Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 03-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
actireman

Drives: 2011 denali hd2500
Is anyone putting headers on?

And if so, who is the best and or what kind? Also, are you keeping stock cats on or changing them also? Thanks, I'm trying to start to get my ducks in a row.
actireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Blueclyde

Drives: 2014 ZL1
No, I'm not going to make any performance modifications at all to this car. I just sold my 2011 2SS that I had made a bunch of modifications to (heads, cam, headers, high flow cats, etc.). If I were going to put headers on the ZL1 I would go with Kooks with their high flow catalysts. If you are going to do the headers you may as well do the catalysts. Just my opinion here...the warranty and ease of resale (if you ever needed to sell it) is much more valuable than 100 extra HP on a car that already makes enough from the factory. Agian, for me no mods. Some will and that's cool.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
I will be throwing on some Kooks LT headers with cats as soon as mine arrives! I also recommend going with high flow cats, less smell, not as loud etc.

/Erik
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Mr.Maro23

Drives: 2010 2lt chevy camaro
Erik your getting the Zl1? Cant wait to see that monster
Mr.Maro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maro23 View Post
Erik your getting the Zl1? Cant wait to see that monster
You betcha! White with carbon insert. Got some sick plans for it

/Erik
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
556hp

Drives: 10 CTS-V
The cats should already be high flow if anything like the CTS-V. Change the exhaust and be sure to tune as well. Nothin simple anymore.
556hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It'll be interesting to learn the gains. I'm getting conflicting information... I've seen some big shops claim LTs on LS9 motors don't really produce much gain; I've read some comments by shops in our Community that suggest something similar...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 556hp View Post
The cats should already be high flow if anything like the CTS-V. Change the exhaust and be sure to tune as well. Nothin simple anymore.
usually with longtubes though placement is not correct. the factory uually puts the cats close to the manifolds now a days.

I probabaly will. I have read that when you add headers though sometimes you can lose boost. If this is true I want to do headers at the same time as my pulley upgrade so they will both work together.

I will definatly go with cats if I do the extra fuel smell annoys me now that I am not used to it anymore.

If I do I think I will use either kooks or american racing.

for me I would like to get the car well into the 11's on stock rubber. that is kind of what I am used to driving right now. other wise I will lose penis size for sure.

It is hard to say at this point though. I though I was going to mod my Z06 a bunch and it is just pretty fast as is so I concentrated on paying it off instead of modding. if it is fast "enough" I might just leave it alone for a bit and buy the .50cal I want instead. It all comes down towhether or not I want to try and outrun the Zombies or stand and fight.
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
......... and buy the .50cal I want instead. It all comes down towhether or not I want to try and outrun the Zombies or stand and fight.[/QUOTE]

Did someone mention guns? Would that be a handgun or rifle?
I was forced into buying a new Springfield M1A National Match.I was surfing the net and found a dealer that actually had some.They seem to be rare in Canada,well lots of cheap Chinese made ones around. I prefer the real McCoy myself!
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Well, I've read that if you put headers on, your supercharger pressure rates drop.... not sure the overall benefit is there with just headers and no supercharger mods. And then add the cost of a refused warranty claim. ANY performance mods will get you denied IMHO.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
jlbabb

Drives: 1969 502 4 sp, 2013 ZL1, 2008 Z06
I put AR headers on my 2011 SS along with cold air & tune. It made 420 to the rear wheels. I have never had a supercharged car but plan on doing headers & pulley mod. I would do the cats as well if I were you. I have a bone stock 2008 Z06 & want the Zl1 to have that kind of power. It's gonna be a challenge with the extra weight. The Z06 is a beast. My 2011 SS pulled hard out of the hole but the Z06 just keeps pulling.
jlbabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
99firehawk
Order in on 13' ZL1 vert

Drives: 1999 Firehawk Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Well, I've read that if you put headers on, your supercharger pressure rates drop.... not sure the overall benefit is there with just headers and no supercharger mods. And then add the cost of a refused warranty claim. ANY performance mods will get you denied IMHO.
Not true from my experience.......the boost level won't change, but lower end torque suffers a tad with headers. They will help mid to high rpm though, assuming you are flowing more air through a CAI and ported intake and a matched tune to optimize those (btw....a ported intake is not essential with headers, just adds more air flow if done properly). Motors are just an air pump.

I put 1-7/8th Kooks stepped coated headers on my Magnum SRT8 with a 426 AFTER I put a 2.3L Magnuson supercharger on, and measured no boost level loss at any RPM on many dyno pulls. To compensate for the mild lower rpm torque loss, I change the torque converter to a 3000 stall and that combo is great!

I could be wrong with the LSA boosted motor, but it wouldn't make sense if boost pressures dropped.
99firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #13
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
I am definately slappin on some long tubes..not sure which yet.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa Joe View Post
......... and buy the .50cal I want instead. It all comes down towhether or not I want to try and outrun the Zombies or stand and fight.
I was forced into buying a new Springfield M1A National Match.I was surfing the net and found a dealer that actually had some.They seem to be rare in Canada,well lots of cheap Chinese made ones around. I prefer the real McCoy myself![/QUOTE]

I have a .50 AE on order (actually - a .44 mag that I have to convert to .50 because CA sucks), so, eventually - I'll do both

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99firehawk View Post
Not true from my experience.......the boost level won't change, but lower end torque suffers a tad with headers. They will help mid to high rpm though, assuming you are flowing more air through a CAI and ported intake and a matched tune to optimize those (btw....a ported intake is not essential with headers, just adds more air flow if done properly). Motors are just an air pump.

I put 1-7/8th Kooks stepped coated headers on my Magnum SRT8 with a 426 AFTER I put a 2.3L Magnuson supercharger on, and measured no boost level loss at any RPM on many dyno pulls. To compensate for the mild lower rpm torque loss, I change the torque converter to a 3000 stall and that combo is great!

I could be wrong with the LSA boosted motor, but it wouldn't make sense if boost pressures dropped.
It seems to me, in many cases, boost drops because it is more a measure of restriction. What is more important than actual boost is the volume of air you can push. If you can flow more volume at lower boost, you'll heat the air less (because physics and chemistry says that when you pressurize something, it heats up), which is, obviously, desirable. It could be your SRT8 just has a good exhaust already. I would've thought that little elephant had pretty restrictive manifolds (though - aren'y they multi-piece?), but maybe not as much as I assumed. That sounds like a cool combination!!!

I read a CTS-V header review in GMHTP several issues ago, and I think they reported a couple psi loss; not surprising... BUT... we have different manifolds and exhaust on ZL1 so it'll be a little different but probably not too much. What's MORE interesting is the latest issue where ADM installed a Stage 1 kit with an upper pulley, some intake goodies, isolator, ported snout, and tune, and picked up something like +60RWHP. Where the interesting facts were, were a new snout (the 'V was a new '12 model) with an additional vacuum port; but the car put down 520 RWHP on a dyno' that, in the past, 'Vs put down about 490... They suggested, perhaps, there were some more changes for LSA the '12 MY that weren't announced. Anyways - I'm just saying it'll be interesting to see how ZL1 responds to all these mods'
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 03-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
I'll put these on at some point or another, with a pulley upgrade and tune.
Attached Images

'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
usually with longtubes though placement is not correct. the factory uually puts the cats close to the manifolds now a days.
Long Tubes are definitely illegal in California. In fact, long tube headers are illegal in many states. It has to do with the distance between the engine and the catalytic converter.

Federal law doesn't mandate a pre-determined exact distance between the engine and the catalytic converter, but the distance of the exhaust tube before the catalytic converter is a Federal emissions issue due to fact that the longer the distance is between the engine and the converter, the more difficult it is for the converter to reduce cold start emissions.

The further the converter is away from the engine the longer the converter will take to reach its light-off temperature (the temperature at which the converter reaches a 50 percent conversion rate). Roughly 80 percent of the emissions measured during Federal emissions testing occur during the first few minutes after cold start. If the converter is too far away from the engine, the vehicle will not be able to pass Federal emission standards and, therefore, will not be able to be certified to be legally driven in any state in the U.S.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
hognutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa Joe View Post
......... and buy the .50cal I want instead. It all comes down towhether or not I want to try and outrun the Zombies or stand and fight.

I was forced into buying a new Springfield M1A National Match.I was surfing the net and found a dealer that actually had some.They seem to be rare in Canada,well lots of cheap Chinese made ones around. I prefer the real McCoy myself![/QUOTE]

50 cal rifle. looking at the new dessert tactical arms version. my friend has a M82 barret but it long and wieghs a ton. the zombies would deffinatly catch me if I had to pack it very far ha ha.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
hognutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Long Tubes are definitely illegal in California. In fact, long tube headers are illegal in many states. It has to do with the distance between the engine and the catalytic converter.

Federal law doesn't mandate a pre-determined exact distance between the engine and the catalytic converter, but the distance of the exhaust tube before the catalytic converter is a Federal emissions issue due to fact that the longer the distance is between the engine and the converter, the more difficult it is for the converter to reduce cold start emissions.

The further the converter is away from the engine the longer the converter will take to reach its light-off temperature (the temperature at which the converter reaches a 50 percent conversion rate). Roughly 80 percent of the emissions measured during Federal emissions testing occur during the first few minutes after cold start. If the converter is too far away from the engine, the vehicle will not be able to pass Federal emission standards and, therefore, will not be able to be certified to be legally driven in any state in the U.S.
everything is illegal in california really isn't it? ha ha. no .50cal. no Ar-15 with pistol grip, no messing with emissions.

This topic is really two fold. you can make longtubes pass emissions standards on a sniff test. ODBII computers detect when things are out of parameters with the rear 02 sensors as well so if the cats you choose don't throw a CEL light you are good around hear.

once you deviate from factory emissioins equipment though you usually violate some law in most states. Where I am located there is no testing so it is of no concern to me. In the portland area newer cars just get a diagnostic on the ODBII port to get you emssions test done so I could get buy in oregon no problem. older cars they do a visual and run them on the rollers.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
I'll put these on at some point or another, with a pulley upgrade and tune.
We're going to have to wait and see if those will work! There are new concerns with the lower pans, EPS, differential cooler lines and who knows what else. I hope they work, for your sake (and others), but they might not swap over. The head pipes sure look similar, however, we know the manifolds are new for ZL1 (at least the material), so there could very well be dimensional changes, too. You're a step ahead at least, and I hope they swap over with no problems

Quote:

Isn't it also accurate to say that removing the cats' and even replacing them is illegal unless the orignals are damaged or unfunctional? If that remains the case - all LTs could be illegal under these circumstances... It's BS to me, but what are ya' going to do?

Quote:
50 cal rifle. looking at the new dessert tactical arms version. my friend has a M82 barret but it long and wieghs a ton. the zombies would deffinatly catch me if I had to pack it very far ha ha.
I'd say: "one shot - one kill..." with that thing, but they're already dead Maybe: "one shot - two pieces..." is more accurate - maybe less than two... then that would be too long...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
everything is illegal in california really isn't it? ha ha. no .50cal. no Ar-15 with pistol grip, no messing with emissions.

This topic is really two fold. you can make longtubes pass emissions standards on a sniff test. ODBII computers detect when things are out of parameters with the rear 02 sensors as well so if the cats you choose don't throw a CEL light you are good around hear.

once you deviate from factory emissioins equipment though you usually violate some law in most states. Where I am located there is no testing so it is of no concern to me. In the portland area newer cars just get a diagnostic on the ODBII port to get you emssions test done so I could get buy in oregon no problem. older cars they do a visual and run them on the rollers.
No - no BMG in CA - sort of. I believe you can get away from that with a shorter case, but I don't recall the name of that specific cartridge. It's still the same caliber, but I believe it's just shorter. You can still get .500 magnums (S&M) here, but the list is rediculous. It's almost funny, but not really, because aside from ARs - what's the big deal?
Old 03-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
hognutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
No - no BMG in CA - sort of. I believe you can get away from that with a shorter case, but I don't recall the name of that specific cartridge. It's still the same caliber, but I believe it's just shorter. You can still get .500 magnums (S&M) here, but the list is rediculous. It's almost funny, but not really, because aside from ARs - what's the big deal?
It always cracks me up. they ban something. then the manufactures read the law and just make some minor tweak and then you can have almost the same thing. haha.

I am sure you could still rock the .416 barret, .08 cheytac, .375 cheytac, hell even a .338 lapua does just fine. I am just way cheap so i always pick which evern I can find ammo at the best price in case i am too lazy to reload.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
Long tubes are illegal in every state in the union. And it's 100% because of the catalytic converters. Which is an EPA violation to remove/move unless one is damaged. And you are also correct as to the reason. It's impossible to put the cats in their original location with longtubes. Meaning they don't get as hot as quick as they need to to work properly.

I don't recall what the fine is for an individual,I believe it was around $2k. But a shop installing them can be fined $50k(yes,thats $50,000.00) per incident.

For whatever reason though,the EPA hasn't turned their attention to longtubes & I have yet to hear of anyone being fined.
As a last,I'm not anti LT's at all....I have several cars running LT's & have never had a problem. Just throwing the info out as it is written.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #23
hognutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
Long tubes are illegal in every state in the union. And it's 100% because of the catalytic converters. Which is an EPA violation to remove/move unless one is damaged. And you are also correct as to the reason. It's impossible to put the cats in their original location with longtubes. Meaning they don't get as hot as quick as they need to to work properly.

I don't recall what the fine is for an individual,I believe it was around $2k. But a shop installing them can be fined $50k(yes,thats $50,000.00) per incident.

For whatever reason though,the EPA hasn't turned their attention to longtubes & I have yet to hear of anyone being fined.
As a last,I'm not anti LT's at all....I have several cars running LT's & have never had a problem. Just throwing the info out as it is written.
this is why I ceceded from the union long ago when it comes to emissions. It isn't illegal if you don't get caught. ha ha.

I AM ABOVE THE LAW!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #24
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Quote:
this is why I ceceded from the union long ago when it comes to emissions. It isn't illegal if you don't get caught. ha ha.

I AM ABOVE THE LAW!
ME TOO! Long tubes and no mufflers!
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #25
tpower
aka NO POWER

Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM #241
Im serioulsy thinking about a set of kooks for my ZL1