Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
GlennP

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Are drag radials on a LS3/M6 a bad idea with stock drivetrain?

I have a 2SS/M6 thats fully bolted on, 390 RWHP on a mustang dyno. The only suspension stuff done is trailing arms, toe rods & poly bushings on them.

Would going to a 20" drag radial (stock size) for drag racing be a quick way to grenade my diff/axles/driveshaft? I'm super paranoid about breaking stuff :(. I wouldnt be doing clutch dumps at 5000rpm or anything. Speaking of which, whats the max RPM you would safely consider launching at with the M6 and stock drivetrain?

Thanks!
GlennP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
lewylew

Drives: 2010 ZL550
You should be fine. Just watch the wheel hop. Not sure with regards to max RPM.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
My stock drivetrain held up real well to 637 RWHP for 5000 miles and 700+RWHP for about 2000 miles on the stock tires (during fall and winter)
That is the only thing i attribute to their longevity.

Going to DR, you obviously raise the risk of lobbing a grenade into the fray.

I have a spare DS and axles you can have for cheap in the event you dont fare too well. My stock stuff was in surprisingly good shape upon inspection.

Just my$.02
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: STUPID SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 300M axles, 3.5"alum DS, MCLeod RXT clutch, 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
ams450r

Drives: 2007 Chevy HD LTZ
Ya,not good if you plan on drag racing we broke a stock out put shaft and aftermarket shaft with 20" Nittos NT05. We run a DSS 9" also.We do leave off of 2-step and it was set high when we broke aftermarket shaft trying to keep from wheel hope and trying to spin and the track had alot of bite so we lost. What you need is side wall to help with drive train shock. On the 2010 power tour I seen stock camaro break output shaft using launch control on a make shift drag strip at Newton,Iowa circle track. We are switch to a 4l80 this year. Just my 2 cents and laying under the car, taking tranny out to many times to count.
ams450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I was told by a man that builds axles and stuff for a living.... at a very high level, of a customer of his that was throwing a heck of a lot of HP at some very under strength axles...

When he asked the guy how he maintained the axles without tearing stuff up, the guy responded, "my left foot is the best tool in my tool box."

Meaning, he slipped the clutch and was easy on the shift point releases of the clutch... and he was running 8's and 9's... He didn't break things and have to work on them because he was smooth...

You break axles, diffs, drive shafts and output shafts on stock power... pretty much anywhere, but most assuredly at the track... if you are not Smooth... I have a friend that went well over 200 passes with an M6 and 650 or so RWHP...

When my car was stock, I left the line at 3500, slipped the clutch a bit coming off the light, and when it felt good, mashed the go pedal... I was quite hard on the shift point releases... chirping every one through the quarter... (Fastest stock time 12.7 at 113 MPH on the OEM P-Zero's....)I was coached by some good people and have eased the really hard shifts a bit... I am now able to leave the line pretty much as hard as I want... due to equipment upgrades... Remember that Smooth is fast... jerky shifts and too hard of a launch are actually going to slow your times and trap speeds.

One thing that will help is some smaller diameter wheels for racing... for two reasons, less rotating weight, and the taller the sidewalls, the easier it is on the drive line... Short hard sidewalls have no give... I just sold my 18's and MT drag radials and I'm going to slicks on a 17 inch wheel.... Better traction and softer on the driveline...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Camaro21

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I was told by a man that builds axles and stuff for a living.... at a very high level, of a customer of his that was throwing a heck of a lot of HP at some very under strength axles...

When he asked the guy how he maintained the axles without tearing stuff up, the guy responded, "my left foot is the best tool in my tool box."

Meaning, he slipped the clutch and was easy on the shift point releases of the clutch... and he was running 8's and 9's... He didn't break things and have to work on them because he was smooth...

You break axles, diffs, drive shafts and output shafts on stock power... pretty much anywhere, but most assuredly at the track... if you are not Smooth... I have a friend that went well over 200 passes with an M6 and 650 or so RWHP...

When my car was stock, I left the line at 3500, slipped the clutch a bit coming off the light, and when it felt good, mashed the go pedal... I was quite hard on the shift point releases... chirping every one through the quarter... (Fastest stock time 12.7 at 113 MPH on the OEM P-Zero's....)I was coached by some good people and have eased the really hard shifts a bit... I am now able to leave the line pretty much as hard as I want... due to equipment upgrades... Remember that Smooth is fast... jerky shifts and too hard of a launch are actually going to slow your times and trap speeds.

One thing that will help is some smaller diameter wheels for racing... for two reasons, less rotating weight, and the taller the sidewalls, the easier it is on the drive line... Short hard sidewalls have no give... I just sold my 18's and MT drag radials and I'm going to slicks on a 17 inch wheel.... Better traction and softer on the driveline...
Are you talking about me or someone else? If not me, then make that 2 friends.. As you say, being smooth is the key !!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro21 View Post
Are you talking about me or someone else? If not me, then make that 2 friends.. As you say, being smooth is the key !!
Yup, I was talking about you....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
Gotta love that story......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

If you want to see some of our latest Hi-Tech stuff click the picture below....
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
mstanford.us
Mark Stanford

Drives: Black 2010 SS LS3
I've done about 75 passes with Nitto NT05R p315X20 on 10" wide AR torque thrusts with stock drive train, and I'm definitely NOT smooth with the left foot, though I'm working on it. 12.5@115 was my best pass last year. Nothing has broken yet.
CAI, Kooks 1 7/8" 3", LG G6X3, Remote tune by Ted Jannetty JRE God of Tuning, ID 8500 injectors, ZL1 Fuel system, BMR, Yellaterra, Lunati Valve train, Street Slayer Carbon Twin. Numbers pending Dyno test.
mstanford.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
blk5genss

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
I rolled around on 20 in NT555r's and went to the track on stock axles quite a few times didn't break anything but I was gentle off the line, I never left the line at over 2500 rpm's! The car will let you know when you do a lit dry hop after the burn out! If you leave higher than that you're probably gonna blow the tires off and anytime I left under 2000 it bogged! You do have to be smooth!!
TSP Cam 231/236 112 LSA,TSP UD,Fast 102 w/Ported TB,AirAid CAI,1 7/8 catted Stainless Power LT,3 IN MBRP 3 in Exhaust/180*,Spohn LTA's,Toe Links, Drag Bar,Diff bushings,Hurst shifter,Hendrix/DSS 1400HP Axles,Nitto NT555R's,Lethal Performance Custon Tune 480 RWHP 454 RWTQ!! Best run so far is 11.94@121 LPE 3.91's Coming soon NW 102, and DSS DS, then car should be complete!!!
blk5genss is offline   Reply With Quote