Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #86
CKurt3

Drives: 2005 Ford Ranger XLT V6
Interesting convo.

Both wonderful cars.

Coming from both a Camaro5 and Gencoupe.com member!
CKurt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #87
illestdomer2005

Drives: 1990 Honda Accord
I went into my car research phase with a huge crush on the Camaro. After dealing with price gouging Chevy dealers, the Genesis Coupe started to look better and better. I made the mistake of test driving the 2.0L the day AFTER I drove the 1LT Camaro. I was completely turned off. My brother, though, test drove a 3.8L GT with a stick and told me I had to give it another shot. I drove the automatic with paddle shifters (just like the Camaro I test drove), and it was fantastic. Without timing it on a track with exact conditions, the Genesis Coupe felt faster to me straight line and had MUCH better visibility. The Camaro had me worried someone could easily fall into the gaping blindspots.

Interior-wise, I am not a HUGE fan of either car. There are things both cars do well though, and there's no doubt the Camaro is really comfortable for what it can do. On the exterior, while I love the rear and even profile of the Genesis Coupe, the Camaro still kills it in the looks department. There's not a single angle that I don't love drooling over the Camaro.

On the name-recognition front, everyone knows a Chevy Camaro, and Hyundai is still working on its street cred. That said, Hyundai doesn't give any prospective buyer a moment of pause about its long-term viability. Chevy, on the other hand, is on its way to becoming Government Motors. You're hard pressed to beat Hyundai's warranty, and I'll take that to the bank ahead of Obama's warranty.

Lastly, the fully loaded, top of the line Genesis Coupe is a mere thousand dollars more than the 2LT similarly equipped. The 2LT with RS package has 20" wheels over the 3.8 Track's 19" wheels, but the Genesis Coupe has the Brembo brakes found only on the SS Camaros. So...that's personal preference. Also, you're talking about a Korean sports car over American muscle. Some people are die in the ditch for American muscle cars. If you're that guy (or girl), your decision was already made before the Genesis Coupe ever existed.

Now...comparisons aside, you can go to most any Hyundai dealership and pick up a Genesis Coupe, and you can even lease one in most states if that's your cup of tea. The same isn't true for the Camaro. Maybe it's of value to you that your car is so in demand that it will take you months to get it after a special order, but if you want one right now, you'll have to pay thousands over MSRP when the Genesis Coupe can be had for sub sticker.

I am as of yet undecided as the Camaro would be my first choice all things being equal.
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #88
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Been doing my research on this car, and I have to say I am impressed with what they came up with. The car responds very well to F/I, turbo or S/C. I have seen vids of these cars running with Mercs and BMW's easily. I seen a vid of a turbo one taking a C5or is it a C6 Vette...in the 1/4 !

Yeah yeah you can say "well that's modded" but the fact remains that it is still a good car based, and even better modded. The same features found on a SS can be had on the Genn Coupe for less money...Hell it has more features than the GT as well !

My advice, do not sleep on these cars.Hyandai is stepping their game up...really stepping their game up.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #89
illestdomer2005

Drives: 1990 Honda Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
Been doing my research on this car, and I have to say I am impressed with what they came up with. The car responds very well to F/I, turbo or S/C. I have seen vids of these cars running with Mercs and BMW's easily. I seen a vid of a turbo one taking a C5or is it a C6 Vette...in the 1/4 !

Yeah yeah you can say "well that's modded" but the fact remains that it is still a good car based, and even better modded. The same features found on a SS can be had on the Genn Coupe for less money...Hell it has more features than the GT as well !

My advice, do not sleep on these cars.Hyandai is stepping their game up...really stepping their game up.
Indeed. The big difference is that it doesn't look and isn't American. That is a deal breaker for some people.
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #90
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
Indeed. The big difference is that it doesn't look and isn't American. That is a deal breaker for some people.
Truth in that. But just as well, people will not buy American because of what is happening to Chrysler and GM. A lot of people will just not care.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #91
boswepw

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT RS
I saw a new black V-6 Genesis coupe parked next to my MINI this week, and it looked pretty good. It was a pretty typical hatch-back layout, but the black was a good color for its lines (as compared to the yellow one in the Motor Trend article.) I personally like both cars, but prefer my RS better (estimated July 1st delivery date). One other minor tidbit in the Camaro's favor - regular unleaded versus premium required for just about every other V-6 coupe out there - Accord, Genesis, Altima, 350/370Z, G37, and even my little 4-banger MINI Cooper S.
boswepw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #92
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceptVBS View Post
They already have the V8 engine in the sedan. Both cars are based on the Genesis platform. So you do the math. It's bound to happen sometime in the future, if not by the manufacturer, most certainly by hobbyists.
Many of the early articles I read in C&D, MT and others, said that the design of the Coupe would not allow room for the V-8. As a result Hyundai wasn't planning on any V-8 model.

At least early on. One never knows when things like this would change.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #93
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Many of the early articles I read in C&D, MT and others, said that the design of the Coupe would not allow room for the V-8. As a result Hyundai wasn't planning on any V-8 model.

At least early on. One never knows when things like this would change.
I've read such statements as well. No V8. The Genesis Coupe is a modified version of the Genesis sedan. More so than the G8/Camaro relationship....

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #94
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I've read such statements as well. No V8. The Genesis Coupe is a modified version of the Genesis sedan. More so than the G8/Camaro relationship....
I recall that the question was posed early on when the Show Car came out and every thing I read said no V-8. Underhood clearances and structure wouldn't allow it.

But, I would never be surprised at what Hyundai may do.

Absolutely agree about the relationship between the G8/Camaro and the Genesis Coupe/Sedan. Somehwat very different.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #95
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28orSs View Post
yea nice comp. top of the line Genesis vs base maro!

that is sad... the v8 would blow it away, and even the v6 base with gensis base would be reasonable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
?Watch out for my 1500 HP camry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
2lt isn't exactly a base model Camaro. It's the top of the line V6.
'TOP OF THE LINE' meaning it only has extra options and trim, nothing to do with performance... 'track' on the gensis actually changes performance... all v6 Camaros are the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Nothing screams old school muscle like an Hyundai!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
but its sill the smallest motor for the car in the 2LT, the 3.8 isnt the smallest genesis motor
thank you!!! someone here knows what the heck they are talkin about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobcat View Post
I would'nt say that. Go over to the gencoupe forum and there are all kinds of reports of double takes and people digging the car. It sounds like it looks even better in person too.
ehh !!!! You want something better for a very similar price go get an infiniti g35 much better choice than a Hyundai!!!! Hyundai is just a copy cat!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceptVBS View Post
Lets looks at the specs.

Both V6
Both RWD
Both IRS
Both 6 speed manual
Both Sport coupes
Both similar size (camaro a bit bigger)
Both start less than $30K ($22k camaro vs $25k gen coupe)

And you dont see why this isnt a good comparison?
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
so, we are comparing the specs only? i thought we were cars...
and yes i know different people will have different styling likes and dislikes, but, it is a part of a car. thats why some will chose the geny and come the maro

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #96
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelZ View Post
that is sad... the v8 would blow it away, and even the v6 base with gensis base would be reasonable

'TOP OF THE LINE' meaning it only has extra options and trim, nothing to do with performance... 'track' on the gensis actually changes performance... all v6 Camaros are the same!

thank you!!! someone here knows what the heck they are talkin about

ehh !!!! You want something better for a very similar price go get an infiniti g35 much better choice than a Hyundai!!!! Hyundai is just a copy cat!!!
How much is a NEW G35 exactly anyways?
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #97
ConceptVBS

Drives: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswepw View Post
One other minor tidbit in the Camaro's favor - regular unleaded versus premium required for just about every other V-6 coupe out there - Accord, Genesis, Altima, 350/370Z, G37, and even my little 4-banger MINI Cooper S.
Actually, the Genesis Coupe doesnt need premium. It runs fine on regular. In fact, the official quoted 306HP figure is from the regular. Add premium, and its bumped up to 310.
ConceptVBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #98
MLL67RSSS

Drives: 67 Indy Pace Car
Saw this a while ago on wreckedexotics.com. At least the airbags deployed in the bad Camaro crashes we've seen. Some speculation as to why they didn't in this Hyundai crash.

Better pictures in this link:

http://blog.cardomain.com/2008/11/13/hyundai-genesis/

As the first comment says, they're sure they'd deploy in one over here. Do airbags somehow know what country they're in?
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #99
blinkme323

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Saw this a while ago on wreckedexotics.com. At least the airbags deployed in the bad Camaro crashes we've seen. Some speculation as to why they didn't in this Hyundai crash.

As the first comment says, they're sure they'd deploy in one over here. Do airbags somehow know what country they're in?

Old, old news.......

Hyundai already confirmed sometime ago that it was a test car that didn't have airbags installed.
blinkme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:07 AM   #100
ConceptVBS

Drives: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post

Here is a production version stationary hit by a van doing 50mph in South Korea. The ones in those pics are PRE-PRODUCTION models that the engineers took out for a spin. Airbags were disabled or were missing on those mules. After that incident, Hyundai Korea started putting on notices on the airbags themselves if they were equipped or not. Yes, this is old old news.

So that settles that.

If you didnt know, there are many cases where airbags fail to deploy. Manufacturer's defect, angle of the crash, occupant's size, too many variables to name. It's not just Hyundai but all companies. BMW, Lexus, GM's, etc...I've seen it all.
ConceptVBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #101
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
I agree with some comments, and I disagree with most of the comments. I can see why the genesis coupe 3.8 was compared to the new camaro. Not too far off in price, around the same horspower, ect... to each his own, I guess.

Some talk smack about the genesis coupe, and say "it's just a hyundai" yeah, true, it is. However, it is able to compete with the camaro. It is quicker than the v6 camaro as well. I will find some videos of the 440hp genesis coupe if anyone is interested in seeing them.

I like the car, some don't, so do, its all in preferences. IMO both cars are cool.

-Adam
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #102
JMM1181

Drives: '07 350z
Saw both cars this past weekend on the road, my thoughts are that the Genesis Coupe is much better looking on the road and in person than I thought but the 2010 Camaro has it beat in the looks department with a much more larger than life appeal. The new camaro is a real head-turner, I've seen around 4 of them on the road by now and every time I do my jaw drops. The Genesis looked almost like an Infiniti from the back and I'm not too crazy about the front just yet. If I was in the market for a V6 I still don't know that I'd consider the Genesis, it's a great value but still overpriced IMO for what you get- it's still slower than my Z (although prob quicker than some of the early models) and just does not jump out at me for the price even though I like what they're trying to do with that platform. Also, from what I've heard the turbo 2.0 is lethargic, without the eager aftermarket chomping at the bits to play with that engine and enhance it through upgrades I doubt it would be worth the cost (around $25k). They should seriously consider throwing the Tau into the coupe then we'd be talking.
JMM1181 is offline   Reply With Quote