Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
DangerZL1

 
Drives: Accord
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Memphis, TN Area
Posts: 1,910
Auto trans launch control

I've read that only the manual trans cars have launch control and the auto trans is actually a tenth quicker. How do you launch the auto trans car without launch control? What system enables the auto car to maintain enough traction to get a good launch, or is it just right foot modulation?
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 89 IROC 350
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Back roads, southern Ohio
Posts: 12,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
I've read that only the manual trans cars have launch control and the auto trans is actually a tenth quicker. How do you launch the auto trans car without launch control? What system enables the auto car to maintain enough traction to get a good launch, or is it just right foot modulation?
practice. A stall converter.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
adamgl
 
adamgl's Avatar
 
Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 533
Hold brake and rev to rpm you want. Then let off brake and put right foot to the floor. Suspension mode 4 or 5? Maybe competitive mode on Traction control.
__________________
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS A6 Sold :( ARH, FM Super 44's, K&N CAI, ADM scoop, Diablo Tune, RX catch can.
'98 Camaro Z28 M6 TSP headers, true duals, AIR/EGR/AC/muffler delete, CAI, Subframe con.,
shock tower brace, Stg. 2 T56 rebuild. Monster Clutch Stg. 2, Electric Water Pump, TT2 wheels, 315 NT555's
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
IROCanSS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 89 IROC 350
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Back roads, southern Ohio
Posts: 12,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
Hold brake and rev to rpm you want. Then let off brake and put right foot to the floor. Suspension mode 4 or 5? Maybe competitive mode on Traction control.
WTF you talking about suspension mode 4 or 5?
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck
 
Drew10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
WTF you talking about suspension mode 4 or 5?
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
WTF you talking about suspension mode 4 or 5?
The ZL1 has multiple suspension modes, #1 - #5. Similar to how the Camaro has a performance mode. Basically hitting the T/C will change the way the magnetic ride handles. #1 being for street driving and such and then #5 being for the auto x or the track.

This is covered in numerous threads in this section.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,275
But to answer the OPs question; no the automatic does not have launch control. You can either rev it while holding the brake or just floor it when the light turns green.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
GoldenBear
Bear Backer
 
GoldenBear's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
The ZL1 has multiple suspension modes, #1 - #5. Similar to how the Camaro has a performance mode. Basically hitting the T/C will change the way the magnetic ride handles. #1 being for street driving and such and then #5 being for the auto x or the track.

This is covered in numerous threads in this section.
It's easy for people to get confused about the different modes that the ZL1 has. There are the default TCS/StabiliTrack systems, which can be turned on and off, and there are the PTM Modes from 1 to 5, and then there are the Selective Ride Control modes, Tour and Sport, which can be selected at any time when PTM is not active. With PTM active the suspension setting (Selective Ride Control) is determined automatically by the PTM mode.
__________________
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
It's easy for people to get confused about the different modes that the ZL1 has. There are the default TCS/StabiliTrack systems, which can be turned on and off, and there are the PTM Modes from 1 to 5, and then there are the Selective Ride Control modes, Tour and Sport, which can be selected at any time when PTM is not active. With PTM active the suspension setting (Selective Ride Control) is determined automatically by the PTM mode.
^ This
__________________
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
OVRKLL
 
Drives: Soon 2 B a ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hon. Hawaii
Posts: 140
Being that I don't have a ZL1 YET, and I'm new to this forum, I do have a question regarding these different modes and what they do...I though PTM was Pedal to Metal...sorry.

Does the owner's manual explain what all these modes are, or does one need to search the internet for it?

Thanks!
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,355
It was my understanding there are 5 modes. With 1 & 2 being Tour and 3 - 5 being Sport. And with the Tour and Sport buttons being plus and minus for selecting the different modes.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
GoldenBear
Bear Backer
 
GoldenBear's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
It was my understanding there are 5 modes. With 1 & 2 being Tour and 3 - 5 being Sport. And with the Tour and Sport buttons being plus and minus for selecting the different modes.
There are 5 PTM modes:

1 - Wet
2 - Dry
3 - Sport 1
4 - Sport 2
5 - Race

When in PTM Mode the - TOUR and + SPORT buttons do scroll up or down through the modes.

When not in PTM Mode there are the Selective Ride Control settings, Tour and Sport, that can be changed at any time.
__________________
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
Being that I don't have a ZL1 YET, and I'm new to this forum, I do have a question regarding these different modes and what they do...I though PTM was Pedal to Metal...sorry.

Does the owner's manual explain what all these modes are, or does one need to search the internet for it?

Thanks!
Check out the Owner's Manual on-line and WELCOME!!!
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.1:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam and valvetrain/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/e'fan conversion/aluminum radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners by me/LED exterior lighting/Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
KKreme15

 
KKreme15's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dayton, MD
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
There are 5 PTM modes:

1 - Wet
2 - Dry
3 - Sport 1
4 - Sport 2
5 - Race

When in PTM Mode the - TOUR and + SPORT buttons do scroll up or down through the modes.

When not in PTM Mode there are the Selective Ride Control settings, Tour and Sport, that can be changed at any time.
So you can be in TOUR for mode 3?
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 Camaro PCM Pin-out Description and Wire Colors (LS3 & L99) raptor Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 13 11-14-2015 04:07 AM
5th Gen Suspension -- The Book JusticePete Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 151 05-07-2015 05:52 PM
Acronyms? KEEP RT Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 20 03-11-2011 08:57 PM
Transmission output shaft hiller72 Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 267 12-02-2009 08:39 PM
Who HAS used Launch Control: does it really do anything? drtwo 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 30 11-09-2009 07:27 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.