Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #57
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Yes. I knew what you meant. But again, cost goes way up and I get Larry the cable guy working on it.

Plus, what is being accomplished? The tranny brace will still be in the way I think. What I need is to be able to weld in the Y pipe leaving room to go in before the tranny brace.

Right?
Left


Didn't know you were calling yourself Larry the cable guy now.



The tranny brace wont be in the way if you section it just right.

you have a few options.

you still haven't explained why you don't want to cut into the headers.

Here's Borla's headers






and here's a different brand (different car too, but the point is the same)



what is the difference between that length of pipe being one solid piece with the header or being the intake portion of the cutout ypipe?


another thought I had, but I'd have to look close on distances, would be to section the X-pipe part of the exhaust, move it farther back and run the cutouts right of the S pipes.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #58
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,728
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
another thought I had, but I'd have to look close on distances, would be to section the X-pipe part of the exhaust, move it farther back and run the cutouts right of the S pipes.
I thought about that too. But I'd prefer to dump right by the headers.

Tell me this.... is there any negetive effects to dump right past the o2 bung? Seems like that would be loud as shit.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #59
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I thought about that too. But I'd prefer to dump right by the headers.

Tell me this.... is there any negetive effects to dump right past the o2 bung? Seems like that would be loud as shit.
as long as you have enough room for the y-pipe to connect to the header, I shouldnt see why not. cus its not truly dumping right there, its still going to be going another 8-12" away before exiting.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #60
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,728
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
as long as you have enough room for the y-pipe to connect to the header, I shouldnt see why not. cus its not truly dumping right there, its still going to be going another 8-12" away before exiting.
But that's right at the tranny brace so I may have to do like you said and move the S pipes back some and put the cutouts right behind the tranny brace.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #61
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
But that's right at the tranny brace so I may have to do like you said and move the S pipes back some and put the cutouts right behind the tranny brace.
depends on which way you orient the cutouts (facing in or out) and the clock index (3 o'clock position, 2 o'clock position, etc). also, remember with the 3 bolt flange ones, you can orient the motor independently of the cutout itself. so if you need to make some room, you can have the motor angled up over the exhaust pipe and still have the cutout dumping outward properly.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #62
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,728
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
depends on which way you orient the cutouts (facing in or out) and the clock index (3 o'clock position, 2 o'clock position, etc). also, remember with the 3 bolt flange ones, you can orient the motor independently of the cutout itself. so if you need to make some room, you can have the motor angled up over the exhaust pipe and still have the cutout dumping outward properly.
They wont face out at all. The bottom of the car wont' allow it.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #63
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
They wont face out at all. The bottom of the car wont' allow it.
make room with the mario hammer
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #64
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,728
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
make room with the mario hammer
The other problem I have is that my headers scrape the ground on those areas when my car high centers. So a flange from the Y pipe and motors will have to angle up. So I need to be able to fit a couple turn downs on there too.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #65
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
The other problem I have is that my headers scrape the ground on those areas when my car high centers. So a flange from the Y pipe and motors will have to angle up. So I need to be able to fit a couple turn downs on there too.
the turndowns should not extend (Vertically) past the outer edges of the flange.

Basically, if you were to take the turndown and look directly down the center of the mounting flange, you should not see any part of it stick past the outside of the flange.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #66
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 
Darth_Emma's Avatar
 
Drives: under contruction
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 13,149
pssst... you do realize that you have coilovers, right?... you can raise your car up a little...

(I know, I know... not desirable, but it is an option... you would, of course, have to have the car realigned if you did change the height.)
__________________
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #67
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,728
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
the turndowns should not extend (Vertically) past the outer edges of the flange.

Basically, if you were to take the turndown and look directly down the center of the mounting flange, you should not see any part of it stick past the outside of the flange.
NO, I get that, but the Y pipe has a flange on the end of it. So if I put it on the pope coming off the header then I have to rotate the part with the flange upward so the flange on the Y pipe doesn't scrape. This will mean the exhaust is dumping at a slight upward angle. So Id need to put a turndown on the dumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
pssst... you do realize that you have coilovers, right?... you can raise your car up a little...

(I know, I know... not desirable, but it is an option... you would, of course, have to have the car realigned if you did change the height.)
If I have to raise the car, I ditch the cutout idea.

Another reason the noweeds are desirable. The motors an the noweeds are higher than the pipe. So the whole thing is flush or raised.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #68
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
NO, I get that, but the Y pipe has a flange on the end of it. So if I put it on the pope coming off the header then I have to rotate the part with the flange upward so the flange on the Y pipe doesn't scrape. This will mean the exhaust is dumping at a slight upward angle. So Id need to put a turndown on the dumps.

If I have to raise the car, I ditch the cutout idea.

Another reason the noweeds are desirable. The motors an the noweeds are higher than the pipe. So the whole thing is flush or raised.
STOP!


hammer time!
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #69
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,728
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #70
WadeWilson
How U Doin?
 
WadeWilson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Sky Redline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Californication
Posts: 24,129
I never knew that choosing and buying cutouts was so difficult.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
QTP Electric Exhaust Cutouts Pictures and Videos!!! Quick Time Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 51 08-08-2015 09:09 PM
New low profile electric exhaust cutouts for your Camaro @ PFYC.com Redshift V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 8 08-14-2014 04:19 PM
Headers w/ exhaust cutouts OHIOSS Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 4 01-22-2012 01:13 AM
QTP Electric Exhaust Cutouts Installed on L99 with Borla! thespymaster Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 2 04-03-2010 06:03 PM
exhaust cutouts Vs. Diverters ZeeTwentyFour General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 2 07-10-2009 08:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.