the lint, and most importantly do not wash my top every time I wash the car. (Its garaged and not my daily driver however).
Old 05-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

I use a very soft bristled brush to wash the entire car. When it comes to the top, I lightly go over it and rinse immediately. I don't use cloth rags to dry, just a super shami.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuyokr View Post
DO NOT USE A STIFF BRUSH!!! A soft as silk horse hair brush is the only brush that should touch our tops. A stiff brush will do nothing but tear up the cloth fibers. I use a horse hair brush when it does get dirty, a lint roller and sometimes a vacuum for the lint, and most importantly do not wash my top every time I wash the car. (Its garaged and not my daily driver however).

Meh. I have, and will continue to use, a stiff toothbrush on fold marks, it makes them disappear. Reminds me of people who swear a Dyson vacuum tears up carpet fibers.

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #8
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
I don't use anything on my top. No protectant and no soap when I wash it. I only hose the top off. My top is original, going on 5 years old in June when she was built.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #9
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
I use a very soft bristled brush to wash the entire car. When it comes to the top, I lightly go over it and rinse immediately. I don't use cloth rags to dry, just a super shami.
You use a brush on the paint??? (suspect this was a misprint - I hope!)

Get some 303 or RaggTopp Fabric Convertible Top Cleaner. Both also make a Fabric Protectant which will make the water bead on the top. For the protectant I'd give an edge to Raggtopp since overspray can be wiped off the paint & windows with a quick detailer instead of masking off.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
If its just fabric and not dirt, put on a latex glove and rub the top down, only moving your hand in one direction. It will collect all the fabric. Take a little time but it works excellent.

All the best,

Jared Royce

Click HERE to send a PM | sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 801.545.4215
JDP Sales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:19 AM   #11
DanielW

Drives: 2011 SS/RS convertible
Lint roller. Ragtop owners best friend.
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:09 AM   #12
Mike J

Drives: 2015 Yellow RS Convertible
All is great advice...you may have to get a scrap book for for cars collection of lint
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #13
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

I'm purchasing some top cleaner this weekend to see if it'll work. The lint roller does not work because these pieces of white debris is pretty embedded into the top fabric.

I use an auto soap brush to wash all my vehicles. Been doing this for years with no problems. Only time I ever experienced an issue was the first time I used a buffing machine... I made swirls all over my clear coat because I didn't know it would burn layers off on high settings. Good thing it was a Honda that I was about to repaint at the time.

I will try the rubber glove idea JDP.

Thanks for the advise guys!

Old 05-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #14
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
Lint Roller

Use a good quality roller. Some of the cheap ones can transfer adhesive to the surface being cleaned.
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote