Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
mcernik

Drives: Rally Yellow SS/RS VIN # 3931
Interesting Facts on the L99 / Auto Combo

There were a couple interesting things I found out today playing with my Auto SS.

Yes it does appear that the car starts out in second gear when starting from a stop. I put it in drive went a little ways. Shifted it down to M, and hit the - paddle and you could hear it down shift to first.

When shifting into the M mode for using the paddle shifters when you initially put it to M the display on the DIC shows an S. When I saw that I thought hmmm. So I looked it up in the owners manual. When you first shift to M it puts it into Sport mode which will allow the auto trans to shift on its own at higher revs than in D. Once you use the paddles, it then shows M1, M2, M3, etc and then you are forced to do the shifting yourself.

Just thought I'd share for those interested.
mcernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Nice
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
GM'r_For_Life
9A108207

Drives: 95 S10
Thanks
I have never used tap shift to info will be helpful
GM'r_For_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #4
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
mcernik, is there anyway the transmission will start off in 1st gear from a standstill, other than by using the tap shift? (Does it also start off in 2nd gear in both Competitive Mode, or with Traction and Stability both turned off?) Thank you very much for your time!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
yay i was right the whole time lol i told some of yall a long time ago lol

sorry just playin around, but that isn't all that big of a deal but people do need to know this so they don't get there doors blown off by some kid in a mustang
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #6
cerberus

Drives: 2010 CGM
I just got my order pulled yesterday and I was wondering how you liked the Auto? Man, I didn't make up my mind until the last second on wheather to get an Auto or stick. I went with the Auto and I hope I made the correct decision.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
My auto is coming in Tuesday so I'll to wait to test some things myself, unless you've noticed. In sport mode (manual shift) will the transmission auto-shift into the next gear or will it bounce off the rev limiter until you shift it?
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Great information! Maybe this is why that knucklehead (Mr. Angry or whatever) said the acceleration wasn't good; he was starting in SECOND GEAR all the time. I think when you A6 guys start posting more and getting track times in, a lot more people are going to respect that combination a lot more.

JMHO. Thanks for sharing
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
mcernik

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
My auto is coming in Tuesday so I'll to wait to test some things myself, unless you've noticed. In sport mode (manual shift) will the transmission auto-shift into the next gear or will it bounce off the rev limiter until you shift it?
It will not shift until you tell it to.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
mcernik

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
I just got my order pulled yesterday and I was wondering how you liked the Auto? Man, I didn't make up my mind until the last second on wheather to get an Auto or stick. I went with the Auto and I hope I made the correct decision.
I got the auto because my left knee is kind shot from mogul skiing back in the day, and also the wife can drive it then. After playing with the tap shift a bit, it seems like if you had stick, you will be shifting youre @ss off. I'm glad I ended up getting the Auto.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
GJG

Drives: 2SS
a custom tune should be able to fix the 2nd gear thing.....right????
GJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcernik View Post
I got the auto because my left knee is kind shot from mogul skiing back in the day, and also the wife can drive it then. After playing with the tap shift a bit, it seems like if you had stick, you will be shifting youre @ss off. I'm glad I ended up getting the Auto.
Thanks for the info, I'm in the same situaton, broke my back in 95 in a motorcycle accident,paralysis in left leg. Sounds like the auto has got plenty of power/goodies. I'll be needing to go for a ride in a LS3/manual when opportunity presents itself.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
SoFlaZ

Drives: Nothing special :-(
Won't this cause premature wear on the torque converter? I'd think it would help the car got off the line better so possibly save gas in stop and go situations. I know past fourth gens did this but only for slippery roads and such only when you push the button.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
there was talk that you could shift from D to M while in motion

NOT ASKING YOU TO TRY IT, JUST IN CASE, BUT MAYBE THE OWNERS MANUAL SAYS SOMETHING ??

THANX
Old 05-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcernik View Post
It will not shift until you tell it to.
I was hoping that was the case. Someone on this board was convinced that it would shift regrdless and nevr bounce the rev limiter.

Every car I've driven that has this feature allows you shift from D to M while moving.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #16
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I was hoping that was the case. Someone on this board was convinced that it would shift regrdless and nevr bounce the rev limiter.

Every car I've driven that has this feature allows you shift from D to M while moving.
Did it in a Corvette during a test drive!
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
Won't this cause premature wear on the torque converter?
No. Torque converters aren't like clutches. At most, you might think that it might wear your transmission fluid a little quicker, but really...it's not like 2nd is super tall. This 6 speed transmission includes some pretty low gears. Autos traditionally have a taller 1st gear than manuals, but this one is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post
there was talk that you could shift from D to M while in motion

NOT ASKING YOU TO TRY IT, JUST IN CASE, BUT MAYBE THE OWNERS MANUAL SAYS SOMETHING ??

THANX
You folks scare way too easily. The computer won't allow you to hurt the engine/transmission that easily.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
No. Torque converters aren't like clutches. At most, you might think that it might wear your transmission fluid a little quicker, but really...it's not like 2nd is super tall. This 6 speed transmission includes some pretty low gears. Autos traditionally have a taller 1st gear than manuals, but this one is not.

You folks scare way too easily. The computer won't allow you to hurt the engine/transmission that easily.
^^lol my motto is u can never be too careful with things like this, i mean hey would u wanna be the reason someone dropped their tranny in their new maro??
Old 05-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post
^^lol my motto is u can never be too careful with things like this, i mean hey would u wanna be the reason someone dropped their tranny in their new maro??
I understand what you're saying there, but this technology isn't something new, and the engineers know what the drivers will do. If I can shift my 2002 automatic (which doesn't even have paddle shifters) whenever I damn well please (I can and do and 183,000 miles later it's fine), there's no reason that a transmission computer designed for that kind of input won't handle it safely.

Maybe an owner can post from their manual?
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #20
mcernik

You can drop from D to M while driving. Like I said it is still in "auto" sport when you initially drop to M, then if you tried say down shifting when you were going to fast you would get a message that you cant.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #21
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Great information! Maybe this is why that knucklehead (Mr. Angry or whatever) said the acceleration wasn't good; he was starting in SECOND GEAR all the time. I think when you A6 guys start posting more and getting track times in, a lot more people are going to respect that combination a lot more.

JMHO. Thanks for sharing
hey thats the thread i said that in lol

the way i figure it is why would any body think its any other way then that since the corvette is set up like that, why would they make the camaro better then the corvette
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Thats kinda cool, the auto has 3 settings. Thanks for sharing

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #23
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
So if your driving around with the transmission in M mode (not using the paddle shifts), will it downshift all the way to first on its own?

Basically how do you start out in 1st gear from a stop (as if your at the track drag racing) and you want the computer to do the shifting.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #24
69 Camaro 09

Drives: 69 Camaro, 010 2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
So if your driving around with the transmission in M mode (not using the paddle shifts), will it downshift all the way to first on its own?

Basically how do you start out in 1st gear from a stop (as if your at the track drag racing) and you want the computer to do the shifting.
+1, i would love to know this too
69 Camaro 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #25
Hooy
Will Drive For Food

Drives: Acura TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post

+2
Hooy is offline   Reply With Quote