Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Proper anchor points for trailering a Camaro?

Camaro Fest is around the corner and I will be trailering my ZL1 up to Bowling Green. However this will be the first time I've trailered this car, actually any car for long distance.

For those of you who have a lot of experience trailering vehicles what is the best way to tie down a car? I've read people say above the suspension (i.e. loading the suspension once tightened) and I've also heard below the suspension or on the wheels etc and thus letting the suspension "float" on the trailer. The ZL1 has the spring spacers for the front springs so I think that should protect the shocks for long distance trailering.

Thoughts?
Old 07-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I haven't done tons of towing but have done it a handful of times, several cross country.

I just get 4 anchors at each corner to whatever I can attach. I think suspension or frame are both fine just make sure it's a solid connection point. My cars never seem to move. I just try to ensure the car can't roll forward or back.

I hope you using a dual axle trailer... they ride so much better than a single axle.
maddoggyusa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
I hope you using a dual axle trailer... they ride so much better than a single axle.
Yup dual axle.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I suggest attaching to the suspension below the springs if you can so you are not loading the suspension as you tighten it down. This does allow for more movement of the vehicle as it is being towed.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Some people allow the suspension to float others bind the suspension, I prefer to bind it because it controls any body roll. Here is what I Do... In front therer is a slot in the front cradle above where the control arm bolts. I use that slot and run the strap foward to the trailer. In the rear I clip the strap to the bracing on the rear cradle where it forms a V, (the V is on the frame between the diff and control arms) run the straps back to the end of the trailer. I have the straps at an angle where suspension travel wont allow them to go slack, Basically the straps are mostly horizontal not vertical. Wish I had pics.