Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #1426
fiascoes1
SoCalRaceTeam new-b!
 
fiascoes1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1/WHITE/BLACK STRIPE
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: norwalk ca
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MB View Post
I will take 1 of 1000 or 2000 any day in the 2012 model over a 2013 no matter how many they make. The VIN numbers already reflect the MY code as do all the body parts, the cars are already built, the defect will soon be corrected and we all hope to have our cars by the end of Spring. The longer production is halted the fewer 2012s will be made unless they push real hard through May. We will all be in a unique category as owners of the 2012. Yes we will suffer early depreciation and if that is an issue for anyone that does not intend to keep it over 5-7 years then they might consider a 2013..... but you only gain one year's depreciation, nothing else. Still might be better to have a 2012..... Certainly a more interesting "story" to tell!
+1 well said Mike!
__________________
4B00- 2/16/12 vin 284 my build thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224028
fiascoes1 is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #1427
Zedder
 
Zedder's Avatar
 
Drives: 40 plus Camaros and counting!
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakville
Posts: 219
Reliable source close to the plant: issue is a chip in the BCM...supplier is in Japan...6 - 8 weeks to rectify....for what it's worth

On a more important note, I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your wife Harvey.
__________________
Mark
GM cancelled my ZL1 order
Zedder is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #1428
Lonny Doyle
Aerospace Machinist
 
Lonny Doyle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 w/ ECF
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Red Oak,Texas
Posts: 67
I work in the aerospace industry, every part I machine has a paper trail for trace ability. I am sure this is also true with automobiles.

It is possible that during QC it was discovered that something was made from the wrong material and they are having to replace these components.

It could also be that some of the fluids came back from the labs and they found elevated levels of metal or some other contaminant in them that should not be there.

They may have completely disassembled one of their track cars and found some cracks or premature wear in an internal part that had previously not had a problem.

I feel that if this were a minor problem that the vehicles would have been shipped and then a recall would have been sent out to have the component replaced at a later time.

To shut down production it would seem to be something that could lead to a catastrophic failure of a major component or a safety issue.

If it were either of these I would prefer that they take action before they shipped.

If it was a window that sometimes did not roll down or radio knob falling off I can deal with that for a little while. Hey GM go ahead and send me mine.

I do not like the fact that they are leaving us in the dark. I would have told my customers something by now. They do not have to be specific. At this point it would be good business to imply what the issue might be even if it was not true so that so that we feel like we are being kept in the loop with our major purchases. I would rather know the truth.

It seems like it would be easier to wait if we know why we are waiting.

Sorry for the long post, needed to vent a little.

I really enjoy reading on this forum. I look here every day to see if someone has posted a ship date.
Lonny Doyle is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #1429
alex70olds
~~*~~
 
alex70olds's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Conroe Texas
Posts: 835
Thoughts and prayers are with you, Harvey.
__________________
alex70olds is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #1430
IcePick06
 
IcePick06's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 AGM ZL1; '07 Ducati 1098
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tha OCizzle
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
I wonder how long before the Press starts asking for answers. That would be nice.
Well since GM promised a Spring 2012 Delivery, I would say if they aren't here by the end of April...there will be some pretty bad fires GM will have to start putting out.

I don't rant too much, but for the life of me I can't understand why GM won't at least put some info out there that isn't so vague. "We are stopping production for QC issues...period" I mean really?! ...please don't insult my intelligence like I'm some foreigner who doesn't understand English well--I wasn't born yesterday!!!

I would really like an ETA from GM because I am trying to sell my current car, and I have a few people interested now so I wanna get rid of it; but since the ZL1 will be a daily driver, I don't want to be stuck until May or June without a ar

I wonder if GM is holding out until Ford decides to release the '13 GT500 to the press for testing??? I mean if the GT500 ends up destroying the ZL1 after all the marketing hype of the ZL1, that won't look good! Ok maybe that conspiracy theory is far fetched. Only GM knows the real answer and they are holding out on us for whatever reason

I guess the logical thing to do would be to place my order tomorrow for the '13 GT500 coupe since orders open up on 3/21 and see whichever car arrives first gets my coin...I want one of the baddest muscle cars ever and that clearly boils down to the '12 ZL1 or the '13 GT500

I can't believe GM is trying to send us ZL1 faithful over to the DARK SIDE with this QC crap ...must re..sist...the ur-ge...to can..cel...Z..L..1..order
IcePick06 is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #1431
GoldenBear
Bear Backer
 
GoldenBear's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
Well since GM promised a Spring 2012 Delivery, I would say if they aren't here by the end of April...there will be some pretty bad fires GM will have to start putting out.
Remember that Spring 2012 lasts through June 19, 2012.
__________________
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #1432
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Remember that Spring 2012 lasts through June 19, 2012.
Actually it lasts until June 20th at 23:09 this year
The IOM Ninja is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #1433
avcbm
 
avcbm's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville (area), FL
Posts: 240
The problem is we need more to talk about, more magazine reviews, more videos... more movement in production... right now with everything at a standstill.... our minds are idle..... I think we need some good topics to keep us busy.... any ideas....
__________________
avcbm is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #1434
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post

I can't believe GM is trying to send us ZL1 faithful over to the DARK SIDE with this QC crap ...)
Im sorry but this statement deserves a
ShnOmac is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #1435
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by htg39 View Post
I just wanted to Thank Everybody for there kind Condolences in regards to my Wife's Passing......Its appreciated-----------------its Tuff but I just deal with each day....Thanks again...Harvey
I'm sorry for your loss Harvey, my deepest condolences to you and your family.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #1436
69 Rebel

 
69 Rebel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS Auto
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Laval, Canada
Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
I wonder how long before the Press starts asking for answers. That would be nice.
Hey what happened to the 5.0 that was in your sig?
__________________
Version I
Jannetty Racing 550 RWHP Street Brawler Package,
Powered by TVS2300 Maggie
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100385

Version II
416ci stroker/4L80e
701rwhp 750rwtq
build and tuned by
SPI-Performance
69 Rebel is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #1437
mrlundgren
 
mrlundgren's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kearney ne
Posts: 13
It's not the fact that they are QCing the cars. It is a good thing they are being fixed in the factory, but I am like you and I look on the website every night to see if there is a ship date. Like everybody else, I am in the dark on a ship date.
mrlundgren is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #1438
BigDogZL1
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 116
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/20/c...imited-2012-m/
BigDogZL1 is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #1439
OVRKLL
 
Drives: Soon 2 B a ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hon. Hawaii
Posts: 140
I wish I could at least order one...then the wait would at least be worth it...a light at the end of the tunnel. As it is now, I'm in a dark tunnel with no light. I went to a local stealer to see if I could order one, and they said yes...all you have to do is put down a deposit and we'll order one up for you. They did mention that GM is not taking orders now, but at least I would be 4th on their list once their allocations came in.
I said great! Then the internet mgr asked the fleet mgr what's the MSRP on this car? The response was $75k...I said what! Almost fell off my seat laughing...shook his hand and said have a good day...I don't play that game!
So looks like I'll need to order one from across the pond however, $2k for shipping is much better than $20k!
Does this post qualify as a whine? LOL!!
OVRKLL is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #1440
Z4MB
 
Z4MB's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #272, 00 GTP, 00 Silverado
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 209
From AutoBlog

Nearly two weeks ago, we reported news of a "quality assessment" issue with the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 that was holding up deliveries and further production. We checked in with Chevrolet spokesman Monte Doran today to get some clarification on where things stand with the 580-horsepower coupe after being alerted by a reader that Camaro5 forum members with the car on order are growing increasingly frustrated with the delay, seemingly unable to get a clear status update on the fate of their vehicles.

General Motors is declining to say what the nature of the problem is, but Doran says the automaker is confident they are close to a fix that will enable deliveries "in the weeks, not months."

Doran estimates that GM has built "a couple of hundred" 2012 ZL1 models, but only one was delivered to a customer, and that example was handed over due to a dealer error and subsequently reclaimed pending the update. Any ZL1s that were delivered to dealers are back at Chevrolet's Oshawa, Ontario plant awaiting the fix.

Given that the ZL1 was to launch in spring, the high-performance coupe was already looking at an unusually short model year. This stoppage could mean that the 2012 model year run will be even shorter. Doran says GM hopes and expects that when production does resume that it will do so with 2012 models, but he admits that depending on timing, it's possible that Oshawa could transition directly to 2013 model year builds. Either way, contrary to rumors, ZL1 models already built will be delivered as 2012 models. Doran also indicates that GM has instructed its dealers to not accept further orders for 2012 models at this time.

GM acknowledges that this is an unfortunate situation – particularly because the ZL1 is a hotly anticipated model where some eager customers have had their deposits in for six months or more – but Doran says Chevy wants to focus on "getting the car right" so that customers are satisfied in the end.

While the delay is no doubt frustrating for those who have been waiting months for their cars, we couldn't help but wonder aloud to Doran if the very abbreviated 2012 model year production may result in their increased collectability down the road. He paused and replied, "You're not the first person to suggest that."
__________________
2012 ZL1 #272 is a BLAST!

Victory Red, Manual, Polished Wheels, Exposed CF, Suede Package, Sunroof
Z4MB is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #1441
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,463
It's a major issue. Major patience required. Lose patience, lose the opportunity to get it. Just saying..... be grateful if you have a firm car produced. Those with orders not being accepted, it's beyond the scope of anyone's control, so go to "Plan B" very quickly.
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #1442
camarocam
 
camarocam's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 65
Instant Collector!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MB View Post
From AutoBlog

Nearly two weeks ago, we reported news of a "quality assessment" issue with the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 that was holding up deliveries and further production. We checked in with Chevrolet spokesman Monte Doran today to get some clarification on where things stand with the 580-horsepower coupe after being alerted by a reader that Camaro5 forum members with the car on order are growing increasingly frustrated with the delay, seemingly unable to get a clear status update on the fate of their vehicles.

General Motors is declining to say what the nature of the problem is, but Doran says the automaker is confident they are close to a fix that will enable deliveries "in the weeks, not months."

Doran estimates that GM has built "a couple of hundred" 2012 ZL1 models, but only one was delivered to a customer, and that example was handed over due to a dealer error and subsequently reclaimed pending the update. Any ZL1s that were delivered to dealers are back at Chevrolet's Oshawa, Ontario plant awaiting the fix.

Given that the ZL1 was to launch in spring, the high-performance coupe was already looking at an unusually short model year. This stoppage could mean that the 2012 model year run will be even shorter. Doran says GM hopes and expects that when production does resume that it will do so with 2012 models, but he admits that depending on timing, it's possible that Oshawa could transition directly to 2013 model year builds. Either way, contrary to rumors, ZL1 models already built will be delivered as 2012 models. Doran also indicates that GM has instructed its dealers to not accept further orders for 2012 models at this time.

GM acknowledges that this is an unfortunate situation – particularly because the ZL1 is a hotly anticipated model where some eager customers have had their deposits in for six months or more – but Doran says Chevy wants to focus on "getting the car right" so that customers are satisfied in the end.

While the delay is no doubt frustrating for those who have been waiting months for their cars, we couldn't help but wonder aloud to Doran if the very abbreviated 2012 model year production may result in their increased collectability down the road. He paused and replied, "You're not the first person to suggest that."
If true the 2012s become instant collector cars at less than 500. And those over 500 get theirs as 2013 model years. Seems like a win win on either side. Or they fix the problem and are still able to produce all promised allocations for 2012, this too is good news and the cars are still rare. Other then the fact we are still waiting, but hey good things should come to those who wait! I will give GM a break as the most important issue to me is that I get my car with no defects and built very well as I plan on keeping it indefinitely.

Last edited by camarocam; 03-20-2012 at 10:04 PM.
camarocam is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #1443
ZL1NC
 
ZL1NC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange ZL1 #288
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
It's a major issue. Major patience required. Lose patience, lose the opportunity to get it. Just saying..... be grateful if you have a firm car produced. Those with orders not being accepted, it's beyond the scope of anyone's control, so go to "Plan B" very quickly.

What is Plan B..? quickly.... too late for that... Thanks.
__________________
David
ZL1NC is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #1444
mrlundgren
 
mrlundgren's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kearney ne
Posts: 13
Best info. to date thanks
mrlundgren is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #1445
GearheadSS
Member #63
 
GearheadSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Lots
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas/Greenville, Texas
Posts: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocam View Post
If this is true the 2012s become instant collector cars at less than 500 built. And those over 500 get theirs as 2013 model years. Seems like a win win on either side. Other then we are still waiting, but hey good things will come to those who wait! I will GM a break as the most important issue to me is that I get my car with no defects and built very well as I plan on keeping it indefinitely.
I don't think so. Mass produced cars now don't really become collector cars. Since they will build as many 2013's as they can and since there's really nothing to distuingish the '12 from the '13 other than year and the QC clusterfunk, I don't see it being a collector's item.

The '12 will be remembered as the model that was cut short because of the snafu. Knowing GM, they will make improvements to the ZL1 over the years so this could also be the least powerful ZL1 in the 5th gen.
__________________
GearheadSS is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #1446
rrubio
 
rrubio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2012 Audi Q7
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: El Paso Texas
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
It's a major issue. Major patience required. Lose patience, lose the opportunity to get it. Just saying..... be grateful if you have a firm car produced. Those with orders not being accepted, it's beyond the scope of anyone's control, so go to "Plan B" very quickly.
i think the sad part is that cars that are built didnt go in any certain order. i ordered mine at the beginning of december and im at 3000, there are people here that ordered them in november and have not moved past 1102. those orders are ones that might get dropped and made 13 models. too bad cars werent produced in the order in which they were ordered.
__________________
rrubio is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #1447
Mr.R
 
Mr.R's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 232
Must be a major safety issue otherwise they could have shipped and have them repaired at the dealer. As safety = liability, they don't want to play with that. I don't want to play with that either - I have a family. So it can't be just reprogramming the software, as they could have hired the brightest programmers that could have fixed it in 2 days...who are we kidding? It can't be just the Mohawk paint/part as it's not a safety issue. I don't think they're waiting to build excitement as quite the opposite is happening. Also, they might lose customers when the '13 shelby comes out and steals the icing on the cake(for some people). It must be a part related issue, and they either don't have the new part or they don't have it tested yet. Just my 2 cents on it...
Mr.R is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #1448
camarocam
 
camarocam's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
I don't think so. Mass produced cars now don't really become collector cars. Since they will build as many 2013's as they can and since there's really nothing to distuingish the '12 from the '13 other than year and the QC clusterfunk, I don't see it being a collector's item.

The '12 will be remembered as the model that was cut short because of the snafu. Knowing GM, they will make improvements to the ZL1 over the years so this could also be the least powerful ZL1 in the 5th gen.

Could be true. In the end all that matters really is that it is built well and I get to drive it for a long time. The collectibility possibility is just a cool bonus if it ever came into play, but is not at all why I am buying this car. If it was too collectible I may hesitate to drive it. It is meant to be driven, and driven it shall be!
camarocam is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #1449
mickey123456
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ZL1
Posts: 98
I have a solution to the whole QC hold dilemma! We all march down to the local Chevy dealers, and tell them to shove the ZL1 where the sun don't shine. Then we could all sit here and start another 60 page thread on how we stuck it to GM. Wouldn't it be great? Too bad we want this freaking car so bad.
mickey123456 is offline  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #1450
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey123456 View Post
I have a solution to the whole QC hold dilemma! We all march down to the local Chevy dealers, and tell them to shove the ZL1 where the sun don't shine. Then we could all sit here and start another 60 page thread on how we stuck it to GM. Wouldn't it be great? Too bad we want this freaking car so bad.
....nice sarcasim....!!!
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Tags
2012, boss vs zl1, camaro, camaro zl1, gt500 vs 700hp z/28, zl! dosp, zl1, zl1 hold, zl1 qc

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FE3 to ZL1 Zway Bar UpgradeZ and ZL1 ZuZpenZion PackageZ JusticePete Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 111 05-08-2013 11:38 PM
NEW Official Details on Camaro ZL1 -- 580hp / 556 lb-ft torque!! DarthNacho08 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 421 09-27-2011 05:17 PM
The 2011+ Mustang Thread GatorBlue371 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 11878 08-23-2011 01:30 PM
SLP ZL1 TESTED!!!!! SVT_SRT 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 5 08-03-2011 09:50 AM
Camaro5 Fest II Caravan/Convoy Thread tribone 2011 Camaro5 Fest (II) 13 04-12-2011 03:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.