Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #126
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
I'm really sorry for having too be a pain in the butt. But with all the comments posted up on ssmike,s build & the continueing new mods the person has made on his vehicle w/ the personnel extra touches. I know there are a lot of vehicles to be considered for this nomination. But please take time too look this one all over. Thanks
Thanks for all your support Spike and all my freinds! It's greatly appreciated! I'm really not all that concerned over whether BIG RED gets picked for COTW or not! There's so many great Camaro's out there that deserve it more than I do for sure! I've really only started this past year on outward cosmetic mods and I'm not quite done yet. Most of the mods I've done are unseen, such as the suspension, headers, exhaust, etc.

My vision and goals are almost met! I've always envisioned a racey, low profile, de-chromed, red and black, fast beast with some personal custom touches, which I think I have pulled off after 3 years of modding! My true excitement comes from DRIVING BIG RED! I like looking at it but I much prefere to be blasting down a twisty road and revelling at the sheer joy of the added power and handling I have from all the work I've put into it! You can have the car show scene, I'd much rather be out tooling around a country road with other Camaro friends than walking around looking! Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE looking too! There's nothing like a large group of 5th gens to gawk at! Spike can attest to the joy of "spirited driving" after our little "bad ass" romp a couple weeks ago!

Anyway, thanks again and who knows, maybe someday BIG RED will be COTW! It's just not time yet!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #127
ssmike
Missing Big Red

My next project! 3.91's and BMR differential bushings! I have the car stored in my garage now for the winter so that will give me plenty of time to remove the differential and either ship it out or have a local shop do the gear swap! Now I have to decide whether or not to spend some extra coin on an Eaton posi and end caps!
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #128
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
Wow nice ,can't wait to see how it runs with those.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #129
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre777 View Post
Wow nice ,can't wait to see how it runs with those.
Me too!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #130
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Me too!!!
Every time you update your build thread I get more and more jealous of your car and your seemingly endless wallet haha. Looks great keep it up.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #131
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
Every time you update your build thread I get more and more jealous of your car and your seemingly endless wallet haha. Looks great keep it up.
Haha! That endless wallet is more like a cavernous void right now! I hear echos when I open it! I may have to do the gears myself with the help of a good friend who is a great mechanic, we'll see!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #132
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Haha! That endless wallet is more like a cavernous void right now! I hear echos when I open it! I may have to do the gears myself with the help of a good friend who is a great mechanic, we'll see!
Haha, well good luck!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #133
sxty9GTO
VEGAS 11

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
After all, you can't show your gears at a car show.

Keep On Trucking
sxty9GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #134
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxty9GTO View Post
After all, you can't show your gears at a car show.
Yea, you're right! Gears won't win me any hardware at a car show but they'll make it a hell of a lot more fun getting there and back!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #135
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Well now that winter season is upon us and our Camaro's are all snuggled in for the long hibernation, (at least us northern guys), it's time for some more mods! I have a short list of 3 or 4 things but I'll surprise you with a couple of them later this winter! For now though I finally got around to installing my MPD1 spoiler and spoiler rally stripes!

The install was a piece of cake but I have a way of f'ing things up quite easily! I was told to use a bead of RTV to keep the water out so I layed the bead down and proceded to install the spoiler MYSELF! Big mistake! As you can imagine as I was installing the first screw the whole spoiler slipped and got RTV all over the trunk lid and stripes! Thankfully it all wiped off OK with a microfiber towel. Of course now I have to throw the towles in the garbage! If you do this mod and use RTV get someone to help!!!

Then the fun began with the rally stripes! Me and things with adhesive don't get along to well though! I got the stripes lined up perfect but there's a ton of bubbles I just couldn't get out. I peeled them up and re-applied but still bubbles! Screw it for now, I'll wait till spring and have a vinyl shop do it professionally!

Here's some pics! Stay tuned for more over the next couple months! Next up will be removing the differential to have the 3.91's installed.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #136
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Still no COTW???

Btw spoiler looks good! Sorry to hear about the vinyl stripes. Been there done that haha!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #137
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
Still no COTW???

Btw spoiler looks good! Sorry to hear about the vinyl stripes. Been there done that haha!
Haha, yea, vinyl sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
Sorry the spoiler looks great,4 hands are twice as useful than 2 Soon as I get my social security cost of living raise I'm going too buy those SS valve stems Mark took off his RJT trade in.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #138
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Vinyl can be a pain, especially when lining it up to match another layer! Car looks great though man, can't wait to see it next year. You planning on going to the fest?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #139
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSUNAMI View Post
Vinyl can be a pain, especially when lining it up to match another layer! Car looks great though man, can't wait to see it next year. You planning on going to the fest?
Thanks! Yes to the fest! Wait, you already know that, you're signed up on my UC5 Camarovan thread! lol!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #140
ssmike
Missing Big Red

I've decided to have a local speed shop do the 3.91 gear swap including removing and re-installing the differential from the car. They quoted me an incredible price and have a good reputaion in the area! They will remove the dif, swap the gears and set up the backlash and pattern, and then re-install it into the car for only $100 more than if I were to remove the dif myself! $100 is well worth it if it saves me from busting my ass underneath the car! I just have to fit it in when the weather co-operates so I can drive it in!

Stay tuned, I'll post my review once the work is done! I'm also having them replace the diff bushings, toe links and upper control arm bushings while they're at it! I can't wait to see how this all will affect the ride and hard accelleration!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #141
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Sounds like a great deal, Mike!

Keep us posted on your progress!
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Roto-Fab IBM Engine & Radiator Covers|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #142
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
I've decided to have a local speed shop do the 3.91 gear swap including removing and re-installing the differential from the car. They quoted me an incredible price and have a good reputaion in the area! They will remove the dif, swap the gears and set up the backlash and pattern, and then re-install it into the car for only $100 more than if I were to remove the dif myself! $100 is well worth it if it saves me from busting my ass underneath the car! I just have to fit it in when the weather co-operates so I can drive it in!

Stay tuned, I'll post my review once the work is done! I'm also having them replace the diff bushings, toe links and upper control arm bushings while they're at it! I can't wait to see how this all will affect the ride and hard accelleration!
Very nice! I hope they make house calls lol. Doubt you wanna get any salt on that beauty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 12-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #143
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm1412 View Post
Sounds like a great deal, Mike!

Keep us posted on your progress!
I will!

Quote:
Very nice! I hope they make house calls lol. Doubt you wanna get any salt on that beauty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Yea, I worry about the salt and the shop is accross town! I have all winter so I'll work it in between snow storms or maybe after a rain thaw! It's driving me CRAZY right now though cause I just want to drive it over there and get it done NOW!!! Patience has never been one of my virtues!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #144
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:

Yea, I worry about the salt and the shop is accross town! I have all winter so I'll work it in between snow storms or maybe after a rain thaw! It's driving me CRAZY right now though cause I just want to drive it over there and get it done NOW!!! Patience has never been one of my virtues!
Haha yea I don't have great patience either. Winter just started and I want it to be over so I can get behind the wheel of my car. But atleast I got some projects to keep me busy so I am happy . Since I am home for one more day I gotta figure out how to take off my valve covers so I can get them painted haha.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #145
fastfreddie

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS (His), 10' 1LT (Hers)
Just read through your complete build thread and WOW! A ton of mods and they all look great! Car looks awesome! RJT is one of my favorite Camaro colors, too.

Beautiful car!
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #146
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Just read through your complete build thread and WOW! A ton of mods and they all look great! Car looks awesome! RJT is one of my favorite Camaro colors, too.

Beautiful car!
Thanks man! I really appreciate the compliments, especially coming from someone who has done such a spectacular job on his own Camaro! It's really cool to see all the different directions we take in customizing our cars!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #147
Zeus95

Drives: IOM 2010 - 2SS/RS
Great car, just read your thread. Love the wheels and tires. Thanks for the help with the bushings !! +1 vote for COTW ! Thanks again
2010 2SS/RS IOM Upgrades: Fastlane CAI / SLP II Loudmouth axle back / V Max Ported TB / Kook's Step Long Tube Headers / High flow cats / Straightline Tune / BMR front & rear sway bars / Hotchkin End Links / Hurst Short Throw. LG ZR28 Wheels 1 of 2 sets made. Pfadt trailing arms / Diff Bushings & Sub Frame bushings / 1LE Axle & Hubs.
Zeus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #148
Les7311

Drives: 45th Anniv, 2SS, LS3, '07 M109
Send a message via Yahoo to Les7311
.............scribed......
Les7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #149
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus95 View Post
Great car, just read your thread. Love the wheels and tires. Thanks for the help with the bushings !! +1 vote for COTW ! Thanks again
Thanks! Glad I could help with the bushings!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #150
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
The car and mods are looking good! I love that color, my ZR1 is Crystal Red tintcoat which is the same or close to it. I'm on the fence about the 3.91 gears. I don't know if my turbo car would like them or if 3.73's would be better. I'll watch to see how yours work out for you. Great job on the car!!!

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47925
FrankT is offline   Reply With Quote