Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
LSX engine in V6 Camaro

I'm kind of new to this kind of car stuff but I've been seeing a lot of videos where people replaced their original LS3/L99 V8 Camaros with GM Performance LSX engines. I was wondering, later on down the road when my LFX V6 engine breaks down (hopefully not, at least for a good 15 years), would it be possible to stick one of these LSX engines into my V6 Camaro?

I figure that if a V8 one can fit an LSX, a V6 one can do, same chassis and body. About $10k for a brand new LSX that produces around 700 hp seems like a steal to me!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
It could be done but you would need to replace the transmission rear end maybe the motor mounts the ride height the wheight distribution. You would need a lot of work time and money invested into it to do that type of change.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Plus ECU, pulleys, accessories, wiring, tranny, driveshaft, rear end, tuning.
Synner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
spyderbuddy

Drives: v6 rs inferno orange/inferno orange
But 15 years from know who knows?
Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, MBRP Exhaust tips, CNC Trottle Body,Trifecta Tune, Vararam Intake/Green Filter, Chevorlet door Sills, Trunk Black out, Side Grills and RX Catch Can/Breather Kit.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
It wouldn't be hard to do at all. I dropped my 3.4L v6 out of my 1994 Camaro and put an LT1 in there.

Because the 2010+ Camaro has a front frame such that you drop the entire front suspension + engine and trans out as one piece just like on my 1994, I would imagine all you would need to do is find the following items:

1) Front frame that the motor mounts to from an SS (assumption is that all the LSx engines mount the same)
2) LSx engine
3) LSx accessories (from an SS)
3) LSx compatible transmission (from an SS)
4) Engine wiring harness (from an SS)
5) ECU/PCM (from an SS)
6) drive shaft (from an SS) [this might not be necessary - depends on if the LFX, L99, LS3 have the same driveshafts]

You shouldn't need a new "rear end" since the 2012 rear differential is the same on all models. You might need to get a better gear ratio.

Basically - your best bet 15 years from now would be to buy an SS that was rear ended and then swap all the parts from the SS over to your car.

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
formare
Suspension by Pedders

Drives: Synergy Edition 13.71@102 1.95 60'
Truth in This Post... One exception though, the v6 auto rear assembly would need to be swapped. It is different.

Is very straight forward as long as you have a donner car to pull the v8 parts from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
It wouldn't be hard to do at all. I dropped my 3.4L v6 out of my 1994 Camaro and put an LT1 in there.

Because the 2010+ Camaro has a front frame such that you drop the entire front suspension + engine and trans out as one piece just like on my 1994, I would imagine all you would need to do is find the following items:

1) Front frame that the motor mounts to from an SS (assumption is that all the LSx engines mount the same)
2) LSx engine
5) ECU/PCM (from an SS)
6) drive shaft (from an SS) [this might not be necessary - depends on if the LFX, L99, LS3 have the same driveshafts]

You shouldn't need a new "rear end" since the 2012 rear differential is the same on all models. You might need to get a better gear ratio.

Basically - your best bet 15 years from now would be to buy an SS that was rear ended and then swap all the parts from the SS over to your car.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post

2) LSx engine
5) ECU/PCM (from an SS)

exatcly what ill be doing.
Just need a price on the SS harness and ECU
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
Truth in This Post... One exception though, the v6 auto rear assembly would need to be swapped. It is different.

Is very straight forward as long as you have a donner car to pull the v8 parts from.
I'm almost positive I read that for 2012 the v6 and v8 rear assemblies are the same (minus the gears)

Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
v8 and v6 manual has the same rear. I know this for a fact. I just had my 3.91's put in. Tracy also confirmed for me before I even had my gear change done.

As far as V8 swap. It can be done and shouldn't be as hard as some peoples make it seem to be. If you have the money, of course anything can be done. Most used v8 tranny combo(LS1, LS2, LS3, LS7, etc..) come with ecm and all original wirings. If I ever need a new engine and is not covered under warranty you better believe I will be sticking in a used LS2 or even a LS1. LS3 and other newer engines cost way tooo much.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Thank you sir - I knew I saw it somewhere but for the life of me I couldn't come up with any good keywords to search and find my proof.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan's camaro View Post
I'm kind of new to this kind of car stuff but I've been seeing a lot of videos where people replaced their original LS3/L99 V8 Camaros with GM Performance LSX engines. I was wondering, later on down the road when my LFX V6 engine breaks down (hopefully not, at least for a good 15 years), would it be possible to stick one of these LSX engines into my V6 Camaro?

I figure that if a V8 one can fit an LSX, a V6 one can do, same chassis and body. About $10k for a brand new LSX that produces around 700 hp seems like a steal to me!
This is exactly what I plan to do 10-15 years from now. It is possible, just a matter of getting all the right parts.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
v8 and v6 manual has the same rear. I know this for a fact. I just had my 3.91's put in. Tracy also confirmed for me before I even had my gear change done.

As far as V8 swap. It can be done and shouldn't be as hard as some peoples make it seem to be. If you have the money, of course anything can be done. Most used v8 tranny combo(LS1, LS2, LS3, LS7, etc..) come with ecm and all original wirings. If I ever need a new engine and is not covered under warranty you better believe I will be sticking in a used LS2 or even a LS1. LS3 and other newer engines cost way tooo much.
Its really not, most that say it is just think that its a waste of time. They probably haven't ever done an engine/trans swap either. But with enough money, and time you can do whatever you want with your car.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

I can agree with that - having done a v6 to v8 swap, I would only advise others to do it if the car holds a lot of sentimental value to you. Otherwise, it's much easier to just trade in the car for a v8.

Then again with the amount of appearance mods people are doing to their 5th gens, I can see how some would rather just swap engines than have to do all the appearance mods all over again.

Granted, my LT1 is old technology now but for $1,000 I was able to buy an entire LT1/trans/pcm/harness pull out, both doors from the car, the rear hatch, the rear bumper, all 4 rims and tires (including the spare!), both t-tops, and the entire body harness from engine bay to taillights. I spent another $150 on the k-frame. I then turned around and sold my good condition 3.4L v6 for $300, my good condition 4L60e for $300, the rear bumper for $25, the rims and tires for $100, and the t-tops for $100. For a stock swap, it only cost me $325. ...then I cammed it, had the trans rebuilt, new stall, etc, etc.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Kmorpheus
Account Suspended

Drives: Green Dream Machine
Just get another v6 and roll all that other money into a twin turbo setup. This is just my opinion on the best way to spend that money.
Kmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmorpheus View Post
Just get another v6 and roll all that other money into a twin turbo setup. This is just my opinion on the best way to spend that money.
Not dising the v6 at all but to me there is nothing like a the roar and rumble of a powerful v8. The v6 is incredible also but in its own way.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is online now   Reply With Quote