Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 03-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
JackRabitSlims

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Hurst Shifter Dynomat Locations

Hi,
Going to install shifter soon. Has anyone put the dynomat for the shifter. To be honest those pictures suck that come with the instructions on where to put the dynomat. Can anyone give me a better explanation? Thanks.
JackRabitSlims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
skar

Drives: 2010 2SSRS headers/CAI/tune/corsa,
Show me also please.
JL Audio XD400/4 amp
Pfadt trailing arms & tie rods sway bars.
pedders street 1 package
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
Nessal

Drives: Lotus Exige
I believe that it calls for dynomat on the area where the cross pin goes through the shifter that is held on by the C clip. Then if that is not enough, you add another strip a little bit above that on the shaft itself.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
douellette

Drives: 06 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
why would you need dynomat on the shifter?
douellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
JackRabitSlims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
I believe that it calls for dynomat on the area where the cross pin goes through the shifter that is held on by the C clip. Then if that is not enough, you add another strip a little bit above that on the shaft itself.
So put the C-clip on then dynomatt around it? and if still noise another strip higher up?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
JackRabitSlims

Quote:
Originally Posted by douellette View Post
why would you need dynomat on the shifter?
Supposed to keep the shifter quiter because it is all made of metal where as the stock shift knob attaches by being pushed on and is made of leather and other stuff that absorbs sound.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Nessal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRabitSlims View Post
So put the C-clip on then dynomatt around it? and if still noise another strip higher up?

From my understanding, yes. You put the dynomat on after everything is assembled. The rattle supposidely is coming from that connection so the dynomat is supposed to dampen it. Then another piece around the shaft above that if rattling is still there. I would just do both since you're down there already. Also put some teflon tape around the threaded portion of the stick where the shifter ball goes on. Supposed to help some as well.

The rattle drove me crazy. But when i switched to the stock knob it all went away.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
JackRabitSlims

Quote:
From my understanding, yes. You put the dynomat on after everything is assembled. The rattle supposidely is coming from that connection so the dynomat is supposed to dampen it. Then another piece around the shaft above that if rattling is still there. I would just do both since you're down there already. Also put some teflon tape around the threaded portion of the stick where the shifter ball goes on. Supposed to help some as well.

The rattle drove me crazy. But when i switched to the stock knob it all went away.

Thanks for your help. I spent yesterday just trying to figure out how the hell to get my car up in the air to actually do this job. I don't have a flat driveway and all these other issue. Figured it out, now just waiting for a warm day to do it.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Nessal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRabitSlims View Post
Thanks for your help. I spent yesterday just trying to figure out how the hell to get my car up in the air to actually do this job. I don't have a flat driveway and all these other issue. Figured it out, now just waiting for a warm day to do it.

Hey, good luck with it! I know that the kit comes with 2 piece of dynomat. I would use one FULL piece on the shaft that connects from the front of the car(not the shifter shaft itself), then a smaller piece where the C clips hold the cross pin in, and then whatever is left over on the shifter shaft itself where it connects to the lower shifter shaft(where the two bolts that holds the billet shifter together).

I know the kit came with 2 neoprene pieces as well but I honestly don't feel those are a good idea because they can slowly cause those two shifter bolts to back out over time.

The directions did say that the shifter has a natural tendency to rattle and is part of the function. it also says that there will still be some noise after the dynomat.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
JackRabitSlims

Quote:
Hey, good luck with it! I know that the kit comes with 2 piece of dynomat. I would use one FULL piece on the shaft that connects from the front of the car(not the shifter shaft itself), then a smaller piece where the C clips hold the cross pin in, and then whatever is left over on the shifter shaft itself where it connects to the lower shifter shaft(where the two bolts that holds the billet shifter together).

I know the kit came with 2 neoprene pieces as well but I honestly don't feel those are a good idea because they can slowly cause those two shifter bolts to back out over time.

The directions did say that the shifter has a natural tendency to rattle and is part of the function. it also says that there will still be some noise after the dynomat.

Thanks for the help. Where you are telling me to put that dynomat is confusing as hell to me. So one full square on the part that new shifter conects too that is orginal from the car, than a small piece around the C clips and then another piece where the chromed upper stick meets the lower stick right by the bolts? did you put it around the bolts, below the bolts? Hurst could have done a better job with their pictures and description of where to put the dynomat. Any other advise on how to do this?