Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Schmidty
Facebook.com/SoCalCamaro5

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
Kali4nia58's 2011 IBM 2LT / RS

MY STORY
I learned to drive on a manual shift silver Datsun pick-up truck in the local Sears parking lot and my high school football field. Took my drivers test in a Jeep Wrangler Sahara, then my dad bought me a Mercury Tracer in Manual. My sister learned to drive soon after so we got rid of the Tracer and bought a brand new Honda Civic automatic. My sister totaled that (not her fault) so I kept the Wrangler until college when my mother bought me a 1985 BMW 318i. Loved that little thing. In 2002 I needed a car that was more reliable since I was living in San Diego but commuting to Long Beach weekly to visit my sister in rehab (she was in a nasty car accident in her Izuzu Trooper that flipped and left her paralyzed from the neck down). My dad lent me money to put down on a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse. At the time it was my affordable dream car. Haha! Five years later I ditched the eclipse and bought my first car, though my dad came with me to negotiate with the dealer. It was a 2007 Ford Edge. A brand new SUV. I kept her for 9 months until I realized I wanted to drive fast and turn on a dime. Sold the Ford and bought my first car all on my own: a 2005 BMW 525i, stock. She was a gorgeous Oriental Blue (think IBM). I added a custom matte black Remus quad exhaust, carbon fiber treatments all over, 19" matte black Breyton wheels blah blah blah...a sick car that I got compliments on daily. I had made her look pretty tough even though she had only 184hp. Here are a couple pics of my bimmer...

Well, I decided that I had enough fun with the so-called "Ultimate Driving Machine" and decided I was ready for some real horsepower. I spent days going to the Chevrolet website and selecting all my wants and pricing her out. I submitted my wants via Consumer Reports on June 11, 2011 for a 2011 A6 Camaro 2LT with RS Package, Black Leather interior, and sunroof. I originally wanted manual but my dad convinced me otherwise. I was looking for an IBM or CGM...both tough colors to find. Gas prices/MPG kept from a 2SS/RS...as did money. Izzy Vargas at Santa Paula Chevrolet was the first to respond to me and found me exactly what I was looking for for a few hundred under Dealer Invoice Pricing.

I drove to Santa Paula and picked up my sexy beast on June 15, 2011! I have not regretted it since.

I highly recommend working with Izzy at Santa Paula Chevrolet if you are around the area. Graham Chevrolet of Santa Barbara doubted I could get the car for the deal I described to them and would not even come close to the numbers Izzy offered me. I was willing to drive the hour+ to get the car I wanted for a fair price. Here she is:

APPEARANCE MODS
  • Window Tint
  • Flat Black Bezels
  • LED Sidemarkers (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • Interior LEDs (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • License Plate LEDs (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • Plasma DRLs with Harness (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • ColorSHIFT Halos (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • ColorSHIFT Foglight Halos (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • ColorSHIFT Grille Illumination (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • Heritage Grille (from Orange10s.c., Forum Sponsor)
  • Havoc Spoiler
  • Technostalgia LED Tail Lights
  • Xenon Rear Body Scoops
  • Color Matched Antenna
  • Custom Fender Badges and RS Badge (from Lupe, Forum Sponsor)
  • Underhood Bowtie (from Emblempros, Forum Sponsor)
  • Underhood Bowtie (from EmplemPros, Forum Sponsor)
  • Radiator Shroud (from Emblempros, Forum Sponsor)
  • Cup Holder Delete Switch Plate (from Emblempros, Forum Sponsor)
  • Pulse Red Hood Spears and Accent Stripes Painted On
  • Custom Painted Engine Cover
  • Plasti-Dipped Wheels [I]
  • Matte Black Rear Fascia and Trunk Lid Vinyl Set (from MnP Customs, Forum Sponsor)
  • Havoc Diffuser
  • Pfadt Springs (from ApexChase, Forum Sponsor)
  • RS Embroidery on Headrests

PERFORMANCE MODS
  • MRT v2 Exhaust
  • Rotofab Intake (from ApexChase, Forum Sponsor)
  • ADM Scoop (from Juiced Motorsports, Forum Sponsor)
  • ICE-olater (from SC2150, Forum Sponsor)
  • Throttle Body (from SC2150, Forum Sponsor)

COMING SOON
  • BBK Stainless Steal Long Tubes (Ordered from Phastek, Forum Sponsor)
  • Catch Can (Ordered from SC2150, Forum Sponsor)
  • Street Scene Lower Grille with Ducts (Ordered from PFYC, Forum Sponsor)
  • Sparks Restoration RS Heritage Grille Emblem

Last edited by Schmidty; 06-27-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Schmidty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2012 Panamera
Yeah buddy, that's a sweet ride you got! Congrats, and we'll see ya around town I hope.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Schmidty

First Mod - Tint

Tint all over!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Schmidty

Second Mods - Flat Black Tail Light Bezels, Chrome Bow Ties

Getting rid of some chrome...and adding it in the right places.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Schmidty

New Grille

T-Rex Chrome Upper Class Mesh Grille. EDIT 3/5 - Grille soon to be replaced by Heritage Grille.

Last edited by Schmidty; 03-06-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Schmidty

LED Sidemarkers from AAC

Installed the LED Sidemarkers from AAC. These look amazing in person!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
Nice!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Schmidty

New Exhaust!

Had the MRTv2 exhaust installed and man does it get me excited about driving my Camaro again! She sounds like a tough beast now! A real head turner.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
Schmidty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Nice!
Thanks bro! I just got the mod bug so thought I should start tracking this ish. Ordered a CAI Intake and Scoop, LED Tail Lights, and Havoc Spoiler. Looking at some other LED lights, gonna give some gloss red vinyl hood spears a look (or maybe try ABM). Oh...and rims. You start and then you can't stop.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali4nia58 View Post
You start and then you can't stop.
No truer words were ever spoken!!

Liking your mods so far, man!! Haven't seen anyone with the same setup. Keep 'em coming, haha, it's fun to watch!!!

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Schmidty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
No truer words were ever spoken!!

Liking your mods so far, man!! Haven't seen anyone with the same setup. Keep 'em coming, haha, it's fun to watch!!!
Thanks! Just checked out your journal too. White on a Camaro really looks clean! I can't wait for my CAI to get here. Like you I've never done anything like that myself and so I'm feeling pretty pumped about it!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
Schmidty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
Yeah buddy, that's a sweet ride you got! Congrats, and we'll see ya around town I hope.
Thanks bro! I gotta get some more mods done so I can I hang with all you SS guys.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
Tint!!

Quote:
Tint all over!

Kali4nia58....Tint just seems to work on about any color...but IBM, it really stands out! I love your enthusiasm with your Camaro...Keep it up-to make it your own...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Schmidty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablueL99 View Post
Kali4nia58....Tint just seems to work on about any color...but IBM, it really stands out! I love your enthusiasm with your Camaro...Keep it up-to make it your own...
I've got a thing for blue! And Im a big fan of ABM! I enjoyed your thread and also the pics of your '68! Very sharp!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Thanks! Just checked out your journal too. White on a Camaro really looks clean! I can't wait for my CAI to get here. Like you I've never done anything like that myself and so I'm feeling pretty pumped about it!
Thanks for the compliments! Those chrome Havocs are going to look killer with the blue. Yeah once you've put in the CAI it seems like a piece of cake when you're done with it. You won't have any problems at all. It was fun getting to actually get some things done under the hood by myself.

You'll also have the ADM scoop, which is sweet. I was going to get that but kept reading about the install and what all went into it so I just said screw it and didn't want to worry about it, lol. I guess I was just lazy. I may still get it at some point, though. I'm sure if you follow install directions or have someone else do it though the whole thing isn't that hard!!

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
Schmidty

Painted Engine Cover

So I thought I would be spend my Saturday showing some love to my Camaro. I swung by AutoZone and picked up some Adhesion Promoter, Duplicolor Spray Paint, and Glossy Clear Coat, taped up my engine cover and fuse box, and gave it a go. Very pleased with the outcome! I haven't decided on the second color to replace the black on the engine cover but I think I will go with whatever color hood spears I put on her. I just got some Gloss Red Hood Spears that I will give a try to tomorrow. I figure most every IBM does white or silver and I wanted something different. Seen some nice orange stripes...but I'm going to try red. Stay tuned...but for now...here is my engine cover and fuse box.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
dmwhiteman

Drives: 2SS Black w/ Inferno Orange Stripes
Doing a great job! Everything looks great! Looking forward to seeing the red stripes. It definitely will be different.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
Schmidty

Stoked! Made an appointment to get red vinyl hood spears put on Wednesday morning! CAI, Scoop, and WW relo kit coming on Wednesday also! (Having never really done many mods myself I am a bit intimidated by the scoop and relo kit after seeing some DIY threads and having no dremel, etc. I may just puss out and simply do the intake). And just got an email from Technostalgia that my LED Tail Lights will be shipping this Friday!!! It's like Christmas...in February.

Also ordered a Radiator Shroud from Roger along with the underhood bow tie...and some Plasma fogs and interior leds from Jonathan@AAC. And I'm officially broke...again.

Last edited by Schmidty; 03-06-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
Keeps getting better with time...just like a bottle of wine....love the color. I like the photo in your sig. It is sweet....
Old 02-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
Schmidty

Hood Spears

I ordered a pair of Gloss Red Hood Spears from Juiced Motorsports (forum sponsor) and had them installed at MonumentalWorkx in Clairemont/San Diego. Highly recommend them...terrific price and a great guy! Has done some wraps on a few member's cars as well.

So here are my initial thoughts. I like it. They look more IOM than red in person on. So I think in time I will have them painted on in a deeper more "blood red" perhaps. (My roommate says a blue-red versus an orange-red). In the same tone as the IBM. Something that would match the Dark Red in the tail lights. But I like 'em. Different...not your typical white, black or silver that you normally see on IBMs.

I also ordered some Xenon Rear Body Scoops to place over the gills...and I am sure most people on here are not of fan of them...but I am, and thats what matters. I think they tend to look better on darker colored cars. And before anyone says they are "mustang-like" I must say I had halos on my bimmer before the 5th Gen Camaro hit the dealer lots. I see nothing wrong with borrowing things that look good and in my opinion the Body Scoops look good. Would like to paint them IBM but with the red to match the hood spears. See pic as an example.

Not doing the rear side window vents.

Lastly - I will be removing the chrome grill and going with Heritage. Still trying to decide whether I will paint it IBM, Black, of whatever Red I go with for the Hood Spears. Thoughts?

Last edited by Schmidty; 03-06-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
cslee0811

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
HEY! I BOUGHT MY SS FROM SANTA PAULA CHEVROLET ALSO! GREAT SERVICE AND AWESOME DEALS! I like the red on black... personally glad u stopped with the red. I think too much red will look like the mustang KR.
cslee0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #22
cslee0811

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee0811 View Post
HEY! I BOUGHT MY SS FROM SANTA PAULA CHEVROLET ALSO! GREAT SERVICE AND AWESOME DEALS! I like the red on black... personally glad u stopped with the red. I think too much red will look like the mustang KR.
I think painting ur heritage grille black and getting a red SS emblem will look clean.
cslee0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
MIT'13

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT / RS
looks sweet man. im glad to see people adding some interesting colors to our IBM! I think the heritage grill will be a nice touch when painted IBM.
are those side vents a piece that you glue to the body panel or is it a whole new side panel? thats a sick color scheme on the black and red one you posted.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #24
Schmidty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT'13 View Post
looks sweet man. im glad to see people adding some interesting colors to our IBM! I think the heritage grill will be a nice touch when painted IBM.
are those side vents a piece that you glue to the body panel or is it a whole new side panel? thats a sick color scheme on the black and red one you posted.
Thanks man! Appreciate the feedback. Ordered the Heritage Grille this morning in IBM. The side vents will stick with 3M tape I believe. The black and red Camaro sold me on it!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
Schmidty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee0811 View Post
Thanks man! Santa Paula Chevrolet was great to work with! No complaints from me at all. Love your SS. I got the 2LT/RS. That black SS in my thread is just a sample of the body scoops and color scheme I am planning for my IBM.