Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
eyeshavings

Drives: 2012 RS
Angry My new to my 2012 has a hole in the top

Ugh. Drove my 2012 around town today for an hour, got home and put the top up. There is now a hole/wear mark on the passenger side about 10 inches behind the windshield. WTF. Just turned 12,000 on the odo. Bought 1 week ago with a pristine top and now I have a hole. Will the dealer work with me? I purchased it from the Chevy dealer in town. Or am I boned?? wtf.
eyeshavings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 5th Gen. Camaro! The 5th Gen. convertible is an awesome car!

The location of the hole seems to line up with the lip on the rear passenger side well in which the top sits when it's retracted. This could very well have resulted from rubbing.

This is a well-documented potential issue with many 2011 and 1st half of MY 2012 convertibles, in particular.

If you conduct a search on the convertible forum with the terms "hole", "top", "top problems", "wear marks", "rub", "rubbing", "5th bow", "water" "drainage bags", you will find a fair number of threads referring to top and frame issues. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/search...rchid=35767745

From whom did you purchase your convertible? GM dealer or privately? If GM dealer, was it a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle? If CPO, address it with the service dept. / manager.

When was your convertible originally purchased? If in 2013, when? It may still be under the original bumper to bumper warranty and qualify for covered top repairs (service dept. will have this info).

The low mileage may aid in pressing the issue with GM if the dealer is unwilling to assist.

Is there any history of this vehicle having had top work performed on it? If it was serviced at or through a GM dealership's service dept., there should be a record of who, what, when and where. If top work was previously done and it was performed under the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, was a letter issued by GM extending the (component) warranty on the top?

Has there been any water damage to the car? Check the battery well in the trunk, carefully and gently check under the front and rear carpets for musty odors, discoloration and possibly even rust(?).

If you don't seem to get anywhere with your selling dealer, contact GM directly.

There are MANY owners here who have a lot of knowledge and even first-hand experience with some of these issues and they will be more than happy to explain the issues and direct you to potential sources to help remedy your top problem(s).

Don't be discouraged. The 5th Gen. Camaro Convertible is an awesome car! Remember, driving a 5th Gen. convertible is not just "driving a Camaro", it's a lifestyle!

Please keep us posted as to your progress in getting this resolved.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 09-12-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
If it was a pristine top with no indication of a rub or hole 1 week ago and now it has a hole, you may have something else going on that is not the normal problems. I would get it back to the Chevy dealer ASAP.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
eyeshavings

UPDATE: Wife drove car to dealer and and made a stink. They are tracking the history on the car/top. I really think the top was replaced right before I bought it. There was bird crap on the top windshield frame and in the mech so the top HAD been down before for a while. When I purchased the car last week, the top was perfect. No creases or damage. MAYBE there is a warranty on the new top??

Alright. Called the dealer this morning. They told me to go pound sand. 11K miles and it's falling apart. Took it to the local upholstery shop that was highly recommended and they won't touch the 2012s. He said they did ONE a few years ago and will not do them again.

Soooooooo.... Life lesson learned. Need to do more Googling. I spent HOURS researching the Gen5s the day and night before I pulled the trigger. Guess I forgot to look into ragtop problems. :(

The car itself is absolutely fantastic! Road trip this past weekend was awesome and a blast to drive. Little kids wave and some folks had phones out. That was amusing.

Too bad about the top tho... #angry

Last edited by eyeshavings; 09-12-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
vegas girl

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS BRM convertible
There is a class action lawsuit involving the 2011 and 2012 convertible tops.
Runs out to kiss Cami who is a 2013 vert.

2013 2LT/RS BRM Convertible
vegas girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
theragtopguy
Lifetime Phillies Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas girl View Post
There is a class action lawsuit involving the 2011 and 2012 convertible tops.
Runs out to kiss Cami who is a 2013 vert.
Has anybody actually heard anything about this class action?

I'll bet the lawyers are racking up the billable hours......

I had a '12 Convertible that I traded in for the GF.......had to get that roof replaced, but had zero problem getting it done under warranty. As soon as I got it back, ordered my Flash.

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
The suit is in mediation at the moment which started a few weeks ago. I have not heard an update yet. For anyone interested, all the pertinent info is here on my Facebook page. And as a caveat, I am not part of the suit nor do I stand to get anything from it. Just helping others out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692/
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
vegas girl

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS BRM convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
The suit is in mediation at the moment which started a few weeks ago. I have not heard an update yet. For anyone interested, all the pertinent info is here on my Facebook page. And as a caveat, I am not part of the suit nor do I stand to get anything from it. Just helping others out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692/

2013 2LT/RS BRM Convertible
vegas girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:40 AM   #9
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
You need to look into the cars history a bit more and also try a different dealer. IF the top had been replaced, it would have to be under warranty. Also if the top had indeed showed zero rub marks, then it should be blatantly obvious what caused the hole. The issues that are well documented have always been wear marks that turn into holes over time.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #10
eyeshavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuyokr View Post
You need to look into the cars history a bit more and also try a different dealer. IF the top had been replaced, it would have to be under warranty. Also if the top had indeed showed zero rub marks, then it should be blatantly obvious what caused the hole. The issues that are well documented have always been wear marks that turn into holes over time.

Yep. The hole was caused by the canvas rubbing on the passenger side trunk trim piece. When the top is down, you can see the fabric sitting on the trim. Only on the right side tho. Drivers side clears the trim fine. Meeting at 10AM today to meet with the service manager. Fingers crossed....
Old 09-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #11
xnuyokr

Good luck, hope it went well. If it didn't.....keep in mind that most of the bad top horror stories here that had a happy ending were because the owners were persistent, did not take no for an answer, and make a stink with GM. There's also usually a rep on this site that will look for posts like this and offer some assistance. Let us know how you made out!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
eyeshavings

Ok. 10AM meeting went as I expected. About 10 minute wait and they "Adjusted" the top I guess and trimmed some metal. I wonder if they work as quickly on hourly jobs? :p

The service manager also showed me where to tuck in the top where it plainly rubs on the trim in the back causing damage... thanks!

Anywho. They referred me to the local upholstery shop that doesn't work on convertible tops to repair the hole in the top. I stopped there anyways on the way back to work. They got a good chuckle out of it at least.

At this point, I have decided to never put the top down again. I will have to live with the stupid hole in the canvas. I can look forward to my first car payment in a few weeks tho. So there's that...
Old 09-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #13
Zenkoji

Drives: 2011 SS Convertible, 6spd manual
This thread may help you..... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=410133&page=2

I plan on doing this to my 2011 this weekend (unless it's already been done), as I have a wear spot on the passenger side. It's not horrible, but noticeable, and I don't want it to get any bigger.

Don't give up - there is hope! You gotta be able to put that ragtop down brothuh!
Zenkoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #14
xnuyokr

Don't give up, that's bullshit! One week after buying it and theres a hole in it? Just on good faith alone the dealer should be doing the right thing. Did you confirm if it was a new top or not? Contact GM. Don't take no for an answer. Contact the owner of the dealership as well. Squeaky wheel gets the oil. Keep at it.