Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
"The Reaper" Build Thread and Story..

***Update*** First and foremost I want to thank everyone on Camaro5 and in the car community who were so generous and so helpful as our daughter fought for her life against brain cancer. What a great bunch of people and we couldn't be more humbled by the outpouring of love and support. Regrettably, Macey lost her fight this year on May 13, 2013. We were all with her at home when she finally gave in to such a horrible horrible disease. It has impacted and changed my family in so many ways. We will continue to grieve for a long time as Macey was such a sweet, young, beautiful girl and her smile and sweet personality will be missed as long as we live on this earth. We will continue to race the Camaro and find ways to raise awareness in the hopes that a cure is in the future and that other families don't have to live through such a terrible outcome. Thank you again to everyone. We will never forget.....

So the Camaro comes to Vegas this week and Sam at the Speed Shop at Fairway Chevrolet will begin a series of mods. The first round will be pretty exciting. Will be doing a baseline on the dyno and start the build right after. Will be adding video and pictures as we go along to document the build.

This car and project is all apart of a dream I've had for a long time. Since I was very little I've had a fascination with two things, cars and music. I've lived the musical dream by playing professionally for over 20 years but never really had the $$ to do what I've wanted with cars. I had a 1970 Chevelle SS in high school and loved it! My best friend and I spent many nights tinkering with our cars and I found a lot of joy in working on it.

My wife and I like most hard working American families sacrificed a lot and always gave everything we had to our 5 daughters. We raised them to be amazing young women and over time as the jobs and experience got better we were able to afford better and better things. My career path lead me down the road of RF electronics and engineering where I have worked with AT&T, NASA, and others in this field. I am currently working with L3 and am a DOD contractor who just finished a 3 year deployment in the Middle East. I would probaby still be there but a life changing event happened to my family in August of last year. One of my daughters who is a twin was having physical and psychosomatic symptoms that were concerning us. We took her in after many doctors told us she was fine and had another doctor look at her more closely. He found some concerning issues and scheduled an MRI. The MRI revealed our worst nightmares. She had a brain tumor. To make a long story short she was diagnosed and it was found to be cancer. It's in her motor strip and cannot be operated on. Macey (our daughter) is now 20, has been through radiation, chemo and continues chemo treatments monthly. She is such an amazing girl, so pretty, so full of life and it is killing my wife and I and our other daughters watching her fight this terrible disease. But we stay positive, keep her healthy and continue to hope for the best outcome. This car, this project is a tribute to my daughter as well and it's real good distraction stuff for my wife and I. It keeps my mind off of the negativity that goes along with seeing your kid battle cancer. And it's fun for everyone in the family. Macey wants to drive the car soon and we're trying to get her walking again so she can. The tumor has made her right side very weak. But, upwards and onwards. We are a strong family and we will beat this.

Update: Two of Macey's Sisters, Alyssa and Maranda (Macey's twin) have started racing the car to help raise cancer awareness. They have been doing very good and there are some videos of them later in this thread. We are putting together drives for charity and have local shop owners doing dyno days to help support her cause and to raise money for cancer research and awareness. These girls are making quite the waves and we will continue to look for sponsors and march on for the end of such a terrible disease.

Here is a picture of our beautiful daughter
Name:  IMG_1097.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  38.6 KB

The car is currently in the shop and is having the follwing mods completed as I type this. So what's on the parts list to start?

Already installed:

SLP 1 3/4" LTH's with High flow cats
Power Flow 3" X-pipe
PowerFlo Cat-back Exhaust

To be Installed:

L99 to LS3 Conversion DOD/AFM Delete, valley tray, cover etc..
TSP Cam 231/236 - 112 LSA (love the sound and specs of this cam)
GMPP CNC Ported LS3 Heads
New guides, lifters
Comp springs
Comp Push rods
LPE 160* thermostat
SLP UD Pulley
Yank SS2800 Stall/Torque Converter
Tran Cooler
Roto-Fab CAI
RX-Catch Can
Vmax Ported TB
SLP Resonator Delete
Dyno Tune

I'm hoping this will get me in the mid to mid-high 400's at the wheel. From what I've seen on other builds I'm confident it will. Going to try this out for awhile and look into some suspension mods, gearing, and wheels/tires down the road.. Stay tuned.. Update: Best was 450RWHP/402RWT. Mission accomplished!

New Baseline Dyno Video (Before Mods)

After Mods

So here is a list of all the mods on the car to date along with a picture of the car to date modeled by one of my beautiful daughters Erica:

List of Mods on 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Auto

· Texas Speed Cam 231/236 .641”/.615” - 112LSA
· GM Performance Parts CNC/Ported LS3 Heads
· Comp dual Valve springs and Rods
· LPE 160* Thermostat
· SLP Long Tube Headers
· PowerFlo High Flow cats & 3” X-pipe
· PowerFlo Exhaust (Resonators deleted)
· DOD/AFM Delete L99 to LS3 Valvetrain conversion
· Roto-Fab CAI
· SLP UD pulley
· Vmax Ported Throttle Body
· RX Catch Can (Painted SIM)
· Yank SS2800 Torque Converter w/ trans cooler
· 3.45 Gears
· Forgestar F14 20” 10.5” rear / 9” front
· Nitto 555R Drag Radials 305/35R20
· Heritage Grill (Painted SIM)
· Ironplated.com Custom Engine cover
· Xoticskins Inc – Vinyl graphics
· Fesler Single Pillar pod with PLX A/F gauge
· Oracle Grill lighting (Red)
· Custom Dyno tune by Sam Smith of Sullivan Inc, Las Vegas NV
· HP rating: 450RWHP / 405RWT
· ¼ mile best – 11.6 @120 mph. (corrected)

Last edited by SixGracing; 08-15-2013 at 11:28 AM.
SixGracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
kenkartasasmita
COTW [4/23/12]

Drives: Camaro Of The Week.
congrats.

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession

2010 Camaro V6 1LT | Kooks Catback Exhaust + MBRP exhaust tips | TF3 Stripes | GM Transformers Emblem and Door Sill | Stillen splitter | GMX rear diffuser | K&N CAI | Pulstar iridium spark plugs. | Gm High Wing Spoiler | BBK LT Headers | BMR 4 Point Strut Bar | BMR 1" Lowering Springs | ZL1 Side Skirt | Black Ice-olator | Trifecta Tune |

My Build Thread
kenkartasasmita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkartasasmita View Post
congrats.
Haha, pics coming soon!!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
stlrammer

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS SGM
Good luck with the mods. Sounds like you are on a roll.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
Good luck with the mods. Sounds like you are on a roll.
Thanks! I hope so. I'm sure it will be the beginning of a never ending quest for more power.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
SixGracing

Can anyone give some insight on gearing? I'm thinking that with the addition of a 2800 Stall/Torque converter the stock gearing might not work? I know that the Manuals come with 3:45 gears I think and have also heard these work good in the autos once modded. Any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
Looking good keep it up and try and post some pics
Old 03-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: RED DEMON!
I promise i will not say anything about pictures, but i am waiting patiently for them!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farthestnorth View Post
I promise i will not say anything about pictures, but i am waiting patiently for them!
sorry guys. Car goes in Monday. I was just posting the preliminary work to get everyone all amped up for the build..

I'm overly excited and am having a hard time containing myself. I promise, pics and vids the minute I get them!

Old 03-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 JDP Track Spec Camaro
Nice! Sounds like a good list of parts and Sam is a great guy! You'll break 400 RWHP no problem. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
Can anyone give some insight on gearing? I'm thinking that with the addition of a 2800 Stall/Torque converter the stock gearing might not work? I know that the Manuals come with 3:45 gears I think and have also heard these work good in the autos once modded. Any suggestions?
We've done a number of LS3 diffs 3.23 to 3.45 swaps and that is an excellent option. The majority of the aftermarket gears have had issues. LPE offers a 3.70 and a 3.90 that are made by the OE manufacture. We have an N/A A6 making 420 RWHP with our L99 to LS3 conversion, Stage 2 N/A Cam, KOOKS LTs w/cats, Airaid CAI and a JDP tune. Once you start making more HP you'll want to start working on the suspension as well. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley

Click HERE to send a PM | jordan@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
SixGracing

On the way to Vegas!!

Thanks! Just got the Camaro loaded up and will be off to Vegas in the morning. Pretty freakin stoked!! Here's a pic of my baby on the trailer, loaded behind my other baby (Dodge 6.7 liter Cummins).

Name:  Camaro Truck to Vegas.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  302.9 KB

Will definitely get ahold of you guys about some other performance mods. Thanks for the email..

This is pretty humorous. So I get this Uhaul car hauler. I pull the Camaro up onto the hauler and notice I can't get the door open to get out. So, I take my big 6'-4", 260 pound butt and try to crawl through the window. Not happenin through those little slits Camaro's call windows. So we open the door as far as it will go (about 8 inches) and I'm able to squeeze out, after I take my pants off (so the rivets don't jack up my doors). If you could have only seen this. So after 20 minutes of scratching my head, contemplating having my wife crawl through the trunk access, I start to wonder how this is going to work. Then, it dawns on me. I used one of these trailers before but it was a long time ago. I look at the fenders onthe trailer and the blasted things un-latch and fold down! OMG how funny and stupid did I feel all at the same time! Seriously, I promise, I'm really not as stupid as I just made myself look. But, needless to say, fenders down, the door opened all the way and I finished up loading the Camaro. HAHA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
Nice! Sounds like a good list of parts and Sam is a great guy! You'll break 400 RWHP no problem. Looking forward to seeing the results!

We've done a number of LS3 diffs 3.23 to 3.45 swaps and that is an excellent option. The majority of the aftermarket gears have had issues. LPE offers a 3.70 and a 3.90 that are made by the OE manufacture. We have an N/A A6 making 420 RWHP with our L99 to LS3 conversion, Stage 2 N/A Cam, KOOKS LTs w/cats, Airaid CAI and a JDP tune. Once you start making more HP you'll want to start working on the suspension as well. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 03-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
SixGracing

Arrived in Vegas!! Car goes in tomorrow! I had to bring it to work tonight though since I work with a bunch of British dudes. Apparently owning a Mustang is huge if you're from the UK. It's apparent here since the parking lot is half full of Mustangs. NO CAMARO's! So, I had to throw one in the mix. I swear, the Mustangs almost looked like they were cowering. Like someone had just dropped a wolf in a herd of sheep. lol
Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
Thanks! Just got the Camaro loaded up and will be off to Vegas in the morning. Pretty freakin stoked!! Here's a pic of my baby on the trailer, loaded behind my other baby (Dodge 6.7 liter Cummins).

Attachment 345855

Will definitely get ahold of you guys about some other performance mods. Thanks for the email..

This is pretty humorous. So I get this Uhaul car hauler. I pull the Camaro up onto the hauler and notice I can't get the door open to get out. So, I take my big 6'-4", 260 pound butt and try to crawl through the window. Not happenin through those little slits Camaro's call windows. So we open the door as far as it will go (about 8 inches) and I'm able to squeeze out, after I take my pants off (so the rivets don't jack up my doors). If you could have only seen this. So after 20 minutes of scratching my head, contemplating having my wife crawl through the trunk access, I start to wonder how this is going to work. Then, it dawns on me. I used one of these trailers before but it was a long time ago. I look at the fenders onthe trailer and the blasted things un-latch and fold down! OMG how funny and stupid did I feel all at the same time! Seriously, I promise, I'm really not as stupid as I just made myself look. But, needless to say, fenders down, the door opened all the way and I finished up loading the Camaro. HAHA!
That is pretty funny!

The Camaro looks great! I have an 2011 SS/RS SIM M6 and love it! Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions. Have a great day and I'll talk to you soon!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215

Click HERE to send a PM | jordan@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
Old 03-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #14
SixGracing

Well, I got the Camaro into the Speed Shop at Fairway Chevrolet. Got to meet Sam and crew. Great guys! He went ahead and did the baseline dyno. I was pretty surprised since most L99 Autos make around 310-318 at the wheels. At least that's what I've seen and/or heard. He ran a 2010 bone stock and it put down 314RWHP. My car has the SLP LTH's and exhaust stuff and everything else is stock. So 344RWHP is pretty impressive considering.

I decided to add the GMPP CNC, Polished and ported heads to my list of parts going on this week. I figure while the engine is apart and the heads are off, might as well put the better heads on. So should end up with some pretty good results when all is done this week. Pretty excited about the way this beast is going to sound too. I'm deleting the SLP mid-pipe resonators as well. Should be pretty wicked!!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Sounds like it is going to rock. I have just a CAI, X-Pipe and GMPP mufflers and put down 336 average on 3 runs in 95 degree heat last summer. Vengance tells me with CAM and headers they will have me at 440. Still saving up the 6K for the big upgrade.

It was nice to see me pull harder that some other L99's there on the dyno day we had.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #16
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Sounds like it is going to rock. I have just a CAI, X-Pipe and GMPP mufflers and put down 336 average on 3 runs in 95 degree heat last summer. Vengance tells me with CAM and headers they will have me at 440. Still saving up the 6K for the big upgrade.

It was nice to see me pull harder that some other L99's there on the dyno day we had.
Seems as though just a few mods getting these engines breathing and it starts increasing the HP gains right away. Not to say that some of these breathing techniques aren't expensive. I dropped about $3K on the exhaust and my upgrades this week, like your quote are right about $6K. So there's almost 10 large on better air. But, the payoff for us gear heads is nothing short of automotive-orgasmic.

I'm hoping for the same numbers on HP. I'm already at 344RWHP, the cam is quoted as adding 80HP peak, and my tuner and mechanic told me today that the GMPP heads and a cam usually net close to 100HP total. Adding the CAI and UD pulley and maybe even a little out of the torque converter since it's lighter I should be able to, or at least hoping to get to the 450-460 RWHP mark. More pictures and videos will definitely be coming soon.

The next round of video will come after the build when I get my new beastly car down to the track. Time to see what 1/4 mile and 60ft numbers I'm going to hit.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
SixGracing

Quote:

Attachment 345855

Hey Jordan, I tried calling your business and just got a series of answering machines and "Leave a Message" prompts. There was another shop in Sandy that installed E-Force superchargers back when I was looking at those. I could NEVER get these people on the phone and they were hardly ever at their store. Sorry, I'm just old fashioned and believe in talking to human beings. Let me know what your hours are, when you might be around, and I'll try and call back. I'm interested in your options on gearing. Talk to you later..
Old 03-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
WHIPPLECHARGED

Drives: 2011 1SS
Nice build! All that extra power should help to put a smile on your face! Looking forward to seeing that SIM beast at the track!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
Hey Jordan, I tried calling your business and just got a series of answering machines and "Leave a Message" prompts. There was another shop in Sandy that installed E-Force superchargers back when I was looking at those. I could NEVER get these people on the phone and they were hardly ever at their store. Sorry, I'm just old fashioned and believe in talking to human beings. Let me know what your hours are, when you might be around, and I'll try and call back. I'm interested in your options on gearing. Talk to you later..
I apologize. We were out to lunch; we've been buried the last few weeks getting our Halo packages shipping and in the shop. We're actually wrapping up an L99 Conversion now with one of our Blower Cams as well. I always return calls so please be sure to leave a message if you happen to get the machine again. Have a great day and I'll talk to you soon!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215

Old 03-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
I apologize. We were out to lunch; we've been buried the last few weeks getting our Halo packages shipping and in the shop. We're actually wrapping up an L99 Conversion now with one of our Blower Cams as well. I always return calls so please be sure to leave a message if you happen to get the machine again. Have a great day and I'll talk to you soon!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215
Hey Jordan,

i'm off to work but am off tomorrow and the next 4 days. I'll give you a call. When I pull the Camaro back to Utah next week perhaps I'll stop by on the way home and check out the shop. Talk to you soon.

Ken
Old 03-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #21
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPPLECHARGED View Post
Nice build! All that extra power should help to put a smile on your face! Looking forward to seeing that SIM beast at the track!
thanks WHIPPLECHARGED! I look forward to the track as well. Although I don't plan on getting in a lane with you and your SC monster car. Would be fun to run though and see how the car does with the current mods being done. What nights to you go out to the track? I'm assuming the Nevada Speedway? I would love to run it in the 1/4 before I take it back to Utah to see how it does here compared to home.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #22
SixGracing

Stopped by the shop today to see how the car was coming along. Pretty shocking to see the entire front end and tranny out of my car and sitting on a cart. But they are making progress. They installed the new valley tray removing the DOD junk. Installed the TSP Cam, front cover and the SLP UD Pulley. They are waiting on the GMPP Heads which should go on tomorrow. Once they're done there they will work on the Yank 2800 TC. Get it all re-installed into the car and work on the Trans cooler, Roto-Fab CAI, 160* thermostat etc.. and then the tune. I'm going to make sure I'm there to watch the tune. Getting pretty excited. Here are some pictures of the "Reaper" all torn apart. :(

Name:  Car Front.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  268.3 KB

Name:  Engine Side.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  276.1 KB

Name:  Engine tran.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  299.7 KB

Name:  UD Pulley.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  224.0 KB

Name:  Underneathe car.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  212.2 KB

Name:  Valley tray.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  281.9 KB

Name:  parts.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  246.0 KB

Name:  DSCF2602.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  84.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2620.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  DSCF2621.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  DSCF2631.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  78.5 KB

Name:  DSCF2634.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  DSCF2633.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  DSCF2638.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  DSCF2639.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  103.4 KB

Last edited by SixGracing; 07-24-2012 at 09:27 PM.
SixGracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #23
SixGracing

You can also view this build on the the Fairway Chevy Speed Shops blog that Sam puts togehter. My build is titled "Fear the Reaper".. Pretty awesome stuff here. Thanks Sam.

http://thespeedshopatfairwaychevrolet.blogspot.com/
Old 03-14-2012, 03:04 AM   #24
SixGracing

C'mon, admit it, thems some sexy headers!!

Name:  Headers.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  162.8 KB
Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #25
WHIPPLECHARGED

Drives: 2011 1SS
Quote:
thanks WHIPPLECHARGED! I look forward to the track as well. Although I don't plan on getting in a lane with you and your SC monster car. Would be fun to run though and see how the car does with the current mods being done. What nights to you go out to the track? I'm assuming the Nevada Speedway? I would love to run it in the 1/4 before I take it back to Utah to see how it does here compared to home.
The only track day for street cars in March is on the 16th. The track is on Speedway BLVD. The last exit on the I15 when leaving town towards Utah.